Subject: RE: PMP>Unavailable vs. Broken - review by April 17th

From: Ron Bergman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 08:56:32 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

Tom,

The Dataproducts implementation conforms to the Top-25 alert definitions
reporting "Unavailable because Broken".

I would, however, prefer that the HR MIB and the Printer be revised to
allow more flexibility in these conditions to allow the true condition of
the printer to be reported.

	Ron Bergman
	Dataproducts Corp.

---

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 09:29:25 PDT

It looks like a number of products do set the broken bit as well as the
unavailable bit, so we shouldn't change the spec for the top 25
out from under them.

So I would think that we should add a note to application writers 
that the broken bit doesn't necessarily mean that the device is broken.

>the printer to be reported.

But if we make such a change, how is an application to know whether a device
that has set the broken bit is really broken or is one of the existing
devices that sets the broken bit because the top 25 says to set the bit?

Unfortunately, I don't think we can use the broken bit to mean broken 
without impacting existing implementations.

---

From: Ron Bergman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 16:35:11 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

Tom,

The bit is currently meaningless, we should either admit this fact and
recommend not using it or fix the problem.  To keep it as is is
essentially the former.

	Ron Bergman
	Dataproducts Corp.