Subject: IPP> IETF Internet Printing Protocol working group: Request for IESG Consideration

From: Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 09:41:58 PST

The IETF Internet Printing Protocol working group hereby requests IESG
approval for publication of the following documents, with the specified
status.  

The working group has been developing the content of the documents for more
than one year and has reached a more than rough consensus for this initial
set of specifications, seeking to provide a core set of useful functionality,
for Internet printing. It should be noted however, that a small group of
experts launched an idea to reconsider the current protocol encoding in
favor of using XML, and to introduce an IPP specific HTTP 1.1 method called
PRINT. These proposals were discussed, but were rejected by a strong
majority within the working group, which wants to progress our current
drafts, as they already meet the charter of the IPP WG. One small exception
to the charter requirements should be noted. The subject of asynchronous
notifications has been discussed and the working group suggests that this
task is addresses either as a follow-on activity in the IPP WG or in a new
WG, as this seems to require a separate  protocol.

The work of the group has made steady progress with very active and
consistent participation since its first BOF in December 1996. The working
group believes that the quality of its documents are entirely consistent
with IETF
requirements.

DOCUMENT:

          Requirements for an Internet Printing Protocol

          <draft-ietf-ipp-req-01.txt>

Status:   Informational

Technical Summary:

This document describes the requirements for an Internet printing
protocol. It describes the end-user, operator and administrator wants 
and needs in the context of printing documents from a variety of sources.  
These sources include standard desktop applications (e.g. word processors,
spreadsheets, and browsers), documents selected by reference (e.g. URI) and
documents created by batch or background applications. Additionally,
requirements
for light-weight printer status and management and job status and
management services will be discussed.

DOCUMENT:

          Rationale for the Structure of the Model and Protocol
          for the Internet Printing Protocol

          <draft-ietf-ipp-rat-02.txt>

Status:   Informational

Technical Summary:

IPP is an application level protocol that can be used for distributed 
printing on the Internet. There are multiple parts to IPP, but the primary
architectural components are the Model, the Protocol and an interface to 
Directory Services. This document provides a high level overview of the
architecture and provides the rationale for the decisions made in
structuring the architecture.

DOCUMENT:

         Internet Printing Protocol/1.0: Model and Semantics

         <draft-ietf-ipp-model-09.txt>

Status:  Proposed Standard

Technical Summary:

This document describes a simplified model with abstract objects, their
attributes, and their operations.  The model introduces a Printer and a Job.  
The Job supports multiple documents per Job.  This document also describes
how security, internationalization, and directory issues are addressed.  

DOCUMENT:

         Internet Printing Protocol/1.0: Protocol Specification

         <draft-ietf-ipp-protocol-05.txt>

Status:  Proposed Standard

Technical Summary:

The protocol specification is formal document which incorporates the
                             ideas in all the other documents into a
concrete mapping using clearly                   defined data
representations and transport protocol mappings that real
         implementers can use to develop interoperable client and printer
(server)                   side components.

DOCUMENT:

          Mapping between LPD and IPP Protocols
          <draft-ietf-ipp-lpd-ipp-map-03>

Status:   Informational

Technical Summary:

This Internet-Draft specifies the mapping between (1) the commands and
operands of the ''Line Printer Daemon (LPD) Protocol'' specified in RFC
1179 and (2) the operations and parameters of the Internet Printing
Protocol (IPP).  One of the purposes of this document is to compare the
functionality of the two protocols.  Another purpose is to facilitate
implementation of gateways between LPD and IPP.

Regards,

Carl-Uno Manros
Co-chair IETF IPP WG

Carl-Uno Manros
Principal Engineer - Advanced Printing Standards - Xerox Corporation
701 S. Aviation Blvd., El Segundo, CA, M/S: ESAE-231
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: [email-masked]