Subject: IPP> MOD & PRO - "printer-uri" or "job-uri" in Operation Attributes

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 15:19:11 PDT

The IPP/1.0 Protocol document examples do not show the "printer-uri" or
"job-uri" (or "printer-uri" and "job-id") as being one (two) of the
Operation attributes in each request.

The Model document is quite clear about the "Target" for each request
being one or two Operation attributes.  See section 3.1.3.

I belive that we agreed at the end that in order to make our protocol
independent of the transport, that the "target" of the request would
be passed in the Operation Attribute group (as well as being in the 
HTTP/1.1 header).

So we should add the "printer-uri", "job-uri", or "printer-uri"/"job-id"
attributes to the request examples.

ISSUE:  where in the Operation attribute group, should these 
attributes go?  We have already agreed that the "attributes-charset"
and "attributes-natural-language" SHALL come first, in that order, since 
the charset is needed in order to be able to understand the subsequent 
attributes in the Operation Attributes group that have values that are 
text or name.  And both attributes MUST be passed in every request and
response.

In talking with Bob Herriot, we suggest that the target come immediately
after the "attributes-charset" and "attributes-natural-language attributes.
Thus the next attribute SHALL be: "printer-uri" or "job-uri" or
the next two attributes SHALL be: "printer-uri" and "job-id", depending
on the operation.

So the Model document needs to be updated to specify the order of the
above Operation attributes, since the order applies to all protocol
mappings.

Ok?

Tom