Subject: RE: IPP> On the harm of adding new methods

From: Josh Cohen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 13:39:03 -0700

> Larry Said:
>
> In the case of IPP, it is perfectly adequate to filter on 
> content-type,
> since all IPP content is carried in application/IPP. The 
> arguments for 
> adding a new method (that it is somehow 'easier' to filter on 
> the first
> few bytes of the protocol) are specious because most filters that are
> looking at the protocol at all are looking at content-type. So the
> "firewall filtering" rationale just doesn't hold as a reason 
> for adding
> new methods.
>
That isnt how I see things.  Today, more delpoyed proxies look
at the method than the content-type.
Content-Type may offer a way of filtering, Ill agree with that,
but to say that proxies commonly filter based on content type
and not method isn't right.