Subject: [103attendees] Taxi sharing signup

From: "Pete Resnick" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2018 17:21:53 -0500

What, nobody's made their travel arrangements yet?

https://trac.ietf.org/trac/ietf/meeting/wiki/103arrivals
https://trac.ietf.org/trac/ietf/meeting/wiki/103departures

I feel so ahead of the game!

pr
-- 
Pete Resnick http://www.episteme.net/
All connections to the world are tenuous at best

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2018 20:20:54 -0400

> https://trac.ietf.org/trac/ietf/meeting/wiki/103departures

I will take the train.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 1 Oct 2018 20:59:43 -0400

>I feel so ahead of the game!

Hey, some of us already know what the schedule for the airport train is.

Signed,
Environmental Extremist

---

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2018 11:54:57 -0400

John and Michael,

If you take the train (Rail Link) from BKK, do you know where you connect
to the Skytrain, and which stop to use for the hotel? That's not (yet) in
the meeting Wiki.

Thanks,
Andy

On Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 8:59 PM <[email-masked]> wrote:

> 103attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/103attendees
>

---

From: Jim Reid <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2018 17:03:00 +0100

> On 2 Oct 2018, at 16:54, Andrew G. Malis <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> If you take the train (Rail Link) from BKK, do you know where you connect to the Skytrain, and which stop to use for the hotel? That's not (yet) in the meeting Wiki.

What sort of visa is needed for the train? :-)

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2018 12:15:08 -0400

Andrew G. Malis <[email-masked]> wrote:
    > If you take the train (Rail Link) from BKK, do you know where you
    > connect to the Skytrain, and which stop to use for the hotel? That's
    > not (yet) in the meeting Wiki.

I don't know yet.
It looks like the main station is only a block or two from the hotels,
so I'll probably walk.  Hmm. Maybe this trip calls for the hiking pack.
Or will that look *too* touristy?

    > What sort of visa is needed for the train? :-)

That's a good question.
I will be looking out the windows, and it will be daytime for me,
but if there are at least three of us, we can call it a conference!

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-

---

From: "John R. Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 2 Oct 2018 12:15:52 -0400

> to the Skytrain, and which stop to use for the hotel? That's not (yet) in

Sorry, but that is super secret classified information, limited to the 
elite few who look at a map.  Aw, come on.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Suvarnabhumi+Airport+(BKK),+%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%B9%E0%B9%88+1+Tambon+Nong+Prue,+Amphoe+Bang+Phli,+Chang+Wat+Samut+Prakan,+Thailand/Bangkok+Marriott+Marquis+Queen%E2%80%99s+Park,+Khlong+Tan,+Khlong+Toei,+10,+Thailand/@13.723399,100.5754055,12z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m18!4m17!1m5!1m1!1s0x311d67771542274f:0x120d19554f157a07!2m2!1d100.7501124!2d13.6899991!1m5!1m1!1s0x30e29f02e2d8e5ed:0x5fcbf60444324923!2m2!1d100.5655813!2d13.7304211!2m3!6e0!7e2!8j1541160840!3e3

Regards,
John Levine, [email-masked], Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Please consider the environment before reading this e-mail. https://jl.ly

---

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2018 12:54:48 -0400

John,

Except that map can't be correct, it doesn't show the airport train, but
rather a 25 minute walk to the nearest subway station.

Cheers,
Andy

---

From: "John R. Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 2 Oct 2018 13:01:09 -0400

> rather a 25 minute walk to the nearest subway station.

A few more seconds of googlage reveals that yes, that is the airport 
train, and the station is at the airport.  (Who knows why Google thinks it 
isn't.)  There's also an easy to find transit map that shows that the 
connections Google suggests are the right ones.

http://bangkok.com/airport-rail-link.htm

R's,
John

---

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2018 19:15:41 +0200 (CEST)

> Or will that look *too* touristy?

The closest airport link station is quite a long way away from the hotel 
(2.5km).

I started looking into this and one would have to take subway to 
Asoke/Sukhumvit and then walk ~1km to the hotel.

Personally I'm going to take a taxi from the Airport Link Makkasan 
station to my hotel. Only reason to not do that (it'll cost a few USD max) 
would be extreme traffic, and in that case the subway hop 
Phetchaburi->Sukhumvit might make sense to skip 1.6km of that traffic).

The hotel is pretty much in the middle between BTS stations Asoke and 
Phrom Phong (1km and 0,8km away respectively), so it's a 10 minute walk 
either direction.

I highly recommend people to not take taxis in the early evenings, traffic 
along Sukhumvit and the nearby streets can be really awful, as in "move 
500 meters in half an hour"-awful.

-- 
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email-masked]

---

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2018 20:05:24 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 2 Oct 2018, Andrew G. Malis wrote:

> connect to the Skytrain, and which stop to use for the hotel? That's not 
> (yet) in the meeting Wiki.

I added text about this to the wiki just now, together with some other 
information I gathered from living there for 6 months approx 6 years ago.

Is there anything else important missing now that I perhaps can fill in?

---

From: "Pete Resnick" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2018 13:11:38 -0500

>     > https://trac.ietf.org/trac/ietf/meeting/wiki/103departures

1. As amply demonstrated in the subsequent discussion, some folks might 
appreciate meeting up with others to take the train together. Aside from 
being social, some people find navigating unfamiliar public transport 
intimidating. Put your name on the list and note that you're taking the 
train. Someone might ask to meet up with you if the times match.

2. Some of us lunatics are bringing dive gear for the week after the 
meeting and are willing to share a cab with other poor packers who don't 
want to carry all of their crap on the train.

pr

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2018 14:19:16 -0400

> Is there anything else important missing now that I perhaps can fill

Are dirty foreigners allowed to get SIM cards with data plans easily?
At the airport?  Should I pre-book?
Can I have it mailed to me? ... Will it work in India?
(given that I live in a 3rd world of 3G/LTE plans where roaming is uber
expensive)

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 2 Oct 2018 14:22:15 -0400

>What sort of visa is needed for the train? :-)

The kind with a sixteen digit number and a chip, so you can buy
a ticket from the machine.

R's,
John

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2018 12:05:05 -0700

> Or will that look *too* touristy?

like a farang with a suitcase will not look like a tourist.

my wife sez that the purpose of tourists is to amuse the locals.  i
have never been sure that the locals see it taht way.

randy

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2018 12:08:57 -0700

> Are dirty foreigners allowed to get SIM cards with data plans easily?

TRUE, our fiber-to-the-hotel provider, has a boot by meeting point 4

or any konbini in town

randy

---

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2018 21:10:56 +0200 (CEST)

> At the airport?  Should I pre-book?

I have edited the text in the wiki to add that there are AIS / Televiz 
stores at the airport and at major malls.

> Can I have it mailed to me? ...

Dunno, probably not.

> Will it work in India?

I have no idea.

> (given that I live in a 3rd world of 3G/LTE plans where roaming is uber 

I typically buy local SIMs in SE asia, as for any duration of stay it's a 
lot cheaper. There are ok roaming plans within some countries though.

---

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2018 21:14:03 +0200 (CEST)

> TRUE, our fiber-to-the-hotel provider, has a boot by meeting point 4

AIS is the only one to offer dual stack mobile in Thailand that I know of, 
thus AIS is the only one I recommend. They also have unlimited data that 
is actually unlimited (I used 50GB in a month anyway, so if it's not 
actually unlimited then the limit is higher than that).

I included USSD codes to buy packages in the wiki meeting page.

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2018 15:23:55 -0400

Mikael Abrahamsson <[email-masked]> wrote:
    > AIS is the only one to offer dual stack mobile in Thailand that I know
    > of, thus AIS is the only one I recommend. They also have unlimited data
    > that is actually unlimited (I used 50GB in a month anyway, so if it's
    > not actually unlimited then the limit is higher than that).

    > I included USSD codes to buy packages in the wiki meeting page.

Thank you.  So I can't get it in advance in any way?

The link for electricity shows me five plugs types.
I assume it's mostly european CEE 7 then?

---

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2018 21:48:22 +0200 (CEST)

> Thank you.  So I can't get it in advance in any way?

Not that I am aware of.

> I assume it's mostly european CEE 7 then?

It's very common to have plugs that take "everything":

https://blog.inspitrip.com/3205/thailand-power-outlets-and-adapters-important-things-you-need-to-know/

If you get the thin EU connectors they sometimes don't fit very well 
(metal connector in the socket doesn't clamp enough so connector can 
wiggle and sometimes don't make contact).

If you buy electronics in thailand you never know if you'll get US or EU 
plug, most wall sockets take both.

---

From: "Peter Yee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2018 15:12:45 -0700

Should Mikael's updates to the meeting wiki not give you enough to go on (or
you want to use a different provider, for example), here's more information
than you could possibly want. ;-)

http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Thailand

		-Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: 103attendees [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Michael Richardson
Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2018 11:19 AM
To: Mikael Abrahamsson
Cc: [email-masked]; Andrew G. Malis
Subject: Re: [103attendees] Taxi sharing signup

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works  -=
IPv6 IoT consulting =-

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2018 18:59:35 -0400

>> The link for electricity shows me five plugs types.  I assume it's
    >> mostly european CEE 7 then?

    > wiggle and sometimes don't make contact).

okay, AFAIK, the secretariat has a set of EU power strips, and a set of
north-american ones.  Which ones will be in the meeting rooms?
Which one will my hotel have?

--
]               Never tell me the odds!                 | ipv6 mesh networks [
]   Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works        | network architect  [
]     [email-masked]  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 2 Oct 2018 20:23:07 -0400

>Which one will my hotel have?

Perhaps we could throw caution to the winds and bring both plug
adapters.

I don't know what my hotel (a block from the Marriott, much cheaper)
will provide so that's what I'm doing.

R's,
John

---

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2018 08:13:35 +0200 (CEST)

> will provide so that's what I'm doing.

That's what I will do as well. I always bring my own so I can handle 
whatever comes up (EU/US plugs).