Subject: [103attendees] Traveling to Grand Palace

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2018 02:39:05 +0000

Quite late now, but maybe someone still might find this useful:

Having only a few hours of spare time this week I tried to figure out what to do best to see a bit more of Bangkok. Clearly the top-1 tourist site seems to be the Grand Palace connect with the Temple of the Emerald Buddha. But how to go there if you don't like taxis?

What worked well for me yesterday was to use the BTS Sky Train to go to Sahang Taksin (Silom line stop S6; change at Siam), then use the Chao Praya Express Boat to Tha Chang. Costs 94 THB per trip (44 BTS + 50 for the blue flag tourist boat). My outward journey took about 90 minutes, return journey 70 minutes. Could be faster (and cheaper?) if you used the Orange flag boat instead, but you'd have a little more walking to the Palace and miss the chance to have an even better view from the upper floor of the boat. Not sure whether taxis are much faster, but you get a view from the river to the city and spare the hassle to have the driver switch on the meter.

Best regards,
Martin

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 9 Nov 2018 08:17:29 +0700

This works great but plan ahead -- the palace closes at 3:30 PM.

In article <[email-masked]> you write:
>Having only a few hours of spare time this week I tried to figure out what to do best to see a bit more of
>Bangkok. Clearly the top-1 tourist site seems to be the Grand Palace connect with the Temple of the Emerald
>Buddha. But how to go there if you don't like taxis?
>
>What worked well for me yesterday was to use the BTS Sky Train to go to Sahang Taksin (Silom line stop S6;
>change at Siam), then use the Chao Praya Express Boat to Tha Chang. Costs 94 THB per trip (44 BTS + 50 for the
>blue flag tourist boat). My outward journey took about 90 minutes, return journey 70 minutes. Could be faster
>(and cheaper?) if you used the Orange flag boat instead, but you'd have a little more walking to the Palace
>and miss the chance to have an even better view from the upper floor of the boat. Not sure whether taxis are
>much faster, but you get a view from the river to the city and spare the hassle to have the driver switch on
>the meter.
-- 
Regards,
John Levine, [email-masked], Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Please consider the environment before reading this e-mail. https://jl.ly