Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-drums-smtpupd-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 09:40:46 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Detailed Revision/Update of Message Standards
Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Simple Mail Transfer Protocol
	Author(s)	: J. Klensin, D. Mann
	Filename	: draft-ietf-drums-smtpupd-07.txt
	Pages		: 61
	Date		: 20-May-98
	
This document is a self-contained specification of the basic protocol
for the Internet electronic mail transport, consolidating and
updating
 
 * the original SMTP specification of RFC 821 [RFC-821],
 * Domain name system requirements and implications for mail
   transport from RFC 1035 [RFC-DNS] and RFC 974 [RFC974],
 * the clarifications and applicability statements in
     RFC 1123 [RFC-1123], and
 * material drawn from the SMTP Extension mechanisms [SMTPEXT].
 
It replaces RFC 821, RFC 974, and the mail transport materials of RFC
1123.  However, RFC 821 specifies some features that are not in
significant use in the Internet of the mid-1990s and (in appendices)
some additional transport models.  Those sections are omitted here in
the interest of clarity and brevity; readers needing them should
refer to RFC 821.
 
It also includes some additional material from RFC 1123 that required
amplification.  This material has been identified in multiple ways,
mostly by tracking flaming on the header-people list [HEADER-PEOPLE]
and problems of unusual readings or interpretations that have turned
up as the SMTP extensions have been deployed.  Where this
specification moves beyond consolidation and actually differs from
earlier documents, it supersedes them technically as well as
textually.
 
Although SMTP was designed as a mail transport and delivery protocol,
this specification also contains information that is important to its
use as a 'mail posting' protocol, as recommended for POP [RFC-POP2,
RFC-POP3] and IMAP [RFC-IMAP4].
 
Section ##2.3 provides definitions of terms specific to this
document. Except when the historical terminology is necessary for
clarity, this document uses the current 'client' and 'server'
terminology to identify the sending and receiving SMTP processes,
respectively.
 
A companion document discusses message bodies and formats RFC 822,
MIME, and their relationship - [MSGFMT].

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-drums-smtpupd-07.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-drums-smtpupd-07.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-drums-smtpupd-07.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.