Subject: IPP> Re: PWG> PWG OID Structure Proposals [the case for a flat structure]

From: [email-masked] (by way of Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>)
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 08:28:47 PST

Tom Hastings said:

>Actually, we have been trying to write something down for two months
>already and changing it every time.  I am afraid that this will continue.
The only writing I've seen is e-mails.  I haven't seen an actual
compilation using different structures.

>What advantages did it give you?
Distributed name space management with some logic to it.  Adapters
are next to adapters, printer are next to printers, etc.  I don't
have adapter MIBs in between printers, in between stuff I can't
talk about.

>How many OIDs have you assigned?

hundreds

I'm tired of arguing about this.  Go ahead with a flat space and
paint yourselves in a corner later.  Perhaps we can claim PWG
OIDs are secure -- "security by confusion."

I reserve the right to say "I told you so."

Don