Subject: Intserv with ATM

From: Shahram Davari <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 09:30:19 -0700

Hi all,

Does anybody know of how to map Intserv to ATM classes of service? Is there
any I-D or other documents about it?

As you know ATM forum has decided to map Diffserv to UBR. Should Intserv be
mapped to UBR too?

Thanks for your comments,

                            _\\|//_
                            ( O-O )
   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~o00~~(_)~~00o~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Shahram Davari
          Systems Engineer, Product Research
          PMC-Sierra Inc. 
          105-8555 Baxter Place
          Burnaby, BC V5A 4V7, Canada
          Phone: +1 (604) 415-6000, Ext. 2428
                         oooO
   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(   )~~ Oooo~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          \ (    (   )
                           \_)    ) /
                                 (_/

---

From: John Wroclawski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 13:21:26 -0400

Shahram,

>any I-D or other documents about it?

Four RFC's from the ISSLL WG address this:

ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2379.txt
ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2380.txt
ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2381.txt
ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2382.txt

>As you know ATM forum has decided to map Diffserv to UBR. Should Intserv be

That is a very strange statement. "Diffserv" as a whole can't 
reasonably be mapped to any single ATM service, and neither of the 
currently published new PHB's (EF, AF) could reasonably be mapped to 
UBR since they require an explicit bandwidth allocation.

Regards,
John

---

From: "Hungkei (Keith) Chow" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 13:48:27 -0400

check "Interoperation of Controlled-Load Service and Guaranteed Service
with ATM (RFC 2381)" at ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2381.txt

-- Keith.