Subject: [107all] Jabber Service Information for IETF 107

From: Glen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2020 18:30:08 -0700

Jabber is an instant messaging service used by the IETF during
meetings to allow participants to interact with and ask questions of
presenters (and each other).

As a result of recent feedback received from IETF participants, we
have updated the Jabber information page here:
https://www.ietf.org/how/meetings/jabber/

The page now includes:

- A specific list of clients which have been found suitable (today)
for Jabber use with the IETF
- A specific list of servers which have been tested (today) with the
IETF Jabber chatrooms and from which free accounts can be obtained
- An overview of, and instructions for, getting online with the IETF's
Jabber service

If you're not already familiar with Jabber, please refer to that page
for assistance.

Two notes:

1. If you're interested in using Jabber, you are advised to get set
up, and test your connection, well in advance of the session(s) you
wish to attend.  Users new to Jabber will need more than just 5
minutes to get online, so please allow yourself enough time to get set
up and connected.

2. As with all aspects of this meeting, we are entering a new world
here.  Although there are fewer sessions on the agenda (so far), we
expect larger-than-normal participation on Jabber during each session.
While we don't anticipate any issues, we ask for everyone's
understanding in the event that problems occur.  Jabber is a
decentralized service, with many moving parts not under our control.
We only have the ability to change and manage the IETF's "end" of the
connection.  Please be patient, and we will do everything we can to
resolve any server-side problems that may occur.

Please feel free to email me privately if there are any questions.

Thank you.

Glen
--
Glen Barney
IT Director
AMS (IETF Secretariat)