Subject: IPP> Status code question

From: "Turner, Randy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 11:48:25 -0800

I am reevaluating the validity and placement of some of our status
codes, in preparation for the addition of contention status codes into
the model document. I was just curious about the "success" status code
(0x0000) and what it means as a response to a PRINT-JOB request. Does it
mean that the job data has been successfully delivered to the device, or
does it mean the job has completed printing successfully? And if the
answer is "Well, it depends upon the implementation...", then I think we
may have a problem with this operation.

Randy

---

From: Carl Kugler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 16:38:52 -0500

> Does it
> does it mean the job has completed printing successfully?

Neither.  My understanding of sections 3.1.7, "Job Creation Operations" and
15.4.8, "Return one of the success status codes", is that the sucess code is
returned after the Job has been created and the request accepted, but
(possibly) before the appended Document Content has been accepted.

If you want to find out if the job completed printing successfully, you have to
poll, and hope that the Printer remembers a completed job for a time longer
than your polling interval.

  -Carl

[email-masked] on 03/12/98 12:51:03 PM
Please respond to [email-masked] @ internet
To: [email-masked] @ internet
cc:
Subject: IPP> Status code question

Randy

---

From: Roger K Debry <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 16:46:07 -0500

I thought Randy's question was specific to Print-Job, in which case
I believe a response means the job was successfully created
AND received.

Roger K deBry
Senior Technical Staff Member
Architecture and Technology
IBM Printing Systems
email: [email-masked]
phone: 1-303-924-4080

[email-masked] on 03/12/98 02:41:23 PM
Please respond to [email-masked] @ internet
To: [email-masked] @ internet
cc:
Subject: Re: IPP> Status code question

  -Carl

Randy

---

From: [email-masked] (Ira Mcdonald x10962)
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 16:43:59 PST

Hi Randy,

"success" just means that the job was well-formed and accepted for
subsequent printing.  It does NOT mean that the job has completed
printing successfully.

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald