Subject: RE: IPP> Re: JMP> URGENT: Should impressions include blank last p age back sides or not?

From: "Wagner, William" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 11:44:14 -0500

This was discussed in great detail at the LA meeting.  If one agrees
that the MIB is to provide information on what the printer does, which
may not necessarily agree with what the rate structures may or may not
be at a particular place at a particular time,  then I think the
contention that sending a sheet side through transfer and fixing steps
constitutes making an impression. The question of how much colorant is
put on that page is a separate one. If it is a single period, a fully
colored page or a blank page, colorant use is a different characteristic
from impression, and one which could be instrumented. 

In most page printers, the information that a page has no marking is not
readily available. The page goes though the same processes, takes pretty
much the same time and the same wear and tear on the mechanism. I
suggest that,  unless the printer has a way of  separately ejecting such
sheet sides, from a printer point of view,  treating a blank side
differently is an artificial distinction.

The point may be moot. I am told that commercial duplication houses
charge by the sheet, with perhaps a different sheet rate for duplex (but
no distinction for blank sides). A large in-house reports  person told
me that there are no blank pages; there is a header or footer, a page
number, or a  "This page intentionally left blank" message.

I suggest that a measure of importance from those actually concerned
with the accounting be obtained before the MIB imposes the derivation of
another parameter on the printer.

W. A. Wagner (Bill Wagner)
OSICOM/DPI

> -----Original Message-----
> From:	Jay Martin [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent:	Wednesday, December 17, 1997 11:50 PM
> To:	Tom Hastings
> Cc:	[email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject:	IPP> Re: JMP> URGENT: Should impressions include blank
> last page back sides  or not?
> 
> Sorry, but I must agree with Angelo Caruso with the position
> that most folks are going to be pretty upset if they are
> charged for blanks sides of sheets.  Can't say that I like
> that idea at all.
> 
> 	...jay
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> --  JK Martin               |  Email:   [email-masked]          --
> --  Underscore, Inc.        |  Voice:   (603) 889-7000              --
> --  41C Sagamore Park Road  |  Fax:     (603) 889-2699              --
> --  Hudson, NH 03051-4915   |  Web:     http://www.underscore.com   --
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------