Subject: IPP>MOD job-k-octets-supported issue

From: [email-masked] (Robert Herriot)
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 19:59:57 -0800

Am I correct in assuming that if a client includes job-k-octets, it behaves
like other job-template attributes, namely (the model document is silent)

  a) fidelity is true: if job-k-octets-supported is undefined in the 
     printer or job-k-octets is out of range, reject the job and
     return job-k-octets in the unsupported-job-attributes group.

  b) fidelity is false: the job is accepted regardless of the value
     of job-k-octets or the presence or absence of
     job-k-octets-supported, but if the job-k-octets-supported is
     undefined in the printer or job-k-octets is out of range, return
     job-k-octets in the unsupported-job-attributes group.

This behavior is perhaps a bit surprising in the fidelity = false case,
because the job-k-octets-supported is intended to be a way for a printer
to control the sizes allowed.

So this means that someone with a really big job can bypass the job-size
limit by setting fidelity = false.

It would seem that job-k-octets and the other two related attributes don't
really follow the rules of other job-template attributes.

Comments?

Bob Herriot

---

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 07:54:24 PST

Hmmm... You have a good point here.

I think this means that "job-k-octets", "job-impressions", and
"job-media-sheets" should be moved from the Job Template group and become:

OPTIONAL (for clients to submit and Printers to support) operation attributes 
with corresponding OPTIONAL Job Description attributes
(same as "job-name", except that "job-name" is MANDATORY).

and the corresponding "job-k-octets-supported",
"job-impressions-supported", and "job-media-sheets-supported" would become
Printer Description attributes.
(There aren't any "xxx-default" for these three).

NOTE that such a change has almost no effect on implementations, except
that these three attributes are submitted in the Operation attributes group, 
instead of the Job Template attributes group (and their processing is
handled without regards to ipp-attribute-fidelity, as Bob points out).

Tom