Subject: JMP> Further Clarifications on counting

From: Harry Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 14:23:29 -0500

There is ambiguity in our definition of attributes like
impressionsCompletedCurrentCopy and currentCopyNumber in terms of how to
synchronize them. Basically, the first is a trailing edge function, the second
is leading edge. This results in undefined states between the last impression
of a copy and the first impression of the next copy.

I would like to rename currentCopyNumber to sheetCompleteCopyNumber and make
sure the definition clearly points out that all "currentCopy" attributes
trigger off the SAME event, which is basically a sheet stacking. The
sheetCompleteCopyNumber should start with a value of -1 or -2 to indicate it
has no meaning until at least one sheet has stacked. When the sheet stacks then
the values impressionsCompletedCurrentCopy = 2 and sheetCompleteCopyNumber = 1
make sense. The sheetCompleteCopyNumber should always refer to the copy number
of the last sheet stacked and never point forward to some future copy which is
being worked on.

Harry Lewis - IBM Printing Systems

---

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 12:38:10 PST

>of a copy and the first impression of the next copy.

In other words, if the currentCopyNumber advanced as the device starts
to work on the next copy, but the impressionsCompletedCurrentCopy remained
at the number of impressions in that copy, it would look like the new copy
had done a whole bunch of impressions at once.

So both attributes need to be changed on the same event as you point out.

>of the last sheet stacked and never point forward to some future copy
which is

Sounds good.

How about changing the name from currentCopyNumber to stackedCopyNumber,
instead of sheetCompleteCopyNumber?  

Also, why can't the value of stackedCopyNumber be 0 before the first
sheet of the first copy is stacked, instead of -1 or -2?

So the possible values for each are through time:

   stackedCopyNumber  impressionsCompletedCurrentCopy

   0                  0
   1                  1
   1                  2
   1                  3
   2                  1
   2                  2
   2                  3

The last values stay that way until the job is deleted.