Subject: Re: IPP> Re: IPP Scheme

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 12:46:55 -0400

Keith Moore said:

>The problem with using http: for printers is that it hides the fact
>that the resource is a printer.

... and the problem with "ipp:" is that it hides the fact that
the protocol is really HTTP!!!

**********************************************
* Don Wright                 [email-masked] *
* Product Manager, Strategic Alliances       *
* Lexmark International                      *
* 740 New Circle Rd                          *
* Lexington, Ky 40550                        *
* 606-232-4808 (phone) 606-232-6740 (fax)    *
**********************************************

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 15:00:37 -0400

> the protocol is really HTTP!!!

I guess I consider it more important for the URL to describe the
end resource that it's providing, than for it to describe the
underlying protocol(s).  We don't have tcp: or ip: URLs; we have 
URLs for higher level services.  Some URL schemes don't imply a 
particular protocol.  However, for every URL scheme that uses the 
name of a protocol, the URL names the highest layer protocol 
on the stack, rather than some lower layer.

Keith