Subject: IPP> IPP > FAQ - How should the server behave?

From: Carl Kugler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 11:10:53 -0500

Henrik-

My understandings:

> 1.   If an IPP-client transmit a request to the IPP-server and close the
> tcp-connection, should the IPP-server open a new tcp-session and transmit the
> response?

Impossible.  The client isn't listening on a server port.

> 2.   Must the IPP-server wait with the response, on a print-job request, to
> the whole job is received?

The server should respond to the request before accepting appended document
content.  See 3.1.7 and 15.4 in the model document.

> 3.   How should a non-spooling IPP-server handle concurrent print-job
> requests?

Return server-error-service-unavailable (0x0502) to indicate that the server is
temporarily unable to handle a request.

  -Carl

---------------------- Forwarded by Carl Kugler/Boulder/IBM on 02/02/98 08:41
AM ---------------------------

[email-masked] on 02/02/98 01:31:15 AM
Please respond to [email-masked] @ internet
To: [email-masked] @ internet
cc:
Subject: IPP> IPP > FAQ - How should the server behave?

As mentioned in Maui I would like a FAQ list. Here is my questions when I
read the
IPP model & protocol document. I am looking forward to the 'developers
guide', which
should describe the behavior of the IPP printer when an IRQ occour etc.

1.   If an IPP-client transmit a request to the IPP-server and close the
tcp-connection, should the
     IPP-server open a new tcp-session and transmit the response?
2.   Must the IPP-server wait with the response, on a print-job request, to
the whole job is received?
3.   How should a non-spooling IPP-server handle concurrent print-job
requests?

Henrik Holst

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* * * * * * * * * * *
* Henrik Holst                                *
* Software engineer - developing embedded Printservers *
* i-data International                        *
* Vadstrupvej 35-43, 2880 Bagsvaerd, Denmark            *
* Voice:  (45) 44366271                       *
* Fax:    (45) 44366111                       *
* Email:  [email-masked]             *
* WEB:    www.i-data.com                           *
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* * * * * * * * * * *

---

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 18:27:36 PST

>Henrik-

snip...

>---------------------- Forwarded by Carl Kugler/Boulder/IBM on 02/02/98 08:41

We also discussed that a server MAY keep a list of clients that are trying
to connect in a "queue", and then serve each one one at a time.  Then the
client doesn't receive an error (except if the "queue" is filled).  This
gives the end-user a much happier experience.

I think that both approaches should be put into the FAQ.

Tom