Subject: RE: IPP> ADM - Concerns regarding the scopes of the IPP and UPD p rojects

From: "Turner, Randy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 10:27:03 -0800

I thought the UPD study group was formed to talk about print drivers
(extending the concept of the GPD concept to the next evel, etc..), and
not a host-to-device protocol. I don't recall wire protocols ever
brought up in the last couple of meetings. If there is both an
application model (GPD, etc) and a wire protocol developed, I would hope
there would be two study groups involved, since the expertise on either
topic is largely orthogonal.

Randy

	-----Original Message-----
	From:	Jay Martin [SMTP:[email-masked]]
	Sent:	Wednesday, March 18, 1998 10:09 AM
	To:	Carl-Uno Manros
	Cc:	[email-masked]; [email-masked]
	Subject:	IPP> ADM - Concerns regarding the scopes of the
IPP and UPD projects

	Carl-Uno,

	In your message titled "ADM - 'IPP Job Openings'" (attached
below)
	you listed this item:

	  4) A champion for the host-to-device task (this is currently
	     outside the scope of the IETF WG).

	Seems we keep crossing on this particular path, namely, whether
	the IPP project (of which the IETF IPP WG is part of that
project)
	is supposed to take on the requirements for a true
host-to-device
	protocol.

	I have stated many, many times in the past that the IPP project
	should NOT attempt to address the "host-to-device" protocol
issue.
	Instead, the UPD project was formed (by me, back in May '97) for
	*expressly* this kind of work.

	IPP is for printing over the Internet.  UPD addresses the more
	critical needs of the intranet, with requirements that far
surpass
	those of the IPP.

	Let's let UPD take its own course, without placing unnecessary
	constraints on it from the outstart.

	Comments from others?

		...jay

----------------------------------------------------------------------
	--  JK Martin               |  Email:   [email-masked]
--
	--  Underscore, Inc.        |  Voice:   (603) 889-7000
--
	--  41C Sagamore Park Road  |  Fax:     (603) 889-2699
--
	--  Hudson, NH 03051-4915   |  Web:
http://www.underscore.com   --

----------------------------------------------------------------------

	Carl-Uno Manros wrote:
	> 
	> All,
	> 
	> In last week's phone conference we discussed the need for
additional
	> volonteers to take on new tasks within the WG.
	> 
	> In particular, we are looking to fill the following vacancies:
	> 
	> 1) Somebody to take over the secretary job for the PWG IPP
phone
	> conferences, as Don Wright has said that he has too many other
commitments
	> to keep up this task. Means that you need to regularly attend
the phone
	> conferences.
	> 
	> 2) A champion and preferably editor (sounds better than the
earlier WHIP
	> title) for the IPP Notification task.
	> 
	> 3) A champion and preferably editor for a new IPP MIB task.
	> 
	> 4) A champion for the host-to-device task (this is currently
outside the
	> scope of the IETF WG).
	> 
	> Please respond to the DL or to me personally, new faces are
obviously welcome.
	> 
	> If we cannot find people prepared to take on these tasks, we
are in trouble!
	> 
	> (Curious to see if this goes through the spam filters)
	> 
	> Carl-Uno
	> 
	> Carl-Uno Manros
	> Principal Engineer - Advanced Printing Standards - Xerox
Corporation
	> 701 S. Aviation Blvd., El Segundo, CA, M/S: ESAE-231
	> Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
	> Email: [email-masked]