Subject: IPCOMP over a good quality network.

From: Stephen Waters <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 21:07:45 -0000

Is there any scope for using IPCOMP in a 'state-full' way (e.g.
multi-packet history)  when the quality of the link is suitable,  for
example between two IPSEC Security gateways connected over a Frame Relay
PVC?

Cheers, Steve.

---

From: Avram Shacham <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 13:38:27 -0800

Steve,

At 09:07 PM 2/27/98 -0000, Stephen Waters wrote:
>multi-packet history)  

No. As the draft clearly states, IPComp is supports only stateless compression:

   Each IP datagram is compressed and decompressed by itself without any
   relation to other datagrams ("stateless compression"), as IP
   datagrams may arrive out of order or not arrive at all.

> when the quality of the link is suitable,  for

Is there a reliable IP layer, even when the "link is suitable"?

avram