Subject: non-english bounce

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Aug 2000 12:31:01 -0400

[Slightly off topic, but...]

I finally received the inevitable -- a bounce message in a chinese
character set. Luckily, it was simple enough to figure out what it
meant, but I'm sure that in the future, with internationalized DNS and
message localization, it will become impossible for postmasters to
figure out what it is that various machines around the world are
trying to tell them.

--
Perry E. Metzger		[email-masked]
--
Quality NetBSD Sales, Support & Service. http://www.wasabisystems.com/

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 09:45:20 -0700

>figure out what it is that various machines around the world are

Actually, I've been noticing an increase of that problem for the ones in 
English...

d/

=-=-=-=-=
Dave Crocker  <[email-masked]>
Brandenburg Consulting  <www.brandenburg.com>
Tel: +1.408.246.8253,  Fax: +1.408.273.6464
675 Spruce Drive,  Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA

---

From: [email-masked] (Kai Henningsen)
Date: 13 Aug 2000 15:10:00 +0200

> figure out what it is that various machines around the world are

It's been some years since my fight with some italian machine spamming me  
with bounces, obviusly because of some mailing list - I never managed to  
find out which one.

Essentially, there was an Italian message that Joe User was not available,  
and *nothing* (like subject, message id, a bit of the body text, I'm not  
even dreaming about real headers) that would have allowed me to find out  
what triggered it. A lengthy dialogue with the postmaster in question was  
completely useless, as he didn't seem to understand that I had no idea,  
*and* no way to find out, what was causing the problem, and instead seemed  
to think I manually sent the mail to this guy I had never heard of.

Gah.

MfG Kai

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 15:33:54 -0400

this is part of why DSNs have such detailed error codes -
to make it feasible to decode error messages written in other languages.

unfortunately, few existing UAs decode DSNs.  but the capability is there.

Keith