Subject: RE: Differentiated Services working group

From: Scott Bradner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 1998 15:11:34 -0500 (EST)

--
        [Yoram Bernet]  In this case, what is the appropriate forum for
discussing  the interaction of hosts with the diff-serv network? Ultimately,
it is the users of hosts who are the customers of the diff-serv network..
--

Two possibilities:

	There has been some discussion that RSVP could be used by
hosts to signal QoS requests to the routers that in turn would mark
packets to support the Differentiated Services functions.  I would 
expect that additional discussions of this could be done in the
context of the RSVP working group.

	After the Differentiated Services working group discussions
have produced specific proposals the topic of host interaction could
be taken up by the Differentiated Services WG or by a new WG.

opinions?

Scott

---

From: Scott W Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 1998 16:52:52 -0500

> be taken up by the Differentiated Services WG or by a new WG.

Yes, but we may already agree.  The issue of what is expected in terms of
edge signaling -- not the mechanisms but the expected functions -- does
have an effect on what we choose to do in diff-serv.  Some proposals don't
make sense without some kind of signaling from the end system to the edge
forwarders.  If edge interactions come up, in that context, we shouldn't
insist that they are out of scope.

...Scott too
--
Scott Brim    <[email-masked]>    +1.607.273.5472

---

From: Raj Yavatkar <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 1998 15:09:25 -0800

I agree. I am concerned that the chater seems to exclude the issue of
end-to-end semnatics and edge interactions. I believe, it will be useful to
include a discussion of the role of end systems, how and what signaling
would be used by applications to take advantage of what dif-serv offers,
and the expected end2end result.

is the chater still open for further discussion?

Thanks
Raj

>insist that they are out of scope.

-----------------------------------------
   Raj Yavatkar                                       
   Communication Architecture Lab           [email-masked]
   Intel Corporation, JF3-206                     voice -- 503-264-9077
   2111 NE 25th Avenue,  Hillsboro, OR 97124

---

From: Keith McCloghrie <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 1998 15:13:54 -0800 (PST)

I agree that the end2end result is important, but I think diff-serv
needs to be useful without requiring that all end-systems be modified.

Keith.

---

From: Jean Christophe Martin - Sun Microsystems <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1998 11:08:16 +0100 (MET)

Modifying all hosts to implement diff-serv is certainly not a good think,
but, you should not exclude the fact that the marking of packet is not
done only at the network boundaries. The conditioning is definitely to
be done at the edge, but as long as the marking follows a set of policy
rules, I don't see why it must be done at the same place.

Now, I'm not sure if the group should deal with "out of band" signaling
to diff-serv edges.
 
JC.

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 13:31:56 +0000

Jean Christophe Martin - Sun Microsystems wrote:
...
> Now, I'm not sure if the group should deal with "out of band" signaling

It won't. That's not in the charter.

  Brian Carpenter