Subject: Re: IPP> Proposal for new IPP scheme

From: Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 16:22:07 PDT

At 02:25 PM 6/16/98 PDT, Turner, Randy wrote:
>	
>Please review the attached summary of Larry's proposal for a new IPP
>scheme. I added some clarifications and a particular scenario for scheme
>interpretation. This summary is a brief version that was culled from my
>notes, and Larry's subsequent comments to me.
>The brevity of this summary is maintained due to the possible inclusion
>and modification should the WG (or IESG) decide some additional text is
>required for IPP-specific "secure" schemes. For this reason, please
>treat this proposal as a first draft.
>
>Randy
>
> <<maspro.txt>> 
>
>Attachment Converted: "C:\WINNT\profiles\cmanros\personal\Attach\maspro.txt"
>

Randy,

Did you have any discussion with Larry about what a browser is expected to
do if your enter an ipp: URL and hit Enter?

All other URLs that I am aware of do something sensensible in that
situation. The closest equivalent I can think of is the mailto: URL which
usually comes up with a mail submission window. Should an ipp: URL come up
with a print submission window? If so, do we have anybody that might commit
to implement that?

All in all, I think there is more than meets the eye to introduce a new
scheme, in particular one that really is an alias for another scheme, which
as far as I know, is a new kind of animal in the IETF garden of Eden.

Carl-Uno
Carl-Uno Manros
Principal Engineer - Advanced Printing Standards - Xerox Corporation
701 S. Aviation Blvd., El Segundo, CA, M/S: ESAE-231
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: [email-masked]

---

From: Jay Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 19:36:30 -0400

> as far as I know, is a new kind of animal in the IETF garden of Eden.

I agree.  While the notion of mapping "ipp:" to "http://blah:nnn"
sounds interesting, are we breaking too much ground here?

It's the end-user experience I worry about.  It's ok to say
that "clients and servers will 'do the right thing'", but
we also say that we'd like to put our IPP printer addresses
on our business cards, etc.

Sounds like we might be heading for a bit of a crash
with regarding to user expectations.

	...jay

----------------------------------------------------------------------
--  JK Martin               |  Email:   [email-masked]          --
--  Underscore, Inc.        |  Voice:   (603) 889-7000              --
--  41C Sagamore Park Road  |  Fax:     (603) 889-2699              --
--  Hudson, NH 03051-4915   |  Web:     http://www.underscore.com   --
----------------------------------------------------------------------