Subject: IWQoS 1998 Final Program

From: "Edward W. Knightly" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 16:48:14 -0500

Below is the final program for IWQoS '98. Registration is now
closed as we're over booked, but proceedings can be ordered
soon from IEEE. Instructions will appear on the workshop's web 
page http://www-ece.rice.edu/conf/iwqos98

Best regards,
-Ed Knightly (IWQoS '98 co-chair)

_________________________________________________________________________

Sixth IEEE/IFIP International Workshop on Quality of Service (IWQoS '98)
                    -Napa, California  USA -
                        May 18-20, 1998
                
         Sponsored by IEEE Communications Society Technical 
         Committees on Computer Communications, Multimedia 
               Communications, Internet, and Software
 
               Technical co-sponsorship by IFIP WG6.1
                  In co-operation with ACM SIGCOMM
                 Patrons: Hewlett Packard and Nokia

===============
Monday May 18th
===============

 8:00 - 8:50 Continental Breakfast

 8:50 - 9:00 Opening Remarks: IWQoS '98 chairs
      Rich Friedrich, HP Labs
      Ed Knightly, Rice University

 9:00 - 10:00 Keynote Address:  Roch Guerin, IBM Research
      "Quality-of-Service: Too little or too much
      (How much optimization do we really need?)" 

 10:00 - 10:30 Coffee Break

 10:30 - 12:00 Technical Session 1: QoS, Scaling, and Large-Scale Networks
       Session Chair: Jorg Liebeherr, University of Virginia

 Full papers:
      Measuring and Analyzing Service Levels: A Scalable Passive
      Approach
      Manjari Asawa (Hewlett-Packard Laboratories)

      On Flow Aggregation for Multicast Video Transport
      Kentarou Fukuda, Naoki Wakamiya, Masayuki Murata, Hideo Miyahara
      (Osaka University)

 Position papers:

      Reservations for Aggregate Traffic: Experiences from an RSVP
      Tunnels Implementation
      Andreas Terzis, Lixia Zhang (UCLA), Ellen Hahne (Bell Labs)

      Aggregation of Internet Service States
      Steven Berson and Subramaniam Vincent (University of Southern
      California)

      Aggregating Resource Reservations over Multiple Routing Domains
      Olov Schelen and Stephen Pink (Lulea University of Technology)

      A Case for Proportional Fair Sharing
      Zheng Wang (Bell Labs)

 Session Panel Discussion

 12:00  Lunch

 1:30 - 3:00 Technical Session 2: Internet Resource Reservation
      Session Chair: Kang Shin, University of Michigan

 Full papers:
      On-line Measurement of QoS for Call Admission Control
      Matthew Siler and Jean Walrand (University of California at
      Berkeley)

      A General Framework for Deterministic Service Guarantees in
      Telecommunication Networks with Variable Length Packets
      C.S. Chang and Y. Lin (National Tsing Hua University)

 Position papers:
      QoS Enhancement and its Implementation in the vBNS
      Laura Cunningham, Chuck Song, and Rick Wilder (MCI)

      QoS Control via Robust Envelope-Based MBAC
      Jingyu Qiu and Edward W. Knightly (Rice University)

      High Quality and High Utilization - Incompatible Objectives for
      the Internet?
      Kalevi Kilkki, Jussi Ruutu, and Ove Strandberg (Nokia Research
      Center)

      Conservative Gaussian Models Applied to Measurement-Based
      Admission Control
      Francois Brichet and Alain Simonian (France Telecom)

 Session Panel Discussion

 3:00 - 3:30 Afternoon Break

 3:30 - 5:00 Technical Session 3: Economics, Pricing, and QoS
 Session Chair: Cormac Sreenan, AT&T Labs Research

 Full papers:
      Paying for QoS: An Optimal Distributed Algorithm for Pricing
      Network Resources
      Errin Fulp (NEC and North Carolina State University), Max Ott and
      Daniel Reininger (NEC), and Douglas Reeves (North Carolina State
      University)

      INDEX: A Platform for Determining how People Value the Quality of
      their Internet Access
      Bjorn Rupp, Richard Edell, and Pravin Varaiya (University of
      California at Berkeley)

      An Embedded Charging Approach for RSVP
      Martin Karsten, Jens Schmitt, Lars Wolf, and Ralf Steinmetz
      (Darmstadt University of Technology)

 Position paper:

      INDEX Project: User Support for Buying QoS with Regard to User's
      Preferences
      Jorn Altmann and Pravin Varaiya (University of California at
      Berkeley)

 Session Panel Discussion

 6:00 Welcome dinner sponsored by Nokia 

================
Tuesday May 19th
================
 
 8:15 - 9:00 Continental Breakfast

 9:00 - 10:00 Keynote Paper: Domenico Ferrari, Universita Cattolica Piacenza
      "Charging for QoS"

 10:00 - 10:30 Coffee Break

 10:30 - 12:00 Technical Session 4: QoS Architecture, Protocols, and Middleware
      Session Chair: Hermann de Meer, University of Hamburg

 Full papers:
      SRP: a Scalable Resource Reservation Protocol for the Internet
      Werner Almesberger (EPFL ICA), Tiziana Ferrari (University of
      Bologna), and Jean-Yves Le Boudec (EPFL ICA)

      SAAM: Integrated Network Architecture for Integrated Services
      Geoffrey Xie, Debra Hensgen, Taylor Kidd, and John Yarger (Naval
      Postgraduate School)

      Dynamic Authentication for High-Performance Networked Applications
      Phyllis Schneck and Karsten Schwan (Georgia Institute of
      Technology)

 Position papers:

      The Quality of Service (QoS) Binding Model
      Jan de Meer (GMD Fokus), Abdelhakim Hafid (University of Western
      Ontario), and Arno Puder (ICSI)

      Qualis: the QoS Component for the Globus Metacomputing System
      Craig Lee (The Aerospace Corporation), Carl Kesselman, Robert
      Lindell, Soonwook Hwang, Joseph Bannister (University of Southern
      California), Ian Foster, Alain Roy (Argonne National Laboratory)

 Session Panel Discussion

 12:15-1:30 Lunch and Panel 

 Panel: Hui Zhang, Carnegie Mellon University
 "The Future of Differential and Integrated Services in the Internet"
     Fred Baker         Cisco
     Yoram Bernet       Microsoft
     Raj Yavatkar       Intel
     Rick Wilder        MCI
     John Wroclawski    MIT

 2:00-3:15 Technical Session 5: Adaptive QoS 1
 Session Chair: Andrew Campbell, Columbia University

 Full papers:
      A Control Theoretical Model for Quality of Service Adaptations
      Baochun Li and Klara Nahrstedt (University of Illinois at
      Urbana-Champaign)

      Soft Real-Time Application Execution with Dynamic QoS Assurance
      Scott Brandt, Gary Nutt, Toby Berk, and Marty Humphrey (University
      of Colorado at Boulder)

 Position papers:

      A Study of Dynamic QoS Negotiation for Multimedia Applications in
      RSVP
      Antonio Loureiro, Vladimir de L. Santos, Carlos de C. Goulart and
      Jose Marcos S. Nogueira (Federal University of Minas Gerais)

      Robust and Secure Light-weight Resource Reservation for Unicast IP
      Traffic
      Anders Eriksson (Ericsson Telecom) and Christian Gehrmann
      (Ericsson Radio Systems)

      Satisfying QoS with a Learning Based Scheduling Algorithm
      Jason Hall and Philip Mars (University of Durham)

 Session Panel Discussion

 3:15 - 3:45 Afternoon Break

 3:45-5:15 Technical Session 6: Application QoS
      Session Chair: Klara Nahrstedt, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

 Full papers:
      User Services Assistant: An End-to-End Reactive QoS Architecture
      Bjorn Landfeldt, Aruna Seneviratne (UTS), and Christophe Diot
      (Inria)

      Network Support for Application-Oriented QoS
      Prashant Chandra, Allan Fisher, Corey Kosak, and Peter Steenkiste
      (Carnegie Mellon University)

      Development of Opinion-Based Audiovisual Quality Models for
      Desktop Video Teleconferencing
      Coleen Jones and D. Atkinson (U.S. Department of Commerce)

 Position paper:

      Content-based VBR Resource Allocation Model and its Application to
      Dynamic Network Resource Allocation
      Paul Bocheck and Shih-Fu Chang (Columbia University)

 Session Panel Discussion

 6:00 Board Bus for V. Sattui Winery, St. Helena for Dinner and Wine Tasting

==================
Wednesday May 20th
==================

 8:15 - 9:00 Continental Breakfast

 9:00 - 10:30 Technical Session 8: Adaptive QoS 2

 Full papers:
      Achieving High Utilization in Guaranteed Services Networks using
      Early-Deadline-First Scheduling
      Fabio Chiussi and Vijay Sivaraman (Bell Laboratories)

      Exact Emulation of an Output Queueing Switch by a Combined Input
      Output Queueing Switch
      Ion Stoica and Hui Zhang (Carnegie Mellon University)

      On the Speedup Required for Work-Conserving Crossbar Switches
      P. Krishna (DEC), N. Patel (Sycamore), A. Charney (Cabletron and
      MIT), and R. Simcoe (Nexabit)

      Algorithms for Providing Bandwidth and Delay Guarantees in
      Input-Buffered Crossbars with Speed Up
      A. Charny (Cabletron and MIT), P. Krishna (DEC), N. Patel
      (Sycamore), and R. Simcoe (Nexabit)

 Session Panel Discussion

 10:30 - 11:00 Coffee Break

 11:00 - 12:00
 Panel: Vaduvur Bharghavan, University of Illinois 
 "QoS in Wireless Networks: the Transition from Myth to Reality"
    Andrew Campbell   Columbia U.
    Randy Katz        UC Berkeley
    Upamanyu Madhow   UIUC

 12:00 Lunch

Technical Session 8: Adaptive QoS 2

 1:30 - 2:45
 Full papers:
      Decision Support in Cooperative QoS Management
      Stefan Fischer (University of Mannheim) and Hermann De Meer
      (University of Hamburg)

      Supporting Utility Fair Adaptive Services in Wireless Networks
      Giuseppe Bianchi, Andrew Campbell, and Raymond Liao (Columbia
      University)

 Position papers:

      UNITE: A Framework for Flexible QoS in Networks
      Gisli Hjalmtysson and K. K. Ramakrishnan (AT&T Labs)

      A Summary of QoS Support in SWAN
      T. Chen (Bell Labs), P. Krzyanowski (VenGen Inc.), C. Sreenan,
      (AT&T Labs Research), and J. Trotter, (Bell Labs)

      A General Model for QoS Adaptation
      D.G. Waddington and D. Hutchison (Lancaster University)

     Session Panel Discussion

  2:45 Closing Remarks and Announcement of IWQoS '99