Subject: IPP> IPP WG Last Call for Requirements and LPD Mapping drafts

From: Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 10:54:14 PST

Folks, 

	This is a formal request for final comments within the IETF IPP working
group, prior to submitting two specifications on to the IESG for
consideration as Informational RFCs.  The documents have undergone
considerable and repeated review and revision and we believe that we now
have working group consensus on their adequacy.

	The purpose of a working group Last Call is in the style of "speak now or
forever hold your peace" in case there are fundamental objections which
have not gotten previous or adequate discussion, or minor errors which need
correction.

	Last Call is for 2 weeks.  Hence, the period for working group comments
will close on Wednesday, 19 November (US pacific time reference).

	The relevant documents are:

	Title		: Requirements for an Internet Printing Protocol
	Author(s)	: F. Wright
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ipp-req-01.txt
	Pages		: 55
	Date		: 16-Oct-97
	
          This document is one of a set of documents which together
          describe all aspects of a new Internet Printing Protocol (IPP).
          IPP is an application level protocol that can be used for
          distributed printing on the Internet. The protocol is heavily
          influenced by the printing model introduced in the Document
          Printing Application (ISO/IEC 10175 DPA) standard. Although DPA
          identifies the both end user and administrative features, IPP is
          initially focused only on the end user functionality.

          The full set of IPP documents include:
 
          Requirements for an Internet Printing Protocol
          Internet Printing Protocol/1.0: Model and Semantics
          Internet Printing Protocol/1.0: Protocol Specification
          Rationale for the Structure and Model and Protocol for the
              Internet Printing Protocol

------

       Title     : Mapping between LPD and IPP Protocols                   
       Author(s) : T. Hasting, R. Herriot, N. Jacobs, J. Martin
       Filename  : draft-ietf-ipp-lpd-ipp-map-00.txt
       Pages     : 12
       Date      : 07/15/1997

This Internet-Draft specifies the mapping between (1) the commands and 
operands of the "Line Printer Daemon (LPD) Protocol" specified in RFC 1179 
and (2) the operations and parameters of the Internet Printing Protocol 
(IPP).  One of the purposes of this document is to compare the 
functionality of the two protocols.  Another purpose is to facilitate 
implementation of gateways between LPD and IPP.           
                 
WARNING:  RFC 1179 was not on standards track.  While RFC 1179 was intended
to record existing practice, in some areas it fell short.  However, this 
specification maps between (1) the actual current practice of RFC 1179 and 
(2) IPP.  This document does not attempt to map the numerous divergent 
extensions to the LPD protocol that have been made by many implementors. 

----  

For retrieval:

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login wih the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ipp-req-01.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipp-req-01.txt

and:

     "get draft-ietf-ipp-lpd-ipp-map-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipp-lpd-ipp-map-00.txt

---

Expect to see our remaining documents for Last Call shortly.

Carl-Uno Manros
Co-Chair, IETF IPP Working Group

Carl-Uno Manros
Principal Engineer - Advanced Printing Standards - Xerox Corporation
701 S. Aviation Blvd., El Segundo, CA, M/S: ESAE-231
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: [email-masked]