Subject: JMP> Alignment of media consumed in Printer MIB & Job MIB with IPP to allow media size names

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 17:17:28 PDT

Here is an issue that crosses the Printer MIB and the Job MIB.

Currently, the Job Monitoring MIB has an attribute that records the

media consumed (mediumConsumed) by a job.  It cites the Printer MIB 

for the media names that can be used, such as 'iso-a4-white', and 

'na-letter-white'. 

Currently, the names for media sizes ('iso-a4' and 'na-letter') are not
in

that list in the Printer MIB.

Often a device only knows the size, not the name of the media in its
trays.

<bigger>Printer MIB Appendix C has the ISO DPA media names:
'iso-a4-white' etc.  Printer MIB Appendix B has the ISO DPA media size
names: 

'iso-a4', etc, but the Printer MIB prtInputMediaName object

only refers to Appendix C.

</bigger>However, in IPP, we included media names and media sizes in the
"media"

attribute.  See IPP Appendix C.

ISSUE 1 for the Printer MIB:

Should we add to the Printer MIB specification that media size names from 

Appendix B can be used in addition to media names from Appendix C in the 

Printer MIB?

ISSUE 2 for the PWG Job Monitoring MIB:

Then the PWG Job Monitoring MIB would be able to use either media names

or media size names in its mediumConsumed attribute to get coherence 

between all three of our standards.

Or should we add to the PWG Job Monitoring MIB mediumConsumed a
reference

to IPP as well (as is done for mediumRequested) so that media size

names could be used in the Job Monitoring MIB, even if not in the

Printer MIB?

The current Printer MIB definition is:

<bigger>  prtInputMediaName OBJECT-TYPE

      SYNTAX     OCTET STRING (SIZE(0..63))

      MAX-ACCESS read-write

      STATUS     current

      DESCRIPTION

          "A description of the media contained in this input sub-

           unit; This description is intended for display to a

           human operator. This description is not processed by the

           printer.  It is used to provide information not

           expressible in terms of the other media attributes (e.g.

           prtInputMediaDimFeedDirChosen,

           prtInputMediaDimXFeedDirChosen, prtInputMediaWeight,

           prtInputMediaType). An example would be 'legal tender

           bond paper'."

      REFERENCE

           "See Appendix C, 'Media Names'."

      ::= { prtInputEntry 12 }

The current PWG Job Monitoring MIB specifications for

"mediumRequested" and mediumConsumed" are:

mediumRequested(170),	JmMediumTypeTC

	AND/OR

	JmJobStringTC (SIZE(0..63))

INTEGER:  MULTI-ROW:  The type 

AND/OR

OCTETS:  MULTI-ROW:  the name of the medium that is required by the 
job.

NOTE - The name (JmJobStringTC) values correspond to the
prtInputMediaName object in the Printer MIB [print-mib] and the values of
the IPP 'media' attribute.

mediumConsumed(171),	Integer32 (-2..2147483647)

	AND

	JmJobStringTC (SIZE(0..63))

INTEGER:  MULTI-ROW:  The number of sheets 

AND 

OCTETS:  MULTI-ROW:  the name of the medium that has been consumed so far
whether those sheets have been processed on one side or on both.  

This attribute SHALL have both Integer32 and OCTET STRING (represented as
 JmJobStringTC) values.

NOTE - The name (JmJobStringTC) values correspond to the name values of
the prtInputMediaName object in the Printer MIB [print-mib].

The current IPP "media" description is:

4.2.11 media (type4 keyword | name(MAX))

This attribute identifies the medium that the Printer uses for all
impressions of the Job.

The values for "media" include medium-names, medium-sizes, input-trays
and electronic forms so that one attribute specifies the media. If a
Printer object supports a medium name as a value of this attribute, such
a medium name implicitly selects an input-tray that contains the
specified medium.  If a Printer object supports a medium size as a value
of this attribute, such a medium size implicitly selects a medium name
that in turn implicitly selects an input-tray that contains the medium
with the specified size.  If a Printer object supports an input-tray as
the value of this attribute, such an input-tray implicitly selects the
medium that is in that input-tray at the time the job prints.  This case
includes manual-feed input-trays.  If a Printer object supports an
electronic form as the value of this attribute, such an electronic form
implicitly selects a medium-name that in turn implicitly selects an
input-tray that contains the medium specified by the electronic form. The
electronic form also implicitly selects an image that the Printer SHALL
merge with the document data as its prints each page.

Standard values are (taken from ISO DPA and the Printer MIB) and are
listed in section 14. An administrator MAY define additional values using
the 'name' or 'keyword' attribute syntax, depending on implementation.

There is also an additional Printer attribute named "media-ready" which
differs from "media-supported" in that legal values only include the
subset of "media-supported" values that are physically loaded and ready
for printing with no operator intervention required.  If an IPP object
supports "media-supported", it NEED NOT support "media-ready".

The relationship of this attribute and the other attributes that control
document processing is described in section 15.5.

</bigger>

---

From: "Larry Masinter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 22:11:36 PDT

For what it is worth, the document draft-ietf-connect-media-features-00.txt
attempts
to use the 'printer mib' for the proper enumeration of paper sizes. If you think
it's better to set paper size in terms of actual sizes rather than an
enumeration,
we should track it in media features.

Larry
--
http://www.parc.xerox.com/masinter

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Tom Hastings
Sent: Monday, April 06, 1998 5:17 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: IPP> Alignment of media consumed in Printer MIB & Job MIB with IPP to
allow media size names

Currently, the names for media sizes ('iso-a4' and 'na-letter') are not in
that list in the Printer MIB.

Often a device only knows the size, not the name of the media in its trays.

Printer MIB Appendix C has the ISO DPA media names: 'iso-a4-white' etc. Printer
MIB Appendix B has the ISO DPA media size names:
'iso-a4', etc, but the Printer MIB prtInputMediaName object
only refers to Appendix C.

However, in IPP, we included media names and media sizes in the "media"
attribute. See IPP Appendix C.

Or should we add to the PWG Job Monitoring MIB mediumConsumed a reference
to IPP as well (as is done for mediumRequested) so that media size
names could be used in the Job Monitoring MIB, even if not in the
Printer MIB?

prtInputMediaName OBJECT-TYPE

mediumRequested(170), JmMediumTypeTC
AND/OR
JmJobStringTC (SIZE(0..63))
INTEGER: MULTI-ROW: The type
AND/OR
OCTETS: MULTI-ROW: the name of the medium that is required by the job.

NOTE - The name (JmJobStringTC) values correspond to the prtInputMediaName
object in the Printer MIB [print-mib] and the values of the IPP 'media'
attribute.

mediumConsumed(171), Integer32 (-2..2147483647)
AND
JmJobStringTC (SIZE(0..63))
INTEGER: MULTI-ROW: The number of sheets
AND
OCTETS: MULTI-ROW: the name of the medium that has been consumed so far whether
those sheets have been processed on one side or on both.

NOTE - The name (JmJobStringTC) values correspond to the name values of the
prtInputMediaName object in the Printer MIB [print-mib].

This attribute identifies the medium that the Printer uses for all impressions
of the Job.

The values for "media" include medium-names, medium-sizes, input-trays and
electronic forms so that one attribute specifies the media. If a Printer object
supports a medium name as a value of this attribute, such a medium name
implicitly selects an input-tray that contains the specified medium. If a
Printer object supports a medium size as a value of this attribute, such a
medium size implicitly selects a medium name that in turn implicitly selects an
input-tray that contains the medium with the specified size. If a Printer object
supports an input-tray as the value of this attribute, such an input-tray
implicitly selects the medium that is in that input-tray at the time the job
prints. This case includes manual-feed input-trays. If a Printer object supports
an electronic form as the value of this attribute, such an electronic form
implicitly selects a medium-name that in turn implicitly selects an input-tray
that contains the medium specified by the electronic form. The electronic form
also implicitly selects an image that the Printer SHALL merge with the document
data as its prints each page.

Standard values are (taken from ISO DPA and the Printer MIB) and are listed in
section 14. An administrator MAY define additional values using the 'name' or
'keyword' attribute syntax, depending on implementation.

There is also an additional Printer attribute named "media-ready" which differs
from "media-supported" in that legal values only include the subset of
"media-supported" values that are physically loaded and ready for printing with
no operator intervention required. If an IPP object supports "media-supported",
it NEED NOT support "media-ready".

---

From: "Larry Masinter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 22:11:36 PDT

Larry

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Tom Hastings
Sent: Monday, April 06, 1998 5:17 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: IPP> Alignment of media consumed in Printer MIB & Job MIB with IPP to
allow media size names

---

From: "Larry Masinter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 22:11:36 PDT

Larry

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Tom Hastings
Sent: Monday, April 06, 1998 5:17 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: IPP> Alignment of media consumed in Printer MIB & Job MIB with IPP to
allow media size names

---

From: "Larry Masinter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 22:11:36 PDT

Larry

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Tom Hastings
Sent: Monday, April 06, 1998 5:17 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: IPP> Alignment of media consumed in Printer MIB & Job MIB with IPP to
allow media size names

---

From: "Larry Masinter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 22:11:36 PDT

Larry

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Tom Hastings
Sent: Monday, April 06, 1998 5:17 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: IPP> Alignment of media consumed in Printer MIB & Job MIB with IPP to
allow media size names

---

From: "Larry Masinter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 22:11:36 PDT

Larry

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Tom Hastings
Sent: Monday, April 06, 1998 5:17 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: IPP> Alignment of media consumed in Printer MIB & Job MIB with IPP to
allow media size names