Subject: IPP> TES: binary files

From: "Carl Kugler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 13:34:28 -0700

Steve Gebert and I have put up 

    ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_TES/Traces/00012A00.trc

and 

    ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_TES/Traces/00012B00.trc

with Peter's help.  These are a Print-Job request and response.

Here is a dump of 00012A00.trc:
50 4F 53 54 20 2F 73 65   72 76 6C 65 74 2F 49 50      POST /se rvlet/IP
50 53 65 72 76 6C 65 74   20 48 54 54 50 2F 31 2E      PServlet  HTTP/1.
31 0D 0A 48 6F 73 74 3A   20 6C 6F 63 61 6C 68 6F      1..Host:  localho
73 74 0D 0A 41 63 63 65   70 74 3A 20 61 70 70 6C      st..Acce pt: appl
69 63 61 74 69 6F 6E 2F   69 70 70 20 0D 0A 43 6F      ication/ ipp ..Co
6E 74 65 6E 74 2D 74 79   70 65 3A 20 61 70 70 6C      ntent-ty pe: appl
69 63 61 74 69 6F 6E 2F   69 70 70 0D 0A 43 6F 6E      ication/ ipp..Con
74 65 6E 74 2D 6C 65 6E   67 74 68 3A 20 32 32 34      tent-len gth: 224
0D 0A 0D 0A 01 00 00 02   01 47 00 12 61 74 74 72      ....☺  ☻ ☺G ↕attr
69 62 75 74 65 73 2D 63   68 61 72 73 65 74 00 08      ibutes-c harset .
55 53 2D 41 53 43 49 49   48 00 1B 61 74 74 72 69      US-ASCII H ←attri
62 75 74 65 73 2D 6E 61   74 75 72 61 6C 2D 6C 61      butes-na tural-la
6E 67 75 61 67 65 00 05   65 6E 2D 55 53 42 00 08      nguage ♣ en-USB .
6A 6F 62 2D 6E 61 6D 65   00 04 6A 6F 62 31 22 00      job-name  ♦job1"
16 69 70 70 2D 61 74 74   72 69 62 75 74 65 2D 66      ▬ipp-att ribute-f
69 64 65 6C 69 74 79 00   01 00 42 00 14 72 65 71      idelity  ☺ B ¶req
75 65 73 74 69 6E 67 2D   75 73 65 72 2D 6E 61 6D      uesting- user-nam
65 00 05 73 74 65 76 65   42 00 0D 64 6F 63 75 6D      e ♣steve B .docum
65 6E 74 2D 6E 61 6D 65   00 09 64 6F 63 75 6D 65      ent-name  .docume
6E 74 31 02 21 00 06 63   6F 70 69 65 73 00 01 01      nt1☻! ♠c opies ☺☺
21 00 0C 6A 6F 62 2D 70   72 69 6F 72 69 74 79 00      ! ♀job-p riority
01 01 42 00 08 4A 6F 62   2D 6E 61 6D 65 00 02 79      ☺☺B .Job -name ☻y
6F 03 31 31                                             o♥11

and here of 00012B00.trc
48 54 54 50 2F 31 2E 30   20 32 30 30 20 4F 4B 0D      HTTP/1.0  200 OK.
0A 53 65 72 76 65 72 3A   20 53 65 72 76 6C 65 74      .Server:  Servlet
53 65 72 76 65 72 2F 31   2E 30 0D 0A 43 6F 6E 74      Server/1 .0..Cont
65 6E 74 2D 54 79 70 65   3A 20 61 70 70 6C 69 63      ent-Type : applic
61 74 69 6F 6E 2F 69 70   70 0D 0A 44 61 74 65 3A      ation/ip p..Date:
20 4D 6F 6E 2C 20 30 38   20 44 65 63 20 31 39 39       Mon, 08  Dec 199
37 20 31 37 3A 35 30 3A   32 38 20 47 4D 54 0D 0A      7 17:50: 28 GMT..
0D 0A 01 00 00 00 02 42   00 08 6A 6F 62 2D 6E 61      ..☺   ☻B  .job-na
6D 65 00 04 4A 6F 62 31   42 00 09 6A 6F 62 2D 73      me ♦Job1 B .job-s
74 61 74 65 00 04 4A 6F   62 31 42 00 00 00 04 4A      tate ♦Jo b1B   ♦J
6F 62 32 42 00 11 6A 6F   62 2D 73 74 61 74 65 2D      ob2B ◄jo b-state-
72 65 61 73 6F 6E 73 00   04 4A 6F 62 31 42 00 11      reasons  ♦Job1B ◄
6A 6F 62 2D 73 74 61 74   65 2D 6D 65 73 73 61 67      job-stat e-messag
65 00 02 59 4F 05 41 00   05 73 69 64 65 73 00 0B      e ☻YO♣A  ♣sides ♂
75 6E 73 75 70 70 6F 72   74 65 64 03                  unsuppor ted♥

IPP> RE: TES:binary files
Zehler,Peter ([email-masked])
Tue, 9 Dec 1997 06:35:41 PST 

a.. Messages sorted by: [ date ][ thread ][ subject ][ author ] 
    b.. Next message: Jay Martin: "Re: IPP> A free IPP test suite to be available!" 
    c.. Previous message: Carl-Uno Manros: "RE: IPP> Re: Area Directors' comments on IPP" 
    Steve,
Even when we test across the internet we will still need to capture
the results. I am all for anything that will help us move along. 
I have created a directory called "Traces" under the new_TES
directory for the time being. We can decide on a directory structure at
a later time. I assume that we will capture traces in more than one
form. 
We need to decide on a naming convention. For this purpose I assume
that we will limit each trace file to a single request or response. The
naming convention should provide for the pairing of the request to its
response. The naming convention should facilitate the capturing of an
extended IPP conversation. A conversation is a sequence of IPP
operations on an IPP printer. 
We need to designate the session, operation, request|response, and
sequence in the conversation. A suggestion would be "SSSSOR##.trc"
where
SSSS: an arbitrary unique sequence identifier. The identifier 
would be unique within the "Traces" directory.
O: The operation of the request/response. This is the 
hexadecimal value of the IPP operation enum.
R: Designates request or response. A=request
B=response.
##: sequence number of the operation in the IPP conversation.
We will also need to catalogue the contents of the directory. This
can be accomplished by a pdf file containing a table with relevant
information. I can keep this up to date if contributors send me the
information. I think some concise description of the objective/purpose
of the IPP conversation would be appropriate. 

I found that putting up an IPP emulator through an ISV is trivial. The
emulator is the front end of my IPP printer. I have this anyway since
small printers do not have very rich debug environments.

I think we need to know if there is any interest in pursuing binary
trace files. Do any other individuals have any feelings on this?

What do you think?
Pete
__________________________________ 
Email: [email-masked]
US Mail: Peter Zehler
Xerox Corp.
800 Phillips Rd.
Webster NY, 14580-9701
Voice: (716) 265-8755
FAX: (716)265-8792
__________________________________ 
"I always wanted to be somebody, 
but I should have been more specific." 
Lily Tomlin
__________________________________ 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Steve Gebert [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Monday, December 08, 1997 3:39 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: 
> 
> For interoperability testing, we were wondering if people were
> interested in
> exchanging binary files
> corresponding to IPP Requests and Responses. The parties using these
> files
> would simply need to
> construct a simple program to feed the file data into their server
> or client
> and read data from their
> server or client into a file.
> 
> These files could be sent as email attachments and for the near term
> help
> with interoperability testing
> prior to people setting up machines outside filewalls. Perhaps we
> could even
> catalog the files and
> make them available for download so that there would be a common
> test
> baseline for early testing.
> 
> We could make some example files available if there is any
> interest. What do
> you think Peter?
> 
> 
> Steve Gebert

a.. Next message: Jay Martin: "Re: IPP> A free IPP test suite to be available!" 
    b.. Previous message: Carl-Uno Manros: "RE: IPP> Re: Area Directors' comments on IPP"