Subject: smtpupd-09 still discourages correct POP handling

From: "D. J. Bernstein" <[email-masked]>
Date: 31 Jan 1999 02:54:08 -0000

> SMTP clients and servers SHOULD NOT copy the full set of RCPT TO
> command arguments into the headers, either as part of trace headers or
> as informational or private-extension headers.

In the case of _one_ recipient this is incompatible with modern use of
the Received line, X-Loop, Delivered-To, X-Envelope-Recipient, etc., as
I pointed out in August 1998. It destroys multidrop POP mailboxes.

The alleged justification---namely, that such copying ``defeats the
purpose'' of mailing lists and blind carbon copies---is incorrect in the
case of _one_ recipient.

Fix: Replace ``Especially when more than one RCPT command is present''
earlier in the sentence with ``If there is more than one RCPT''.

---Dan

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 01:11:40 +0300

> earlier in the sentence with ``If there is more than one RCPT''.

I have to agree with this.

--
Best Regards,
Alexey Melnikov
+----------------------------------------------------+
|SMTP/POP3/IMAP4/ACAP  | Epsylon Technologies, Russia|
|servers creation team |     http://www.taxxi.com    |
|----------------------------------------------------|
|Imap Development Kit (my own product)               |
|http://194.87.43.111/homerus/mail/idk/index.htm     |
|----------------------------------------------------|
|Fax (in San Diego, California): 1 (619) 8393837     |
+----------------------------------------------------+