Subject: Re: IPP> Notifications

From: Harry Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 23:29:27 -0500

Regarding IPP notifications...

>This ground has been well-plowed, though, in the email notification
>domain.

I'm not so sure. I think a printing system notification scheme should
accomodate page level granularity. Ex. Page 3 of 5 completed. This could
result in a lot of e-mail!

Harry Lewis - IBM Printing Systems

---

From: Larry Masinter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 20:51:44 PST

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear: I don't think IPP should use
email for all kinds of notifications, although 'job completion'
might be useful. What I was saying was 'well-plowed' was the
notion of having a notification format that was both human-readable
and also machine processable.

Larry
-- 
http://www.parc.xerox.com/masinter

---

From: Jay Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 1998 22:36:12 -0500

Harry Lewis wrote:

> I think a printing system notification scheme should
> accomodate page level granularity. Ex. Page 3 of 5 completed.

What you're implying here is that the notification service must
support something akin to "real-time" (relatively speaking, of
course), and far from an "async, store-and-forward" method.

	...jay

----------------------------------------------------------------------
--  JK Martin               |  Email:   [email-masked]          --
--  Underscore, Inc.        |  Voice:   (603) 889-7000              --
--  41C Sagamore Park Road  |  Fax:     (603) 889-2699              --
--  Hudson, NH 03051-4915   |  Web:     http://www.underscore.com   --
----------------------------------------------------------------------