Subject: [104all] IETF 104 Host Speaker Series: Telemetry: Industry Status, Challenges, and IETF Opportunities

From: IETF Secretariat <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2019 08:27:38 -0700

Topic: Telemetry: Industry Status, Challenges, and IETF Opportunities

Speakers: Frank Brockners and Benoît Claise, Chief Technology and 
Architecture Office, Cisco

Telemetry is the new buzzword in the industry these days. Key questions 
addressed in the talk: What is telemetry at the network, application, 
and business level? What is the intersection of standardization and 
tool/reference-implementation development? What are the opportunities 
for the industry and especially IETF with regards to evolving telemetry?

Logistics:
    • Room: Grand Ballroom
    • Date: Thursday, March 28, 2019
    • Time: 12:30-13:15
    • Lunch will not be provided          

Speaker Biographies:

Frank Brockners is Distinguished Engineer in Cisco's Chief Technology 
and Architecture Office, driving software and architecture development 
for software defined devices with a strong focus on telemetry. Frank is 
active in several open source projects, including ONAP, OPNFV, FD.io, 
and PNDA. He is a member of the OPNFV TSC and LFN TAC. Frank's current 
focus in the IETF is on telemetry, in particular "in-situ OAM". Frank, 
who is a 19-year Cisco veteran, holds a M.Sc./diploma degree in 
Electrical Engineering (Aachen, University of Technology, Germany; 1994) 
as well as a Ph.D./Dr. degree in Information Science (University of 
Cologne, Germany; 1999).

Benoît Claise, is a Cisco Fellow and CCIE (Cisco Certified 
Internetworking Expert), working as an architect in the Chief Technology 
and Architecture Office. Areas of passion & expertise include Internet 
traffic monitoring, accounting, performance, fault, configuration. 
Benoît's area of focus these days is network automation with YANG as the 
data modeling language, and telemetry as a feedback loop to solve 
intent-based networking.

Benoît was IETF Operations and Management Area (OPS) co-director from 
2012 to 2018, period during which much of the data model-driven 
management protocols, encoding, and data models were specified. He blogs 
on this topic on his web site http://www.claise.be/ and spends time on 
the yangcatalorg.org developments.

Benoît is a contributor to the IETF, with 35 RFCs in the area of 
NetFlow, IPFIX (IP Flow Information eXport), PSAMP (Packet Sampling), 
IPPM (IP Performance Metrics), YANG, MIB module, energy management, and 
network management in general. Benoît is the co-author of the soon-to-
be-published "Network Programmability with YANG: The Structure of 
Network Automation with YANG, NETCONF, RESTCONF, and gNMI" and "Network 
Management: Accounting and Performance Strategies" books.