Subject: about QoS

From: "rick king" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 23:40:16 +0800

As I have know about MPLS,RSVP,Diffserv,they are all supposed to offer QoS
over Internet.But all difficult to implement. I wonder why not use only one
bit in IP header to indicate this packet's priority? Let's call this bit as
P bit. If it's set to 1,then the packet has high priority.otherwise the
packet is treat as usual.The router will keep the delay of high priority
packet within a range.When congestion occur ,the router will discard the
packet with P=0.

If you set P to 1,then you will pay for it.Every host and router can set the
P bit.if the router decide that the network can't support too much packet
with P=1,it can override the P bit ,and you will not be charged.

I think this method is easy to put in practice.any suggestion to it?

---

From: Kevin DeLange <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 1998 08:48:32 -0400

Rick,

If the only reason you want to implement QoS is to insure that there are only
two classes of traffic moving over the Internet, then your proposal makes
sense.  However, there are numerous reasons why you need a more robust mechanism
to segment traffic.  Critical applications, and their underlying protocols, do
not always need the same traffic priorities.  It's not on/off, it's more like
how much do you want to turn it on.  More importantly, you have to consider the
difference between constant bit rate versus variable bit rate applications.  If
you want to deliver voice over a packet switched network, you need some
guarantees that the voice traffic will be provided a steady stream of priority
traffic.  At the same time you may need to guarantee that mission critical data
applications be given priority over other less sensitive traffic.  And if
multicast ever becomes a reality over the Internet, it will become even more
critical to offer a robust mechanism to allow for more effective bandwidth
utilization.

Kevin