Subject: IPP> MOD - new 980109 model document

From: Scott Isaacson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 11:56:49 -0700

I have posted:

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_MOD/ipp-model-980109-rev.doc
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_MOD/ipp-model-980109-rev.pdf
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_MOD/ipp-model-980109-rev.rtf
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_MOD/ipp-model-980109.doc
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_MOD/ipp-model-980109.pdf
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_MOD/ipp-model-980109.rtf
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_MOD/ipp-model-980109.txt

Comments only one line-numbered
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_MOD/ipp-model-980109.pdf
 please.

The following is the change log:

1. Minor editing changes in the Introduction
2. Fixed the description of the group of "job-description" attributes
3. Under 2.4, added new paragraphs on
 - one or more URI per printer object ("printer-uri-supported")
 - possibly different security mechanisms per URI ("uri-security-supported")
 - client supplies one URI in "printer-uri" operation attribute
 - Job only has one URI (ever)
4. Edited section on directory service entry and reference to 16
5. Named and clarified "operation-id", "status-code", "version-number", and
"request-id" attributes  Added a new level 2 section to 3.0 on
"operation-id" and "request-id"
6. Fixed up the section on "Operation Targets" to account for multi-valued
"printer-uri-supported"
7. For version numbers, clarified that if an IPP object gets a request in an
unsupported version number, the  IPP object returns the CLOSEST supported
version number
8. Added missing "compression-supported", "job-k-octets-supported",
"job-impressions-supported", and "job-media-sheets-supported"
9.  Made "compression" operation attribute (supplied by client) a document
level attribute (not a Job level attribute)  Added it to Send-Document and
Send-URI, removed it from Job Description attributes
10 In Print-Job response, clarified job-uri and job-id
11. Clarified that on a query, and IPP object MAY always respond with a
subset of supported attributes and or values depending on security policy in
place
12. Fixed ambiguity over possible Send-URI with no URI reference
13. Clarified "out-of-band" values and usage
14. Removed un-needed entries in Job Template table (4.2) for "compression
", "job-k-octets ", "job-impressions ", and "job-media-sheets "
15. "orientation" changed to "orientation-requested"  new language to show
that it is a special case Job Template attribute.  Added "reverse-portrait" 
Moved enums to start at 3  Clarified that all IPP enums start at 3 for SNMP
MIB alignment purposes
16.  Added new section on IANA considerations (referenced IANA Consideration
I-D)
17. Added ref for GZIP
18. Clarified "containing-printer-uri"
19. Removed "printer-tls-uri", added "uri-security-supported", and fixed up
"printer-uri-supported".   Gave an example for multiple URIs with different
security mechanisms
20. Made sure all "pdl-override-supported" were not "pdl-override" (fixed an
inconsistency)
21. Changed MUST to SHOULD in 5.4 on conformance requirement for clients to
support TLS
22 Fixed up references to IPP I-Ds
23. Fixed some minor formatting bugs
24. Added Bob's note to case f) in 8.3 (gateway use of user name)
25. Fixed ambiguity in 8,5 on IPP TLS profile
26. Added note on why developers should subscribe to the DL
27. Fixed number 2 in the description of what 'not-attempted' means for
"pdl-override-supported"  Number 2 used to mean something more like
'attempted'
28. Added a new level 3 header in 15.3 to show validation of request-id (in
range 1:MAX)
29. Added a new level 3 header in 15.4 to show check for
"printer-is-accepting-jobs"
30. Fixed up 16 to show new generic directory schema changes corresponding
to "printer-uri-supported" and "uri-security-supported" changes

There is still a problem with "printer-uri", "printer-uri-supported",
"job-id", and "containing-printer-uri" - I will send a separate email.

Scott

************************************************************
Scott A. Isaacson
Corporate Architect
Novell Inc., M/S PRV-C-121 
122 E 1700 S, Provo, UT 84606
voice: (801) 861-7366, (800) 453-1267 x17366
fax: (801) 861-2517
email: [email-masked]
web: http://www.novell.com
************************************************************