Subject: Re: smtpupd-09 still discourages correct POP handling

From: Paul Overell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 10:08:47 +0000

In article <[email-masked]>, Alexey Melnikov
<[email-masked]> writes
>"D. J. Bernstein" wrote:
>
>> > SMTP clients and servers SHOULD NOT copy the full set of RCPT TO
>> > command arguments into the headers, either as part of trace headers or
>> > as informational or private-extension headers.
>>
>> In the case of _one_ recipient this is incompatible with modern use of
>> the Received line, X-Loop, Delivered-To, X-Envelope-Recipient, etc., as
>> I pointed out in August 1998. It destroys multidrop POP mailboxes.
>>
>> The alleged justification---namely, that such copying ``defeats the
>> purpose'' of mailing lists and blind carbon copies---is incorrect in the
>> case of _one_ recipient.
>>
>> Fix: Replace ``Especially when more than one RCPT command is present''
>> earlier in the sentence with ``If there is more than one RCPT''.
>
>I have to agree with this.
>

I agree.  Indeed for a single RCPT I would rather encourage, with a MAY,
putting this information into the trace headers, in particular, as Dan
says, for multidrop POP mailboxes. 

-- 
Paul Overell                                        T U R N P I K E  Ltd

---

From: Russ Allbery <[email-masked]>
Date: 01 Feb 1999 02:17:07 -0800

Paul Overell <[email-masked]> writes:
> Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]> writes
>> "D. J. Bernstein" wrote:

>>>> command arguments into the headers, either as part of trace headers
>>>> or as informational or private-extension headers.

>>> I pointed out in August 1998. It destroys multidrop POP mailboxes.

[...]

> I agree.

Make it four.

> Indeed for a single RCPT I would rather encourage, with a MAY, putting
> this information into the trace headers, in particular, as Dan says, for
> multidrop POP mailboxes.

I could go either way on this.  On one hand, I agree, it's a good idea,
but on the other hand we don't want to specify too much of how an MTA
should handle its tracing headers.

-- 
Russ Allbery ([email-masked])         <URL:http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>