Subject: Re: IPP> Is that it?/ A tome from home

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 00:19:36 -0500

Larry:

As I said in the forwarded message -- I don't know where they came
up with the first two quotes -- one being the fax one.  In any case, my
presentation only mentioned telephony fax and not internet fax.  The
bottom line of the fax comment was directed at the many cases where
the document exists electronically and is set via the telephony fax
method rather than simply being printed remotely via IPP.

**********************************************
* Don Wright                 [email-masked] *
* Product Manager, Strategic Alliances       *
* Lexmark International                      *
* 740 New Circle Rd                          *
* Lexington, Ky 40550                        *
* 606-232-4808 (phone) 606-232-6740 (fax)    *
**********************************************

[email-masked]
12/01/97 10:25 PM

To:   Don Wright@Lexmark
cc:   [email-masked]
bcc:
Subject:  Re: IPP> Is that it?/ A tome from home

> "IPP will kill fax by offering
> high-quality printing, low telephone charges and multiple copies.
I've been working on 'Requirements for Internet Fax'
(draft-ietf-fax-requirements-XX.txt in the Internet Drafts
directory, and a newer version at

ftp://ftp.parc.xerox.com/pub/masinter/draft-ietf-fax-requirements-04bis.txt
).
The requirements do not designate the protocol used -- it *could*
be IPP. However, it isn't clear how all of the requirements for Internet
Fax can be met by IPP. I'd like to understand better how IPP can be used
for the fax application, if it's really a serious option.
Larry
--
http://www.parc.xerox.com/masinter

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 10:51:28 -0500

Jay:

I think this is exactly the goal we had in mind for IPP.  If the user has
to
do something really different to print to an IPP printer then we have
failed.  For the Windows user, finding the printer and its URL (read:
WEB address), installing it and then printing to it should simply pressing
the PRINT button or icon.  The solutions in the non-Windows space
may be different but for the readers of this article in a general
circulation newspaper, computer equals Windows/Intel.

**********************************************
* Don Wright                 [email-masked] *
* Product Manager, Strategic Alliances       *
* Lexmark International                      *
* 740 New Circle Rd                          *
* Lexington, Ky 40550                        *
* 606-232-4808 (phone) 606-232-6740 (fax)    *
**********************************************
---------------------- Forwarded by Don Wright on 12/02/97 10:47 AM
---------------------------

To:   Don Wright@Lexmark

Don,
Some say that any press is better than no press, right?  ;-)
This statement, however, needs to be publicly debunked by
the IPP group so that public expectations don't blow up in
our faces:
>  The Internet printing protocol (IPP) will make
>  it possible to print out documents by locating its Web address
>  and simply pressing the "print" button.
There will be some implementations that might allow for this level
of simplicity, but doesn't it seem a bit dangerous for us to
let people think this will be the defacto norm?
     ...jay
----------------------------------------------------------------------
--  JK Martin               |  Email:   [email-masked]          --
--  Underscore, Inc.        |  Voice:   (603) 889-7000              --
--  41C Sagamore Park Road  |  Fax:     (603) 889-2699              --
--  Hudson, NH 03051-4915   |  Web:     http://www.underscore.com   --
----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Scott Isaacson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 1997 10:35:12 -0700

Jay,

>>> Jay Martin <[email-masked]> 12/02 8:15 AM >>>

I agree with "management of expectations", but I, for one, had hoped that
such a feature might soon be a common practice for Internet users.  I know
that you (and I) have spent much time and effort at enterprise printing
solutions, but last week when I was at Comdex, there were so many people
that I talked to who are just dying for such easy printing functionality
from their Internet clients (weather they be fat, thin, or set-top Web TV
clients).  Why do we want to debunk what we have been trying to get to. 
Will it ALL happen the day the IESG says that we have proposed standard
RFCs?  No.  Will it happen some day?  I sure hope so.

Scott