Subject: Re: IPP> Use of SSL3 Framing????

From: Carl Kugler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 11:17:17 -0500

Is this "SSL3 Framing" provided by what's referred to as the "Record layer" in
appendix A.1.1 of "The SSL Protocol Version 3.0" at
http://home.netscape.com/eng/ssl3/draft302.txt?

Is http://home.netscape.com/eng/ssl3/draft302.txt the right reference for this?

 -Carl Kugler

---

From: Randy Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 1997 08:51:01 -0800

> http://home.netscape.com/eng/ssl3/draft302.txt?

SSL3 (and TLS) have an outer layer encapsulation that has a variant field
called "type" that identifies the type of SSL3 message contained within
a message. I believe this is called the "record" layer. The "type" of
message is either "handshake", "alert", "application-data", or 
"change-cipher-spec". For a minimal IPP implementation, the
"handshake" and "application-data" records would be used.

Randy

> Is http://home.netscape.com/eng/ssl3/draft302.txt the right reference for this?

If this spec. is dated November 1996, then this is the
spec. I am referencing which I think is current.

---

From: Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 10:11:55 PST

>> Is http://home.netscape.com/eng/ssl3/draft302.txt the right reference
for this?

Well, yes and no. The reference above points to an expired IETF I-D which
is absolutely useless as an official reference in our IPP documents. 

However, there is another document version somewhere on Netscape's site
with the same text as a public Netscape document, which we are currently
using as our official reference in the Protocol document.

Carl-Uno

Carl-Uno Manros
Principal Engineer - Advanced Printing Standards - Xerox Corporation
701 S. Aviation Blvd., El Segundo, CA, M/S: ESAE-231
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: [email-masked]