Subject: Draft of interest to RSVP & Int-serv WGs

From: Bruce Davie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 18:31:58 -0500

The following recently posted draft may be of interest. 

Bruce Davie

----------
 Integrated Services in the Presence of Compressible Flows

                  draft-davie-intserv-compress-00.txt

Abstract

   An Integrated Services router performs admission control and resource
   allocation based on the information contained in a TSpec (among other
   things).  As currently defined, TSpecs convey information about the
   data rate (using a token bucket) and range of packet sizes of the
   flow in question. However, the TSpec may not be an accurate
   representation of the resources needed to support the reservation if
   the router is able to compress the data at the link level.  This
   draft describes an extension to the TSpec which enables a sender of
   potentially compressible data to provide hints to int-serv routers
   about the compressibility they may obtain.  Routers which support
   appropriate compression take advantage of the hint in their admission
   control decisions and resource allocation procedures; other routers
   ignore the hint.  An initial application of this approach is to
   notify routers performing RTP header compression that they may
   allocate fewer resources to RTP flows.