Subject: IPP> Re: Fw: compression

From: Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 16:50:36 PDT

For your information, Keith Moore, Applications Area Director, has just
finished reviewing the Internet Printing Protocol (IPP) drafts for RFC
publication.

One of his recommendations is to change the SHOULD statement for use of TLS
in IPP to a SHALL. Implementors of IPP are not thrilled. How can we
reference a non-existing standard document, and who will provide
implementations? 

This again raises the question - WHAT IS HAPPENING TO TLS! WHERE IS IT?

In the IETF DC Meeting in December we were told that TLS is now stable and
was becoming an RFC on the IETF Standards Track shortly.

We heard the same thing again in April in LA. 

Now we have June, and I have so far failed to see any RFCs or even any
mention on this DL when they might materialize. 

Is somebody working on this at all? Who has the ball? Is it a secret or what?

Regards,

Carl-Uno Manros
Chair IETF IPP WG
Carl-Uno Manros
Principal Engineer - Advanced Printing Standards - Xerox Corporation
701 S. Aviation Blvd., El Segundo, CA, M/S: ESAE-231
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: [email-masked]