Subject: IPP> Move "orientation-requested" from J.T. to Operation attribute group?

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 09:53:05 PST

1. So should we move "orientation-requested" from being a Job Template
attribute to being an operation attribute, since it applies only to
documents that don't have orientation embedded in the document
and is not requesting to override the document?

Job Template attributes are intended to be requests to override what
is in the document data (as Harry Lewis points out).

If we do make it an operation attribute on Print-Job, Validate-Job,
Print-URI, Send-Document, and Send-URI, we also need to move
the corresponding "orientation-requested-default" and
"orientation-requested-supported" to the Printer object's Printer
Description group.

(NOTE: such movement will be the fifth attribute that we have moved
from the Job Template attributes group to the Operation attributes
and Printer Description attributes group (the other 4 being: "compression",
"job-k-octets", "job-impressions", and "job-media-sheets".)

2a. Should we rename the operation attribute from "orientation-requested"
to "orientation-default", since it is not a request to override the PDL
data, but only to be used if the PDL data does not contain an orientation
instruction.

BTW, I think that this attribute can apply to other PDLs, than 'text/plain'
which can NEVER contain an orientation instruction.  However, I suspect
that other PDLs, such as PCL and DEC-PPL3, can have an OPTIONAL 
orientation embedded instruction.  (Hence the cc list).  When a document
is being printed in which the optional instruction was omitted, the
"orientation-default" attribute could be used to control the orienation.
Therefore, the semantics are exactly those of any "xxx-default" attribute,
except that this attribute is being supplied by the client, instead of
the Printer object.

If we do rename the atribute, then the corresponding Printer Description 
attributes would become:  "orientation-default-default" and 
"orientation-default-suppoted".

2b. Or could we say that the Printer Description attribute is really the
same as the operation attribute, since they have the same semantics
and so call the Printer Description attributes:

  "orientation-default"  and "orientation-default-supported"?

We currently have the "job-name" as an operation attribute which is
the same as the "job-name" Job description attribute, so having an
attribute with the same name in these two different groups would
be the same idea for the "orientation-default" operation attribute.

We've agreed that we can't have the same name for an attribute in the
Job Template attribute group and any other group.

Comments?

Tom