Subject: Re: RFC822's Appendix D, and X- fields

From: Charles Lindsey <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 19:11:14 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 23 Feb 2000 17:05:28 +0100
	Jacob Palme <[email-masked]> said...

> 
> 
> At 09.50 +0000 0-02-08, Charles Lindsey wrote:
> > BTW, does IANA keep a registry of established headers for news/mail,
> > with pointers to the RFCs where they are defined?
> 
> I wrote a proposal for this some years ago, but it met with
> rather weak interest, so I never bothered to get it accepted.
> There was some contriversy about how strong the requirements
> should be for getting a header entered into the registry.
> Keith Moore wanted more thorough vetting, almost as for
> registering a new standard, while I wanted rather limited
> vetting, similar to what is done today for registering new
> Content-Type subtypes.

I think what I had in mind was to restrict it to those which had made it
into an RFC, with maybe a 'provisional' listing for those which had made
it into an internet-draft.

Charles H. Lindsey ---------At Home, doing my own thing------------------------
Email:     [email-masked]  Web:   http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Voice/Fax: +44 161 437 4506      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9     Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7  65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5

---

From: "D. J. Bernstein" <[email-masked]>
Date: 24 Feb 2000 21:39:52 -0000

> it into an internet-draft.

Great idea!

Let's allocate TCP port numbers the same way. IESG-approved protocols
will be assigned ports. Private experiments won't be assigned ports;
experimenters can simply pick ports in the 50000-65535 range.

Two experimenters might accidentally select the same port, you say? The
users and implementors will suffer if both protocols become popular?

Don't worry about it. History shows that all _useful_ protocols were
invented by Al Gore and approved by the IESG. Private experiments, like
this ``web'' stuff and this ``security'' stuff, don't _have_ any users.
So nobody will mind accidental conflicts.

---Dan