Subject: JMP> JPM conference call minutes - correction

From: Harry Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 20:41:23 -0500

I need to make a correction to the minutes...

2. ImpressionsRequested - ImpressionsCompleted

 - It was agreed that jmJobImpressionsRequested pertains to the number of
impressions which would be found in ONE copy. The name will be changed to
jmJobImpressionsRequestedPerJob.

The last line should be jmJobImpressionsRequestedPerCopy!

Also, Tom has since fleshed out the entire example including
DOCUMENT copies and concludes that one additional copyType is
necessary. So the copyType proposal is

copyType (enum)

   1 Other
  2 Unknown
  3 External Collation
  4 Internal Collation with Collated Documents
  5 Internal Collation with un-Collated Documents.

The rule is, if there is one copy or one document then copyType = 4.

 Harry Lewis - IBM Printing Systems

---- Forwarded by Harry Lewis ----

[email-masked] on 11/20/97 04:34:30 PM
Please respond to [email-masked] @ internet
To: [email-masked] @ internet
cc: [email-masked] @ internet, [email-masked] @ internet,
[email-masked] @ internet, [email-masked] @ internet, [email-masked] @
internet, [email-masked] @ internet
Subject: JMP> JPM conference call minutes

Today's call was from noon-1:30 MST. Dialed in were

Tom Hastings
David Kellerman
Harry Lewis
Jay Martin
Brian Peavey
Bob Pentecost

1. Nested jmJobSubmissionID's

This discussion is so bogged down in the fundamental use and topology of print
job monitoring in both tightly integrated and distributed environments, that it
is very difficult to visualize without props. Because the discussion centers
around the heart of the uses of the Job MIB it is considered valuable enough to
warrant some time at the next JMP meeting, in LA. Ron Bergman (chair) will be
asked to schedule some time on the agenda. Those who want to contribute to the
discussion should be prepared to sketch their system design or otherwise
present their ideas in a way that others will easily grasp their meaning.

Meanwhile, to move on from this issue, it has been agreed that, should multiple
jmJobSubmissionID's ever become a problem, the way to address the issue is to
allow multiple jmJobSubmissionID's to point to one jmJobIndex in the jobID
table. Tom will draft this change to the Job MIB and make the change available
for review prior to LA.

2. ImpressionsRequested - ImpressionsCompleted

 - It was agreed that jmJobImpressionsRequested pertains to the number of
impressions which would be found in ONE copy. The name will be changed to
jmJobImpressionsRequestedPerJob.

- It was observed that it was probably an editorial slip to suggest that
ImpressionsCompleted be counted one way for "rip once" copies and another way
for "rip many" copies. The definition will be simplified and clarified to
indicate that jmJobImpressionsCompleted is a count of impressions as the sheet
they are on stacks.

- It was observed that ImpressionsInterprted definitely COULD be counted
differently depending on the number of times the job is ripped if copies are
involved. Three alternatives were discussed.

   a. Deprecate the jmJobImpressionsInterpreted attribute.
   b. Define a copyType (as part of a new attributed to be
      added for number 3, below) that distinguishes between
      collated - rip once and collated - rip many.
   c. Expect applications to determine on the fly which copy
      production method is in effect by realizing, if the
      impressionsInterpreted attribute exceeds the value of
      impressionsRequestedPerCopy it must be "rip-many".

These options to be discussed via e-mail.

3. Collated / Uncollated

It was agreed that there is a problem here. The current attribute definitions
cannot handle uncollated copies because impressionsCompletedCurrentCopy has no
meaning. Harry's latest proposal was reviewed and accepted among this group of
participants.
That is...

Add

currentCopyNumber
currentDocumentNumber
copyType

See examples in Harry's previous mail for full details. Tom to include in Job
MIB and make available for review prior to LA.

It was agreed that, if collated and uncollated copy requests are mixed within a
single job, the Job MIB becomes in-deterministic and we will not attempt to
specify behavior.

Also, it was observed that uncollated and collation to a series of output bins
are equivalent in terms of how sheets and impressions exit the printer. Thus
the proposed copyType names are InternalCollation (.i.e "Mopy") and
ExternalCollation (uncollated or collation to multiple outputs).

The next planned meeting on these topics is in LA.

Harry Lewis - IBM Printing Systems