Subject: smtpupd-09 and uppercase addresses

From: "D. J. Bernstein" <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 Jan 1999 15:55:49 -0000

> A few SMTP servers, in violation of this specification (and RFC 821)
> require that command verbs and certain argument text (such as the
> forward-path and reverse-path in RCPT and MAIL commands) be encoded by
> clients in upper case.

There is no evidence supporting the second parenthetical remark.

I brought this up in August 1998. The document editor blamed it on his
rush to make a bunch of changes. So why is it still in smtpupd-09?

Fix: ``A few SMTP servers, in violation of this specification (and RFC
821), require that command verbs be encoded by clients in upper case.''

---Dan

---

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 13:46:46 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

>...

Changed as requested.  Anyone wanting the deleted text back in
should speak up.

   john