Subject: Re: IPP> Re: New IPP Scheme

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 08:49:16 -0400

I'm confused...

In Bob Herriot's summary of the telecon agreement, he said:

>     job attributes -
>        job-uri
>        job-printer-uri
>    printer attributes -
>        printer-uri-supported
>    operation attributes -
>        job-uri
>        printer-uri
>
>If the scheme of the target URL in a request (i.e. the value of
>"printer-uri" or "job-uri" operation attribute) is some scheme 'x', other
>than 'ipp', the behavior of the IPP object is not defined by this
document.
>However, it is RECOMMENDED that if an operation on an IPP object creates a
>new value for any of the above attributes, that attribute has the same
>scheme 'x'. It is also RECOMMENDED that if an IPP object returns any of
the
>seven attributes above in the response, that the IPP object returns those
>URL values as is, regardless of the scheme of the target URL.

1) In the sentence that starts out "However, it is RECOMMENDED..." what
does "that attribute has the same scheme 'x'" mean?  Has the same scheme as
what??

2) The last sentence says "...any of the seven attributes above..."  Yet
there are only five attributes listed above.  I don't think there are
attributes missing so should that be "...any of the five attributes
above..."????

3) What does "as is" later in the same sentence mean?

**********************************************
* Don Wright                 [email-masked] *
* Product Manager, Strategic Alliances       *
* Lexmark International                      *
* 740 New Circle Rd                          *
* Lexington, Ky 40550                        *
* 606-232-4808 (phone) 606-232-6740 (fax)    *
**********************************************

---

From: Robert Herriot <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 13:40:28 -0700

Comments are below.

>does "that attribute has the same scheme 'x'" mean?  Has the same scheme as

What I meant was that if a Printer receives a Create-Job operation with 
"ipp://foo.com/printers/Foo" as the value of the "printer-uri" attribute, 
then the Printer creates a "job-uri" attribute with an "ipp" scheme, e.g. 
"ipp://foo.com/printers/Foo/123". Likewise, if a Printer receives a 
Create-Job operation with "http://foo.com:631/printers/Foo" as the value of 
the "printer-uri" attribute, then the Printer creates a "job-uri" attribute 
with an "http" scheme, e.g. "http://foo.com:631/printers/Foo/123".

>attributes missing so should that be "...any of the five attributes

I guess I can't count.
>3) What does "as is" later in the same sentence mean?

If you are referring to the user interface paragraph, I was trying to say 
that the software doesn't change a URL in any way.  If a user can see a URL, 
it will be the same as the one passed in one of the five attributes. That 
is, if the attribute value is "ipp://foo.com/printers/Foo", that is what the 
user sees, and if the value is "http://foo.com:631/printers/Foo", that is 
what the user sees.