Subject: Second Internet2 Joint Applications Engineering QoS Workshop (February 9-10)

From: Ben Teitelbaum <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 23:56:35 -0500

-------------------------------------------------------------------

   Second Internet2 Joint Applications Engineering QoS Workshop
           "QBone: Early Experiences and the Road Ahead"

     February 9-10, 2000 Texas Medical Center, Houston, Texas
                  Sponsored by the Texas GigaPoP
             http://www.internet2.edu/qos/wg/i2QoS00/

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Apologies if you receive this announcement multiple times!
-------------------------------------------------------------------

This workshop will take stock of the progress that the QBone
initiative has made toward realizing Internet2 QoS goals,
characterize the challenges that lay ahead, and increase
understanding of how recent QoS research and standards work might
be leveraged to accelerate the development of production QoS
services throughout Internet2 and the emerging next generation
internet (NGI) infrastructure.

It is expected that there will be strong representation from
campus network planners, advanced applications developers, chief
information officers (CIOs), gigaPoP planners, US federal mission
networks, NGI investigators, and members of the network research
community.

A program committee chaired by John Wroclawski <[email-masked]>
(MIT) is building the technical program in cooperation with the
Internet2 QoS Working Group. Suggestions for speakers, panels, or
BOFs are encouraged and should be made to the chair.

Program Committee

   * John Wroclawski (MIT, Chair)
   * Yoram Bernet (Microsoft)
   * Scott Bradner (Harvard)
   * Steve Corbato (Univ. of Washington)
   * Bruce Davie (Cisco)
   * Jaron Lanier (Advanced Network & Services)
   * Ben Teitelbaum (Internet2)
   * Linda Winkler (ANL)
   * Hui Zhang (CMU)

Internet2 QoS Working Group

   * Osama Aboul-Magd (Nortel)
   * Andy Adamson (University of Michigan)
   * Grenville Armitage (Lucent)
   * Fred Baker / Larry Dunn (Cisco Systems)
   * Steve Blake (Torrent Networks)
   * Scott Bradner (Harvard University)
   * Scott Brim (Newbridge Networks)
   * John Coulter (CA*Net2)
   * Troy Dixler (Packet Engines)
   * Cliff Frost (UC Berkeley)
   * Rudiger Geib (Deutsche Telekom)
   * Terry Gray (University of Washington)
   * Roch Guerin (University of Pennsylvania)
   * Susan Hares (Merit)
   * Russ Hobby (UC Davis)
   * Jay Kistler (Fore Systems)
   * Ken Klingenstein (Colorado)
   * Dilip Kandlur (IBM)
   * Joseph Lappa (CMU)
   * Jian Q. Li (Qwest)
   * Vishy Narayan (NASA NREN)
   * Klara Nahrstedt (University of Illinois)
   * Kathleen Nichols (IETF representative)
   * Becca Nitzan (ESNet)
   * Ken Peirce (3Com)
   * John Sikora (AT&T Labs)
   * Chuck Song/Laura Cunningham (MCI vBNS)
   * Ben Teitelbaum (Internet2, Chair)
   * John Wroclawski (MIT)

Important Dates

      December 22nd, 1999    Talk Proposals Due

      January 18th, 2000     Notification of Acceptance / Agenda
                             Finalized
      January 25th, 2000     Hotel Room Block Released

      February 2nd, 2000     Session Talks Due

      February 9th-10th      Workshop

Background & Goals

     Since May 1998, the Internet2 project has focused on a
     QoS strategy that builds upon the work of the IETF
     differentiated services architecture (DiffServ) to
     engineer scalable interdomain QoS services in support of
     QoS-needy Internet2 applications. In November 1998, the
     QBone initiative was launched to develop and deploy an
     architecture for exploring the engineering and science
     of new IP network services in the context of an
     interdomain testbed that makes new QoS services
     incrementally available to the developers and users of
     advanced applications. This workshop will take stock of
     the progress that has been made toward realizing the
     QBone, characterize the challenges that lay ahead, and
     understand how recent QoS research and standards work
     might be leveraged to accelerate the development of
     production QoS services throughout Internet2.

     The Internet2 QoS Working Group outlined QoS
     requirements for the project in May 1998 that remain as
     valid today as they were then. Foremost among these are:
     1) relevance towards meeting the needs of advanced
     applications; 2) scalability to high forwarding rates,
     large numbers of QoS-enabled flows, and large numbers of
     hosts/users (administrative scalability); 3)
     interoperability between heterogeneous network clouds
     and between individual network elements from multiple
     vendors. The IETF DiffServ architecture offers a basis
     for meeting these requirements, while leaving many
     design questions for the individual network or user. The
     contribution of the QBone is to explore a design space
     empirically within the Internet2 environment that
     includes such questions as:

        * Which services are most useful to which
          classes of application and can those services
          be provided within the current architectural
          model?
        * Are more sophisticated per-hop behaviors
          (PHBs) or edge conditioning devices required?
        * What are the best techniques and technologies
          for engineering DiffServ
          campus/gigaPoP/backbone networks?
        * What are the obstacles to deploying  new,
          advanced IP QoS services across independently
          administered Internet2 and NGI networks.
        * What is an appropriate signaling model for
          establishing end-to-end interdomain
          reservations? And, is it useful to have more
          than one--for example, to support both
          signaled long-term contracts and signalled
          on-demand spot reservations?
        * How should the network and/or applications be
          instrumented to provide the measurements
          necessary to debug, audit, and analyze the
          performance of new DiffServ services?

     These and other issues are being investigated by network
     planners, engineers, and researchers in the context of
     the QBone initiative and in the IETF. In the first year
     of the QBone, significant progress has been made in many
     areas. In others, however, there remain many hard
     problems.

     It is an explicit goal of this workshop to communicate
     the experiences and insights of those who have been
     directly involved to those who are potential customers
     of QoS technology, researchers and developers working in
     related areas, and network planners, administrators, and
     strategists.

     Specifically, it is hoped that there be strong
     representation from: campus network planners, advanced
     applications developers, chief information officers
     (CIOs), gigaPoP planners, US federal mission networks,
     NGI investigators, and members of the network research
     community. Each of these groups has a distinct and
     valuable perspective to offer.

     Proposals for presentations or panels should be
     submitted to the program committee no later than
     December 1, 1999. Potential topics of interest include:

        * Progress reports on the design and specification
          of:
             o QBone Architecture;
             o QBone Measurement Architecture;
             o QBone Bandwidth Broker Trials;
        * Experience reports from network engineers
          implementing the QBone architecture in different
          environments;
        * Related QoS testbed projects and efforts to assure
          interoperability between them;
        * Experience reports from applications developers and
          users who have begun to evaluate the performance of
          new QBone services in the context of specific
          application needs;
        * Design and development reports from the
          implementors of new QoS network management tools
          (i.e. bandwidth brokers);
        * Surveys of relevant standards activities;
        * Reports on relevant recent networking research;
        * Short "outrageous opinions" statements ;

Local Arrangements

     A block of local hotel rooms has been reserved.  More information
     may be found here: 
     http://www.internet2.edu/qos/wg/i2QoS00/#hotels

Registration

     For planning purposes, pre-registration by January 26th, 2000 is
     strongly encouraged.  To register, please visit:
     http://www.internet2.edu/qos/wg/i2QoS00/#registration