Subject: IPP> ADM - Phone Conference with Area Director today

From: Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 07:43:35 -0700

All,

Please remember our weekly phone conference which is coming up in a couple 
of hours.

Keith Moore and possibly also Patrik Faltstrom (sorry no dots) will be
discussing Keith's comments with us. The two major discussion points are:

1) How do we help firewall administrators to distinguish IPP from normal
web traffic. Check Roger's table for the alternatives. It seems that we
have supporters for two of the alternatives, namely:
-  the "Larry" proposal, which uses a new default IPP port in combination 
   with an ipp: naming scheme, but with HHTP on the wire.
-  the "Josh" proposal, which replaces the POST method with a PRINT method.
I think that we can ignore the other cases, and discuss whether to
introduce ONE or BOTH of these two remaining proposals.

2) What do we do about Keith's proposal to mandate TLS for all IPP CLIENTS?
In our earlier phone conference this was considered unreasonable. There
has been no discussion of this on the DL, since then. 
Has anybody changed their views on this? This is probably as important as 
the HTTP discussion.

We will also ask Keith if he was happy with the remaining preliminary
answers we sent him last week.

If we end up with time on our hands, we can always devote it to debate 
if we keep URLs in application/ipp :-)

Here is the dial-in information again:

Time:     June 10, 10:00 - 12:00 PDT (1:00 - 3:00 EDT)
Phone:    1-800-857 5607
Passcode: cmanros

Carl-Uno