Subject: Re(3): stripped-down client configuration (Address, MX RRs, A RR-only?)

From: Brad Knowles <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 10:06:31 +0100

On Sat, Jan 30, 1999, John C Klensin <[email-masked]> wrote:

>You are getting a little hyperbolic in applying this argument to
>this situation.  Many MUA authors do use name->mx->a, some
>don't.

    I don't doubt that there may be one or two MUAs out there that
attempt to do the right thing, but I do have to wonder just exactly how
many of them do?  And how many customers do they have?  You better
believe that I'm going to pound the snot out of the PowerMail developers
to "Do The Right Thing", but right now they've got bigger fish to fry
than dealing with name->a vs. name->mx->a, and I would be inclined to
believe that virtually all the other MUA authors are in the same boat.

>        I suggest that it is probably useful for us to provide
>some guidance as to what is expected here, and maybe the reasons
>why.

    Agreed.

>We can do this in the SUBMIT document?

    That would be fine, or we could put it off in a totally separate
group.  I don't care, I just want it to be clear and unambigous what we
will expect of MUA authors, and the distinctions we make between
transport and submission.

-- 
  These are my opinions -- not to be taken as official Skynet policy
 ____________________________________________________________________
|o| Brad Knowles, <[email-masked]>            Belgacom Skynet NV/SA |o|
|o| Systems Architect, News/mail/FTP Admin   Rue Col. Bourg, 124   |o|
|o| Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.11.11/12.49         B-1140 Brussels       |o|
|o| http://www.skynet.be                     Belgium               |o|
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
                The Sky is no longer the limit

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 18:05:06 +0300

> transport and submission.

I think it is better to add some wording that 821bis doesn't define the
level of MUA conformance, because MUA authors will definitely look for an
answer in this document first.

--
Best Regards,
Alexey Melnikov
-------------------------------------------
SMTP/POP3/IMAP4/ACAP servers creation team
Epsylon Technologies, Russia
 http://www.demo.ru

My fax number is
(in San Diego, California): 1 (619) 8393837
-------------------------------------------

---

From: Brad Knowles <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 17:56:21 +0100

Agreed.