Subject: Re: Admission Control

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 10:59:41 -0700

*> 
  *> I'd like to know something on the admission control. If on a backbone
  *> node there are a lot of reserveation both unicast and multicast, they
  *> are treated equally by the admission control.  A backbone node will
  *> have a lot of both types, even though it is likely that unicast
  *> reservation are in higher number than mcast ones.  But it is also
  *> logical that  they normally  last lesser ( suppose a concert or a long
  *> videoconference compared to an hypotetic   rsvp-phone-call  between two
  *> person ).  If mcast session gets in the admission control, even with
  *> little probability, but tend to be persistive, wouldn't there be the
  *> risk that slowly the active set  of session tends to be crowded by more
  *> mcasts than unicast session?
  *> 

If there is not enough capacity to meet the demand, a network
administrator had better charge more money and use the income to put
more capacity in place.  Or, for a private intranet, the administrator
can put in place any policy it wants with regard to different
reservations.

Bob Braden