Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-rfced-info-suzuki-00.txt

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 1998 10:13:12 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Architecture of the Resource Reservation Service
	Author(s)	: M. Suzuki
	Filename	: draft-rfced-info-suzuki-00.txt
	Pages		: 17
	Date		: 09-Feb-99
	
   With the development of new multimedia applications, such as voice,
   audio, picture, and video communication, the demands on the resource
   reservation service are increasing, especially as Internet traffic
   volume grows explosively due to these applications.  Therefore,
   tariff systems for Internet service have tended to adopt measured
   rate billing, and the resource reservation setup protocol [1, 2] is
   increasingly important as a method for implementing measured rate
   billing.  The resource reservation setup protocol must support
   billing if it is to be applied to the commercial Internet, especially
   measured rate billing between interconnected Internet Service
   Providers (ISPs) is needed.
 
   The purpose of this document is to clarify the architecture that
   should be used for the resource reservation service for the
   commercial Internet.  First, this document explains the basis of the
   tariff for current telecommunication and Internet services.  Then it
   clarifies problems in the billing for Internet service, and describes
   how billing can be improved by using the resource reservation setup
   protocol.  Finally, it also studies technical and application models
   for a commercial resource reservation service model, and clarifies an
   architecture for the resource reservation setup protocol.

   Incidentally, it is essential to examine billing based on business
   administration issues, not technical ones.  For example, on a
   telephone service, it technically makes sense to charge the caller
   when the user being called is on another line.  This is because,
   telephone switches were in operation when they notified the caller
   that the number he called was busy.  However, such a billing policy
   is contrary to the customs of business. Readers should note that the
   billing problems and solutions discussed in this document are not
   only based on the technical viewpoint.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-rfced-info-suzuki-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-rfced-info-suzuki-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-rfced-info-suzuki-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

--NextPart
Content-Type: Multipart/Alternative; Boundary="OtherAccess"

--OtherAccess
Content-Type: Message/External-body;
	access-type="mail-server";
	server="[email-masked]"

Content-Type: text/plain
Content-ID:	<[email-masked]>

ENCODING mime
FILE /internet-drafts/draft-rfced-info-suzuki-00.txt

--OtherAccess
Content-Type: Message/External-body;
	name="draft-rfced-info-suzuki-00.txt";
	site="ds.internic.net";
	access-type="anon-ftp";
	directory="internet-drafts"

Content-Type: text/plain
Content-ID:	<[email-masked]>

--OtherAccess--

--NextPart--

----- End Included Message -----

----- End Included Message -----