Subject: Re: IAB comments on Green Paper

From: Billy Biggs <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 23:37:29 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 24 Feb 1998, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> Lance Spitzner writes:
> >     o First, divorce TLDs from the technical community.  Allow the
> 
> Maybe you aren't aware of this, but we've gone through and debated the
> whole thing very extensively -- the hard decisions were already
> made. The IANA created the IAHC, which came up with a widely respected
> solution, and a lot of organizations lined up behind it, and
> organizations set up a nice portable registration system to make DNS
> names portable the way that 800 numbers are portable, and then...
> ....and then Ira Magaziner decided that he couldn't leave a good thing
> alone.

Perry,

With the USG asserting right to 'the final say' in this matter, I think
the technical community (IAB/IETF/IESG) has to realize which is
important: control over the IANA functions or control of DNS.

We MUST make sure that the IANA role is handed over to the IAB to find
funding for.  Losing the DNS issue is, in my opinion, an acceptable loss.
[ Especially considering the world can choose to point at USG roots or ]
[ point at CORE roots. :)                                              ]

This is what ITAG should address, no?  First, confirming with Magaziner
that the IANA roles of protocol assignment and IP space 'ownership' be
handed over to the IAB to create an IANA-lite that will handle them.  DNS
political issues can then be fought out by public argument against the GP.

Billy Biggs
Division 8 Networks
[email-masked]

---

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 11:26:04 -0500

Billy Biggs writes:
> With the USG asserting right to 'the final say' in this matter,

What if you tomorrow morning asserted that you were the world emperor
and requested that we all wear funny hats. Would we actually have to
wear funny hats?

Perry