Subject: RE:about QoS

From: "Raghu V.V.J Vadapalli" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 09:21:07 -0700 (PDT)

Hi rick,

 >>>The reasons can be:
> >>>IPv4 has TOS bit. But most of the current implementations ignore
> >>>that bit. ( I think it is same ( to some extent ) ur proposal.
> >>yes,I know the TOS bit.I think the reason that current
implementations
> >>ignore TOS bits is:
> >>1)The classic IP software like telnet,ftp,web brower don't need
QoS, so
> >>these days  router doesn't support the TOS bits.
> >>2)If you want to support ToS,then you need to bill the consumer by
the TOS
> >>he applying.Many people maybe don't like this before.But now as IP
phone
> >>appear,I think someone will like to pay for it.
>> Yes I agree. That's past.

>>1. If u have only bit then u can't support different classes of QoS.
> >>you are right,I only take it as example.
I am not able to get u properly. We want to support different classes
of QoS. Do u agree with that.

> >>>2. RSVP and MPLS are not just not ment for QoS but Multicast QoS
> >>>service.
> >>>( I mean they provide mechanisms to support such stuff)
> >>So it's still a kind of QoS..:)
What I mean by multicast QoS is RSVP support requests merging. Which 
is a lot.

 >>>3. Treating all the classes the same, other than the best effort
> >>>traffic is not a good n/w design.
> >>> 4. Why do u think RSVP  implementation is diffcult. I think some
body
> >>>a good implementation. I remember that somebody mentioned about
their
> >>> implementation in this mailing list. ( I agree that deployment
in the
> >>>current interner is diffcult..)
> >>As I know RSVP need some routing protocol to support it,maybe MPLS
is a
> >good
Yes u do need a routing protocol for RSVP implementation.  There is 
 one internet draft on QoS extensions to OSPF. ( QOSPF by gurein..)
 That can support RSVP .  I agree that MPLS can be used for supporting 
 rsvp. But about the present networks which are based IP routing 
protocols. 

I think u arrived at bit proposal by the congention bit in the ATM
header.
Do u!!! I don't think that is a good choice. 
> >>choice. I am expect them too..

Thanks 
-Raghu.

==
------------------------------------------------------------

_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com