Subject: Message Format WG Last Call items

From: Pete Resnick <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 15:54:45 -0600

Well, today is the day that ends WG Last Call on the Message Format 
document. I will be submitting -07 late this evening. The only 
changes since -06 are:

1. Changed the note in 3.6.4 to read:

Note: There are many instances when messages are "changed", but those 
changes do not constitute a new instantiation of that message, and 
therefore the message would not get a new message identifier. For 
example, when messages are introduced into the transport system, they 
are often prepended with additional header fields such as trace 
fields (described in section 3.6.7) and resent fields (described in 
section 3.6.6). The addition of such header fields does not change 
the identity of the message and therefore the original "Message-ID:" 
field is retained. In all cases, it is the meaning that the sender of 
the message wishes to convey (i.e., whether this is the same message 
or a different message) that determines whether or not the 
"Message-ID:" field changes, not any particular syntactic difference 
that appears (or does not appear) in the message.

2. After the sentence talking about "Re: " in 3.6.5, a sentence was added:

If this is done, only one instance of the literal string "Re: " ought 
to be used since use of other strings or more than one instance can 
lead to undesirable consequences.

3. Changed reference to RFC 2234 to simply [ABNF] so that it (and 
[SMTP]) can be appropriately cited when they both come out.

Speak up now if there are any final comments.

pr
--
Pete Resnick <mailto:[email-masked]>
Eudora Engineering - QUALCOMM Incorporated
Ph: (217)337-6377 or (619)651-4478, Fax: (619)651-1102