Subject: Re: IPP> PRO: Protocol Examples

From: Carl Kugler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 14:46:02 -0400

According to MOD, "IPP requires all lower case" for 'charset' and
'naturalLanguage' (refer to sections 4.1.9 and 4.1.10).  However, the Protocol
Examples in Appendix A of MOD show mixed-case values, e.g.: "en-US" and "
US-ASCII", for attributes of type 'charset' and 'naturalLanguage' such as
attributes-charset and attributes-natural-language.  Is this apparent conflict
an error?

  -Carl Kugler

---

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 21:59:45 PDT

I would say yes.  The Protocol document should be fixed so that all 

keyword values are all lower case.

I checked with the charset registry and the preferred MIME name is
"US-ASCII".

Fortunrately, it also say up front:

<bigger>The character set names may be up to 40 characters taken from
the

printable characters of US-ASCII.  However, no distinction is made

between use of upper and lower case letters.

</bigger>

so IPP is ok in forcing the client to make these keywords be all lower

case for simplicity in the server.

Presumably, the server should reject a client that passes in keywords

with uppercase in them, using the error code: 
'client-error-bad-request'

Or are we expecting servers to convert keywords to lower case before

processing them?

This could be an interoperability problem if we don't all agree.

Tom