Subject: IPP> Notification Parameter: Time Limit

From: [email-masked] (Rich Gray)
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 17:51:14 -0500

If I may offer a suggestion:

        INTERNET DRAFT                                 Roger K deBry
        <draft-ietf-ipp-not-00.txt>                  IBM Corporation
                                                   February 19, 1998
...

  127  2.9 Notification Events
  128
  129  Any of the following constitute events that a Job Submitting End User
  130  can specify notifications be sent for. Notifications are sent to an
  131  end user only for that end user's job, or for events that affect the
  132  processing of that end user's job.
  133
  134  - Any standard Printer MIB alert (i.e. device events that impact the
  135     end user's job)
  136  - Job Received (transition from Unknown to Pending or Pending-held)
  137  - Job Started (Transition from Pending to Processing)
  138  - Page Complete (Page is stacked)
  139  - Collated Copy Complete (last sheet of collated copy is stacked)
  140  - Job Complete (transition from Processing or  Processing-stopped to
  141     Completed)
  142  - Job aborted (transition from Pending, Pending-held,  Processing,
  143     or Processing-stopped to Aborted)
  144  - Job canceled (transition from Pending, Pending-held, Processing,
  145     or Processing-held to Canceled)

       - The job has not ended (Completed, Aborted, Canceled, etc.) by the
user's
          specified time limit.  The resulting notification will inform the
          notification recipient(s) of the current status of the job but will
          in no other way affect the job.

...

4.6  I submit a job to a printer in the datacenter.   I don't care about any
     intermediate states the job goes through (such as the fact that the printer
     ran out of paper and the attendant had to reload it.)  I just wish to know 
     that my job has completed successfully (or failed) in a timely manner.

     If the job does not complete in an hour, I wish to know what is wrong
     why so I can call the datacenter and complain.

     I submit the print job with the following attributes:
 
       - Notification Recipient - me
       - Notification Type - immediate
       - Notification Events - job complete 
                               or Time Limit( now + 1 hour ) expired

Rich

Richard B. Gray, Sr. Software Egr. | Tel: 513/746-8118 ext. 2405
Digital Controls Corporation       | Fax: 513/743-8575
305 South Pioneer Blvd.            | Net: [email-masked]
Springboro OH 45066-1100, USA      |      http://www.digital-controls.com

---

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 07:52:30 PST

Sounds like a good extension to IPP and another notification event.

A couple of questions:

1. We would need to add a "time-limit" attribute to IPP that the requester
can supply.  Probably should be a delta in some units like minutes
or hours.  Which?

2. Probably should be a job-template attribute so that there could
be a "time-limit-default" that the administrator could configure,
and the "time-limit-supported" would be a range.

3. I assume from your description that the job is not deleted when it 
exceeds the time-limit, correct?  So it is just part of ISO DPA's
job-discard-time attribute.

Tom

---

From: James Walker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 16:48:14 -0600

> can supply.  Probably should be a delta in some units like minutes

Actually, with a 32-bit integer data type, I would think that seconds
is a mighty fine granularity.

> and the "time-limit-supported" would be a range.

Agreed.

> job-discard-time attribute.

Actually, it sounds more like job-deadline-time attribute.  If
you recall your ISO 10175,

  This attribute specifies the calendar date and time of day by which
  the user desires the print-job to be completed.  This attribute is
  treated as a scheduling hint only.  If the specified deadline time
  arrives before completion of the job, the server shall generate the
  error-past-deadline event for the job, but the current-job-state
  shall not be changed.  ...

For me, this brings up the whole issue of work that we thought long
and hard over in the DPA discussions, that we seem to be leaving
behind.  I will be the first to admit that a lot of complexity made
its way into the DPA.  However, there is also a lot of wisdom that
made it in, as well.  In this particular area, the whole idea of
job-deadline-time, job-discard-time, and job-retention-period are
flexible and useful ideas.

Anyone want to dredge up their copy of ISO 10175 and pull out their
favorite ideas that ought to be carried forward in this new printing
protocol?

...walker

--
Jim Walker <[email-masked]>
System Architect/DAZEL Wizard
DAZEL Corporation, Austin, TX