Subject: Fwd: Microsoft's SMTP service broken/stupid

From: Dan Wing <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 18:48:20 -0800 (PST)

The message below is from bugtraq and should be referenced with my
question:

  Does DRUMS describe the proper behavior clearer than 821/1123 such
  that a 4xy should be retried after a 'reasonable' interval for that
  transaction?

For example, a 4xy in response to "." is perhaps most likely to be caused
by a disk full condition -- and retrying immediately isn't likely to be
successful, but retrying a 'reasonable' time later may be successful.

-Dan Wing

-----

Date: 	Sun, 14 Mar 1999 20:49:30 -0600
From: Chris Adams <[email-masked]>
Subject:      Microsoft's SMTP service broken/stupid
To: [email-masked]

Our mail servers came to a screeching halt today thanks to Microsoft.
Our servers are still running sendmail 8.8 (we've got custom stuff and
are working on upgrading to 8.9, but it has been slow), so any kind of
DNS error (like invalid reverse DNS) returns a 4xx error - temporary
problem.  When we get a message like this, the sending site will requeue
the message and try again in 30 minutes to an hour.  After a bit, they
stop trying.  It is not a perfect solution, but it is all that is
available under sendmail 8.8 (sendmail 8.9 differentiates between
temporary and permanent DNS errors).

Well, that has been fine, but now Microsoft's SMTP service comes along.
When it gets that temporary error (for invalid reverse DNS), it tries
again.  Fast.  Like, right away, with no delay.  This bogs down our
servers a bit, especially the extra logging load, but eventually they go
away.

Yesterday, we got hit by four different servers running Microsoft's
software.  One attempted delivery nearly 200,000 times, and the other
three attempted to 30,000-40,000 times each.  This on a server that
usually sees ~40,000 messages a day.  This filled up our logs, bogged
everything down, and basically killed us.

This is not a configuration issue AFAIK.  In the past, I've worked
through it with one person, and he said he bumped up his retry time to 3
hours and his server was still attempting multiple deliveries per
second.

This basically amounts to a denial of service attack by Microsoft's SMTP
service.  Here is the connect string from several of the servers that
hit us (I've changed the hostname):

220-example.com Microsoft SMTP MAIL ready at Sun, 14 Mar 1999 21:44:02 -0500 Version: 5.5.1877.977.9

I was able to connect to several of the SMTP servers that hit us and
they are all running this version.  Several of them don't accept
incoming connections (gee thanks - send me junk and don't accept any
back).

I haven't been able to find anything at Microsoft about this.  I would
think that attempting several outgoing connections per second would tend
to bog down the NT server as well, so I figured they might have
mentioned it.  Has anybody else seen this?
--
Chris Adams - [email-masked]
System Administrator - Renaissance Internet Services
I don't speak for anybody but myself - that's enough trouble.

---

From: Dan Wing <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 18:48:20 -0800 (PST)

-Dan Wing

-----