Subject: [107attendees] Plenary questions for the IESG

From: IETF Chair <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2020 12:20:36 -0400

The IESG is encouraging the community to submit questions to us in advance of the plenary. Questions can be sent to [email-masked]. The IESG will aim to prepare answers for questions submitted by March 24 at 14:00 UTC. We will also have the usual open mic session during the plenary for people to ask questions in real time.

Thanks,
Alissa Cooper on behalf of the IESG

---

From: Alexandre PETRESCU <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2020 20:40:17 +0100

What is the continuity plan?

Yours,

--
Alexandre Petrescu
[email-masked], tél 0169089223

---

From: Jay Daley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2020 10:52:23 +1300

Alexandre

> On 19/03/2020, at 8:40 AM, Alexandre PETRESCU <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

Can you please elaborate a bit more on this question.

thanks
Jay

>> The IESG is encouraging the community to submit questions to us in advance of the plenary. Questions can be sent to [email-masked]
>> . The IESG will aim to prepare answers for questions submitted by March 24 at 14:00 UTC. We will also have the usual open mic session during the plenary for people to ask questions in real time.
>> 
>> Thanks,
> 107attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/107attendees

-- 
Jay Daley
IETF Executive Director
[email-masked]

---

From: Alexandre PETRESCU <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2020 17:20:37 +0100

Jay

Thank you for asking.

Honestly I do not know how to best write about this.

We are going through difficult times.   The pandemic of virus with a 
crown, that risks to provoke COVID, is an example of such times.  Other 
examples exist, including various kinds of unrest, or other natural 
disasters, or so.  And, we live in an increasingly interconnected world 
where events here affect events there.

I would like the IETF to continue working, despite these.

To do that, there would be a need of a continuity plan.

As with all plans, there is a need of a timeline.

It is difficult to talk about an IETF timeline like it was talked 
before.  Before, it was said: 3 meetings a year, one in each continent.  
Now that's gone.  At least because there are still now, 2 months after, 
many parts are not yet out of the wave lockdown, because we dont know 
whether or not there's a second wave, and because Olympics just got 
re-scheduled in one year time for example.  BEcause we dont know whether 
medicine (Chloroquine, Favipiravir, others) will help and how, or what 
new medicine will come out.  Because we dont know whether this is a 
Summer-Winter typical propagation; we dont know whether the 1meter 
distance is safe enough.

For my part, the only thing I know now (and it might change this 
evening) is that the wave where I live is likely to start going down at 
latest end of April.  IT does not mean I could get out of home by that time.

BEcause of these unknowns, it is difficult to make a timeline.

But we need a continuity plan.

A continuity plan might help answering questions such as: will there be 
a f2f meeting in July?  In November?  In 2020?

Without such a plan, it is difficult, for me, to work on IETF matters 
like protocol design, or review Internet Drafts.

For example, how could I review a document now if I know I might get to 
my lab only in several months to test what I have to test in order to 
give the proper feedback to the I-D.

Or maybe most people (I dont know?) are in a situation in which we try 
to hold our breath a few months and then all will be back to normal as 
before with the 3-meeting per year each on one Continent.  For my part, 
I doubt it.

Yours,

--
Alexandre Petrescu
[email-masked], tél 0169089223, LF/HF 1

---

From: Alexandre PETRESCU <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2020 20:22:40 +0100

Sorry, following up my own email.

One more thing I wanted to add:

A continuity plan is a plan written on paper.  It is designed during 
many months and potentially years.  It is a plan of action.  It has 
inputs. BAsed on input data it tells what are the actions that need to 
be taken.  This plan is executed 'by the letter'.  It is a single 
plan.   It is executed by a small group of people that trust each 
other.  This plan is applied when there is not enough time to think 
about all there is to think about, but there is enough data and enough 
solid criteria.

This plan is designed by very numerous people, and agreed very largely.  
Some times it is tested, without being applied, just to see it works well.

It is an open plan, not a secret plan.

A continuity plan allows to continue functioning when faced with data 
that one does not really understand entirely what's happening.  A plan 
permits to not having to improvise.

That is what I meant.

Yours,

Le 24/03/2020 à 17:20, Alexandre PETRESCU a écrit :
> crown, that risks to provoke COVID, is an example of such times.  
> Other examples exist, including various kinds of unrest, or other 
> natural disasters, or so.  And, we live in an increasingly 
> interconnected world where events here affect events there.
>
> before. Before, it was said: 3 meetings a year, one in each 
> continent.  Now that's gone.  At least because there are still now, 2 
> months after, many parts are not yet out of the wave lockdown, because 
> we dont know whether or not there's a second wave, and because 
> Olympics just got re-scheduled in one year time for example.  BEcause 
> we dont know whether medicine (Chloroquine, Favipiravir, others) will 
> help and how, or what new medicine will come out.  Because we dont 
> know whether this is a Summer-Winter typical propagation; we dont know 
> whether the 1meter distance is safe enough.
>
> evening) is that the wave where I live is likely to start going down 
> at latest end of April.  IT does not mean I could get out of home by 
> that time.
>
> A continuity plan might help answering questions such as: will there 
> be a f2f meeting in July?  In November?  In 2020?
>
> For example, how could I review a document now if I know I might get 
> to my lab only in several months to test what I have to test in order 
> to give the proper feedback to the I-D.
>
> before with the 3-meeting per year each on one Continent.  For my 
> part, I doubt it.
>
> Yours,
>
> --
> Alexandre Petrescu
>>> On 19/03/2020, at 8:40 AM, Alexandre PETRESCU<[email-masked]>  wrote:
>>>
>>>> The IESG is encouraging the community to submit questions to us in advance of the plenary. Questions can be sent [email-masked]

---

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2020 15:42:35 -0400

Plans always leave something out and improvisation is the word of the day.

Been there, done that back in my automotive days.

We lost power at the old Chrysler Highland park campus.  The diesel gen 
failed to kick in.

Turns out, the neighbors were using our 10M dish for target practice and 
put a slug into our generator since the last test.

Count on things going wrong and trust your people.

On 3/24/20 3:22 PM, Alexandre PETRESCU wrote:
> inputs.  BAsed on input data it tells what are the actions that need 
> to be taken.  This plan is executed 'by the letter'.  It is a single 
> This plan is designed by very numerous people, and agreed very 
> largely.  Some times it is tested, without being applied, just to see 
> it works well.
>
>> months after, many parts are not yet out of the wave lockdown, 
>> because we dont know whether or not there's a second wave, and 
>> because Olympics just got re-scheduled in one year time for example.  
>> BEcause we dont know whether medicine (Chloroquine, Favipiravir, 
>> others) will help and how, or what new medicine will come out.  
>> Because we dont know whether this is a Summer-Winter typical 
>> propagation; we dont know whether the 1meter distance is safe enough.
>>
>> Or maybe most people (I dont know?) are in a situation in which we 
>> try to hold our breath a few months and then all will be back to 
>> normal as before with the 3-meeting per year each on one Continent.  
>> For my part, I doubt it.
>>
>> Yours,
>>
>> --
>> Alexandre Petrescu

-- 
Standard Robert Moskowitz
Owner
HTT Consulting
C:248-219-2059
F:248-968-2824
E:[email-masked]

There's no limit to what can be accomplished if it doesn't matter who 
gets the credit