Subject: [103attendees] Four Points Sheraton WiFi sub-par

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2018 07:49:37 +0700

While the WiFi seemed okay when I checked on Friday to the Four Points
Sheraton, I did not really use it that much.  Last night, in my room, after
seven WiFi drops (requiring me to Disconnect from the AP, reconnect), I
dialed 0, and they reset something.  I had to login again, and then dropped a
few more times, and then I went to sleep to get up early to come to the
Marriot early.  It's clearly a layer-2 issue.  I will search the desk for a
wired jack when I return tonight.

I thought we more often wired the overflow hotels, but as I read
venue-selection I see that it's clearly stated that we usually don't.
I usually wind up in an AirBnb or something cheaper than the overflow, but
decided to "splurge" on the overflow, I guess with the mis-apprehension that
network would be good.  But, I guess mostly because it would more guarantee an
english speaking front-desk.
When I realized it was 1.5km away, of course, it is unlikely to be wired.

iaoc-venue-selection-process-16 does say:

   o  It is desirable for Overflow Hotels to provide reasonable,
      reliable, unfiltered Internet service for the public areas and
      guest rooms, and that this service be included in the cost of the
      room.

and I believe that the Four Points is not, at this point, satisfying the
"reliable" point.  (The bathroom is rather nice though)

I wonder if the selection process is asking hotels if they have IPv6.
I sadly know what the answer is.

I'd also like them to ask some questions about the technology of the captive
portal, but we don't really have a good captive portal "list of things not do
to" document yet.

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-