Subject: IPP> ADM - Now we know what is holding up TLS

From: Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 11:37:05 PDT

All,

Daniel Manchala has been following the thread of blames to its source.
FYI, here is a reply to Daniel from the editor of the PKIX document.

It looks like things will be moving in the next few weeks, and I sincerely
hope that the IESG will process the PKIX spec more quickly than the IPP
ones, when they get the text from the security guys.

Carl-Uno

----

>Daniel,
>
>You are absolutely correct - the PKIX profile is holding up the progression
>of TLS, which is holding up the progression of IPP. We are acutely aware of
>this, and hope to break the logjam shortly.  The area director, Jeff
>Schiller, is actively working some difficult intellectual property issues.
>When they are resolved, the "final" PKIX draft will go to the list.  We
>expect to forward it to the IESG very quickly after that.
>
>The group had a choice - strip some encumbered technology from the
>specification and go to Last Call, or resolve the patent issues and go to
>Last Call.  Jeff was directly involved in the decision to pursue the patent
>issues and delay Last Call. If the patent issues are not resolved
>satisfactorily in the next week, I believe we will go to "Plan B" - strip
>encumbered technology and go to Last Call.
>
>I currently have two versions - with and without the encumbered technology
>- of the profile ready to go.  When I get the word, we'll hit the ground
>running.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Tim Polk

---

Carl-Uno Manros
Principal Engineer - Advanced Printing Standards - Xerox Corporation
701 S. Aviation Blvd., El Segundo, CA, M/S: ESAE-231
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: [email-masked]