Subject: source rate question.

From: "william k. wong" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 15:47:57 -0800 (PST)

Dear all,

I hope this is right WGs for the following question. If not please
direct me to the right WG. 

This might sound trivial to you. Nonetheless, I hope someone can shed some
light on this.

I am trying to simulate my scheduling scheme (e.g. WFQ). I have already
made VBR sources(f-ARIMA) and ON-OFF (long range dependence) voice and
data sources. My Leaky Bucket and Token Bucket are complete. The question is
how do I know what the mean rate of my sources are, so I can set the
appropriate LB/TB parameters. Is the mean rate simply the (total bit in a
simulation interval)/(simulation interval). Or is it the statistical mean
of {x1...xn} where xi is the number of bits, bi, per interval t_i and
t_i+1. Or is it a rate for certain loss(or tagged) and delay specified.

In the real situation, the user will never be able to know exactly
what the mean rate of the application is, let alone notifying the network
provider. 

I think this rate is essential, even for the WFQ implementation where the
minimum bandwidth must be specified.

Thank you in advance,

William.