Subject: Re: IPP> MOD - new model document with fixes for typos and m

From: Carl Kugler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 16:28:06 -0400

I question this new definition:
"13.1.2.1 successful-ok (0x0000)
"The request has succeeded.  In the case of a Print-Job operation, the
'successful-ok' status code indicates that the request was successfully
received, validated, processed, and that the Job object has been created; it
does not indicate that the job has been printed.  The transition of the Job
object into the 'completed' state is the only indicator that the job has been
printed.
given the definition of 'processing' in section 3.1.7:
"Job submission time is the point in time when a client issues a create
request.  The initial state of every Job object is the 'pending' or
'pending-held' state.  Later, the Printer object begins processing the print
job.  At this point in time, the Job object's state moves to 'processing'.
This is known as job processing time.  There are validation checks that must be
done at job submission time and others that must be performed at job processing
time.
I don't believe that successful-ok (0x0000) really indicates that the request
was successfully "processed".  Or at least there is the danger of confusion
here between "request processing" and "job processing".  Perhaps "request
processing" needs a definition.
 -Carl

---

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 15:53:18 PDT

A simpler clarification fix would be to delete the word "processed"
in "received, validated, processed, ..."

so that it would read:

In the case of a Print-Job operation, the
'successful-ok' status code indicates that the request was successfully
received, and validated, and that the Job object has been created; it
does not indicate that the job has been printed. 

Tom