Subject: IntServ vs. DiffServ

From: Heejune Ahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 15:31:15 +0100

Dear all,

I am a teletraffic engineer with some strength in preventive traffic
control and video traffic.

I have a old question on the activity of Intserv and DiffServ.
For clarity of discussion, I will mention the paper of Xiao and Ni,"
Internet QoS: the Big picure" in IEEE Network Magazin.

As I understand, IntServ borrowing the reservation concept from ATM
society (this is not focus of my question).
Then people found that IntServ is difficut to provide due to the
scalability limit.
So, now DiffServ approach classifies the packets and then handle
accoridng to the class.

So, my question is
whether Diff serv will replace the IntServ approach.
Whther two are agaianst each other?

Some people in their paper say that IntServ could used in access net
work and then Diffserv in Core net.
I think this is very absurd opinion, since traffic though both IntServ
and Diffserv could not be a IntServiced traffic.

And, RSVP mechanism have been developed for IntServ.
Now DiffServ also try to use RSVP or -like signalling for itself.
Then could be the RSVP same as before ?

Please give me more clear picture, or a nice refernce for me!

Thanks..

--
 +--------------------------------------------------------------+
  Heejune Ahn
  emailto:[email-masked]
  Tel : +49-9131-85-27116                 Fax : +49-9131-85-28849
  URL: http://vishws.kaist.ac.kr/~cityboy
  A PH.D. Candidate | Research Engineer | Visiting Researcher
  KAIST , Korea     | LGIC, Korea       | Uni. Erlangen, Germany
 +--------------------------------------------------------------+