Subject: Difference in CLS and GS

From: "Navin kumar Agrawal" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 15:06:14 +0530

Hi All,

As I didn't get any reply for my previous mail, I am resending the
same, but this time it is in concise form.

In my opinion the only difference between GS and CLS is that
in case of GS the bandwidth to be reserved is estimated based
on the some info...whereas in case of CLS there is no estimation...

So from the implementation point of view, a network element, which
supports both kind of services i.e. CLS and GS, the difference in
implementation would differ only in the amount of bandwidth to reserve.

Begin
  If ( qos class is CLS)
  {
      req_bw = r
   }
   Else if (qos class is GS)
   {
       req_bw = R
    }
    reserve_bw (req_bw)
End

In my opinion, the above would be the only difference in the
implementation of GS and CLS (Here the Slack term is being
neglected and also the updating of Adspec object is not taken up).
And as this piece of code will be in admission control module, the
packet classifier/scheduler code will be independent of GS, CLS.

Is this understanding correct? If not, please clarify.

Regards,
Navin

---

From: Roch Guerin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 15:25:49 -0400

> neglected and also the updating of Adspec object is not taken up).

Then this cannot be GS.  You must have an updated ADSPEC to allow
proper rate computations at the receiver.
ADSPEC update will depend on the type of link scheduler you have
in your node.

Roch