Subject: Re: IPP> IPP > FAQ - How should the server behave?

From: Carl Kugler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 12:54:24 -0500

> We also discussed that a server MAY keep a list of clients that are trying
> to connect in a "queue", and then serve each one one at a time.

This is easy to implement, but the connection attempt will appear to "hang"
indefinitely.

> Then the
> client doesn't receive an error (except if the "queue" is filled).  This
> gives the end-user a much happier experience.

I'd be happier to get server-error-service-unavailable (0x0502) with an
estimate of the the length of the delay indicated in the message.  A client
could then give a user the choice of canceling, retrying, or queuing locally
and retrying after delay.  At that point the user might decide to try another
printer, or just queue the job locally (client side) and go on.

> I think that both approaches should be put into the FAQ.

Fine with me.

 -Carl

[email-masked] on 02/06/98 07:34:46 PM
Please respond to [email-masked] @ internet
To: [email-masked] @ internet, Carl Kugler/Boulder/IBM@ibmus
cc:
Subject: Re: IPP> IPP > FAQ - How should the server behave?

At 08:10 02/02/1998 PST, Carl Kugler wrote:
>Henrik-

snip...

>> 3.   How should a non-spooling IPP-server handle concurrent print-job
>> requests?
>
>Return server-error-service-unavailable (0x0502) to indicate that the
server is
>temporarily unable to handle a request.
>
>
>  -Carl
>
>---------------------- Forwarded by Carl Kugler/Boulder/IBM on 02/02/98 08:41

We also discussed that a server MAY keep a list of clients that are trying
to connect in a "queue", and then serve each one one at a time.  Then the
client doesn't receive an error (except if the "queue" is filled).  This
gives the end-user a much happier experience.

I think that both approaches should be put into the FAQ.

Tom

---

From: Jay Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 1998 13:34:37 -0500

> printer, or just queue the job locally (client side) and go on.

Is the "server-error-service-unavailable" (0x0502) error code used
for any other type of error condition?

	...jay

----------------------------------------------------------------------
--  JK Martin               |  Email:   [email-masked]          --
--  Underscore, Inc.        |  Voice:   (603) 889-7000              --
--  41C Sagamore Park Road  |  Fax:     (603) 889-2699              --
--  Hudson, NH 03051-4915   |  Web:     http://www.underscore.com   --
----------------------------------------------------------------------