Subject: QoS Issues for Transport of Multimedia Data over Cellular Wireless Networks

From: Sanket S Nesargi <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 13:09:58 -0500 (CDT)

Hi,
 	I am working on the QoS issues for the transport of multimediadata over 
a variety of networks (including cellular, and possibly ad-hoc networks)  as a 
part of my Master's thesis. I want to look at these aspects in an
architecture independent manner. More  specifically, I am interested in
looking at the modifications needed to transport multimedia data over
networks using Mobile IP at the network layer, RTP/RTCP payload in UDP
packets, and how the different QoS parameters like jitter, end to end
delay etc could be satisfied in such a scenario.
 	Almost all of the literature that I have come across treats the 
topic at a lower layer, assuming the existence of an ATM network and using 
Wireless ATM to extend it over the wireless hop. In this, the QoS is 
guaranteed by reserving timeslots in the TDM frames sent to the mobile 
host. However, I feel that assuming the existence of an end-to-end ATM n/w 
is not valid as the end-to-end connection may span across diverse 
networks, all of which may not guarantee deterministic delays etc. I 
intend to look at the issues from the modifications needed at the network 
and the transport layers in an architecture independent manner.
	I have not been able to find any literature on this topic, and if 
anyone could provide me with useful pointers to information on this topic 
it would be great. Also, if you could let me know your points of view on 
looking at QoS provisioning in this manner, I would really grateful.
 
Thanks,
Sanket Nesargi
 
 ---------------------------------------------------------------------
 			Sanket S. Nesargi
 
 	Research Assistant	 | 2400 Waterview Parkway, #1215	
 	Distributed Systems Lab  | Richardson, TX - 75080
 	UT Dallas                |
 	Off: (972) 883 2420      | Res: (972) 437 1740
 
 ---------------------------------------------------------------------