Subject: [RFC Editor <[email-masked]>] RFC 2550 on Y10K and Beyond

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <[email-masked]>
Date: 01 Apr 1999 13:04:04 -0500

I suppose this is, on many levels, relevant to our recent discussion.

Subject: RFC 2550 on Y10K and Beyond
From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
To: IETF-Announce: ;
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 09:40:44 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2550:
 
        Title:      Y10K and Beyond
        Author(s):  S. Glassman, M. Manasse, J. Mogul
        Status:     Stinkards Track
        Date:       1 April 1999
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
		    [email-masked]
        Pages:      14
        Characters: 28054
        Pages:      14
        Characters: 28054
        Updates/Obsoletes/See Also: None
        I-D Tag:    draft-brrl-of-mnkys-02.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2550.txt

As we approach the end of the millennium, much attention has been
paid to the so-called "Y2K" problem.  Nearly everyone now regrets
the short-sightedness of the programmers of yore who wrote programs
designed to fail in the year 2000.  Unfortunately, the current fixes
for Y2K lead inevitably to a crisis in the year 10,000 when the
programs are again designed to fail.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Alegre Ramos
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.