Subject: IPP> MOD - I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipp-protocol-01.txt

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 21:09:18 PST

NOTE: The file name is 01, not 02.  This maybe because we didn't forward
the 01 protocol document to the secretariate?  The 02 file name appears
on the Protocol document that Bob posted.  So it looks like the secretariate
updates the number by 1 each time, no matter what we say.

To reduce confusion we should rename the 02 version to have a 1 plus
additional
words on our FTP server, like draft-ietf-ipp-protocol-01-published-i-d.txt.
 Then the next version can have 02 on it (again).

Tom

>Return-Path: <[email-masked]>
>To: [email-masked]
>Cc: [email-masked]
>From: [email-masked]
>Reply-To: [email-masked]
>Subject: IPP> I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipp-protocol-01.txt
>Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 06:57:57 PST
>Sender: [email-masked]
>
>A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
>This draft is a work item of the Internet Printing Protocol Working Group
of the IETF.
>
>	Title		: Internet Printing Protocol/1.0: Protocol 
>                          Specification
>	Author(s)	: R. Turner, R. Herriot, S. Butler, P. Moore
>	Filename	: draft-ietf-ipp-protocol-01.txt
>	Pages		: 26
>	Date		: 28-Oct-97
>	
>This document is one of a set of documents, which together describe all
>aspects of a new Internet Printing Protocol (IPP).  IPP is an
>application level protocol that can be used for distributed printing
>using Internet tools and technology.  The protocol is heavily influenced
>by the printing model introduced in the Document Printing Application
>(ISO/IEC 10175 DPA) standard.  Although DPA specifies both end user and
>administrative features, IPP version 1.0 is focused only on end user
>functionality.
> 
>The full set of IPP documents includes:
> 
>  Internet Printing Protocol: Requirements
>  Internet Printing Protocol/1.0: Model and Semantics
>  Internet Printing Protocol/1.0: Security
>  Internet Printing Protocol/1.0: Protocol Specification
>  Internet Printing Protocol/1.0: Directory Schema
> 
>The requirements document takes a broad look at distributed printing
>functionality, and it enumerates real-life scenarios that help to
>clarify the features that need to be included in a printing protocol for
>the Internet.  It identifies requirements for three types of users: end
users, operators, and administrators.  The requirements document calls
>out a subset of end user requirements that MUST be satisfied in the
>first version of IPP.  Operator and administrator requirements are out
>of scope for v1.0. The model and semantics document describes a
>simplified model with abstract objects, their attributes, and their
>operations. The model introduces a Printer object and a Job object.  The
>Job object supports multiple documents per job.  The security document
>covers potential threats and proposed counters to those threats.  The
>protocol specification is formal document which incorporates the ideas
>in all the other documents into a concrete mapping using clearly defined
>data representations and transport protocol mappings that real
>implementers can use to develop interoperable client and server side
>components. Finally, the directory schema document shows a generic
>schema for directory service entries that represent instances of IPP
>Printers.
> 
>This document is the ''Internet Printing Protocol/1.0: Protocol
>Specification'' document.
>
>
>Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login wih the username
>"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
>type "cd internet-drafts" and then
>	"get draft-ietf-ipp-protocol-01.txt".
>A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
>ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipp-protocol-01.txt
>
>Internet-Drafts directories are located at:
>
>	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
>	
>	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
>		ftp.nis.garr.it
>			
>	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
>	
>	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
>	
>	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu
>
>Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.
>
>Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
>	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipp-protocol-01.txt".
>	
>NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
>	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
>	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
>	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
>	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
>	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
>	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
>	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
>	how to manipulate these messages.
>		
>		
>Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
>implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
>Internet-Draft.
>
><ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipp-protocol-01.txt>
>