Subject: Call for Papers (IEEE Network Magazine -- Special Issue on Multicasting)

From: Sanjoy Paul <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 09:33:35 -0500

Please excuse me if you receive multiple copies of this announcement.
Sorry to bother you if you shouldn't have received this.

- Sanjoy Paul

IEEE Network Magazine - Special Issue on Multicasting 

Guest Editor:

Sanjoy Paul
Room 4G-532, Bell Laboratories
101 Crawfords Corner Road
Holmdel, NJ 07733
Phone: (732) 949-1637
Fax: (732) 949-9118
WWW: http://www.bell-labs.com/user/sanjoy
email: [email-masked]

Scope:

Multicasting is a fundamental communication paradigm for 
supporting one-to-many communications. There are several 
key applications, such as, real-time distribution of market 
data, website replication, push-based applications, 
distributed database synchronization, multimedia streaming, 
multi-party conferencing, distributed interactive 
simulations (DIS), distributed multi-party games etc. which 
cannot be supported in a scalable way on the Internet without 
multicasting. This special issue covers the technology needed 
to make multi-party communication a reality and the challenges 
that need to be addressed.

Topics of interest for technical papers include but are not 
limited to:

	Multicast routing algorithms and protocols
	Multicast transport protocols
	Multicast applications
	Multicast Traffic Engineering
	Quality-of-service support for multicast communication
	Mobile multicast
	Charging and billing for multicast 
	Novel architectures to support multicast 
	Role of satellites in multicast
	Novel applications 
	Multicast security and privacy issues

We are especially interested in research papers that describe 
real systems and experiments and also good tutorial papers on 
any one or more of the above-mentioned topics. Work-in-progress 
papers describing the state of on-going research projects in 
multicasting are also encouraged. 

Research papers should demonstrate the feasibility of the approach 
and describe the state of realization. Case studies and applied 
papers should discuss the key factors that made the system work 
and should also mention the problems encountered and their potential 
solutions. Tutorial papers must be based on a detailed survey of the 
literature and written in a simple-to-understand manner.

Submission, Approval, Review, and Acceptance:

Authors are requested to send e-mail to the guest-editor, Sanjoy Paul
([email-masked]), giving a URL from where a postscript 
or PDF file can be downloaded by the guest-editor.

Upon approval by the guest-editor, all feature articles will then 
undergo a technical peer review consistent with other archival 
publications. Potential authors may wish to consult the 
sections on author information and guidelines for reviewers, which 
are given at http://www.comsoc.org/socstr/techcom/ntwrk.

More details on the submission guidelines can be found in
http://www.computer.org/internet/edguide.htm and
http://www.comsoc.org/socstr/techcom/ntwrk

Schedule:

Call for Papers: March 1, 1999
Submission Deadline: July 1, 1999
Acceptance Notification: September 1, 1999
Final Manuscripts Due: October 1, 1999
Publication of Completed Special Issue: January/February 2000