Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-intserv-compress-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 07:03:47 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Integrated Services Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Integrated Services in the Presence of Compressible 
                          Flows
	Author(s)	: B. Davie, S. Casner,  C. Iturralde,  D. Oran,
                          J. Wroclawski       
	Filename	: draft-ietf-intserv-compress-01.txt
	Pages		: 13
	Date		: 31-Aug-99
	
An Integrated Services router performs admission control and resource
allocation based on the information contained in a TSpec (among other
things).  As currently defined, TSpecs convey information about the
data rate (using a token bucket) and range of packet sizes of the
flow in question. However, the TSpec may not be an accurate
representation of the resources needed to support the reservation if
the router is able to compress the data at the link level.  This
specification describes an extension to the TSpec which enables a
sender of potentially compressible data to provide hints to int-serv
routers about the compressibility they may obtain.  Routers which
support appropriate compression take advantage of the hint in their
admission control decisions and resource allocation procedures; other
routers ignore the hint.  An initial application of this approach is
to notify routers performing RTP header compression that they may
allocate fewer resources to RTP flows.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-intserv-compress-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-intserv-compress-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-intserv-compress-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: John Wroclawski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 16:02:36 -0400

Gentlepeople,

This note is to start a working group last call for the I-D described 
below. Since this version of the I-D is thought to address all of the 
comments that were received about the last one, and since there 
weren't very many of those, we'll keep the last call fairly short and 
take comments through the end of the day Monday, September 13.

Thanks,
John