Subject: RFC-1829 to historic!

From: "William Allen Simpson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 98 16:34:42 GMT

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Because of the recent events in cracking single DES, I formally request
that our RFC-1829 be declared Historic.  Perry concurs, but I've not yet
heard from Phil.

As an interim solution, I will repost my DESX and 3DES drafts for
approval as Proposed Standards, as modified (the silly explicit IV) by
the IPSec WG, and with another Informational companion for backward
compatibility with RFC-1851, which is currently Experimental.

The long term future solution is likely to be somthing like CAST-128 or
the final AES, but there is insufficient consensus and analysis for
those alternatives, and it will be years.  We need an interim solution.

> Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 17:41:45 -0400
> From: "Perry E. Metzger" <[email-masked]>
>
> "William Allen Simpson" writes:
> > Would you be willing to join me in asking the IESG to reclassify our
> > RFC-1829 as Historic?  I think that it would be a nice touch for a
> > "standards organization" to formally obsolete DES.
>
> Absolutely.
>
> .pm
>

---

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 13:06:18 -0400

> compatibility with RFC-1851, which is currently Experimental.

There are new 3DES etc. drafts from the working group, aren't there?

I agree that as a symbolic act, the DES RFC be made Historic as
quickly as possible, but we should let the working group do its job in 
replacing it, probably with 3DES.

Perry