Subject: CFP: IEEE Network SI on Integrated and Differentiated Services for the Internet

From: "Edward W. Knightly" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 17:15:08 -0600

Call For Papers - Special Issue of IEEE Network Magazine
on Integrated and Differentiated Services for the Internet

Guest Editors
=============

Hui Zhang                              Edward Knightly                        
School of Computer Science  	       ECE Department
Carnegie Mellon University  	       Rice University                       
5000 Forbes Ave             	       6100 Main Street                      
Pittsburgh, PA 15213-3891   	       Houston, TX 77005-1892                
				                                             
Phone:  (412) 268-8945                 Phone:  (713) 737-5748          
Fax:    (412) 268-5574                 Fax:    (713) 524-5237          
Email:  [email-masked]              Email:  [email-masked]   

Several important trends have emerged following the Internet's
success.  First, the Internet has evolved into a global and commercial
communication infrastructure. Second, Internet technology has become
the technical basis for not only the Internet, but also for most data
communication networks, both public and private. Finally, new and
diverse applications are emerging, including distributed multimedia
applications, making the inadequacies of a one-size-fits-all service
increasingly apparent.

These new developments challenge the original design goals of TCP/IP's
best effort service model and end-system-only traffic management, and
indicate potential opportunities for alternate service models and
traffic management schemes.  Consequently, new service models,
protocols, and resource management architectures have been proposed to
cope with emerging applications, and new business and administrative
requirements.  However, a number of questions must be addressed before
enhanced network services can be deployed on the Internet: What are
the appropriate service models?  What are the architectures and
algorithms required for multiple services to co-exist?  What are the
fundamental tradeoffs in scalability and granularity of quality of
service control?  This special issue of IEEE Network seeks to shed
light on the state-of-the-art and the future of integrated services
and differentiated services on the Internet.

Topics of interest include:

-Testbeds and trials for intserv and diffserv 
-QoS and scalability
-QoS in heterogeneous networks
-Multi-class scheduling architectures and algorithms 
-Internet admission control
-Per-hop-behavior definitions and approaches
-End-to-end QoS and service differentiation
-QoS routing
-QoS and aggregate traffic flows
-Aggregate vs. per-flow QoS
-Service measurement and monitoring 
-Pricing models
-Future of QoS on the Internet

Authors are requested to send an email to the guest editor, Ed Knightly, 
([email-masked]), giving a URL where a postscript or PDF file can be 
downloaded by the guest editors.

Important Dates
---------------
  Paper Submission Deadline: March 1
  Feedback to Authors: April 1
  Final Manuscripts to Publisher: July 1
  Publication of Special Issue: September 1999

http://www.comsoc.org/socstr/techcom/ntwrk/special/knightly_zhang.html