Subject: draft-ietf-ippcp-deflate-00.txt

From: Roy Pereira <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 10:10:38 -0500

The ZLIB DEFLATE document did not make it either, so here it is.

Internet Engineering Task Force                             R. Pereira
IP Payload Compression Protocol Working Group     TimeStep Corporation
Internet Draft
Expires in six months                                November 22, 1997

                 IP Payload Compression Using DEFLATE
                  <draft-ietf-ippcp-deflate-00.txt>

Status of this Memo

   This document is a submission to the IETF Internet Protocol Payload
   Compression Protocol (IPPCP) Working Group.  Comments are solicited
   and should be addressed to the working group mailing list or to the
   editor.

   This document is an Internet-Draft.  Internet Drafts are working
   documents of the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF), its areas,
   and its working Groups. Note that other groups may also distribute
   working documents as Internet Drafts.

   Internet-Drafts draft documents are valid for a maximum of six
   months and may be updated, replaced, or obsolete by other documents
   at any time. It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as
   reference material or to cite them other than as "work in
   progress."

   To learn the current status of any Internet-Draft, please check the
   "1id-abstracts.txt" listing contained in the Internet-Drafts Shadow
   Directories on ftp.is.co.za (Africa), nic.nordu.net (Europe),
   munnari.oz.au (Pacific Rim), ds.internic.net (US East Coast), or
   ftp.isi.edu (US West Coast).

   Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

Abstract

   This document describes a compression method based on the DEFLATE
   compression algorithm.  This document defines the application of
   the DEFLATE algorithm to the IP Payload Compression Protocol.

R. Pereira                                                    [Page 1]

Internet Draft   IP Payload Compression Using DEFLATE           Nov-97

Table of Contents

   1. Introduction...................................................2
     1.1 Specification of Requirements...............................2
   2. DEFLATE Algorithm Implementation...............................2
     2.1 Compression.................................................2
     2.2 Decompression...............................................3
   3. Security Considerations........................................3
   4. References.....................................................3
   5. Acknowledgments................................................3
   6. Editor's Address...............................................3

1. Introduction

   The IP Payload Compression Protocol allows the compression of IP
   datagrams by supporting different compression algorithms.  This
   document describes how to integrate the DEFLATE compression
   algorithm [Deutsch96] into IPCOMP [IPCOMP].

   This document SHOULD be read in conjunction with [IPCOMP] and MUST
   be taken in its context.

1.1 Specification of Requirements

   The keywords "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHOULD", "SHOULD
   NOT", and "MAY" that appear in this document are to be interpreted
   as described in [Bradner97].

2. DEFLATE Algorithm Implementation

   The DEFLATE compression algorithm was designed by Phil Katz and its
   details are publicly available in [Deutsch96].  Thus it is a good
   freely available algorithm to implement within IPCOMP.

   Compression and decompression algorithm details should be followed
   as outlined in [Deutsch96] or the use of a software library may be
   preferable.

2.1 Compression

   As defined in [IPCOMP], the compression process is determined by
   the IP Compression Association (IPCA).  The IPCA MUST define the
   DEFLATE algorithm for the process within this document to take
   place.

   The compression process entails compressing the data from the IP
   datagram and placing the result after the IPComp header.  For
   example, compressing a TCP datagram;

R. Pereira                                                    [Page 2]

Internet Draft   IP Payload Compression Using DEFLATE           Nov-97

   Before:  IP TCP ...
   After:   IP IPCOMP (TCP ...)

   Please note how everything after the IPCOMP header is compressed.

2.2 Decompression

   As in the compression process, the IPCA defines the parameters and
   algorithm to utilize for the decompression process.

   As defined in [IPCOMP] the data after the IPComp header is
   decompressed and replaces the IPComp header within the IP header.

   Decompression using the DEFLATE algorithm follows the decompression
   process defined in [Deutsch96].

3. Security Considerations

   This document does not add any further security considerations that
   [IPCOMP] and [Deutsch96] have already declared.

4. References

   [IPCOMP] Shacham, A., Monsour, R., Pereira, R., Thomas, M., "IP
   Payload Compression Protocol (IPComp)", work-in-progress

   [Deutsch96] P. Deutsch, "DEFLATE Compressed Data Format
   Specification version 1.3", RFC1951, May 1996

5. Acknowledgments

   The author wishes to thank all of the active members of the IPPCP
   working group.

6. Editor's Address

     Roy Pereira
     <[email-masked]>
     TimeStep Corporation
     +1 (613) 599-3610 x 4808

   The IP Payload Compression Protocol (IPPCP) working group can be
   contacted via email ([email-masked]) or through its chair:

     Naganand Dorswamy
     Bay Networks
     <[email-masked]>

R. Pereira                                                    [Page 3]

Internet Engineering Task Force                             R. Pereira
IP Payload Compression Protocol Working Group     TimeStep Corporation
Internet Draft
Expires in six months                                November 22, 1997

                 IP Payload Compression Using DEFLATE
                  <draft-ietf-ippcp-deflate-00.txt>

Status of this Memo

   This document is a submission to the IETF Internet Protocol Payload
   Compression Protocol (IPPCP) Working Group.  Comments are solicited
   and should be addressed to the working group mailing list or to the
   editor.

   This document is an Internet-Draft.  Internet Drafts are working
   documents of the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF), its areas,
   and its working Groups. Note that other groups may also distribute
   working documents as Internet Drafts.

   Internet-Drafts draft documents are valid for a maximum of six
   months and may be updated, replaced, or obsolete by other documents
   at any time. It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as
   reference material or to cite them other than as "work in
   progress."

   To learn the current status of any Internet-Draft, please check the
   "1id-abstracts.txt" listing contained in the Internet-Drafts Shadow
   Directories on ftp.is.co.za (Africa), nic.nordu.net (Europe),
   munnari.oz.au (Pacific Rim), ds.internic.net (US East Coast), or
   ftp.isi.edu (US West Coast).

   Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

Abstract

   This document describes a compression method based on the DEFLATE
   compression algorithm.  This document defines the application of
   the DEFLATE algorithm to the IP Payload Compression Protocol.

R. Pereira                                                    [Page 1]

Internet Draft   IP Payload Compression Using DEFLATE           Nov-97

Table of Contents

   1. Introduction...................................................2
     1.1 Specification of Requirements...............................2
   2. DEFLATE Algorithm Implementation...............................2
     2.1 Compression.................................................2
     2.2 Decompression...............................................3
   3. Security Considerations........................................3
   4. References.....................................................3
   5. Acknowledgments................................................3
   6. Editor's Address...............................................3

1. Introduction

   The IP Payload Compression Protocol allows the compression of IP
   datagrams by supporting different compression algorithms.  This
   document describes how to integrate the DEFLATE compression
   algorithm [Deutsch96] into IPCOMP [IPCOMP].

   This document SHOULD be read in conjunction with [IPCOMP] and MUST
   be taken in its context.

1.1 Specification of Requirements

   The keywords "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHOULD", "SHOULD
   NOT", and "MAY" that appear in this document are to be interpreted
   as described in [Bradner97].

2. DEFLATE Algorithm Implementation

   The DEFLATE compression algorithm was designed by Phil Katz and its
   details are publicly available in [Deutsch96].  Thus it is a good
   freely available algorithm to implement within IPCOMP.

   Compression and decompression algorithm details should be followed
   as outlined in [Deutsch96] or the use of a software library may be
   preferable.

2.1 Compression

   As defined in [IPCOMP], the compression process is determined by
   the IP Compression Association (IPCA).  The IPCA MUST define the
   DEFLATE algorithm for the process within this document to take
   place.

   The compression process entails compressing the data from the IP
   datagram and placing the result after the IPComp header.  For
   example, compressing a TCP datagram;

R. Pereira                                                    [Page 2]

Internet Draft   IP Payload Compression Using DEFLATE           Nov-97

   Before:  IP TCP ...
   After:   IP IPCOMP (TCP ...)

   Please note how everything after the IPCOMP header is compressed.

2.2 Decompression

   As in the compression process, the IPCA defines the parameters and
   algorithm to utilize for the decompression process.

   As defined in [IPCOMP] the data after the IPComp header is
   decompressed and replaces the IPComp header within the IP header.

   Decompression using the DEFLATE algorithm follows the decompression
   process defined in [Deutsch96].

3. Security Considerations

   This document does not add any further security considerations that
   [IPCOMP] and [Deutsch96] have already declared.

4. References

   [IPCOMP] Shacham, A., Monsour, R., Pereira, R., Thomas, M., "IP
   Payload Compression Protocol (IPComp)", work-in-progress

   [Deutsch96] P. Deutsch, "DEFLATE Compressed Data Format
   Specification version 1.3", RFC1951, May 1996

5. Acknowledgments

   The author wishes to thank all of the active members of the IPPCP
   working group.

6. Editor's Address

     Roy Pereira
     <[email-masked]>
     TimeStep Corporation
     +1 (613) 599-3610 x 4808

   The IP Payload Compression Protocol (IPPCP) working group can be
   contacted via email ([email-masked]) or through its chair:

     Naganand Dorswamy
     Bay Networks
     <[email-masked]>

R. Pereira                                                    [Page 3]