Subject: IPP> NOT - [ENP] Justification -- Why ENP?

From: Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 1998 11:52:06 PST

Hi,

Just to call your attention to the fact that the WebDAV group seems to be
on the verge of inventing a new notification mechanism.

Scott, are you aware of this?

Carl-Uno

>Resent-Date: Thu, 5 Mar 1998 10:12:03 PST
>Resent-Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
>X-Authentication-Warning: www10.w3.org: Host inet-gw.indy.tce.com
[157.254.232.6] claimed to be tcemail.indy.tce.com
>From: Fisher Mark <[email-masked]>
>To: "'Ron Daniel Jr.'" <[email-masked]>, "'Jim Whitehead'"
<[email-masked]>,
>        "'Josh Cohen'" <[email-masked]>,
>        "'Masinter Larry'" <[email-masked]>,
>        "'Surendra Reddy'" <[email-masked]>,
>        "'Markus Fleck'" <[email-masked]>
>Cc: "'w3c-dist-auth'" <[email-masked]>
>Date: Thu, 5 Mar 1998 10:11:33 PST
>Resent-To: <[email-masked]>
>Subject: [ENP] Justification -- Why ENP?
>Resent-From: [email-masked]
>X-Mailing-List: <[email-masked]> archive/latest/1620
>X-Loop: [email-masked]
>Sender: [email-masked]
>Resent-Sender: [email-masked]
>
>First, thanks to all of you who expressed an interest in ENP.  I've been
>buried with other projects, so I am just now coming back to this.  Below
>is a very rough draft of a paragraph I plan to put near the front of the
>ENP draft, explaining why there should be yet another event notification
>protocol.
>
>Surendra Reddy has offered to co-edit the draft with me, and I gladly
>accept his offer.  Surendra -- I suggest that we go off-line and discuss
>the request part of the protocol, then once we are happy with that, we
>will bring it to the rest of the WebDAV working group, or a separate
>working group if others feel that ENP is way beyond the bounds of what
>WebDAV should itself cover, as I think it probably is.
>
>All -- I will look into hosting the (potential) ENP working group
>mailing list (TCE has never done that before, to my knowledge).
>==========================================================
>Mark Leighton Fisher          Thomson Consumer Electronics
>[email-masked]          Indianapolis, IN
>"Browser Torture Specialist, First Class"
>
>
>
>*** Why ENP?
>There are several different network event notification protocols already
>-- CORBA Event Services, X Window System events, SGAP, BSCW, etc. -- so
>why should there be another event notification protocol?  In two words
>-- size and decentralization:
>* Size is an issue, as the 2 most popular network event notification
>protocols -- CORBA Event Services and X Window System events -- under
>their current codebases require dragging along all of their other
>services.  This code bloat makes it impractical to use network event
>notification services in lightweight and embedded-systems applications.
>* Centralization is an issue, as centralized network event notification
>servers are only needed when there are multiple recipients of event
>notifications and/or multiple disjoint event types for notifications
>(i.e. multiple event types on a server to be notified about).
>
>ENP is a lightweight network event notification protocol that can be
>used either by itself (when there is one notification requester and one
>major event type) or as part of a centralized network event notification
>service (where there are multiple event notification requesters and
>multiple major event types).
>
>
>
Carl-Uno Manros
Principal Engineer - Advanced Printing Standards - Xerox Corporation
701 S. Aviation Blvd., El Segundo, CA, M/S: ESAE-231
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: [email-masked]