Subject: IPP> NOT - Is SNMPv3 suitable for IPP Notifications?

From: Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 10:38:27 PST

All,

We have had a rather intensive debate between Randy, who first
proposed that we might want to use SNMPv3 traps or informs for
IPP notifications, and Ira, who thinks that the whole idea is
wrong. 

With the exception of Jay's comments earlier today, it has been
very quiet from the rest of the group on this subject. Are there
any other views on the subject? Do you support one or the other
combattants' views? 

If all we will be hearing is arguments between mainly two people
with diametrically opposite views, we are not going to archieve 
anything.

We are supposed to discuss this next week in the IETF in LA and 
it would be nice to have a little better understanding of where 
the group stands in this debate by then. Should we abandon SNMPv3 
as a candidate for IPP notifications and concentrate our efforts 
on a new or different solution? 

Please give more feedback to the DL. 

Carl-Uno

Carl-Uno Manros
Principal Engineer - Advanced Printing Standards - Xerox Corporation
701 S. Aviation Blvd., El Segundo, CA, M/S: ESAE-231
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: [email-masked]