Subject: Re: IPP> MS-new-operations.htm uploaded [Disable-Accepting-Jobs]

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 10:39:47 PDT

>At 10:49 6/29/98 PDT, Paul Moore wrote:
>to ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_MOD/
>Describes 7 new operations that MS may be using for IPP1.0
>
>We should discuss whther we want to make any of these standard extensions
> snip...
>
>PausePrinter
>
>Requests that the printer stops scheduling new jobs. Any job that is
currently >being printed is completed. The printer will still accept new jobs.
>
>Current Code: 0X4001
>
>Access Rights: The requesting user must be an administrator of the printer
>
>
>ResumePrinter
>
>Un-pauses a printer (see PausePrinter).
>
>Access Rights: The requesting user must be an administrator of the printer
>

Another pair of administrative operations that are strongly related to these
and which would set the existing "printer-accepting-jobs" Printer Description
attribute and relate to the proposed notification event (to be added to
the Printer MIB): 'printer-is-accepting-jobs', 'printer-is-not-accepting-jobs'
would be to add a pair of operations:

Disable-Accepding-Jobs 

Causes the Printer object to no longer accept jobs, i.e., the Printer
object MUST reject further Print-Job, Print-URI, Validate-Job, and
Create-Job operations.  If one of these operations is attempted to be
submitted to the
Printer object, the Printer object MUST reject the request and return
the 'server-error-not-accepting-jobs' status code.  The Printer object
MUST continue to accept all other operations, including Add-Document and 
Send-Document operations, if supported, so that a partial job can be 
closed and printed.  All currently submitted jobs continue to scheduled 
and printed.

The Printer object sets its "printer-accepting-jobs" to 'false'.
The Printer object MUST accept this operation no matter what state the 
Printer object is in, but MUST reject the operation if the value of the
"printer-accepting-jobs" is already 'false'.  This operation does not 
change the value of the Printer's "printer-state" attribute.  

Access Rights: The requesting user must be an administrator of the printer

Enable-Accepting-Jobs

Enables the Printer object to accept jobs.  The Printer object sets its 
"printer-accepting-jobs" to 'true'.  The Printer object MUST accept this 
operation no matter what state the Printer object is in, but MUST reject 
the operation if the value of its "printer-accepting-jobs" is already
'true'.  This operation does not change the value of the Printer's
"printer-state" attribute.  

Access Rights: The requesting user must be an administrator of the printer

ISSUE:  What should the power up value of the Printer's
"printer-is-accepting-jobs" attribute be:  'true',  'false',  depends on
site policy,  depends
on implementation?

---

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 15:14:02 PDT

There seems to be a useful distinction between disabling an IPP Printer
object from accepting jobs for its device (or its devices when it controls
more than one device) - attached previously sent proposal for
Disable-Accepting-Jobs and Enable-Accepting-Jobs

and 

disabling the IPP Printer from submitting jobs to the device (MS Pause-Job
semantics) while the IPP Printer continues to accept jobs for the device.

One way to get both would be to pattern the
Disable-Accepting-Jobs/Enable-Accepting-Jobs after the extension for
accessing MIBs, in which we 
introduced the Device object.  The device object is selectable in
Get-Printer-Attributes, if the client supplies the "which-device"
operation attribute.  If the client doesn't supply the "which-device"
attribute, the client is talking about the IPP Printer object itself.

So we could have a Disable-Accepting-Jobs which
has an OPTIONAL "which-device" operation attribute.  When supplied, the
"which-device" operation attribute prevents the IPP Printer object from
submitting additional jobs to the device, but the device keeps printing
the current job and any other jobs that it may have.

Comments?

Tom