Subject: IPP> PRO Section 9.7 vs. MOD section 4.3: need clarificatio

From: Carl Kugler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 17:34:18 -0500

Looking at example 9.7, Get-Jobs Response, I don't see an attributes-charset
attribute in any of the three job attributes groups.  But section 4.3 of the
Model document, "Job Description Attributes", says that attributes-charset is
MANDATORY in the "job-description" attribute group.  This is causing me
cognitive dissonance.

---

From: Robert Herriot <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 1998 12:47:01 -0700

If I understand your question correctly, I think that you have having the same
confusion 
that many other people have had about the word "MANDATORY".  It means that
the "Printer" must support the attribute. It does NOT mean that the attribute
must
be included in each request/response.

In this particular case, attributes-charset is MANDATORY, i.e. the printer
must

support the attribute, but in the get-jobs reponse it MUST be in the operation
attributes
group and it is only in each job attribute group if the client requested the
attribute via the
requested-attributes attribute in the request. Note, even if it is present
in a
job attributes
group it does not affect the charset of those attributes.  All attributes in
the entire
response are in the charset specified by attributes-charset in the operations
attribute
group, which I still believe must be first in that group (a change we need to
make
to the model document).

Note that in the example attributes-natural-language is in one of the job
attribute
groups in order to override the natural-language in the operation attributes. 
As I
have been implementing IPP, I have come to believe that this was a bad idea. 
It again
requires a special ordering, i.e. attributes-natural-language must precede all
other
attributes if processing is to be simple.

Bob Herriot