Subject: smtpupd-09 still prohibits disk failures

From: "D. J. Bernstein" <[email-masked]>
Date: 29 Jan 1999 12:29:59 -0000

If an SMTP client is in the middle of sending a message, and is unable
to read the next portion of the message from disk, it has to ruthlessly
close the connection.

> The sender MUST NOT intentionally close the transmission channel until
> it sends a QUIT command and receives the reply

This requirement is a reliability disaster. See above.

I've brought this up before. There's no dispute. Why hasn't the document
been fixed?

---Dan

---

From: Philip Hazel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 12:34:36 +0000 (BST)

> I've brought this up before. There's no dispute. Why hasn't the document

I suspect because "under normal circumstances" is generally understood to 
apply to the whole document. Perhaps that could be explicitly stated.

-- 
Philip Hazel            University of Cambridge Computing Service,
[email-masked]      Cambridge, England. Phone: +44 1223 334714.