Subject: Re: IPP> MOD - Definition for 'reverse-portrait' enum value

From: [email-masked] (Robert Herriot)
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 13:29:34 -0800

I suggest the following wording for the paragraphs 4.2.10 that Tom wrote
and I enclose below:

My wording:
-----------------------------------------------
For documents whose document-format does not explicitly specify the
orientation (e.g. text/plain), this attribute specifies the
client-requested orientation of the content of the print-stream pages
when they are printed. For documents whose document-format does explicitly
specify the orientation (e.g. PostScript), this attribute has no meaning --
it neither alters the orientation nor specifies the existing orientation.
-----------------------------------------------
Tom's wording:

> From [email-masked] Wed Jan  7 18:21:58 1998
> Proposed new text:
> 
> 4.2.10	orientation-requested (type2 enum)
> 
> This attribute specifies the orientation of the content of the print-stream
> pages to be printed.  In most cases, the orientation of the content is
> specified within the document format generated by the device driver at
> print time. However, some document formats (such as 'text/plain') do not
> support the notion of page orientation, and it is possible to bind the
> orientation after the document content has been generated.  This attribute
> provides an end user with the means to specify orientation for such
> documents when the IPP Printer performs the formatting.
>

---

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 17:18:14 PST

I like Bob's re-write of the "orientation" attribute much better.

I did not touch that description, but had only added
"when the IPP Printer performs the formatting" to the end of the
existing paragraph.

One possible confusion is that we mean "the content of the print stream
pages do not specify orientation", not the value of the "document-format"
attribute, so change document-format to content (twice).  

Put hyphens around the "document-format" attribute when referring to that
attribute, rather than the concept.

Also as a matter of style, all the other descriptions start out
with "This attribute ...", so I suggest re-ordering the first sentence.

How about:

This attribute specifies the client-requested orientation of the content 
of the print-stream pages when they are printed for documents whose 
content does not explicitly specify the orientation (e.g., "document-format" 
is 'text/plain').  For documents whose content does explicitly specify the
orientation (e.g., PostScript), this attribute SHALL have no meaning -- it
neither alters the orientation nor specifies the existing orientation.

---

From: Ron Bergman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 18:35:53 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)

Bob,

Very good!  This is more direct and easier to understand.

	Ron Bergman
	Dataproducts Corp.