Subject: 821bis, draft proto-09

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 11:43:14 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

DRUMS WG...

Due to the press of other work and various emergencies, I missed
the I-D submission deadline and apologize for this.  After a
discussion with Chris, I'm posting proto- draft 9 with this note
so everyone has a chance to review it prior to Orlando.

It is clear that we are getting down to the wire on this, with
many of the changes being controversial.  I have put a little
more effort into section X.1.2 (changes since the last time)
than usual, explicitly tracking points in the Chicago minutes.
Members of the WG are _strongly_ encouraged to check that those
changes reflect what they believe happened at the meeting and
are adequate and to review, check, and propose text for, the
sections called out by X.2 ("loose ends").

General observation about several flaming matches, e.g., the
ones about QUIT and 421 codes.  The text now follows, as nearly
as possible, what Barry and I independently recorded in Chicago.
It also is laden with qualifications about normal circumstances:
there has never been an expectation that a client or server
supply a message or wait forever for some event if it has
already been disconnected from the network, blown up, or the
victim of some other major catastrophe.   I would welcome
pointers to places where this needs to be further clarified, but
otherwise consider the issues closed unless Chris chooses to
reopen them.

Careful readers will notice that neither this version, nor -08,
completely preserves the carefully-crafted language needed to
advance this document faster than NOTARY, MIME, etc.  It was not
preserved in -08 more or less by accident; I just haven't taken
the time with this draft.  If that language is needed when we
want to advance the spec to Draft or Standard, we will fix it
then. 

     --john