Subject: Re: IPP> MOD - new model document with fixes for typos and m

From: "Scott Isaacson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 17:20:44 -0600

Carl -   Yes, there is a difference between "request processing" and 
"job processing".  This is what I tried to make clear.  Do you agree
with Tom's suggestion, or do we need to do something else.

I propose changing the last word in Tom's new definition to 

In the case of a Print-Job operation, the
'successful-ok' status code indicates that the request was successfully
received, and validated, and that the Job object has been created; it
does not indicate that the job has been (old: printed) (new: processed). 

>>> Tom Hastings <[email-masked]> 05/29 4:53 PM >>>
A simpler clarification fix would be to delete the word "processed"
in "received, validated, processed, ..."

so that it would read:

In the case of a Print-Job operation, the
'successful-ok' status code indicates that the request was successfully
received, and validated, and that the Job object has been created; it
does not indicate that the job has been printed. 

Tom 

At 13:28 05/29/1998 PDT, Carl Kugler wrote:
>I question this new definition:
>"13.1.2.1 successful-ok (0x0000)
>"The request has succeeded.  In the case of a Print-Job operation, the
>'successful-ok' status code indicates that the request was successfully
>received, validated, processed, and that the Job object has been created; it
>does not indicate that the job has been printed.  The transition of the Job
>object into the 'completed' state is the only indicator that the job has been
>printed.
>
>given the definition of 'processing' in section 3.1.7:
>"Job submission time is the point in time when a client issues a create
>request.  The initial state of every Job object is the 'pending' or
>'pending-held' state.  Later, the Printer object begins processing the print
>job.  At this point in time, the Job object's state moves to 'processing'.
>This is known as job processing time.  There are validation checks that
must be
>done at job submission time and others that must be performed at job
processing
>time.
>
>I don't believe that successful-ok (0x0000) really indicates that the request
>was successfully "processed".  Or at least there is the danger of confusion
>here between "request processing" and "job processing".  Perhaps "request
>processing" needs a definition.
> -Carl
>
>

---

From: Carl Kugler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 10:58:14 -0400

I quite agree.

 -Carl

[email-masked] on 05/29/98 05:03:59 PM
Please respond to [email-masked]
To: Carl Kugler/Boulder/IBM@ibmus
cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: IPP> MOD - new model document with fixes for typos and m

so that it would read:

Tom

must be
processing

---

From: Carl Kugler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 11:04:11 -0400

If "request processing" is a significant concept not covered by "received, and
validated, and ... Job object has been created", then I think it needs a
definition.  I myself don't know what it means (but I understand that it is
distinct from "job processing").

 -Carl

[email-masked] on 05/29/98 05:21:57 PM
Please respond to [email-masked]
To: Carl Kugler/Boulder/IBM@ibmus, [email-masked]
cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: IPP> MOD - new model document with fixes for typos and m

In the case of a Print-Job operation, the
'successful-ok' status code indicates that the request was successfully
received, and validated, and that the Job object has been created; it
does not indicate that the job has been (old: printed) (new: processed)