Subject: guranteed services

From: Sanjay <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 12:09:26 +0000

I had a couple of questions on the specification for Guaranteed services. 
the spec states that policing in the
core of the network should be done by reshaping. Also a note does point out 
that a router not doing reshaping
can still identify non-conforming datagrams. given this fact apart from 
implementing the token bucket at the
source merge points is it still necessary to implement the token bucket at 
each hop ?

the other question I had was to do with implementations of guaranteed 
services. Is there a preferred method to
implement guaranteed services. The question I had has to do with CBQ and 
its relevance to guaranteed services.
As I see it CBQ does include a (a)classifier (b)estimator (c)scheduler. If 
one does implements just CBQ on each
element in the network, can the network claim to provide guaranteed 
services ? Can the estimator be viewed as a
policing entity and the scheduler as the shaping entity ?

--Sanjay