Subject: Protocol Action: An Extensible Message Format for Message Disposition Notifications to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 11:44:03 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'An Extensible Message Format
for Message Disposition Notifications' <draft-ietf-receipt-mdn-08.txt>
as a Proposed Standard.  This document is the product of the Receipt
Notifications for Internet Mail Working Group.  The IESG contact
persons are Harald Alvestrand and Keith Moore.

Technical Summary

  This memo defines a MIME content-type that may be used by a mail
  user agent (UA) or electronic mail gateway to report the disposition
  of a message after it has been sucessfully delivered to a recipient
  ("receipt report" or "read report").

  Other WGs may also be using this for delivering information about
  automated processing of messages, for instance in the EDI context.

Working Group Summary
  The working group came to consensus on the document as written;
  it is believed that any kind of on-reading notification involves
  serious tradeoffs, especially with regard to privacy; the WG
  believes that the current document is a reasonable approach.

Protocol Quality

 The document was reviewed for the IESG by Harald Alvestrand