Subject: IWQoS Program: May 18-20, Napa, CA

From: "Edward W. Knightly" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 17:57:11 -0500

Below is the preliminary program for IWQoS '98, May 18-20 in 
Napa, California. Full details are at the workshop's web page 
http://www-ece.rice.edu/conf/iwqos98

The deadline for hotel reservations (reduced rate) and workshop
pre-registration is Friday, April 24.

Best regards,
-Ed Knightly (IWQoS '98 co-chair)

---------------
Invited Program
---------------

May 18, Keynote Address:  Roch Guerin, IBM Research
"Quality-of-Service: Too little or too much
(How much optimization do we really need?)" 

May 19, Keynote Paper: Domenico Ferrari Universita Cattolica Piacenza
"Charging for QoS"

May 19, Panel: Hui Zhang, Carnegie Mellon University
"The Future of Differential and Integrated Services in the Internet"

May 20, Panel: Vaduvur Bharghavan, University of Illinois 
"QoS in Wireless Networks: the Transition from Myth to Reality"

-----------------
Technical Program
-----------------

Technical Session 1, Monday Morning, May 18th
QoS, Scaling, and Large-Scale Networks

 Full papers:
      Measuring and Analyzing Service Levels: A Scalable Passive
      Approach
      Manjari Asawa (Hewlett-Packard Laboratories)

      On Flow Aggregation for Multicast Video Transport
      Kentarou Fukuda, Naoki Wakamiya, Masayuki Murata, Hideo Miyahara
      (Osaka University)

 Position papers:

      Reservations for Aggregate Traffic: Experiences from an RSVP
      Tunnels Implementation
      Andreas Terzis, Lixia Zhang (UCLA), Ellen Hahne (Bell Labs)

      Aggregation of Internet Service States
      Steven Berson and Subramaniam Vincent (University of Southern
      California)

      Aggregating Resource Reservations over Multiple Routing Domains
      Olov Schelen and Stephen Pink (Lulea University of Technology)

      A Case for Proportional Fair Sharing
      Zheng Wang (Bell Labs)

 Session Panel Discussion

Technical Session 2, Monday Afternoon, May 18th
Internet Resource Reservation

 Full papers:
      On-line Measurement of QoS for Call Admission Control
      Matthew Siler and Jean Walrand (University of California at
      Berkeley)

      A General Framework for Deterministic Service Guarantees in
      Telecommunication Networks with Variable Length Packets
      C.S. Chang and Y. Lin (National Tsing Hua University)

 Position papers:
      QoS Enhancement and its Implementation in the vBNS
      Laura Cunningham, Chuck Song, and Rick Wilder (MCI)

      QoS Control via Robust Envelope-Based MBAC
      Jingyu Qiu and Edward W. Knightly (Rice University)

      High Quality and High Utilization - Incompatible Objectives for
      the Internet?
      Kalevi Kilkki, Jussi Ruutu, and Ove Strandberg (Nokia Research
      Center)

      Conservative Gaussian Models Applied to Measurement-Based
      Admission Control
      Francois Brichet and Alain Simonian (France Telecom)

 Session Panel Discussion

Technical Session 3, Monday Afternoon, May 18th
Economics, Pricing, and QoS

 Full papers:
      Paying for QoS: An Optimal Distributed Algorithm for Pricing
      Network Resources
      Errin Fulp (NEC and North Carolina State University), Max Ott and
      Daniel Reininger (NEC), and Douglas Reeves (North Carolina State
      University)

      INDEX: A Platform for Determining how People Value the Quality of
      their Internet Access
      Bjorn Rupp, Richard Edell, and Pravin Varaiya (University of
      California at Berkeley)

      An Embedded Charging Approach for RSVP
      Martin Karsten, Jens Schmitt, Lars Wolf, and Ralf Steinmetz
      (Darmstadt University of Technology)

 Position paper:

      INDEX Project: User Support for Buying QoS with Regard to User's
      Preferences
      Jorn Altmann and Pravin Varaiya (University of California at
      Berkeley)

 Session Panel Discussion

Technical Session 4, Tuesday Morning, May 19th
QoS Architecture, Protocols, and Middleware

 Full papers:
      SRP: a Scalable Resource Reservation Protocol for the Internet
      Werner Almesberger (EPFL ICA), Tiziana Ferrari (University of
      Bologna), and Jean-Yves Le Boudec (EPFL ICA)

      SAAM: Integrated Network Architecture for Integrated Services
      Geoffrey Xie, Debra Hensgen, Taylor Kidd, and John Yarger (Naval
      Postgraduate School)

      Dynamic Authentication for High-Performance Networked Applications

      Phyllis Schneck and Karsten Schwan (Georgia Institute of
      Technology)

 Position papers:

      The Quality of Service (QoS) Binding Model
      Jan de Meer (GMD Fokus), Abdelhakim Hafid (University of Western
      Ontario), and Arno Puder (ICSI)

      Qualis: the QoS Component for the Globus Metacomputing System
      Craig Lee (The Aerospace Corporation), Carl Kesselman, Robert
      Lindell, Soonwook Hwang, Joseph Bannister (University of Southern
      California), Ian Foster, Alain Roy (Argonne National Laboratory)

 Session Panel Discussion

Technical Session 5, Tuesday Afternoon, May 19th
Adaptive QoS 1

 Full papers:
      A Control Theoretical Model for Quality of Service Adaptations
      Baochun Li and Klara Nahrstedt (University of Illinois at
      Urbana-Champaign)

      Soft Real-Time Application Execution with Dynamic QoS Assurance
      Scott Brandt, Gary Nutt, Toby Berk, and Marty Humphrey (University
      of Colorado at Boulder)

 Position papers:

      A Study of Dynamic QoS Negotiation for Multimedia Applications in
      RSVP
      Antonio Loureiro, Vladimir de L. Santos, Carlos de C. Goulart and
      Jose Marcos S. Nogueira (Federal University of Minas Gerais)

      Robust and Secure Light-weight Resource Reservation for Unicast IP
      Traffic
      Anders Eriksson (Ericsson Telecom) and Christian Gehrmann
      (Ericsson Radio Systems)

      Satisfying QoS with a Learning Based Scheduling Algorithm
      Jason Hall and Philip Mars (University of Durham)

 Session Panel Discussion

Technical Session 6, Tuesday Afternoon, May 19th
Application QoS

 Full papers:
      User Services Assistant: An End-to-End Reactive QoS Architecture
      Bjorn Landfeldt, Aruna Seneviratne (UTS), and Christophe Diot
      (Inria)

      Network Support for Application-Oriented QoS
      Prashant Chandra, Allan Fisher, Corey Kosak, and Peter Steenkiste
      (Carnegie Mellon University)

      Development of Opinion-Based Audiovisual Quality Models for
      Desktop Video Teleconferencing
      Coleen Jones and D. Atkinson (U.S. Department of Commerce)

 Position paper:

      Content-based VBR Resource Allocation Model and its Application to
      Dynamic Network Resource Allocation
      Paul Bocheck and Shih-Fu Chang (Columbia University)

 Session Panel Discussion

Technical Session 7, Wednesday Morning, May 20th
QoS Scheduling and Switching

 Full papers:
      Achieving High Utilization in Guaranteed Services Networks using
      Early-Deadline-First Scheduling
      Fabio Chiussi and Vijay Sivaraman (Bell Laboratories)

      Exact Emulation of an Output Queueing Switch by a Combined Input
      Output Queueing Switch
      Ion Stoica and Hui Zhang (Carnegie Mellon University)

      On the Speedup Required for Work-Conserving Crossbar Switches
      P. Krishna (DEC), N. Patel (Sycamore), A. Charney (Cabletron and
      MIT), and R. Simcoe (Nexabit)

      Algorithms for Providing Bandwidth and Delay Guarantees in
      Input-Buffered Crossbars with Speed Up
      A. Charny (Cabletron and MIT), P. Krishna (DEC), N. Patel
      (Sycamore), and R. Simcoe (Nexabit)

 Session Panel Discussion

Technical Session 8, Wednesday Afternoon, May 20th
Adaptive QoS 2

 Full papers:
      Decision Support in Cooperative QoS Management
      Stefan Fischer (University of Mannheim) and Hermann De Meer
      (University of Hamburg)

      Supporting Utility Fair Adaptive Services in Wireless Networks
      Giuseppe Bianchi, Andrew Campbell, and Raymond Liao (Columbia
      University)

 Position papers:

      UNITE: A Framework for Flexible QoS in Networks
      Gisli Hjalmtysson and K. K. Ramakrishnan (AT&T Labs)

      A Summary of QoS Support in SWAN
      T. Chen (Bell Labs), P. Krzyanowski (VenGen Inc.), C. Sreenan,
      (AT&T Labs Research), and J. Trotter, (Bell Labs)

      A General Model for QoS Adaptation
      D.G. Waddington and D. Hutchison (Lancaster University)

     Session Panel Discussion