Subject: Heads-up: base64

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 13:49:44 +0000

I found an inconsistency in RFC-2045; it's not a major point, but
I wanted to bring it to your attention so it can be ironed out if
2045 gets updated.  Excuse me if this is already a known point.

>From section 6.8 (page 25 in the canonical text version):

     All line breaks or other characters not found in Table
     1 must be ignored by decoding software.  In base64
     data, characters other than those in Table 1, line
     breaks, and other white space probably indicate a
     transmission error, about which a warning message or
     even a message rejection might be appropriate under
     some circumstances.

If you reject the message because of an illegal character, you
aren't ignoring it.

I'm not on this list, and I'm not inclined to spend any more time
on this, so don't worry about the dreaded "outsider blunders into
the list and starts arguing" scenario.  :-)

--
/=============================================================\
|John Stracke    | My opinions are my own | S/MIME & HTML OK  |
[email-masked]|============================================|
|Chief Scientist | NT's lack of reliability is only surpassed |
|eCal Corp.      |  by its lack of scalability. -- John Kirch |
\=============================================================/