Subject: JMP> Internet-Draft for Job Submission Protocol Mapping

From: Ron Bergman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 08:25:51 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)

This is a submission of the latest Internet-Draft of a companion document
to the Job Monitoring MIB that provides a mapping of Job Submission
Protocols to the Job MIB:

       Title     : Job Submission Protocol Mapping Recommendations for
                   the Job Monitoring MIB                         
       Author(s) : R. Bergman
       Filename  : draft-ietf-printmib-job-protomap-03.txt
       Pages     : 23
       Date      : February 10, 1998

The Abstract is:

     This Internet-Draft defines the recommended mapping for many
     currently popular Job submission protocols to objects and
     attributes the Job Monitoring MIB.

	Thank you,
	Ron Bergman
	For the printmib WG

--------------------------------------------

INTERNET-DRAFT                                               Ron Bergman
                                                      Dataproducts Corp.
                                                       February 10, 1998

             Job Submission Protocol Mapping Recommendations
                       for the Job Monitoring MIB

               <draft-ietf-printmib-job-protomap-03.txt>

                        Expires August 10, 1998

Status of this Memo

     This document is an Internet-Draft.  Internet-Drafts are working
     documents of the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF), its areas,
     and its working groups.  Note that other groups may also distribute
     working documents as Internet-Drafts.

     Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six
     months and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other
     documents at any time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts
     as reference material or to cite them other than as "work in
     progress".

     To learn the current status of any Internet-Draft, please check the
     "1id-abstracts.txt" listing contained in the Internet-Drafts Shadow
     Directories on ftp.is.co.za (Africa), nic.nordu.net (Europe),
     munnari.oz.au (Pacific Rim), ds.internic.net (US East Coast), or
     ftp.isi.edu (US West Coast).

                                Abstract

     This Internet-Draft defines the recommended mapping for many
     currently popular Job submission protocols to objects and
     attributes in the Job Monitoring MIB.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

1.0  INTRODUCTION......................................................3
2.0  LINE PRINTER DAEMON (LPR/LPD) PROTOCOL............................4
2.1  jmJobSubmissionID Mapped to LPR/LPD...............................4
2.2  jmJobIndex Mapped to LPR/LPD......................................5
2.3  Other MIB Objects Mapped to LPR/LPD...............................5
2.4  The Attribute Group Mapped to LPD.................................5

Bergman                                                         [page 1]

INTERNET-DRAFT       Job Submission Protocol Mapping        Feb 10, 1998

3.0  APPLETALK PROTOCOL................................................6
3.1  jmJobSubmissionID Mapped to AppleTalk.............................6
3.2  Other AppleTalk Mappings..........................................6
4.0  INTERNET PRINTING PROTOCOL (IPP)..................................6
4.1  jmJobSubmissionID Mapped to IPP...................................7
4.2  jmJobIndex Mapped to IPP..........................................7
4.3  Other MIB Objects Mapped to IPP...................................7
4.4  The Attribute Group Mapped to IPP.................................8
5.0  INTELLIGENT PRINTER DATA STREAM (IPDS)............................9
5.1  jmJobSubmissionId Mapped to IPDS..................................9
5.2  The Attribute Group Mapped to IPDS...............................10
6.0  DOCUMENT PRINTING APPLICATION (DPA)..............................10
6.1  jmJobSubmissionID Mapped to DPA..................................11
6.2  jmJobIndex Mapped to DPA.........................................11
6.3  Other MIB Objects Mapped to DPA..................................11
6.4  The Attribute Group Mapped to DPA................................12
7.0  NOVELL DISTRIBUTED PRINT SERVICE (NDPS)..........................13
7.1  jmJobSubmissionID Mapped to NDPS.................................13
7.2  jmJobIndex Mapped to NDPS........................................13
7.3  Other MIB Objects Mapped to NDPS.................................13
7.4  The Attribute Group Mapped to NDPS...............................14
8.0  PRINTER JOB LANGUAGE (PJL).......................................15
8.1  jmJobSubmissionID Mapped to PJL..................................16
8.2  jmJobIndex Mapped to PJL.........................................16
8.3  Other MIB Objects Mapped to PJL..................................16
8.4  The Attribute Group Mapped to PJL................................16
9.0  POSTSCRIPT.......................................................17
9.1  jmJobSubmissionID Mapped to PostScript...........................17
9.2  Other MIB Objects and Attributes Mapped to PostScript............17
10.0  NETWARE PSERVER.................................................17
10.1  jmJobSubmissionID Mapped to PServer.............................17
10.2  jmJobIndex Mapped to PServer....................................18
10.3  Other MIB Objects Mapped to PJL.................................18
10.4  The Attribute Group Mapped to PServer...........................18
11.0  NETWARE NPRINTER or RPRINTER....................................19
12.0  SERVER MESSAGE BLOCK (SMB) PROTOCOL.............................19
12.1  jmJobSubmissionID Mapped to SMB.................................19
12.2  jmJobIndex Mapped to SMB........................................19
12.3  Other MIB objects Mapped to SMB.................................20
13.0  TRANSPORT INDEPENDENT PRINTER/SYSTEM INTERFACE (TIP/SI).........20
13.1  jmJobSubmissionID Mapped to TIP/SI..............................20
13.2  jmJobIndex Mapped to TIP/SI.....................................20
13.3  Other MIB Objects Mapped to TIP/SI..............................21
13.4  The Attribute Group Mapped to TIP/SI............................21
14.0  REFERENCES......................................................21
15.0  AUTHORS.........................................................22

Bergman                     Informational                      [page 2]

INTERNET-DRAFT       Job Submission Protocol Mapping        Feb 10, 1998

1.0  INTRODUCTION

The Job Monitoring MIB [JobMIB] is intended to be implemented in a
device or server that supports any job submission protocol.  However,
the information available and the method of presentation varies
significantly by job submission protocol.  A common method of mapping
job submission information to the Job Monitoring MIB is essential for
interoperability of Job MIB agents and monitoring applications.  This
document defines recommended mappings for most popular job submission
protocols to insure this compatibility.

All mappings are unidirectional from the job submission protocol to the
MIB.  It is assumed that support of the job submission protocol in the
printer implies that the reverse information flow is presently defined
and does not require interaction from the MIB.  This mapping is not
defined in this document as it should be obvious.

This document refers to system configurations that are defined in the
Job Monitoring MIB [JobMIB].  For those readers that are familiar with
the configuration descriptions, a short summary appears here.  Please
see the Job MIB document for further details.

   Configuration 1:  This is a simple peer-to-peer system which contains
       only a client and a printer.  The Job MIB agent is resident in
       the printer.

   Configuration 2:  This system contains a client, server, and a
       printer.  The Jib MIB agent is resident in the server.

   Configuration 3:  This system, as in configuration 2, contains a
       client, server, and a printer.  In this case the Job MIB agent is
       implemented within the printer.

The most important object to be mapped is jmJobSubmissionID, since this
is a method for the user or client to determine the jmJobIndex for a
submitted job.  Therefore, jmJobSubmissionID is specified for all job
submission protocols defined in this document.  The remaining objects
mapped include only those items that have the equivalent information
presented to the printer by the job submission protocol.

While this document places a strong emphasis on jmJobSubmissionID
mapping to obtain jmJobIndex, the preferred method is through the use of
a bi-directional job submission protocol that returns the equivalent
value of jmJobIndex to the client, such as IPP.  When a bi-directional
protocol that returns jmJobIndex is in use, the jmJobSubmissionID object
has no value to the client.  When the jmJobIndex cannot be returned, the
use of a client defined jmJobSubmissionID is preferred over an agent
derived value.  The client defined version allows for retrieval of
jmJobIndex using a single SNMP Get operation, since jmJobSubmissionID is
the index into the jmJobIDTable.  An agent derived value will require a
search through multiple entries in the jmJobIDTable.

Bergman                     Informational                      [page 3]

INTERNET-DRAFT       Job Submission Protocol Mapping        Feb 10, 1998

The majority of the protocols mapped in this document are oriented
towards network job submission.  However, the Job Monitoring MIB is also
intended to monitor print jobs received from other than network ports,
such as parallel and serial ports.  Some of the job submission protocols
included that are used with non-networked ports are PJL, PostScript, and
TIP/SI.  In addition, the Job Monitoring MIB can be used with print jobs
that are internally generated, such as self test pages.  In this latter
case, no mapping is required since all job submission protocols are
bypassed.

2.0  LINE PRINTER DAEMON (LPR/LPD) PROTOCOL

The LPR/LPD printing protocol [LPD] is used with BSD UNIX systems in the
client-server-printer configuration.  Usage of the Job Monitoring MIB
with LPR/LPD will most likely conform to Configuration 3, where the
monitor application or the server uses SNMP to obtain job information
from the printer.  The client communicates with the UNIX server using
the existing LPD protocol to obtain job information.

The LPR/LPD protocol is also used in the Windows environment to
implement peer-to-peer printing, as shown in configuration 1.  In this
case, SNMP is used by the client and/or the monitor application to
obtain the job information.

One of the major problems of LPR/LPD is the large number of vendor
unique extensions currently used with the protocol and the resulting
compatibility issues between available implementations.  To avoid these
issues, this mapping of LPR/LPD is restricted to the protocol as defined
by RFC 1179.

The LPR/LPD protocol transfers print job data and control information in
separate files, known as the Data File and Control File, respectively.
Most of the information concerning the print job is contained in the
Control File.  In many LPD implementations, the Control File is
transferred following the Data File.  Thus much of the information
concerning the job may not be available until the completion of the data
transmission.

2.1  jmJobSubmissionID Mapped to LPR/LPD

The LPR/LPD Receive Data File command contains a parameter which defines
the name of the data file.  This name field is structured as follows:

        dfaXXX<host-name>  or  daXXXX<host-name>

Where XXX or XXXX is the numeric job number assigned by the network
entity submitting the print job to the printer.  The recommended mapping
of this name field to jmJobSubmissionID is:

Bergman                     Informational                      [page 4]

INTERNET-DRAFT       Job Submission Protocol Mapping        Feb 10, 1998

  octet 1:   '9'

  octets 2-40:  Contains the <host-name> portion of the name field.  If
                the <host-name> portion is less than 40 octets, the
                left-most character in the string shall appear in octet
                position 2.  Any unused portion of this field shall be
                filled with spaces.  Otherwise, only the last 39 bytes
                shall be included.

  octets 41-48:  '00000XXX' or '0000XXXX', where XXX or XXXX is the
                 decimal (ASCII coded) representation of the LPR/LPD
                 job number.

2.2  jmJobIndex Mapped to LPR/LPD

The job index (jmJobIndex) is assigned by the SNMP job monitoring agent
and is independent of the XXX (or XXXX) index assigned by the LPR/LPD
client.  This will allow the SNMP agent to track jobs received from
multiple sources.

2.3  Other MIB Objects Mapped to LPR/LPD

MIB Object                    | LPR/LPD Parameter
------------------------------+----------------------------------------
jmJobKOctetsPerCopyRequested  | Number of bytes as defined in the Data
                              |  File
jmJobOwner                    | Control file command code = P (User Id)

2.4  The Attribute Group Mapped to LPD

Other attributes that are applicable, but not defined in this section
such as attributes that map to a vendor unique extension, may also be
included.

MIB attribute         | LPR/LPD information             | Data type
----------------------+---------------------------------+--------------
jobName               | Job Name (notes 1, 2)           | Octet String
queueNameRequested    | Queue name from the Data File   | Octet String
fileName              | Source File Name (notes 1, 3)   | Octet String

 Notes:
 ------
  1. The information is optional in the Control File.  The attribute
     should be included if present in the Control File.
  2. Control file command code = J.  If this optional field is omitted
     from the control file, then the agent returns the file name
     (command code = N), if present.
  3. Control file command code = N.

Bergman                     Informational                      [page 5]

INTERNET-DRAFT       Job Submission Protocol Mapping        Feb 10, 1998

3.0  APPLETALK PROTOCOL

AppleTalk was originally developed as a peer-to-peer network protocol,
as described in configuration 1, for use with Apple Macintosh computers.
Today, print spoolers are also available for use with Macintosh computer
networks that conform to configurations 2/3.  In addition, printing with
the AppleTalk protocol is supported from both Windows NT servers and
Novell servers also per configurations 2/3.

The AppleTalk protocol provides very little information that can be used
with the Job Monitoring MIB.  The Macintosh print drivers are able to
provide information concerning the user and document name but imbed this
information in the PDL, which is typically PostScript.  The preferred
jmJobSubmissionID is constructed from the information in the PostScript
file, as defined in section 9.0.

3.1  jmJobSubmissionID Mapped to AppleTalk

An alternative jmJobSubmissionID may be constructed from the Connection
Identifier contained in the AppleTalk Printer Access Protocol (PAP)
header.  Since the Connection Id is not readily available in any of the
defined AppleTalk implementations, this approach may be of little
utility.

  octet 1:   'A'

  octets 2-40:  Contains the AppleTalk printer name, with the first
                character of the name in octet 2.  AppleTalk printer
                names are a maximum of 31 characters.  Any unused
                portion of this field shall be filled with spaces.

  octets 41-48:  '00000XXX', where 'XXX' is the decimal (ASCII coded)
                 representation of the Connection Id.

3.2  Other AppleTalk Mappings

No other Job MIB objects or parameters can be derived from information
available in the AppleTalk headers

4.0  INTERNET PRINTING PROTOCOL (IPP)

The Internet Printing Protocol [IPP] supports printing using any one of
the three possible configurations.  For configuration 2, the mapping
defined herein is performed on an agent within the server.  Otherwise,
the mapping is performed on an agent within the printer.

Bergman                     Informational                      [page 6]

INTERNET-DRAFT       Job Submission Protocol Mapping        Feb 10, 1998

4.1  jmJobSubmissionID Mapped to IPP

IPP contains a rich set of parameters which allow several methods of
creating the jmJobSubmissionID object.  To prevent interoperability
problems, the preferred method is to use the IPP job-uri attribute as
follows:

  octet 1:   '4'

  octets 2-40:  Contains the IPP job-uri job description attribute
                generated by the printer.  (The job-uri is returned to
                the client by IPP.)  If the job-uri is less than 40
                octets, the left-most character in the string shall
                appear in octet position 2.  Any unused portion of this
                field shall be filled with spaces.  Otherwise, only the
                last 39 bytes shall be included.

  octets 41-48:  Contains the decimal (ASCII coded) representation of
                 the job-id job description attribute.  Leading zeros
                 shall be inserted to fill the entire 8 octet field.

NOTE - Since IPP returns the "job-identifier" attribute with the
jmJobIndex value for a job when the job is submitted, the use of the
jmJobSubmissionID table should not be needed by a management
application.  See Section 1.0.

4.2  jmJobIndex Mapped to IPP

The job index (jmJobIndex) assigned by the SNMP job monitoring agent is
returned to the client by IPP as the job-id job description attribute.
(Since IPP does not require consecutively generated job-ids, the agent
may receive jobs from multiple clients and can assign jmJobIndex in an
ascending sequence independent of the submitting job client.)  The IPP
job-id must be restricted to the range of 1 to 99,999,999 (decimal) to
allow the value to be properly represented in jmJobSubmissionID.

4.3  Other MIB Objects Mapped to IPP

MIB Object                       | IPP Job attribute
---------------------------------+-----------------------------------
jmJobState                       | job-state
jmJobStateReasons1               | job-state-reasons (note 1)
jmNumberOfInterveningJobs        | number-of-intervening-jobs
jmJobKOctetsPerCopyRequested     | job-k-octets
jmJobKOctetsProcessed            | job-k-octets-processed
jmJobImpressionsPerCopyRequested | job-impressions
jmJobImpressionsCompleted        | job-impressions-completed
jmJobOwner                       | job-originating-user-name

Bergman                     Informational                      [page 7]

INTERNET-DRAFT       Job Submission Protocol Mapping        Feb 10, 1998

 Notes:
 ------
  1. jmJobStateReasons1 is a bit map which can describe up to 31 job
     state reasons.  Also the IPP "job-state-reasons" attribute is a
     multi-valued attribute with each value being a keyword.  The IPP
     condition may change multiple bits in this object.  The IPP "job-
     state-reasons" attribute may also change one or more of the
     jobStateReasonsN attributes (see section 4.4).

4.4  The Attribute Group Mapped to IPP

The following mappings are required if the listed IPP job template
attribute is provided.

MIB attribute              | IPP job attribute            | Data type
---------------------------+------------------------------+-------------
jobStateReasonsN(N=2, 3, 4)| job-state-reasons (note 3)   | Integer
jobCodedCharSet            | attributes-charset (note 1)  | Octet String
jobNaturalLanguageTag      | attributes-natural-language  | Octet String
jobURI                     | job-uri                      | Octet String
jobName                    | job-name                     | Octet String
physicalDevice             | output-device-assigned       | Octet String
numberOfDocuments          | number-of-documents          | Integer
jobPriority                | job-priority                 | Integer
jobHoldUntil               | job-hold-until               | Octet String
sides                      | sides (note 2)               | Integer
finishing                  | finishings                   | Integer
printQualityRequested      | print-quality                | Integer
printerResolutionRequested | printer-resolution           | Integer
jobCopiesRequested         | copies (note 4)              | Integer
documentCopiesRequested    | copies (note 4)              | Integer
jobCollationType           | multiple-document-handling   | Integer
sheetsRequested            | job-media-sheets             | Integer
sheetsCompleted            | job-media-sheets-completed   | Integer
mediumRequested            | media                        | Octet String
jobSubmissionTime          | time-at-submission           | Integer
jobStartedProcessingTime   | time-at-processing           | Integer
jobCompletionTime          | time-at-completed            | Integer

 Notes:
 ------
  1. jobCodedCharSet is an enum from the IANA registry which is also
     used in the Printer MIB.  The IPP attributes-charset is the name
     (MIME preferred name) of the character set.
  2. The Job MIB sides attribute uses the integer values "1" and "2".
     The IPP sides attribute uses three keywords.
  3. jobStateReasonsN are three attributes (N=2, 3, 4).  Also the IPP
     "job-state-reasons" attribute is a multi-valued attribute with each
     value being a keyword.  The IPP condition may change multiple bits
     in one or more of these Job MIB attributes.  See also

Bergman                     Informational                      [page 8]

INTERNET-DRAFT       Job Submission Protocol Mapping        Feb 10, 1998

     jmJobStateReasons1 in section 4.3.
  4. The IPP "copies" attribute maps to the Job MIB:
     (1) jobCopiesRequested when the job has only one document OR
         IPP "multiple-document-handling" is 'single-valued'
     (2) documentCopiesRequested, in which case the MIB value is the
         total number of document copies that the job will produce as a
         whole.

5.0  INTELLIGENT PRINTER DATA STREAM (IPDS)

The IPDS datastream facilitates a close relationship between the print
supervisor (Print Services Facility - PSF) and the printer.  There are
PSF applications for UNIX, Windows, OS/2, OS/400 and host operating
systems such as VM, MVS and VSE. Together, PSF and IPDS represent a
complete, mature and robust job management framework which includes font
and resource management, page progress tracking, job cancellation,
complete error recovery and end-user notification.  Because PSF and the
printer correspond via the use of locally assigned ID’s, there is a
limited amount of clear text information provided during submission for
use by the Job MIB.

5.1  jmJobSubmissionId Mapped to IPDS

For IPDS on the MVS or VSE platform:

  octet 1:   'E'

  octets 2-40:  Contains bytes 2-27 of the XOH Define Group Boundary
                Group ID triplet.  Octet position 2 must carry the value
                x'01'.  Bytes 28-40 must be filled with spaces.

  octets 41-48:  Contains a decimal (ASCII coded) representation of the
                 jmJobIndex assigned by the agent.  Leading zeros shall
                 be inserted to fill the entire 8 octet field.

For IPDS on the VM platform:

  octet 1:   'F'

  octets 2-40:  Contains bytes 2-31 of the XOH Define Group Boundary
                Group ID triplet.  Octet position 2 must carry the value
                x'02'.  Bytes 32-40 must be filled with spaces.

  octets 41-48:  Contains a decimal (ASCII coded) representation of the
                 jmJobIndex assigned by the agent.  Leading zeros shall
                 be inserted to fill the entire 8 octet field.

Bergman                     Informational                      [page 9]

INTERNET-DRAFT       Job Submission Protocol Mapping        Feb 10, 1998

For IPDS on the OS/400 platform:

  octet 1:   'G'

  octets 2-40:  Contains bytes 2-36 of the XOH Define Group Boundary
                Group ID triplet.  Octet position 2 must carry the value
                x'03'.  Bytes 37-40 must be filled with spaces.

  octets 41-48:  Contains a decimal (ASCII coded) representation of the
                 jmJobIndex assigned by the agent.  Leading zeros shall
                 be inserted to fill the entire 8 octet field.

5.2  The Attribute Group Mapped to IPDS

For MVS/VSE:

MIB attribute                     | IPDS XOH DGB Group ID | Data type
----------------------------------+-----------------------+-------------
jobSourcePlatformType sptMVS(7)   | Byte 2 = x'01'        | Integer
jobName                           | Bytes 4-11            | Octet String

For VM:

MIB attribute                     | IPDS XOH DGB Group ID | Data type
----------------------------------+-----------------------+-------------
jobSourcePlatformType sptVM(8)    | Byte 2 = x'02'        | Integer
fileName                          | Bytes 4-11            | Octet String

For OS/400:

MIB attribute                     | IPDS XOH DGB Group ID | Data type
----------------------------------+-----------------------+-------------
jobSourcePlatformType sptOS400(9) | byte 2 = x'03'        | Integer
fileName                          | Bytes 23-32           | Octet String
jobName                           | Bytes 37-46           | Octet String

6.0  DOCUMENT PRINTING APPLICATION (DPA)

The ISO 10175 Document Printing Application (DPA) [DPA] supports
printing using any one of the three possible configurations.  For
configuration 2, the mapping defined herein is performed on a server.
Otherwise, the mapping is performed on an agent within the printer.

Bergman                     Informational                      [page 10]

INTERNET-DRAFT       Job Submission Protocol Mapping        Feb 10, 1998

6.1  jmJobSubmissionID Mapped to DPA

DPA contains a rich set of parameters which allow several methods of
creating the jmJobSubmissionID object.  To prevent interoperability
problems, the preferred method is to use the DPA job-owner attribute as
follows:

  octet 1:   '0'

  octets 2-40:  Contains the DPA job-owner attribute supplied by the
                submitter.  If the job-owner is less than 40 octets, the
                left-most character in the string shall appear in octet
                position 2.  Any unused portion of this field shall be
                filled with spaces.  Otherwise, only the last 39 bytes
                shall be included.

  octets 41-48:  Contains an 8-digit sequential decimal number.

6.2  jmJobIndex Mapped to DPA

The job index (jmJobIndex) assigned by the SNMP job monitoring agent is
returned to the client by DPA as a decimal digit string as the value of
the DPA job-identifier attribute.  (Since DPA does not require
consecutively generated job-identifiers, the agent may receive jobs from
multiple clients and can assign the jmJobIndex in an ascending sequence
independent of the submitting job client.)  The DPA job-identifier must
be restricted to the range of 1 to 99,999,999 (decimal) to allow the
value to be properly represented in jmJobSubmissionID.

NOTE - Since DPA returns the "job-identifier" attribute with the
jmJobIndex value for a job when the job is submitted, the use of the
jmJobSubmissionID table should not be needed by a management
application.  See Section 1.0.

6.3  Other MIB Objects Mapped to DPA

MIB Object                       | DPA Job attribute
---------------------------------+------------------------------------
jmJobState                       | job-state
jmJobStateReasons1               | job-state-reasons (note 2)
jmNumberOfInterveningJobs        | intervening-jobs
jmJobKOctetsPerCopyRequested     | total-job-octets (notes 1, 3)
jmJobKOctetsProcessed            | job-octets-completed (note 1)
jmJobImpressionsPerCopyRequested | job-impression-count (note 3)
jmJobImpressionsCompleted        | impressions-completed
jmJobOwner                       | job-owner

 Notes:
 ------
  1. jmJobKOctetsPerCopyRequested and jmJobKOctetsProcessed is in K

Bergman                     Informational                      [page 11]

INTERNET-DRAFT       Job Submission Protocol Mapping        Feb 10, 1998

     octets while the DPA job-total-octets and job-octets-completed is
     in octets and is 63-bits of significance.
  2. jmJobStateReasons1 is a bit map which can describe up to 31 job
     state reasons.  Also the DPA "job-state-reasons" attribute is a
     multi-valued attribute with each value being an object identifier
     (OID).  The DPA condition may change multiple bits in this object.
     The DPA condition may also change one or more of the
     jobStateReasonsN attributes (see section 4.4)
  3. DPA octets include the multiplication factor due to job and
     document copies, while the MIB values do not.

6.4  The Attribute Group Mapped to DPA

The following mappings are required if the listed DPA job attribute is
provided.

MIB attribute              | DPA job attribute            |IPP Data type
---------------------------+------------------------------+-------------
jobStateReasonsN(N=2, 3, 4)| job-state-reasons (note 2)   | Integer
jobCodedCharSet            | (note 1)                     | Octet String
jobAccountName             | accounting-information       | Octet String
jobName                    | job-name                     | Octet String
deviceNameRequested        | printer-name-requested       | Octet String
physicalDevice             | printers-assigned            | Octet String
numberOfDocuments          | number-of-documents          | Integer
fileName                   | file-name                    | Octet String
documentName               | document-name                | Octet String
jobComment                 | job-comment                  | Octet String
documentFormat             | document-format              | Octet String
jobPriority                | job-priority                 | Integer
jobProcessAfterDateAndTime | job-print-after              | Octet String
outputBin                  | results-profile.output-bin   | Octet String
sides                      | sides (note 3)               | Integer
finishing                  | job-finishing, finishing     | Integer
printQualityRequested      | print-quality                | Integer
printerResolutionRequested | default-printer-resolution   | Integer
                           |  (note 4)                    |
jobCopiesRequested         | results-profile.job-copies   | Integer
jobCopiesCompleted         | job-copies-completed         | Integer
documentCopiesRequested    | copy-count (note 5)          | Integer
documentCopiesCompleted    | copies-completed (note 6)    | Integer
sheetsRequested            | job-media-sheet-count        | Integer
sheetsCompleted            | job-media-sheets-completed   | Integer
pagesRequested             | job-page-count               | Integer
pagesCompleted             | pages-completed              | Integer
mediumRequested            | page-media-select,           | Octet String
                           |  default-medium              |
jobSubmissionTime          | submission-time (note 7)     | Octet String
jobStartedProcessingTime   | started-printing-time (note 7) Octet String
jobCompletionTime          | completion-time (note 7)     | Octet String

Bergman                     Informational                      [page 12]

INTERNET-DRAFT       Job Submission Protocol Mapping        Feb 10, 1998

 Notes:
 ------
  1. Every DPA attribute is tagged indicating the coded character set
     to be used for that attribute.
  2. jobStateReasonsN are three attributes (N=2, 3, 4).  The DPA
     condition may change one or more of the bits in one or more of
     these Job MIB items.  Also the DPA job-state-reasons is a multi-
     valued attribute with each value being an OBJECT IDENTIFIER (OID).
  3. The Job MIB sides attribute is an integer '1' or '2' while the DPA
     sides attribute has one of six OID values that includes plex.
  4. printerResolutionRequested has x and y resolution and is intended
     to override the resolution instruction in the document, if any,
     while the DPA default-printer-resolution is the same in x and y and
     only takes effect if the document does not contain a resolution
     instruction
  5. The DPA "copy-count" attribute is a per-document attribute, so the
     MIB value is the sum of the documents' "copy-count" values times
     the job's "results-profile.job-copies" value.
  6. The DPA "copies-completed" attribute is a per-document attribute,
     so the MIB value is the sum of the documents' "copies-completed"
     values times the job's "results-profile.job-copies" value.
  7. The DPA GeneratlizedTime data type is defined by ISO 8824
     (ISO-8824) while the MIB DateAndTime is defined by SNMPv2-TC
     (SNMPv2-TC).

7.0  NOVELL DISTRIBUTED PRINT SERVICE (NDPS)

Novell Distributed Print Services is a DPA based job submission protocol
that conforms to configuration 3.

7.1  jmJobSubmissionID Mapped to NDPS

NDPS supports the generation of a properly formatted jmJobSubmissionID
for use in the Job MIB, via the attribute ndps-att-job-identifier.

7.2  jmJobIndex Mapped to NDPS

NDPS defines the attribute ndps-att-job-identifier-on-printer that can
be used to return the value of jmJobIndex to the NDPS client. See
Section 1.0.

7.3  Other MIB Objects Mapped to NDPS

MIB Object                       | NDPS Parameter
---------------------------------+--------------------------------------
jmJobState                       | ndps-att-current-job-state (note 1)
jmJobStateReasons1               | ndps-att-job-state-reasons (note 2)

Bergman                     Informational                      [page 13]

INTERNET-DRAFT       Job Submission Protocol Mapping        Feb 10, 1998

jmNumberOfInterveningJobs        | ndps-att-intervening-jobs
jmJobKOctetsPerCopyRequested     | ndps-att-total-job-octets (notes 3,4)
jmJobKOctetsProcessed            | ndps-att-octets-completed (note 3)
jmJobImpressionsPerCopyRequested | ndps-att-job-impressions-count
jmJobImpressionsCompleted        | ndps-att-impressions-completed
jmJobOwner                       | ndps-att-job-owner (note 5)

 Notes:
 ------
  1. Some of the NDPS job states must be represented by both a
     jmJobState and a jmJobStateReasons1 object or a jobStateReasonsN
     attribute (N=2, 3, 4).
  2. The NDPS job state reasons may be mapped to either the object
     jmJobStateReasons1 or the attribute jobStateReasonsN (N=2, 3, 4).
  3. jmJobKOctetsPerCopyRequested and jmJobKOctetsProcessed is in K
     octets while the NDPS ndps-att-job-total-octets and
     ndps-att-job-octets-completed is in octets and is 63-bits of
     significance.
  4. NDPS octets include the multiplication factor due to job and
     document copies, while the MIB values do not.
  5. The Job MIB object must be multiplied by the attribute
     jobCopiesRequested to obtain the NDPS attribute value, if multiple
     copies have been requested.

7.4  The Attribute Group Mapped to NDPS

The following mappings are required if the listed PJL attribute or
command option is provided.

MIB attribute              | NDPS parameter               | Data type
---------------------------+------------------------------+-------------
jobStateReasonsN(N=2, 3, 4)| ndps-job-state-reasons       | Integer
jobAccountName             | ndps-att-job-owner           | Octet String
jobName                    | ndps-att-job-name            | Octet String
jobOriginatingHost         | ndps-att-job-originator      | Octet String
deviceNameRequested        | ndps-att-printer-name--      | Octet String
                           |  requested                   |
numberOfDocuments          | ndps-att-number-of-documents | Integer
fileName                   | ndps-att-document-file-name  | Octet String
documentName               | ndps-att-document-name       | Octet String
jobComment                 | ndps-att-job-comment         | Octet String
documentFormatIndex        | ndps-att-prtInterpreterIndex | Integer
documentFormat             | ndps-att-document-format     | Integer
jobPriority                | ndps-att-job-priority        | Integer
jobProcessAfterDateAndTime | ndps-att-job-print-after     | Octet String
outputBin                  | ndps-att-results-profile     | Integer
                           |  (note 1)                    |
sides                      | ndps-att-sides (note 2)      | Integer
finishing                  | ndps-att-job-finishing       | Integer
printQualityRequested      | ndps-att-print-quality       | Integer

Bergman                     Informational                      [page 14]

INTERNET-DRAFT       Job Submission Protocol Mapping        Feb 10, 1998

printerResolutionRequested | ndps-att-default-printer--   |
                           |  resolution (note 3)         | Integer
printerResolutionUsed      | ndps-att-default-resolutions--
                           |  used                        | Integer
jobCopiesRequested         | ndps-att-results-profile     | Integer
                           |  (note 4)                    |
jobCopiesCompleted         | ndps-att-job-copies-completed| Integer
documentCopiesRequested    | ndps-att-copy-count (note 5) | Integer
documentCopiesCompleted    | ndps-att-copies-completed    | Integer
                           |  (note 6)                    |
sheetsRequested            | ndps-att-job-media--         |
                           |  sheet-count                 | Integer
sheetsCompleted            | ndps-att-media-sheets--      |
                           |  completed                   | Integer
mediumConsumed             | ndps-att-media-used          | Integer
jobSubmissionToServerTime  | ndps-att-submission-time     | Octet String
                           |  (note 7)                    |
jobSubmissionTime          | ndps-att-started-printing-time Octet String
                           |  (note 7)                    |
jobCompletionTime          | ndps-att-completion-time     | Octet String
                           |  (note 7)                    |

 Notes:
 ------
  1. The output-bin field in ndps-att-results-profile is to be used.
  2. The Job MIB sides attribute is an integer '1' or '2' while the NDPS
     sides attribute has one of six OID values that includes plex.
  3. printerResolutionRequested has x and y resolution and is intended
     to override the resolution instruction in the document, if any,
     while the ndps-att-default-printer-resolution is the same in x and
     y and only takes effect if the document does not contain a
     resolution instruction
  4. The job-copies field in ndps-att-results-profile is to be used.
  5. The NDPS "copy-count" attribute is a per-document attribute, so the
     MIB value is the sum of the documents' "copy-count" values times
     the job's "results-profile.job-copies" value.
  6. The NDPS "copies-completed" attribute is a per-document attribute,
     so the MIB value is the sum of the documents' "copies-completed"
     values times the job's "results-profile.job-copies" value.
  7. The NDPS GeneratlizedTime data type is defined by ISO 8824
     (ISO-8824) while the MIB DateAndTime is defined by SNMPv2-TC
     (SNMPv2-TC).

8.0  PRINTER JOB LANGUAGE (PJL)

PJL [PJL] has been developed by Hewlett-Packard to provide job control
information to the printer and status information to applications,
independent of the PDL.

Bergman                     Informational                      [page 15]

INTERNET-DRAFT       Job Submission Protocol Mapping        Feb 10, 1998

8.1  jmJobSubmissionID Mapped to PJL

PJL has defined the SUBMISSIONID option for the JOB command which
indicates a properly formatted jmJobSubmissionID for use in the Job MIB.
The PJL JOB command is presented at the start of a print job with
options that apply only the attached job.  The syntax for this command
option is:

      @PJL JOB SUBMISSIONID = "id string"

Driver software that implements this PJL command option must provide the
"id string" in one of the client version formats specified in the Job
MIB for jmJobSubmissionID.

For drivers that are not able to create the SUBMISSIONID option, it is
recommended that jmJobSubmissionID format 0 be created by the agent
using the PJL attribute DocOwner or DocOwnerId.

  octet 1:   '0'

  octets 2-40:  Contains the string associated with DocOwner or
                DocOwnerId.  If the string is less than 40 octets, the
                left-most character in the string shall appear in octet
                position 2.  Otherwise, only the last 39 bytes shall be
                included.  Any unused portion of this field shall be
                filled with spaces.  If DocOwner or DocOwnerId cannot be
                obtained, this field shall be blank.

  octets 41-48:  Contains the value of jmJobIndex associated with the
                 job.  Leading zeros shall be inserted to fill the
                 entire 8 octet field.

8.2  jmJobIndex Mapped to PJL

PJL does not provide a value that can be mapped to jmJobIndex.

8.3  Other MIB Objects Mapped to PJL

MIB Object            | PJL Job attribute
----------------------+------------------------------------
jobOwner              | DocOwner or DocOwnerId attribute

8.4  The Attribute Group Mapped to PJL

The following mappings are required if the listed PJL attribute or
command option is provided.

Bergman                     Informational                      [page 16]

INTERNET-DRAFT       Job Submission Protocol Mapping        Feb 10, 1998

MIB attribute         | PJL attribute or command option  | Data type
----------------------+----------------------------------+--------------
serverAssignedJobName | DocName attribute or the command | Octet String
                      |  @PJL JOB Name = "string"        | Octet String
submittingServerName  | SrcServerName attribute          | Octet String
jobOriginatingHost    | SrcPort attribute                | Octet String
queueNameRequested    | SrcQ attribute                   | Octet String
fileName              | JobFName attribute               | Octet String
jobComment            | JobDesc attribute                | Octet String
jobSubmissionTime     | TimeSubmit attribute             | Octet String

9.0  POSTSCRIPT

The PostScript PDL permits comment fields which can be used by
application drivers to include job information.  Although there are no
restrictions or requirements as to what information may be included,
many drivers include job owner and/or document name.

9.1  jmJobSubmissionID Mapped to PostScript

The use of a standard format job submission id comment string will allow
interoperability of printers and drivers from multiple vendors.  The
following comment string format is recommended for use with PostScript
level 1 and level 2 data streams.

     %%JMPJobSubmissionId:(id-string)

where "id string" can be any jmJobSubmissionID format reserved for
clients.

9.2  Other MIB Objects and Attributes Mapped to PostScript

No Other mappings from PostScript comment strings are recommended, but
many Job MIB objects and attributes can be defined using vendor unique
comment strings.

10.0  NETWARE PSERVER

The NetWare PServer job submission protocol is implemented in a client-
server-printer system on the server to printer link as defined in
configuration 3.

10.1  jmJobSubmissionID Mapped to PServer

  octet 1:   'B'

Bergman                     Informational                      [page 17]

INTERNET-DRAFT       Job Submission Protocol Mapping        Feb 10, 1998

  octets 2-40:  Contains the Directory Path Name of the agent as
                recorded by the Novell File Server in the queue
                directory.  If the string is less than 40 octets, the
                left-most character in the string shall appear in octet
                position 2.  Otherwise, only the last 39 bytes shall be
                included.  Any unused portion of this field shall be
                filled with spaces.

  octets 41-48:  '000XXXXX'  The decimal (ASCII coded) representation of
                 the Job Number as per the NetWare File Server Queue
                 Management Services.

10.2  jmJobIndex Mapped to PServer

The job index (jmJobIndex) is assigned by the SNMP job monitoring agent
and is independent of the Job Number assigned by the NetWare File Server
Queue Management Services.  This will allow the SNMP agent to track jobs
received from multiple sources.

10.3  Other MIB Objects Mapped to PJL

MIB Object            | PServer Job attribute
----------------------+--------------------------------------------
jobOwner              | Client Id Number

10.4  The Attribute Group Mapped to PServer

The following mappings are required if the listed PServer parameter is
provided in the Novell File Server queue directory.

MIB attribute              | PServer parameter           | Data type
---------------------------+-----------------------------+--------------
serverAssignedJobName      | Job File Name               | Octet String
queueNameRequested         | Queue Id                    | Integer
physicalDevice             | Server Id Number            | Integer
jobComment                 | Job Description             | Octet String
jobPriority                | (note 1)                    | Integer
jobProcessAfterDateAndTime | Target Execution Time       | Octet String
jobCopiesRequested         | Number of Copies            | Integer
mediumRequested            | Form Name                   | Octet String
jobSubmissionToServerTime  | Job Entry Time              | Octet String

Notes:
------
 1. The job priority is determined by the priority assigned to the queue
    that contains the job.  Each queue can be assigned a unique priority
    and the priority of the job is inherited from the queue.

Bergman                     Informational                      [page 18]

INTERNET-DRAFT       Job Submission Protocol Mapping        Feb 10, 1998

11.0  NETWARE NPRINTER or RPRINTER

The NetWare NPrinter/RPrinter protocol was designed to transfer print
data from a Novell File Server to a printer attached directly to a local
port (e.g. parallel or serial) on a PC.  NPrinter/RPrinter is an
extremely lightweight printing protocol.  Consequently, no information
required by the Job Monitoring MIB is provided and a meaningful
jmJobSubmissionID cannot be generated.

It is recommended that an additional job submission layer, such as PJL
or another vendor private protocol,  be included on top of
NPrinter/RPrinter to provide the required information.  The mapping
should then be performed according to the recommendations of the higher
layer submission protocol.

12.0  SERVER MESSAGE BLOCK (SMB) PROTOCOL

The Server Message Block protocol is used with several PC Network
operating systems, such as Microsoft Windows for Workgroups, IBM LAN
Server, and Artisoft Lantastic.  SMB systems supporting the Job
Monitoring MIB will conform to either configuration 1 or 3.

12.1  jmJobSubmissionID Mapped to SMB

  octet 1:   'C'

  octets 2-40:  Contains a decimal (ASCII coded) representation of the
                16 bit SMB Tree Id field, which uniquely identifies the
                connection that submitted the job to the printer.  The
                most significant digit of the numeric string shall be
                placed in octet position 2.  All unused portions of this
                field shall be filled with spaces.  The SMB Tree Id has
                a maximum value of 65,535.

  octets 41-48:  Contains a decimal (ASCII coded) representation of the
                 File Handle returned from the printer agent to the
                 client in response to a Create Print File command.
                 Leading zeros shall be inserted to fill the entire 8
                 octet field.

12.2  jmJobIndex Mapped to SMB

It is strongly recommended that the File Handle returned from the
printer agent be identical to jmJobIndex.  If these items are identical,
there is no need for the client application to perform a search on

Bergman                     Informational                      [page 19]

INTERNET-DRAFT       Job Submission Protocol Mapping        Feb 10, 1998

jmJobSubmissionID.  To be compatible with the 16 bit field allocated to
this value by SMB, the maximum jmJobIndex is 65,535.

12.3  Other MIB objects Mapped to SMB

MIB Object      | SMB Parameter
----------------+------------------------------------------------
jmJobOwner      | SMB User Id field (note 1)

Notes:
------
 1. A decimal (ASCII coded) representation of the SMB User Id numeric
    shall be presented as jmJobOwner.

13.0  TRANSPORT INDEPENDENT PRINTER/SYSTEM INTERFACE (TIP/SI)

The TIP/SI protocol, although currently specified as a part of the IEEE
1284 parallel port standards [TIP/SI], was originally developed as a
network protocol.  TIP/SI thus has the potential of being integrated
into any network or non-network configuration.

13.1  jmJobSubmissionID Mapped to TIP/SI

  octet 1:   'D'

  octets 2-40:  Contains the Job Name from the Job Control-Start Job
                (JC-SJ) command.  If the Job Name portion is less than
                40 octets, the left-most character in the string shall
                appear in octet position 2.  Any unused portion of this
                field shall be filled with spaces.  Otherwise, only the
                last 39 bytes shall be included.

  octets 41-48:  Contains a decimal (ASCII coded) representation of the
                 jmJobIndex assigned by the agent.  Leading zeros shall
                 be inserted to fill the entire 8 octet field.

13.2  jmJobIndex Mapped to TIP/SI

jmJobIndex is returned to the client as the Printer Assigned Job Id in a
Job Control-Start Job (JC-SJ) response packet.  To be compatible with
the 16 bit field allocated to this value by TIP/SI, the maximum
jmJobIndex is 65,535.

Bergman                     Informational                      [page 20]

INTERNET-DRAFT       Job Submission Protocol Mapping        Feb 10, 1998

13.3  Other MIB Objects Mapped to TIP/SI

MIB Object             | TIP/SI Parameter
-----------------------+------------------------------------------------
jmJobOwner             | User string

13.4  The Attribute Group Mapped to TIP/SI

MIB attribute         | TIP/SI information              | Data type
----------------------+---------------------------------+--------------
jobName               | Job Name string                 | Octet String
jobComment            | Additional Information string   | Octet String

14.0  REFERENCES

[DPA]  ISO/IEC 10175-1:1996(E), "Information technology - Text and
office systems - Document Printing Application (DPA) - Part 1: Abstract
service definition and procedures", JTC1/SC18.

[IPP]  The Internet Printing Protocol RFC XXXX, Model RFC XXXX

[ISO-8824]  ISO/IEC 8824:1990, "Information technology - Open Systems
Interconnection - Specification of Abstract Syntax Notation (ASN.1)".

[JobMIB]  The Job Monitoring MIB, work in progress, <draft-ietf-
printmib-job-monitoring-07.txt>, to be published as an Informational RFC
as a Printer Working Group (PWG) standard.

[LPD]  Line Printer Daemon Protocol, RFC 1179, IETF informational
document.

[PJL]  Printer Job Language Technical Reference Manual, Hewlett-Packard
part number 5021-0328.

[PrtMIB]  The Printer MIB, RFC 1759, IETF standards track document.

[SNMPv2-TC]  Case, J., McCloghrie, K., Rose, M., Waldbusser, S.,
"Textual Conventions for Version 2 of the Simple Network Management
Protocol (SNMPv2), RFC 1903, January 1996.

[TIP/SI]  IEEE Standard 1284.1, Transport Independent Printer/System
Interface.

Bergman                     Informational                      [page 21]

INTERNET-DRAFT       Job Submission Protocol Mapping        Feb 10, 1998

15.0  AUTHORS

This document was created with significant contributions from the
following individuals.

    Ron Bergman (Editor)
    Dataproducts Corp.
    1757 Tapo Canyon Road
    Simi Valley, CA 93063-3394

    Phone: 805-578-4421
    Fax:  805-578-4001
    Email: [email-masked]

    Tom Hastings
    Xerox Corporation, ESAE-231
    701 S. Aviation Blvd.
    El Segundo, CA   90245

    Phone: 310-333-6413
    Fax:   310-333-5514
    EMail: [email-masked]

    Scott A. Isaacson
    Novell, Inc.
    122 E 1700 S
    Provo, UT   84606

    Phone: 801-861-7366
    Fax:   801-861-4025
    EMail: [email-masked]

    Harry Lewis
    IBM Corporation
    6300 Diagonal Hwy
    Boulder, CO 80301

    Phone: (303) 924-5337
    Fax:   (303) 924-4662
    Email: [email-masked]

    Bob Pentecost
    Hewlett-Packard Corporation
    11311 Chinden Boulevard
    Boise, ID 83714

Bergman                     Informational                      [page 22]

INTERNET-DRAFT       Job Submission Protocol Mapping        Feb 10, 1998

    Phone: (208) 396-3312
    Fax:   (208) 396-4122
    Email: [email-masked]

    Send comments to the printmib WG using the Job Monitoring Project
    (JMP) Mailing List:  [email-masked]

    For further information, access the PWG web page under "JMP":
    http://www.pwg.org/

Other Participants:

    Chuck Adams - Tektronix
    Keith Carter - IBM Corporation
    Angelo Caruso - Xerox
    Jeff Copeland - QMS
    Andy Davidson - Tektronix
    Mabry Dozier - QMS
    Lee Ferrel - Canon
    David Kellerman - Northlake Software
    Rick Landau - Digital
    Jay Martin - Underscore
    Ira McDonald - Xerox
    Stuart Rowley - Kyocera
    Bob Setterbo - Adobe
    Gail Songer - EFI
    Mike Timperman - Lexmark
    William Wagner - DPI/Osicom
    Chris Wellens - Interworking Labs
    Rob Whittle - Novell
    Don Wright - Lexmark
    Lloyd Young - Lexmark

Bergman                     Informational                      [page 23]