Subject: Re: (mobile-ip) Mobile-IP Layers

From: Gerald Maguire <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 19:04:46 +0200 (MET DST)

The whole point of doing Mobile IP at the network layers is that
nothing above it has to change (from a functionality point of view).
There are cases where the higher layers will want to be aware of the
change in bandwidth, delay, ... - but this is currently outside the
scope of Mobile IP it just gets the packets to the mobile (like any
good network layer should).

Note that there are various proposals for transport layer changes to
avoid performance problems when your links change characteristic, such
as when the error rate of a link (typically the last hop) changes
significantly.

Chip
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF Mobile IP Working Group Mailing List - Archives:  software.watson.ibm.com
Unsubscribe:	unsubscribe mobile-ip		(as message body, not subject)
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]

---

From: Zhigang Liu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 14:20:36 -0500 (CDT)

I don't think there is a need to change the transport layer
in mobile-ip. The only change should be made in IP layer.
Isn't that a way the layered protocol engineering should be?

Zhigang

On Sun, 10 May 1998, Baher Esmat wrote:

> Hi all,	
> 	Concerning the conventional TCP/IP layering scheme, there was the
> Transport layer lying up to the Internet layer... If we switch to the
> Mobile-IP architecture, and assuming that our applications as well as the
> physical media are the same, what changes may happen to the Transport
> layer??? 
> Thanks...
> 
> 
> 
> 
> ____________________________________________________
> Baher A. Esmat
> Communications & Networking Department
> IDSC/RITSEC
> 11A Hassan Sabry st. Zamalek
> Cairo - Egypt
> Tel. 202-3391375
> Fax. 202-3412139
> E-mail [email-masked] 		                	
>