Subject: JMP> Job Submission Protocol Mapping update

From: Ron Bergman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 13:38:28 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)

Here is the text for the latest Job Submission Protocol mapping document
for everyone to review.  The text for NDPS has been added and is now only
missing IPDS.  (I was not able to format the document with the proper page
breaks, so the table of contents may not be very useful.)  Some additional
changes were also made to the DPA section, see below.

Tom,

This version contains the NDPS changes per the discussions with Devon Taylor.  
As a result of these discussions I have changed the DPA mapping section 6.4 
as follows:

 1. Replacing jobHoldUntil with jobProcessAfterDateAndTime.
 
 2. Deleting note 3 from the jobProcessAfterDataAndTime.

 3. Renumbering all notes from 4 to 6.

In reviewing the notes I do not believe that note 5 (was 6) is applicable.  
This note is mapping the DPA attribute to IPP.

Also, as a result of the discussions, it seems that the NDPS sections and 
DPA sections should be very close.  Could review the differences and 
determine if any further changes should be made to either protocol mapping?

	Ron Bergman
	Dataproducts Corp.

INTERNET-DRAFT                                              Ron Bergman
                                                      Dataproducts Corp.
                                                       January 12, 1998

             Job Submission Protocol Mapping Recommendations
                       for the Job Monitoring MIB

              <draft-bergman-printmib-job-protomap-00.txt>

                         Expires July 12, 1998

Status of this Memo

     This document is an Internet-Draft.  Internet-Drafts are working
     documents of the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF), its areas,
     and its working groups.  Note that other groups may also distribute
     working documents as Internet-Drafts.

     Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six
     months and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other
     documents at any time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts
     as reference material or to cite them other than as "work in
     progress".

     To learn the current status of any Internet-Draft, please check the
     "1id-abstracts.txt" listing contained in the Internet-Drafts Shadow
     Directories on ftp.is.co.za (Africa), nic.nordu.net (Europe),
     munnari.oz.au (Pacific Rim), ds.internic.net (US East Coast), or
     ftp.isi.edu (US West Coast).

                                Abstract

     This Internet-Draft defines the recommended mapping for many 
     currently popular Job submission protocols to objects and 
     attributes the Job Monitoring MIB.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

1.0  INTRODUCTION	                        3
2.0  LINE PRINTER DAEMON (LPR/LPD) PROTOCOL	4
2.1  jmJobSubmissionId Mapped to LPR/LPD	4
2.2  jmJobIndex Mapped to LPR/LPD	5
2.3  Other MIB Objects Mapped to LPR/LPD	5
2.4  The Attribute Group Mapped to LPD	5
3.0  APPLETALK PROTOCOL	6
3.1  jmJobSubmissionId Mapped to AppleTalk	6
3.2  Other AppleTalk Mappings	6
4.0  INTERNET PRINTING PROTOCOL (IPP)	6
4.1  jmJobSubmissionId Mapped to IPP	7
4.2  jmJobIndex Mapped to IPP	7
4.3  Other MIB Objects Mapped to IPP	7
4.4  The Attribute Group Mapped to IPP	8
5.0  INTELLIGENT PRINTER DATA STREAM (IPDS)	8
6.0  DOCUMENT PRINTING APPLICATION (DPA)	8
6.1  jmJobSubmissionId Mapped to DPA	9
6.2  jmJobIndex Mapped to DPA	9
6.3  Other MIB Objects Mapped to DPA	9
6.4  The Attribute Group Mapped to DPA	10
7.0  NOVELL DISTRIBUTED PRINT SERVICE (NDPS)	11
7.1  jmJobSubmissionId Mapped to NDPS	11
7.2  jmJobIndex Mapped to NDPS	11
7.3  Other MIB Objects Mapped to NDPS	11
7.4  The Attribute Group Mapped to NDPS	11
8.0  PRINTER JOB LANGUAGE (PJL)	13
8.1  jmJobSubmissionId Mapped to PJL	13
8.2  jmJobIndex Mapped to PJL	13
8.3  The Attribute Group Mapped to PJL	13
9.0  POSTSCRIPT	14
9.1  jmJobSubmissionId Mapped to PostScript	14
9.2  Other MIB Objects and Attributes Mapped to PostScript	14
10.0  NETWARE PSERVER	14
10.1  jmJobSubmissionId Mapped to PServer	14
10.2  jmJobIndex Mapped to PServer	15
10.3  The Attribute Group Mapped to PServer	15
11.0  NETWARE NPRINTER or RPRINTER	15
12.0  SERVER MESSAGE BLOCK (SMB) PROTOCOL	16
12.1  jmJobSubmissionId Mapped to SMB	16
12.2  jmJobIndex Mapped to SMB	16
12.3  Other MIB objects Mapped to SMB	16
13.0  TRANSPORT INDEPENDENT PRINTER/SYSTEM INTERFACE (TIP/SI)	17
13.1  jmJobSubmissionId Mapped to TIP/SI	17
13.2  jmJobIndex Mapped to TIP/SI	17
13.3  Other MIB Objects Mapped to TIP/SI	17
13.4  The Attribute Group Mapped to TIP/SI	17
14.0  REFERENCES	18
15.0  AUTHORS	18

1.0  INTRODUCTION

The Job Monitoring MIB [JobMIB] is intended to be implemented in a 
device or server that supports any job submission protocol.  However, 
the information available and the method of presentation varies 
significantly by job submission protocol.  A common method of mapping 
job submission information to the Job Monitoring MIB is essential for 
interoperability of Job MIB agents and monitoring applications.  This 
document defines recommended mappings for most popular job submission 
protocols to insure this compatibility.

All mappings are unidirectional from the job submission protocol to the 
MIB.  It is assumed that support of the job submission protocol in the 
printer implies that the reverse information flow is presently defined 
and does not require interaction from the MIB.  This mapping is not 
defined in this document as it should be obvious.

This document refers to system configurations that are defined in the 
Job Monitoring MIB [JobMIB].  For those readers that are familiar with 
the configuration descriptions, a short summary appears here.  Please 
see the Job MIB document for further details.

   Configuration 1:  This is a simple peer-to-peer system which contains
       only a client and a printer.  The Job MIB agent is resident in 
       the printer.

   Configuration 2:  This system contains a client, server, and a
       printer.  The Jib MIB agent is resident in the server.

   Configuration 3:  This system, as in configuration 2, contains a 
       client, server, and a printer.  In this case the Job MIB agent is 
       implemented within the printer.

The most important object to be mapped is jmJobSubmissionId, since this 
is a method for the user or client to determine the jmJobIndex for a 
submitted job.  Therefore, jmJobSubmissionId is specified for all job 
submission protocols defined in this document.  The remaining objects 
mapped include only those items that have the equivalent information 
presented to the printer by the job submission protocol.

While this document places a strong emphasis on jmJobSubmissionId 
mapping to obtain jmJobIndex, the preferred method is through the use of 
a bidirectional protocol that returns the value of jmJobIndex to the 
client, such as IPP.  When a bidirectional protocol that returns 
jmJobIndex is in use, the jmJobSubmissionId object has no value to the 
client.  When the jmJobIndex cannot be returned, the use of a client 
defined jmJobSubmissionId is preferred over an agent derived value.  The 
client defined version allows for retrieval of jmJobIndex using a single 
SNMP Get operation, since jmJobSubmissionId is the index into the 
jmJobId table.  An agent derived value will require a search through 
multiple entries in the jmJobId table.

The majority of the protocols mapped in this document are oriented 
towards network job submission.  However, the Job Monitoring MIB is also 
intended to monitor print jobs received from other than network ports, 
such as parallel and serial ports.  Some of the job submission protocols 
included that are used with non-networked ports are PJL, PostScript, and 
TIP/SI.  In addition, the Job Monitoring MIB can be used with print jobs 
that are internally generated, such as self test pages.  In this latter 
case, no mapping is required since all job submission protocols are 
bypassed.

2.0  LINE PRINTER DAEMON (LPR/LPD) PROTOCOL

The LPR/LPD printing protocol [LPD] is used with BSD Unix systems in the 
client-server-printer configuration.  Usage of the Job Monitoring MIB 
with LPR/LPD will most likely conform to Configuration 3, where the 
monitor application or the server uses SNMP to obtain job information 
from the printer.  The client communicates with the Unix server using 
the existing LPD protocol to obtain job information.

The LPR/LPD protocol is also used in the Windows environment to 
implement peer-to-peer printing, as shown in configuration 1.  In this 
case, SNMP is used by the client and/or the monitor application to 
obtain the job information.

One of the major problems of LPR/LPD is the large number of vendor 
unique extensions currently used with the protocol and the resulting 
compatibility issues between available implementations.  To avoid these 
issues, this mapping of LPR/LPD is restricted to the protocol as defined 
by RFC 1179.

The LPR/LPD protocol transfers print job data and control information in 
separate files, known as the Data File and Control File, respectively.  
Most of the information concerning the print job is contained in the 
Control File.  In many LPD implementations, the Control File is 
transferred following the Data File.  Thus much of the information 
concerning the job may not be available until the completion of the data 
transmission.

2.1  jmJobSubmissionId Mapped to LPR/LPD

The LPR/LPD Receive Data File command contains a parameter which defines 
the name of the data file.  This name field is structured as follows:

        dfaXXX<host-name>  or  daXXXX<host-name>

Where XXX or XXXX is the numeric job number assigned by the LPR/LPD 
client submitting the print job.  The recommended mapping of this name 
field to jmJobSubmissionId is:

  octet 1:   '9'

  octets 2-40:  Contains the <host-name> portion of the name field.  If 
                the <host-name> portion is less than 40 octets, the 
                left-most character in the string shall appear in octet 
                position 2.  Any unused portion of this field shall be 
                filled with spaces.  Otherwise, only the last 39 bytes 
                shall be included.

  octets 41-48:  '00000XXX' or '0000XXXX', where XXX or XXXX is the 
                 decimal (ASCII coded) representation of the LPR/LPD 
                 job number.

2.2  jmJobIndex Mapped to LPR/LPD

The job index (jmJobIndex) is assigned by the SNMP job monitoring agent 
and is independent of the XXX (or XXXX) index assigned by the LPR/LPD 
client.  This will allow the SNMP agent to track jobs received from 
multiple sources.

2.3  Other MIB Objects Mapped to LPR/LPD

MIB Object             | LPR/LPD Parameter
-----------------------+------------------------------------------------
jmJobKOctetsRequested  | Number of bytes as defined in the Data File
jmJobOwner             | Control file command code = P (User Id)

2.4  The Attribute Group Mapped to LPD

Other attributes that are applicable, but not defined in this section 
such as attributes that map to a vendor unique extension, may also be 
included.

MIB attribute         | LPR/LPD information             | Data type
----------------------+---------------------------------+--------------
jobName               | Name of the data file (note 1)  | Octet String 
queueNameRequested    | Queue name from the Data File   | Octet String
fileName              | Source File Name (notes 2, 3)   | Octet String
documentName          | Document title (notes 2, 4)     | Octet String

 Notes:
 ------
  1. See section 2.1 (jmJobSubmissionId).
  2. The information is optional in the Control File.  The attribute
     should be included if present in the Control File.
  3. Control file command code = N.
  4. Control file command code = J.

3.0  APPLETALK PROTOCOL

AppleTalk was originally developed as a peer-to-peer network protocol, 
as described in configuration 1, for use with Apple Macintosh computers.  
Today, print spoolers are also available for use with Macintosh computer 
networks that conform to configurations 2/3.  In addition, printing with 
the AppleTalk protocol is supported from both Windows NT servers and 
Novell servers also per configurations 2/3.

The AppleTalk protocol provides very little information that can be used 
with the Job Monitoring MIB.  The Macintosh print drivers are able to 
provide information concerning the user and document name but imbed this 
information in the PDL, which is typically PostScript.  The preferred 
jmJobSubmissionId is constructed from the information in the PostScript 
file, as defined in section 9.0.  

3.1  jmJobSubmissionId Mapped to AppleTalk

An alternative jmJobSubmissionId may be constructed from the Connection 
Identifier contained in the AppleTalk Printer Access Protocol (PAP) 
header.  Since the Connection Id is not readily available in any of the 
defined AppleTalk implementations, this approach may be of little 
utility.

  octet 1:   'A'

  octets 2-40:  Contains the AppleTalk printer name, with the first
                character of the name in octet 2.  AppleTalk printer
                names are a maximum of 31 characters.  Any unused 
                portion of this field shall be filled with spaces.  

  octets 41-48:  '00000XXX', where 'XXX' is the decimal (ASCII coded)
                 representation of the Connection Id.

3.2  Other AppleTalk Mappings

No other Job MIB objects or parameters can be derived from information 
available in the AppleTalk headers

4.0  INTERNET PRINTING PROTOCOL (IPP)

The Internet Printing Protocol [IPP] supports printing using any one of 
the three possible configurations.  For configuration 2, the mapping 
defined herein is performed on an agent within the server.  Otherwise, 
the mapping is performed on an agent within the printer.

4.1  jmJobSubmissionId Mapped to IPP

IPP contains a rich set of parameters which allow several methods of 
creating the jmJobSubmissionId object.  To prevent interoperability 
problems, the preferred method is to use the IPP job-uri attribute as 
follows:

  octet 1:   '4'

  octets 2-40:  Contains the IPP job-uri job description attribute 
                generated by the printer.  (The job-uri is returned to 
                the client by IPP.)  If the job-uri is less than 40 
                octets, the left-most character in the string shall 
                appear in octet position 2.  Any unused portion of this 
                field shall be filled with spaces.  Otherwise, only the 
                last 39 bytes shall be included.

  octets 41-48:  Contains the decimal (ASCII coded) representation of 
                 the job-id job template attribute.  Leading zeros shall 
                 be inserted to fill the entire 8 octet field.

4.2  jmJobIndex Mapped to IPP

The job index (jmJobIndex) assigned by the SNMP job monitoring agent is 
returned to the client by IPP as the job-id job description attribute.  
(Since IPP does not require consecutively generated job-ids, the agent 
may receive jobs from multiple clients and can assign jmJobIndex in an 
ascending sequence independent of the submitting job client.)  The IPP 
job-id must be restricted to the range of 1 to 99,999,999 (decimal) to 
allow the value to be properly represented in jmJobSubmissionId.

4.3  Other MIB Objects Mapped to IPP

MIB Object                | IPP Job attribute
--------------------------+---------------------------------------------
jmJobOwner                | job-originating-user
jmJobKOctetsRequested     | job-k-octets
jmJobKOctetsProcessed     | job-k-octets-processed
jmJobImpressionsRequested | job-impressions
jmJobImpressionsProcessed | job-impressions-completed
jmJobStateReasons1        | job-state-reasons (note 1)
jmNumberOfInterveningJobs | number-of-intervening-jobs

 Notes:
 ------
  1. JobStateReasons is a bit map described in one object and three 
     attributes.  The IPP condition may change one or more of the bits 
     in one or more of these Job MIB items.

4.4  The Attribute Group Mapped to IPP

The following mappings are required if the listed IPP job template 
attribute is provided.

MIB attribute              | IPP job attribute            | Data type
---------------------------+------------------------------+-------------
jobCodedCharSet            | attributes-charset (note 1)  | Octet String
jobNaturalLanguage         | attributes-natural-language  | Octet String
jobName                    | job-name                     | Octet String
documentFormat             | document-format              | Octet String
jobPriority                | job-priority                 | Integer
jobHoldUntil               | job-hold-until               | Octet String
sides                      | sides (note 2)               | Integer
finishing                  | finishings                   | Integer
printQualityRequested      | print-quality                | Integer
printerResolutionRequested | printer-resolution           | Integer
jobCopiesRequested         | copies                       | Integer
mediumRequested            | media                        | Octet String
jobSubmissionTime          | time-at-submission           | Integer
jobStartedProcessingTime   | time-at-processing           | Integer
jobCompletionTime          | time-at-completed            | Integer
sheetsRequested            | job-media-sheets             | Integer
jobURI                     | job-uri                      | Octet String
jobStateReasonsN           | job-state-reasons (note 3)   | Integer
physicalDevice             | output-device-assigned       | Octet String
sheetsCompleted            | job-media-sheets-completed   | Integer

 Notes:
 ------
  1. jobCodedCharSet is an enum from the IANA registry which is also 
     used in the Printer MIB.  The IPP attributes-charset is the name 
     (MIME preferred) of the character set.
  2. The Job MIB sides attribute uses the integer values "1" and "2".
     The IPP sides attribute uses three keywords.
  3. jobStateReasons is a bit map described in one object and three 
     attributes.  The IPP condition may change one or more of the bits 
     in one or more of these Job MIB items.

5.0  INTELLIGENT PRINTER DATA STREAM (IPDS)

6.0  DOCUMENT PRINTING APPLICATION (DPA)

The ISO 10175 Document Printing Application [DPA] supports printing 
using any one of the three possible configurations.  For configuration 
2, the mapping defined herein is performed on a server.  Otherwise, the 
mapping is performed on an agent within the printer.

6.1  jmJobSubmissionId Mapped to DPA

DPA contains a rich set of parameters which allow several methods of 
creating the jmJobSubmissionId object.  To prevent interoperability 
problems, the preferred method is to use the DPA job-originating-user 
attribute as follows:

  octet 1:   '0'

  octets 2-40:  Contains the DPA job-owner attribute 
                supplied by the submitter.  If the job-owner 
                is less than 40 octets, the left-most character in the 
                string shall appear in octet position 2.  Any unused 
                portion of this field shall be filled with spaces.  
                Otherwise, only the last 39 bytes shall be included.

  octets 41-48:  Contains an 8-digit sequential decimal number.

6.2  jmJobIndex Mapped to DPA

The job index (jmJobIndex) assigned by the SNMP job monitoring agent is 
returned to the client by DPA as a decimal digit string as the value of 
the DPA job-identifer attribute.  (Since DPA does not require 
consecutively generated job-identifiers, the agent may receive jobs from 
multiple clients and can assign the jmJobIndex in an accending sequence 
independent of the submitting job client.)  The DPA job-identifier must 
be restricted to the range of 1 to 99,999,999 (decimal) to allow the 
value to be properly represented in jmJobSubmissionId.

6.3  Other MIB Objects Mapped to DPA

MIB Object                | DPA Job attribute
--------------------------+---------------------------------------------
jmJobOwner                | job-owner
jmJobKOctetsRequested     | total-job-octets (note 1)
jmJobKOctetsProcessed     | job-octets-completed (note 1)
jmJobImpressionsRequested | job-impression-count
jmJobImpressionsProcessed | impressions-completed
jmJobStateReasons1        | job-state-reasons (note 2)
jmNumberOfInterveningJobs | intervening-jobs

 Notes:
 ------
  1. jmJobKOctetsRequested and jmJobKOctetsProcessed is in K octets 
     while the DPA job-total-octets and job-octets-completed is in 
     octets and is 63-bits of significance.
  2. JobStateReasons is a bit map described in one object and three 
     attributes.  The DPA condition may change one or more of the bits 
     in one or more of these Job MIB items.  Also the DPA 
     job-state-reasons is a multi-valued attribute with each value being 
     an OBJECT IDENTIFIER (OID).

6.4  The Attribute Group Mapped to DPA

The following mappings are required if the listed DPA job attribute is 
provided.

MIB attribute              | DPA job attribute            |IPP Data type
---------------------------+------------------------------+-------------
jobCodedCharSet            | (note 1)                     | Octet String
jobNaturalLanguage         | document-natural-language    | Octet String
jobName                    | job-name                     | Octet String
documentFormat             | document-format              | Octet String
jobPriority                | job-priority                 | Integer
jobProcessAfterDateAndTime | job-print-after              | Octet String
sides                      | sides (note 3)               | Integer
finishing                  | job-finishing, finishing     | Integer
printQualityRequested      | print-quality                | Integer
printerResolutionRequested | default-printer-resolution   | Integer
                           |  (note 4)                    |
jobCopiesRequested         | job-copies-requested         | Integer
mediumRequested            | page-media-select,           | Octet String
                           |  default-medium              |
jobSubmissionTime          | submission-time (note 5)     | Integer
jobStartedProcessingTime   | started-printing-time (note 5) Integer
jobCompletionTime          | completion-time (note 5)     | Integer
sheetsRequested            | job-media-sheet-count        | Integer
jobURI                     | job-uri                      | Octet String
jobStateReasonsN           | job-state-reasons (note 2)   | Integer
physicalDevice             | printers-assigned            | Octet String
sheetsCompleted            | job-media-sheets-completed   | Integer

 Notes:
 ------
  1. Every DPA attribute is tagged indicating the coded character set 
     to be used for that attribute.
  2. JobStateReasons is a bit map described in one object and three 
     attributes.  The DPA condition may change one or more of the bits 
     in one or more of these Job MIB items.  Also the DPA 
     job-state-reasons is a multi-valued attribute with each value being 
     an OBJECT IDENTIFIER (OID).
  3. The Job MIB sides attribute is an integer '1' or '2' while the DPA 
     sides attribute has one of six OID values that includes plex.
  4. printerResolutionRequested has x and y resolution and is intended 
     to override the resolution instruction in the document, if any, 
     while the DPA default-printer-resolution is the same in x and y and 
     only takes effect if the document does not contain a resolution 
     instruction
  5. IPP times are the number of seconds since boot time, while DPA 
     times are a date/time.

7.0  NOVELL DISTRIBUTED PRINT SERVICE (NDPS)

Novell Distributed Print Services is a DPA based job submission protocol 
that conforms to configuration 3.

7.1  jmJobSubmissionId Mapped to NDPS

NDPS supports the generation of a properly formatted jmJobSubmissionId 
for use in the Job MIB, via the attribute ndps-att-job-identifier.  

ISSUE: Is this the proper NDPS atrribute or should the attrribute ndps-
att-identifier-on-client or ndps-att-new-job-identifier to be used?

7.2  jmJobIndex Mapped to NDPS

NDPS defines the attribute ndps-att-job-identifier-on-printer that can 
be used to return the value of jmJobIndex to the NDPS client.

7.3  Other MIB Objects Mapped to NDPS

MIB Object                       | NDPS Parameter
---------------------------------+--------------------------------------
jmJobOwner                       | ndps-att-job-owner
jmJobState                       | ndps-att-current-job-state (note 1)
jmJobStateReasons1               | ndps-att-job-state-reasons (note 2)
jmJobKOctetsProcessed            | ndps-att-octets-completed
jmJobImpressionsCompleted        | ndps-att-impressions-completed
jmNumberOfInterveningJobs        | ndps-att-intervening-jobs
jmJobImpressionsPerCopyRequested | ndps-att-job-impressions-count 
                                 |  (note 3)
 Notes:
 ------
  1. Some of the NDPS job states must be represented by both a 
     jmJobState and a jmJobStateReasons1 object or a jobStateReasonsN 
     attribute.
  2. The NDPS job state reasons may be mapped to either the object 
     jmJobStateReasons1 or the attribute jobStateReasonsN.
  3. The Job MIB object must be multiplied by the attribute 
     jobCopiesRequested to obtain the NDPS attribute value, if multiple 
     copies have been requested.

7.4  The Attribute Group Mapped to NDPS

The following mappings are required if the listed PJL attribute or 
command option is provided.

MIB attribute              | NDPS parameter               | Data type
---------------------------+------------------------------+-------------
jobAccountName             | ndps-att-job-owner           | Octet String
jobName                    | ndps-att-job-name            | Octet String
numberOfDocuments          | ndps-att-number-of-documents | Integer
fileName                   | ndps-att-document-file-name  | Octet String
documentName               | ndps-att-document-name       | Octet String
jobComment                 | ndps-att-job-comment         | Octet String
documentFormatIndex        | ndps-att-prtInterpreterIndex | Integer
documentFormat             | ndps-att-document-format     | Integer
jobPriority                | ndps-att-job-priority        | Integer
jobProcessAfterDateAndTime | ndps-att-job-print-after     | Octet String
outputBin                  | ndps-att-results-profile     | Integer
                           |  (note 1)                    |
sides                      | ndps-att-sides (note 2)      | Integer
finishing                  | ndps-att-job-finishing       | Integer
printQualityRequested      | ndps-att-print-quality       | Integer
printerResolutionRequested | ndps-att-default-printer--   | 
                           |  resolution (note 3)         | Integer
printerResolutionUsed      | ndps-att-default-resolutions-- 
                           |  used                        | Integer
jobCopiesRequested         | ndps-att-results-profile     | Integer
                           |  (note 4)                    |
mediumConsumed             | ndps-att-media-used          | Integer
jobSubmissionToServerTime  | ndps-att-submission-time     | Octet String
jobSubmissionTime          | ndps-att-started-printing-time Octet String
jobOriginatingHost         | ndps-att-job-originator      | Octet String
numberOfDocuments          | ndps-att-number-of-documents | Integer
jobCompletionTime          | ndps-att-completion-time     | Octet String
jobCopiesCompleted         | ndps-att-job-copies-completed| Integer
sheetsRequested            | ndps-att-job-media--         |
                           |                  sheet-count | Integer
sheetsCompleted            | ndps-att-media-sheets--      |
                           |                    completed | Integer
documentCopiesRequested    | ndps-att-copy-count          | Integer
documentCopiesCompleted    | ndps-att-copies-completed    | Integer
                                 |  (note 3)
 Notes:
 ------
  1. The output-bin field in ndps-att-results-profile is to be used.
  2. The Job MIB sides attribute is an integer '1' or '2' while the NDPS 
     sides attribute has one of six OID values that includes plex.
  3. printerResolutionRequested has x and y resolution and is intended 
     to override the resolution instruction in the document, if any, 
     while the ndps-att-default-printer-resolution is the same in x and 
     y and only takes effect if the document does not contain a 
     resolution instruction
  4. The job-copies field in ndps-att-results-profile is to be used.

8.0  PRINTER JOB LANGUAGE (PJL)

PJL [PJL] has been developed by Hewlett-Packard to provide job control 
information to the printer and status information to applications, 
independent of the PDL. 

8.1  jmJobSubmissionId Mapped to PJL

PJL has defined the SUBMISSIONID option for the JOB command which 
indicates a properly formatted jmJobSubmissionId for use in the Job MIB.  
The PJL JOB command is presented at the start of a print job with 
options that apply only the attached job.  The syntax for this command 
option is:

      @PJL JOB SUBMISSIONID = "id string"

Driver software that implements this PJL command option must provide the 
"id string" in one of the client version formats specified in the Job 
MIB for jmJobSubmissionId.  

For drivers that are not able to create the SUBMISSIONID option, it is 
recommended that jmJobSubmissionId format 0 be created by the agent 
using the PJL attribute DocOwner or DocOwnerId.

  octet 1:   '0'

  octets 2-40:  Contains the string associated with DocOwner or 
                DocOwnerId.  If the string is less than 40 octets, the 
                left-most character in the string shall appear in octet 
                position 2.  Otherwise, only the last 39 bytes shall be 
                included.  Any unused portion of this field shall be 
                filled with spaces.  If DocOwner or DocOwnerId cannot be 
                obtained, this field shall be blank.

  octets 41-48:  Contains the value of jmJobIndex associated with the 
                 job.  Leading zeros shall be inserted to fill the 
                 entire 8 octet field.

8.2  jmJobIndex Mapped to PJL

PJL does not provide a value that can be mapped to jmJobIndex.

8.3  The Attribute Group Mapped to PJL

The following mappings are required if the listed PJL attribute or 
command option is provided.

MIB attribute         | PJL attribute or command option  | Data type
----------------------+----------------------------------+--------------
jobOwner              | DocOwner or DocOwnerId attribute | Octet String 
serverAssignedJobName | DocName attribute or the command | Octet String
                      |  @PJL JOB Name = "string"        | Octet String
submittingServerName  | SrcServerName attribute          | Octet String
jobOriginatingHost    | SrcPort attribute                | Octet String
queueNameRequested    | SrcQ attribute                   | Octet String
fileName              | JobFName attribute               | Octet String
jobComment            | JobDesc attribute                | Octet String
jobSubmissionTime     | TimeSubmit attribute             | Octet String

9.0  POSTSCRIPT

The PostScript PDL permits comment fields which can be used by 
application drivers to include job information.  Although there are no 
restrictions or requirements as to what information may be included, 
many drivers include job owner and/or document name.

9.1  jmJobSubmissionId Mapped to PostScript

The use of a standard format job submission id comment string will allow 
interoperability of printers and drivers from multiple vendors.  The 
following comment string format is recommended for use with PostScript 
level 1 and level 2 data streams.

     %%JMPJobSubmissionId:(id-string)

where "id string" can be any jmJobSubmissionId format reserved for 
clients.

9.2  Other MIB Objects and Attributes Mapped to PostScript

No Other mappings from PostScript comment strings are recommended, but 
many Job MIB objects and attributes can be defined using vendor unique 
comment strings.

10.0  NETWARE PSERVER

The NetWare PServer job submission protocol is implemented in a client-
server-printer system on the server to printer link as defined in 
configuration 3.  

10.1  jmJobSubmissionId Mapped to PServer

  octet 1:   'B'

  octets 2-40:  Contains the Directory Path Name of the agent as 
                recorded by the Novell File Server in the queue 
                directory.  If the string is less than 40 octets, the 
                left-most character in the string shall appear in octet 
                position 2.  Otherwise, only the last 39 bytes shall be 
                included.  Any unused portion of this field shall be 
                filled with spaces.  

  octets 41-48:  '000XXXXX'  The decimal (ASCII coded) representation of 
                 the Job Number as per the NetWare File Server Queue 
                 Management Services.

10.2  jmJobIndex Mapped to PServer

The job index (jmJobIndex) is assigned by the SNMP job monitoring agent 
and is independent of the Job Number assigned by the NetWare File Server 
Queue Management Services.  This will allow the SNMP agent to track jobs 
received from multiple sources.

10.3  The Attribute Group Mapped to PServer

The following mappings are required if the listed PServer parameter is 
provided in the Novell File Server queue directory.

MIB attribute              | PServer parameter           | Data type
---------------------------+-----------------------------+--------------
jobOwner                   | Client Id Number            | Integer 
serverAssignedJobName      | Job File Name               | Octet String
queueNameRequested         | Queue Id                    | Integer
physicalDevice             | Server Id Number            | Integer
jobComment                 | Job Description             | Octet String
jobPriority                | (note 1)                    | Integer
jobProcessAfterDateAndTime | Target Execution Time       | Octet String
jobCopiesRequested         | Number of Copies            | Integer
mediumRequested            | Form Name                   | Octet String
jobSubmittedToServerTime   | Job Entry Time              | Octet String

Notes:
------
 1. The job priority is determined by the priority assigned to the queue 
    that contains the job.  Each queue can be assigned a unique priority 
    and the priority of the job is inherited from the queue.

11.0  NETWARE NPRINTER or RPRINTER

The NetWare NPrinter/RPrinter protocol was designed to transfer print 
data from a Novell File Server to a printer attached directly to a local 
port (e.g. parallel or serial) on a PC.  NPrinter/RPrinter is an 
extremely lightweight printing protocol.  Consequently, no information 
required by the Job Monitoring MIB is provided and a meaningful 
jmJobSubmissionId cannot be generated.

It is recommended that an additional job submission layer, such as PJL 
or another vendor private protocol,  be included on top of 
NPrinter/RPrinter to provide the required information.  The mapping 
should then be performed according to the recommendations of the higher 
layer submission protocol. 

12.0  SERVER MESSAGE BLOCK (SMB) PROTOCOL

The Server Message Block protocol is used with several PC Network 
operating systems, such as Microsoft Windows for Workgroups, IBM LAN 
Server, and Artisoft Lantastic.  SMB systems supporting the Job 
Monitoring MIB will conform to either configuration 1 or 3.

12.1  jmJobSubmissionId Mapped to SMB

  octet 1:   'C'

  octets 2-40:  Contains a decimal (ASCII coded) representation of the 
                16 bit SMB Tree Id field, which uniquely identifies the
                connection that submitted the job to the printer.  The 
                most significant digit of the numeric string shall be 
                placed in octet position 2.  All unused portions of this 
                field shall be filled with spaces.  The SMB Tree Id has 
                a maximum value of 65,535.

  octets 41-48:  Contains a decimal (ASCII coded) representation of the
                 File Handle returned from the printer agent to the 
                 client in response to a Create Print File command.  
                 Leading zeros shall be inserted to fill the entire 8 
                 octet field.

12.2  jmJobIndex Mapped to SMB

It is strongly recommended that the File Handle returned from the 
printer agent be identical to jmJobIndex.  If these items are identical,  
there is no need for the client application to perform a search on 
jmJobSubmissionId.  To be compatible with the 16 bit field allocated to 
this value by SMB, the maximum jmJobIndex is 65,535.

12.3  Other MIB objects Mapped to SMB

MIB Object      | SMB Parameter
----------------+------------------------------------------------
jmJobOwner      | SMB User Id field (note 1)

Notes:
------
 1. A decimal (ASCII coded) representation of the SMB User Id numeric 
    shall be presented as jmJobOwner.

13.0  TRANSPORT INDEPENDENT PRINTER/SYSTEM INTERFACE (TIP/SI)

The TIP/SI protocol, although currently specified as a part of the IEEE 
1284 parallel port standards [TIP/SI], was originally developed as a 
network protocol.  TIP/SI thus has the potential of being integrated 
into any network or non-network configuration.

13.1  jmJobSubmissionId Mapped to TIP/SI

  octet 1:   'D'

  octets 2-40:  Contains the Job Name from the Job Control-Start Job 
                (JC-SJ) command.  If the Job Name portion is less than 
                40 octets, the left-most character in the string shall 
                appear in octet position 2.  Any unused portion of this 
                field shall be filled with spaces.  Otherwise, only the 
                last 39 bytes shall be included.

  octets 41-48:  Contains a decimal (ASCII coded) representation of the
                 jmJobIndex assigned by the agent.  Leading zeros shall 
                 be inserted to fill the entire 8 octet field.  

13.2  jmJobIndex Mapped to TIP/SI

jmJobIndex is returned to the client as the Printer Assigned Job Id in a 
Job Control-Start Job (JC-SJ) response packet.  To be compatible with 
the 16 bit field allocated to this value by TIP/SI, the maximum 
jmJobIndex is 65,535.

13.3  Other MIB Objects Mapped to TIP/SI

MIB Object             | TIP/SI Parameter
-----------------------+------------------------------------------------
jmJobOwner             | User string

13.4  The Attribute Group Mapped to TIP/SI

MIB attribute         | TIP/SI information             | Data type
----------------------+---------------------------------+--------------
jobName               | Job Name string                 | Octet String
jobComment            | Additional Information string   | Octet String

14.0  REFERENCES

[IPP]  The Internet Printing Protocol RFC XXXX, Model RFC XXXX

[JobMIB]  The Job Monitoring MIB, RFC XXXX, IETF informational document.

[LPD]  Line Printer Daemon Protocol, RFC 1179, IETF informational 
document.

[PJL]  Printer Job Language Technical Reference Manual, Hewlett-Packard 
part number 5021-0328.

[PrtMIB]  The Printer MIB, RFC 1759, IETF standards track document.

[TIP/SI]  IEEE Standard 1284.1, Transport Independent Printer/System 
Interface.

15.0  AUTHORS

This document was created with significant contributions from the 
following individuals.

    Ron Bergman (Editor)
    Dataproducts Corp.
    1757 Tapo Canyon Road
    Simi Valley, CA 93063-3394

    Phone: 805-578-4421
    Fax:  805-578-4001
    Email: [email-masked]

    Tom Hastings
    Xerox Corporation, ESAE-231
    701 S. Aviation Blvd.
    El Segundo, CA   90245

    Phone: 310-333-6413
    Fax:   310-333-5514
    EMail: [email-masked]

    Scott A. Isaacson
    Novell, Inc.
    122 E 1700 S
    Provo, UT   84606

    Phone: 801-861-7366
    Fax:   801-861-4025
    EMail: [email-masked]

    Harry Lewis
    IBM Corporation
    6300 Diagonal Hwy
    Boulder, CO 80301

    Phone: (303) 924-5337
    Fax:   (303) 924-4662
    Email: [email-masked]

    Bob Pentecost
    Hewlett-Packard Corporation
    11311 Chinden Boulevard
    Boise, ID 83714

    Phone: (208) 396-3312
    Fax:   (208) 396-4122
    Email: [email-masked]

    Send comments to the printmib WG using the Job Monitoring Project
    (JMP) Mailing List:  [email-masked]

    For further information, access the PWG web page under "JMP":
    http://www.pwg.org/

Other Participants:

    Chuck Adams - Tektronix
    Keith Carter - IBM Corporation
    Angelo Caruso - Xerox
    Jeff Copeland - QMS
    Andy Davidson - Tektronix
    Mabry Dozier - QMS
    Lee Ferrel - Canon
    David Kellerman - Northlake Software
    Rick Landau - Digital
    Jay Martin - Underscore
    Ira McDonald - Xerox
    Stuart Rowley - Kyocera
    Bob Setterbo - Adobe
    Gail Songer - EFI
    Mike Timperman - Lexmark
    William Wagner - DPI/Osicom
    Chris Wellens - Interworking Labs
    Rob Whittle - Novell
    Don Wright - Lexmark
    Lloyd Young - Lexmark

Job Submission Protocol Mapping Recommendations             Jan 12, 1998

Bergman                                                        [page 8]

Bergman                                                         [page 1]