Subject: IPP> PRO Job Object Attributes

From: Carl Kugler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 10:46:26 -0400

Is the following interpretation correct?

Attributes-charset and attributes-natural-language only appear as Job Object
Attributes (or, more specifically, Job Description Attributes) in responses to
Get-Job-Attributes or Get-Jobs requests.  They MUST be sent if the client
requests them in requested-attributes, because they are MANDATORY Job
Description Attributes and thus MUST be supported.  Furthermore,
attributes-natural-language (but not necessarily attributes-charset)  MUST be
sent in the Job Object attribute group returned for any job that was submitted
with a natural language which differs from that specified in the
attributes-natural-language Operation Attribute of the response.

  -Carl-3

[email-masked] on 04/07/98 02:01:15 PM
Please respond to [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], Carl Kugler/Boulder/IBM@ibmus
cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: Re: IPP> PRO Section 9.7 vs. MOD section 4.3: need clarifica

>
>But my question is specific to Job Description Attributes.* Aren't those
>distinct from Operation attributes?

Job Description attributes are one of two categories of Job (Object)
Attributes. The other category is job template attributes.

Operation attributes (i.e. those attributes in the operation attributes
group) are attributes that are passed as part of a request or response. Some
of these attributes in a request set the values of job description
attributes which have the same name but they never set job template
attributes. Attributes in the job attributes group of a request cause job
template attributes in the job object to be set, but not job description
attributes.

Now you're probably wondering why some job attributes are job template
attributes and others are job description attributes. Some attributes have
gone back and forth between these two categrories several times. The
original idea was that job template attributes are those collection of job
attributes which a client, even the end user, is allowed to modify.  These
attributes typically have a list of supported values for the client to
choose from and a default value if the client doesn't choose a value.  The
job description attributes are either set by the printer with no input from
the client, e.g. job-id, or they are characteristics of a job that a user
has no choice about, e.g. job-k-octets and document-format. These latter
attributes have supported values and sometimes a default, but a client
doesn't have a choice. The number of octets and the document-format are
inherent qualities of the document.

>
>Section 4.3 says that attributes-charset and attributes-natural-language
>Job Description Attributes MUST be supported by printer objects.
>
>(M*) indicates MANDATORY attributes that an IPP object MUST support, but
>that a client may omit in a request or an IPP object may omit in a response.
>
>Isn't that the case for these particular Job Description Attributes?* Or is
>there some subtle difference between the "job-description" attribute group
>described in section 4.3 and the "Group 3: Job Object Attributes"
described in
>15.3.4.3?

I hope the above explanation clears up the difference between job object
attributes and job description attributes for requests.  For reponses, the
job attributes group can contain any job attribute, including job
description and job template attributes.