Subject: Re: JMP> Addition of natural language attributes to JMP to a

From: Harry Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 17:25:10 -0500

Tom, one quick question about the natural lang tag we added. I want to assure
these only apply to "back channel" information. Comments passed by the device
or server... but always on the return path with respect to the printer job...
never passed in with the job. If this is not true, then we have a problem with
legacy PDLs like PJL, PCL, Postscript etc, which might pass a comment but give
no clue what the natural language is.

Harry Lewis - IBM Printing Systems

---

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 10:01:32 PST

We added two natural language tags: 

1.  processingMessagNaturalLanguageTag(7) which is the only "back channel"
text string attribute (at the moment) that is likely to have a natural
language associated with it.

For an implementation that does not support the processingMessage(6)
attribute, this attribute is not implemented either.

2.  jobNaturalLanguageTag(9) which is the natural language submitted by
the submitter.  For those protocols that don't have this capability or
where the submitter does not supply the natural language, the agent
should either not return this attribute or return a zero length string
as the description says.

For an implementation that does not support any protocols, like IPP, 
where the job submitter supplies a natural langauge, I would assume that 
the implementation would not implement this attribute at all (as with
any attribute).

Here are the two definitions.  Any suggestions for further clarifying them?

Tom

processingMessageNaturalLanguageTag(7), 	OCTET STRING(SIZE(0..63))
OCTETS:  MULTI-ROW:  The natural language of the corresponding
processingMessage(6) attribute value.  See section 3.6.1, entitled 'Text
generated by the server or device'.

If the agent does not know the natural language of the job processing
message, the agent SHALL either (1) return a zero length string value for
the processingMessageNaturalLanguageTag(7) attribute or (2) not return the
processingMessageNaturalLanguageTag(7) attribute for the job.  

There is no restriction for the same tag occurring in multiple rows, since
when this attribute is implemented, it SHOULD have a value row for each
corresponding processingMessage(6) attribute value row.

jobNaturalLanguageTag(9), 	OCTET STRING(SIZE(0..63))
OCTETS: The natural language of the job attributes supplied by the job
submitter or defaulted by the server or device for the job, i.e., all
objects and attributes represented by the 'JmJobStringTC'
textual-convention, such as jobName, mediumRequested, etc.  See Section
3.6.2, entitled 'Text supplied by the job submitter'.

If the agent does not know what natural language was used by the job
submitting client, the agent SHALL either (1) return a zero length string
value for the jobNaturalLanguageTag(9) attribute or (2) not return
jobNaturalLanguageTag(9)  attribute for the job.

1. Not return this attribute