Subject: Re: Last Call: Anti-Spam Requirements on an SMTP MTA to BCP

From: "John S. Quarterman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 1998 08:44:07 -0600

>At 02:16 PM 04-03-98 +0100, Sascha Ignjatovic wrote:
>>IT MUSST BE ABLLE FOR BIG COMPANYS TO SUE SUCH SPAM COMPANYS WHO USES
>>THEIR DOMAIN NAME-NOT ACUOUNTS  AND TRADEMARKS TO 
>
>There was a recent case in Texas (I believe) where a small-time spammer
>caused significant trouble for an ISP and a small company by using that
>company's domain name as a fake return address.
>
>The court found in favor of the small company that the spammer had damaged
>them and misappropriated their resources.
>
>The spammers can be slammed legally if the companies being abused will just
>do it.

This is all true.

For details about that case, see http://www.mids.org/nospam/.

Thanks,
John
-- 
John S. Quarterman <[email-masked]>
President, Matrix Information and Directory Services (MIDS)
[email-masked], http://www.mids.org, +1-512-451-7602, fax: +1-512-452-0127
1106 Clayton Lane, Suite 500W, Austin, TX 78723