Subject: IPP> I-D ACTION:draft-palme-int-print-03.txt

From: Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 09:27:15 PST

FYI,

This I-D gives you explicit advice on how to format documents for
international distribution. I actually applied these rules for many years
working in ITU and ISO, but now they have also been documented!

Carl-Uno 

>To: IETF-Announce:;
>From: [email-masked]
>Reply-to: [email-masked]
>Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-palme-int-print-03.txt
>Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 06:47:16 PST
>Sender: [email-masked]
>
>A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
>
>	Title		: Making Postscript and PDF International
>	Author(s)	: J. Palme
>	Filename	: draft-palme-int-print-03.txt
>	Pages		: 3
>	Date		: 11-Mar-98
>	
>Certain text formats, for example Postscript (MIME-Type:
>application/postscript; file extension .ps) and Portable Document Format
>(MIME-Type: application/pdf;  file extension .pdf) specify exactly the
>page layout of the printed document. The commonly used paper format is
>different in North America and the rest of the world. North America uses
>the 'Letter' format, while the rest of the world mostly uses the ISO-
>standard 'A4' format. This means that documents formatted on one
>continent may not be easily printable on another continent. This memo
>gives advice on how to produce documents which are equally well
>printable with the Letter and the A4 formats. By using the advice in
>this document, you can put up a document on the Internet, which
>recipients can print without problem both in and outside North America.
> 
>A very short summary of the advice in this document: If you are using
>U.S. Letter paper format, ensure that both the left and right margins
>are at least 21 mm (0.8 in). If you are using A4 paper format, ensure
>that both the top and bottom margins are at least 33 mm (1.3 in).
>
>Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
>"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
>type "cd internet-drafts" and then
>	"get draft-palme-int-print-03.txt".
>A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
>ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-palme-int-print-03.txt
>
>Internet-Drafts directories are located at:
>
>	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
>	
>	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
>		ftp.nis.garr.it
>			
>	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
>	
>	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
>	
>	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu
>
>Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.
>
>Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
>	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-palme-int-print-03.txt".
>	
>NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
>	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
>	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
>	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
>	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
>	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
>	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
>	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
>	how to manipulate these messages.
>		
>		
>Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
>implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
>Internet-Draft.
>
><ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-palme-int-print-03.txt>
>
Carl-Uno Manros
Principal Engineer - Advanced Printing Standards - Xerox Corporation
701 S. Aviation Blvd., El Segundo, CA, M/S: ESAE-231
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: [email-masked]