Subject: JMP> Re: Job MIB charter

From: Harry Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 1997 12:13:09 -0500

Chris, when I asked for an explanation of the status of the Job MIB
charter, you pointed to a note from Harald  Alvestrand (8/21/97).
In his note (appended, below), Harald explains IETF philosophy,
constraints, direction etc. which is very helpful.  In summary,
Harald tells us that the IETF, like any organization, must limit
their scope to be effective - a concept with which I fully agree.

You offer Harald's message as the definitive IETF response to the Job MIB
but, at the end of his note , Harald states

"I've scheduled the Job MIB on my list of things to look at; let's hope
things get sorted out correctly!"

Harald cited several reasons why a charter may be denied, including

- The proposal is not going to be used in or around the Internet
- The proposal cannot be evaluated by IETF experts for lack of competence
- The proposal cannot be modified if the IETF community thinks that it
  needs modification
- The proposal does not fit with IETF policy

These are not the only points Harald makes, there are others, such as
bandwidth of the IETF advisors.

If Harald doesn't have time to address the Job MIB, that's understandable.
The IETF area directors certainly have as much reason to  be "swamped"
as the rest of us. And, I admit, to an area director, "Print Job MIB"
may not seem as central an issue as "Web security". I can sympathize
with the dynamics of the priority stack, here. But... then what are we
to do?

All I am asking for is an explanation of the current status of the Job MIB
charter and, if rejected, WHY.

In helping the IETF make a determination, I think it must be pointed out how
the Job MIB relates to the Internet and other IETF standards activities

---

From: Chris Wellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 1997 09:17:49 -0800 (PST)

I believe it was shortly after Harald sent that message that he
and Keith discussed it and sent private email to Lloyd and I
that the answer was no.  We then informed the group.

I did not save a copy of the private email; I don't have the exact
dates; I don't remember every single detail.  I spent time digging up
Harald's original message, because some one had stated that the
rationale had not been put forward, and in fact, it had.

I think the matter is closed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--==--==--==-  Chris Wellens             President & CEO
==--==--==--=  Email: [email-masked]     Web: http://www.iwl.com/
--==--==--==-  InterWorking Labs, Inc.   244 Santa Cruz Ave, Aptos, CA 95003
==--==--==--=  Tel:  +1 408 685 3190     Fax:  +1 408 662 9065
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------