Subject: IPCOMP and IPSEC

From: Stephen Waters <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 23:19:08 +0100

Is IPCOMP restricted for use by Hosts (at packet origin), or can it be
appended by a Security Gateway as part of the process of adding an IPSEC
tunnel header?

e.g.

Original host packet [IP1][TCP][data]

After passing through a security gateway/IP tunnel:

[IP2][ESP][IPCOMP][IP1][TCP][data][padding/next protocol][ESP auth]

If this is supported, is it detailed anywhere?  For example, if an
Explicit IV is used, would it come after the ESP header or after the
IPCOMP header?

Stephen Waters
DEVON, UK

National: 01548 551012 / 550474
International: 44 1548 551012 / 550474
[email-masked]

---

From: Daniel Harkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 16:06:58 -0700

Stephen,

> appended by a Security Gateway as part of the process of adding an IPSEC

Sure, it can be done in a Security Gateway.

> Explicit IV is used, would it come after the ESP header or after the

It would have to come after the ESP header. Since the next header field
is encrypted the recipient would have no idea yet that IPCOMP has been
added and not know to skip over that field. 

Anybody out there want to test IPSec and IPCOMP together? Send me an
email.

  Dan.

---

From: Eric Dean <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 18:39:37 -0400 (EDT)

> Anybody out there want to test IPSec and IPCOMP together? Send me an

Sure, we tried IPCOMP without IPSec and got about 1.05:1 compression ratio
though.  I can't wait for after IPSec.
 
_______________________________________________________________
Eric Casey Dean    
Supervisor: IP Product Engineering
Tel#: 703-689-5298  Fax#: 703-478-7852  Mobile#: 703-598-0962