Subject: RE: IPP> MOD/ADM - Trouble with references

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 16:03:30 PDT

Yes, Paul is right.  Changing the name of an attribute affects the

bytes on the wire, since the keyword name of the attribute is sent

on the wire.

So if we change from "printer-uri" to "printer-url", we are changing

the on the wire protocol too (as well as the model).

All the attributes affected would be:

Operation attributes:

printer-uri

document-uri

Job attributes:

job-uri

job-printer-uri

Printer attributes:

printer-uri-supported

uri-security-supported

reference-uri-schemes-supported 

Error status codes (editorial only):

client-error-request-uri-too-long 

client-error-uri-scheme-not-supported 

There are a number of attributes whose data syntax is 'uri', but don't

have uri in their names, so we could either change these name

RFC 1630 has the following note on the first page:

<bigger>IESG Note:

   Note that the work contained in this memo does not describe an

   Internet standard.  An Internet standard for general Resource

   Identifiers is under development within the IETF.

</bigger>At 13:18 04/06/1998 PDT, Paul Moore wrote:

>	URI		The URI draft has not matured to the standards

>track. There are some

>	              serious problems to resolve, which may take

>considerable

>	time. The

>	              advice from Larry Masinter, who is the editor, seems

>to be to go

>	              back to using URL where ever we use URI (which would

>also

>	mean                                           changing a number of

>	attribute names!).

>Which changes the wire representation! This is not just a 
documentation

>issue.

>> -----Original Message-----

>> From:	Carl-Uno Manros [SMTP:[email-masked]]

>> Sent:	Monday, April 06, 1998 10:57 AM

>> To:	[email-masked]

>> Subject:	IPP> ADM - Trouble with references

>> All,

>> One of the things I discovered during last week's IETF meeting in LA
is

>> that we are in trouble with a couple of our references in the IPP
drafts.

>> This means that even if we get past the IESG review, we will have
trouble

>> when documents arrive at the RFC editor's desk.

>> Here are the problem children:

>> RFC2234 	ABNF, although this is an RFC officially on the standards

>> track,

>>             Dave Crocker who is the editor, indicated that there are
still

>> a                                            couple of minor
editorial

>> changes to fix. He will do those ASAP.

>> TLS		TLS has been accepted by the IESG, but they have a reference

>> problem

>>               with PKIX, which still has to be resolved. The quick
fix

>> will

>> be                                                         to change
PKIX

>> to X.509 as reference. The editors are working on

>>   this change.

>> URI		The URI draft has not matured to the standards track. There

>> are some

>>               serious problems to resolve, which may take
considerable

>> time. The

>>               advice from Larry Masinter, who is the editor, seems to
be

>> to go

>>               back to using URL where ever we use URI (which would
also

>> mean                                           changing a number of

>> attribute names!).

>> Sigh :-(

>> Carl-Uno

>> Carl-Uno Manros

>> Principal Engineer - Advanced Printing Standards - Xerox Corporation

>> 701 S. Aviation Blvd., El Segundo, CA, M/S: ESAE-231

>> Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514

>> Email: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 02:21:28 -0400

Oh for the beauty of TIPSI which doesn't encode long, ASCII, language
specific, character set specific, (case sensitive? - oh, that's another
thread) names on the wire.  Just a few bits here and there editorially
defined.

The TIPSI bigot...

**********************************************
* Don Wright                 [email-masked] *
* Product Manager, Strategic Alliances       *
* Lexmark International                      *
* 740 New Circle Rd                          *
* Lexington, Ky 40550                        *
* 606-232-4808 (phone) 606-232-6740 (fax)    *
**********************************************

To:   [email-masked],
      [email-masked],
      [email-masked]
cc:    (bcc: Don Wright)
bcc:  Don Wright
Subject:  RE: IPP> MOD/ADM - Trouble with references