Subject: IPP> MOD - new 971219 model document posted

From: Scott Isaacson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 01:24:48 -0700

All,

I have posted a new model document at:

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_MOD/ipp-model-971219.pdf
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_MOD/ipp-model-971219-ref.pdf
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_MOD/draft-ietf-ipp-model-08.txt
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_MOD/ipp-model-971219.doc

MANY thanks to Tom for his editing help.  Also, an apology to Tom for
not getting in his latest IANA considerations section.

I will be sending the posted TXT doc to the IETF Internet-Drafts account.

Here is a summary of the changes from since 971107 (the rev version is
against 971101) which was the doc issued just prior to the WG final call.

1. Added a new Introduction that gives a better roadmap of not only the
model document, but all of the IPP documents.

2. Split Get-Attributes into Get-Job-Attributes and Get-Printer-Attributes

3. Added a new MANDATORY Request ID to each Request and Response

4. Clarified the description of each of the attribute groups

5. Added length constraints for all 'text' and 'name' attribute.  Overall,
the MAX for 'text' and 'name' went from 4096 to 1024

6. Removed all references to HTTP/1.1 (except for referencing IPP-PRO and
examples)

7. Made the target attribute ("printer-uri" for Printer etc) a MANDATORY
operation attribute

8. Added -default and generated- and -configured as decided in LA

9.  Clarified natural language acceptance rules and Natural Language
Override rules

10. Client SHOULD NOT send invalid combo of charset and natural language
(Printer will accept)

11. Clarified that "status-message" is an OPTIONAL operation attribute

12. Generally made strict rules on what a sender sends and forgiving rules
on what a receiver receives.

13. Removed 3.1.5 and moved it all to section 8

14. Made version rules more practical

15. Encoding rules and order of first bytes in application/ipp is NOT
ALLOWED to change (this is op, version, and request id).  This will remain
consistent across all versions

16. Made compression, job-k-octets, job-media-sheets, and job-impressions
operation attributes.  Aligned these with Job MIB

17.  Clarified Unsupported Attributes group in responses and made it
possible for ALL operations to return unsupported attributes

18. Added 'no-value' out-of-band value and made better rules for 'unknown'

19. Added 'textWithLanguage' and 'nameWithLanguage'

20. Removed "copies-collated-*"

21. Made priority default apply at submission time

22. Clarified that page ranges are ascending, non-overlapping

23. Removed '0' for n-up

24. "media-ready" is OPTIONAL

25. Added an ALL new security section (TLS vs non-TLS, Printers OPTOINALLY
support TLS, clients SHOULD support TLS, added "printer-tls-uri", etc.)

26. Defined categories for text and name attributes (catagorized by source
of value client vs Printer vs operator vs admin vs vendor etc)  Placed name
and text attributes in each catagory.  Gave better rules for which supported
and which defaults apply to which categories

27. Fixed up rules for 'requeting-user-name" vs authentication service name
and which is which and who each applies to "job-originating-user"

28. Provided a TLS ciphersuite profile for IPP

29. Added 'not-accepting-jobs' error code

30.  All new 15.3 and 15.4 sections on suggested steps for validating
operations

---

From: "Turner, Randy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 00:58:56 -0800

I thought the wording for client support of TLS was MUST
and not SHOULD? 

Randy

> -----Original Message-----
> From:	Scott Isaacson [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent:	Saturday, December 20, 1997 12:25 AM
> To:	[email-masked]
> Subject:	IPP> MOD - new 971219 model document posted
> 
> All,
>