Subject: Re: IPP> host-to-device ...

From: Harry Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 23:36:56 -0500

Someone is apparently addressing requirements with the following set of
questions. This is a good approach...

>Will it be sufficient if my local network-printer supports ONLY >IPP?

>Will IPP provide the same functionality provided by proprietary
>solutions?

>Why do network printers have to support an ever increasing number >of
protocols? And often pay a licensing fee for the protocols?

I don't understand this (next)  one, however, and how the context of Netware
(specifically) applies to IPP requirements.

>Will IPP address the issue of print servers and queues (as defined
>by Netware)?

Many systems define servers and queues. Are you suggesting IPP Should adapt to
a Netware paradigm? I would think the other way around.

Harry Lewis - IBM Printing Systems

---

From: Philip Thambidurai <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 06:28:05 -0500

Harry,

That "someone" was me.  Sorry if I forgot to sign.

RE: Netware, I did not mean to imply that this effort should adapt to the
 "Netware paradigm". I did imply that Netware is widely used for printing,
and that any new effort must address issues addressed by Netware and other
proprietary protocols, in order to be accepted.

Philip Thambidurai
Okidata

------------------------------------------------------------------------------