Subject: IPP> ADM - "IPP Job Openings"

From: Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 16:51:00 PST

All,

In last week's phone conference we discussed the need for additional
volonteers to take on new tasks within the WG.

In particular, we are looking to fill the following vacancies:

1) Somebody to take over the secretary job for the PWG IPP phone
conferences, as Don Wright has said that he has too many other commitments
to keep up this task. Means that you need to regularly attend the phone
conferences.

2) A champion and preferably editor (sounds better than the earlier WHIP
title) for the IPP Notification task.

3) A champion and preferably editor for a new IPP MIB task.
 
4) A champion for the host-to-device task (this is currently outside the
scope of the IETF WG).

Please respond to the DL or to me personally, new faces are obviously welcome.

If we cannot find people prepared to take on these tasks, we are in trouble!

(Curious to see if this goes through the spam filters)

Carl-Uno

Carl-Uno Manros
Principal Engineer - Advanced Printing Standards - Xerox Corporation
701 S. Aviation Blvd., El Segundo, CA, M/S: ESAE-231
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: [email-masked]

---

From: Jay Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 13:09:13 -0500

Carl-Uno,

In your message titled "ADM - 'IPP Job Openings'" (attached below)
you listed this item:

  4) A champion for the host-to-device task (this is currently
     outside the scope of the IETF WG).

Seems we keep crossing on this particular path, namely, whether
the IPP project (of which the IETF IPP WG is part of that project)
is supposed to take on the requirements for a true host-to-device
protocol.

I have stated many, many times in the past that the IPP project
should NOT attempt to address the "host-to-device" protocol issue.
Instead, the UPD project was formed (by me, back in May '97) for
*expressly* this kind of work.

IPP is for printing over the Internet.  UPD addresses the more
critical needs of the intranet, with requirements that far surpass
those of the IPP.

Let's let UPD take its own course, without placing unnecessary
constraints on it from the outstart.

Comments from others?

	...jay

----------------------------------------------------------------------
--  JK Martin               |  Email:   [email-masked]          --
--  Underscore, Inc.        |  Voice:   (603) 889-7000              --
--  41C Sagamore Park Road  |  Fax:     (603) 889-2699              --
--  Hudson, NH 03051-4915   |  Web:     http://www.underscore.com   --
----------------------------------------------------------------------