Subject: IPP> Implementation question re.: chunking

From: "Carl Kugler" <[email-masked]>
Date: 24 Jul 1998 16:51:43 -0000

draft-ietf-ipp-protocol-06.txt says the client and server MUST support the "chunked" transfer encoding when receiving.  My question is:  Can we count on this?  I.e., if our client always transmits requests using the "chunked" transfer encoding, will we be able to interoperate with the vast majority of IPP server implementations?

    -Carl

---

From: Randy Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 10:05:26 -0700

At 04:51 PM 7/24/98 +0000, you wrote:
>draft-ietf-ipp-protocol-06.txt says the client and server MUST support the
"chunked" transfer encoding when receiving.  My question is:  Can we count
on this?  I.e., if our client always transmits requests using the "chunked"
transfer encoding, will we be able to interoperate with the vast majority
of IPP server implementations?
>    -Carl

There are no vast majority of IPP server implementations (yet). I think the
only worry is if someone plans to deploy IPP behind a generic web server
that doesn't support chunking. However, Apache and most other of the more
popular HTTP/1.1 servers will support this. It should definitely be a
bullet item (checkoff item) at the upcoming bake-off, however.

Randy