Subject: PMP> Status

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 13:40:34 -0500

Ron described the IETF process as being a black hole and I
think this description is quite accurate. The status of the
Printer MIB has not changed from previous reports. The Host
Resources MIB working group is moving forward at what I consider
a snail's pace. Chris sent e-mail to Harald and Keith back in
early December and again last week telling them that the Printer
MIB Working Group has done everything that to move this MIB to
Draft Standard but were being held up by other things outside of
our control and asking for their assistance. So far we have not
heard anything from either e-mail. There is not much else that
Chris or I know to do to get this thing moving forward any faster.
As I see it we have two alternatives:
1. Continue on present course. Wait for the Host Resources MIB
to go to Draft Standard. No estimate on completion date.
2. Take current Printer MIB draft to Proposed Standard. This can be
submitted in a matter of days.

With alternative 2, we could decide at some future date (after HR
MIB gets to Draft Standard) whether to take the Printer MIB on to
Draft Standard or not.

My opinion is that alternative 2 is the best one to pursue.

I will not be present at the PWG meeting in Hawaii so discussion
on this topic is best done via the mailing list.

------------------------------------------------------------
Lloyd Young                       Lexmark International, Inc.
Senior Program Manager            Dept. C14L/Bldg. 035-3
Strategic Alliances               740 New Circle Road NW
internet: [email-masked]     Lexington, KY 40550
Phone: (606) 232-5150             Fax: (606) 232-6740