Subject: Use of "Re: "

From: Wolfgang Segmuller <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 11:39:15 -0500

What about having another field that indicates the RE's and leaving the 
subject alone.  For example: a new field called "subject-re" which 
contains an integer that indicates the reply level.  If not present, then
this is an original message.  Now it's up to the client software to 
display this to the user, taking into consideration the charset, 
language and preferences of the user.

I'm not suggesting any changes to the existing documents.  If this has 
more interest, then I would suggest a new draft.

Wolfgang

---

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 18:16:29 -0800

> more interest, then I would suggest a new draft.

The References field can be used for this.  At any rate, the "Re:' 
convention in the Subject is very well established, and so needs to 
continue to be supported.

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 01:11:42 +0300

Randall Gellens wrote:

> The References field can be used for this.

References field doesn't tell whether message was replied or forwarded.

> At any rate, the "Re:'

Nobody asks yet to deprecate it.
I think that Wolfgang wants to define new [experimental] field for carrying
that information.

--
Best Regards,
Alexey Melnikov
+----------------------------------------------------+
|SMTP/POP3/IMAP4/ACAP  | Epsylon Technologies, Russia|
|servers creation team |     http://www.taxxi.com    |
|----------------------------------------------------|
|Imap Development Kit (my own product)               |
|http://194.87.43.111/homerus/mail/idk/index.htm     |
|----------------------------------------------------|
|Fax (in San Diego, California): 1 (619) 8393837     |
+----------------------------------------------------+