Subject: Re: Take 2: References/In-Reply-To replacement text

From: Matt Curtin <[email-masked]>
Date: 01 Jun 1999 01:24:18 -0400

>>>>> On Tue, 25 May 1999 10:01:33 -0700,
    "Larry Osterman (Exchange)" <[email-masked]> said:

Larry> uniqueness regardless of the rhs.  For example, Exchange
Larry> generates the LHS of the message-id based on the 128 bit UUID
Larry> of the message store concatenated with the 48bit ID of the
Larry> message - this combination is guaranteed to be unique, even if
Larry> the RHS isn't.

The right side of the @ in a Message-ID absolutely should be a
legitimate FQDN.

Anything spewing Message-ID headers whose "host-part" isn't a
legitimate FQDN is broken.

This is important for scoring, preventing conflicts between systems
that use different Message-ID generation algorithms, and more.

Unfortunately, the work on Message-IDs is sitting in the to-do queue
over on USEFOR, and it's going to be quite some time before we finish
our "real work" over there and have the ability to devote any cycles
to the Message-ID issues...

Larry> Thomas Oscar Theodore Osterman Sent from
Larry> toto-laptop.dns.microsoft.com running NT5 and Outlook 2000 and
Larry> Exchange Server 5.5.  Please notify the sender of any
Larry> difficulties

OK, so am I talking to Thomas or Larry?

-- 
Matt Curtin [email-masked] http://www.interhack.net/people/cmcurtin/