Subject: JMP> Re: PWG> Charter: Traps for use with the Job Monitoring MIB

From: [email-masked] (Ira Mcdonald x10962)
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 20:00:12 PST

Hi Ron,

Would you consider having a telecon during the upcoming PWG meeting
in March, to widen the participation on the Job Mon MIB traps
project discussion?  All of the key people at Xerox who have
participated in Xerox (private) specification of job monitoring
traps and trap registration methods are unable to attend in March
(I know - I've been checking with them).

Thanks for pushing this IMPORTANT issue along.  As the first
PWG standard and NOT an IETF standard, I believe the PWG Job
Mon MIB has a unique opportunity to address domain-specific
traps sensibly and MUCH more quickly than could be done
for an IETF 'standards track' document.

To stimultate discussion, my two cents on trap registration
1)  SNMPv3 carries way to much security baggage, to be a
    good trap registration method
2)  There AREN'T any other IETF 'standards track' trap
    registration methods
3)  A PWG standardized solution for the PWG Job Mon MIB
    could also EASILY be a PWG standardized solution
    for the IETF/PWG Printer MIB (different OID subtree)
4)  A PWG standardized solution could EASILY be SNMP
    version independent (ie, SNMPv1, SNMPv1Secure[obsolete],
    SNMPv2Historic[RFC144x series], SNMPv2[RFC 190x series],
    and SNMPv3 [RFC227x series, last month])

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald