Subject: IPP> ADM - Results from the IPP Phone Conference 980617

From: Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 12:35:44 PDT

All,

In today's phone conference, which included the editors and most of the
main stakeholders in the IPP project, the following agreements were arrived
at:

1) We will update our documents to include a new default port for IPP. The
application for that port has already been sent to IANA for processing.
To use the default port number, it will need to be explicitly included in
IPP URLs using the "http:" scheme.

2) Will will NOT pursue the "ipp:" scheme proposal for inclusion in IPP
V1.0, as it seems to give us more issues than it resolves at present. We
can continue this discussion as a separate topic after IPP V1.0 has been
finished.

3) We will NOT pursue further discussion of a new HTTP method for IPP in
IPP V1.0.

4) We will keep the Printer and Job URIs in the application/ipp as
currently defined. They are mandated to be semantically equivalent with any
corresponding URI information in the HTTP layer. No changes needed to the
current specification.

5) We will document that the minimum length of all text strings are 0
unless otherwise specified.

6) Scott Isaacson will provide an updated version of the Model & Semantics
document in time for next week's phone conference.

7) Paul Moore indicated that he wants to register a few new operations as
extensions to IPP. These will be presented and discussed in the upcoming
IPP meeting in Monterey.

If any of you WG members who were not in the phone conference wants to
object to any of these ananimous agreements, please speak up NOW.

Carl-Uno

Carl-Uno Manros
Principal Engineer - Advanced Printing Standards - Xerox Corporation
701 S. Aviation Blvd., El Segundo, CA, M/S: ESAE-231
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: [email-masked]

---

From: Harry Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 15:56:15 -0400

I am very sorry I was unable to make today's phone conference. However, I am in
FULL agreement with all of the recorded decisions. Congratulations on the
apparent decisive nature of today's call.

Harry Lewis - IBM Printing Systems

[email-masked] on 06/17/98 01:49:13 PM
Please respond to [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
cc:
Subject: IPP> ADM - Results from the IPP Phone Conference 980617

All,

Carl-Uno

Carl-Uno Manros

---

From: [email-masked] (Ira Mcdonald x10962)
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 13:34:50 PDT

Hi folks,

Thanks for your quick positive confirmation, Harry Lewis.
For the information of those NOT on today's telecon, the
participants included:

Carl-Uno M (Xerox)
Tom H (Xerox)
Pete Z (Xerox)
Scott I (Novell)
Bob H (Sun)
Ron B (Dataproducts)
Roger deBry (IBM)
Paul Moore (Microsoft)
Shivaun Albright (HP)
Randy Turner (Sharp)
Jim Walker (Dazel)
Ira McDonald (High North)

That list may not be complete.  To the best of my knowledge,
ALL of the above people participated in the unanimous 
concensus documented in Carl-Uno's note a little while ago
this afternoon.

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald

---

From: Harry Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 23:36:18 -0400

Carl-Uno, in my review of the meeting with Roger, he also mentioned an
agreement to not tie IPPv1 to TLS but to implement with SSL3 for now with plans
to move to TLS when appropriate. I think you missed this in your "minutes". I
think this is in line with recommendations form Keith under the circumstances
regarding lack of closure of TLS.

As with your other conclusions, today... I agree!

All,

Carl-Uno

Carl-Uno Manros

---

From: Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 23:19:39 -0700

Harry,

No this is a misunderstanding. TLS is still in as a SHOULD, SSL3 will be
crossed out except as one attribute value for possible security services.
This was in our initial response back to Keith, and confirmed in our phone
conference with the Area Directors last week.

Carl-Uno

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 07:56:16 -0400

Unfortunately I was unable to participate in the conference call as I was
returning from PC-EXPO.  Perhaps that is good because each and every
decision (1 through 5 in the attached note) is exactly as I prefer.  Maybe
I should miss more calls??!!??

**********************************************
* Don Wright                 [email-masked] *
* Product Manager, Strategic Alliances       *
* Lexmark International                      *
* 740 New Circle Rd                          *
* Lexington, Ky 40550                        *
* 606-232-4808 (phone) 606-232-6740 (fax)    *
**********************************************

Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]> on
06/17/98 03:35:44 PM

To:   [email-masked]
cc:    (bcc: Don Wright)
bcc:  Don Wright
Subject:  IPP> ADM - Results from the IPP Phone Conference 980617

All,

Carl-Uno

Carl-Uno Manros