Subject: [113attendees] If one tests positive in Vienna

From: "John R. Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 9 Feb 2022 14:52:14 -0500

While we all hope to go to Vienna and come home without incident, what 
happens if someone takes those many PCR tests and the result is positive?

How long do you have to quarantine?  Where can you quarantine, in the 
conference hotel or somewhere else?  What arrangements are there for 
meals?  What do you have to do to be allowed on a plane?

If this has happened to anyone, what has happened when you called an 
airline and said I'm supposed to fly tomrorrow but I tested positive?  I 
realize the basic rule is that if they don't let you fly they are supposed 
to refund your money but I don't want a refund, I want a flight on the 
first day I'm allowed to return.

Regards,
John Levine, [email-masked], Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Please consider the environment before reading this e-mail. https://jl.ly

---

From: Dr Eberhard W Lisse <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 21:59:21 +0200

I would ask the airline you are flying with.

el

On 2022-02-09 21:52 , John R. Levine wrote:
> airline and said I'm supposed to fly tomrorrow but I tested positive?
> I realize the basic rule is that if they don't let you fly they are
> supposed to refund your money but I don't want a refund, I want a
> flight on the first day I'm allowed to return.
> 
> Regards,
> John Levine
[...]

-- 
Dr Eberhard W Lisse
Managing Director
Namibian Network Information Center (Pty) Ltd.
PO Box 8421 Bachbrecht 10007 Namibia
If this email is signed with GPG, Sect 20 Act No 4 of 2019 may apply

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 20:12:27 +0000

Having recently dealt with something like this in a different country, I can contribute an anecdote, at least. Airlines have largely waived change fees in the wake of CoVID, and my experience was that the fare differences were minor even very close to my scheduled return home. I think we paid $20 for the first delay, $8 for the second, and now carry a $5 credit with United for the final delay being to a marginally cheaper flight.

My hotel was unwilling to allow someone testing positive to remain there and isolate, because they aren't set up to protect staff cleaning your room, etc. There were isolation hotels designated by the government, for quarantine-on-arrival and tested-positive separately; multiple tiers of hotels were available at differing costs. However, the details and availability of these will vary. The fixed rate included meals and the room for the mandated isolation period. It would probably be wise to ask the conference hotel for their policy and identify any designated quarantine hotels in Vienna.

There can also be a gap between isolation guidance while in-country and requirements to board a flight, which are dictated by the destination country. Had we stayed, we would have been required to isolate for several more days, but we met the requirements to return to the US and did so without issue.

Sent from Nine<http://www.9folders.com/>

________________________________
From: "John R. Levine" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, February 9, 2022 2:52 PM
To: Alexa Morris; [email-masked]
Subject: [113attendees] If one tests positive in Vienna

Regards,

--
113attendees mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/113attendees

---

From: Dr Eberhard W Lisse <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 22:18:19 +0200

One should make sure that one's travel insurance covers quarantine
(costs) (as does mine).

el

On 2022-02-09 22:12 , Mike Bishop wrote:
> Having recently dealt with something like this in a different country,
> I can contribute an anecdote, at least.  Airlines have largely waived
> change fees in the wake of CoVID, and my experience was that the fare
> differences were minor even very close to my scheduled return home.  I
> think we paid $20 for the first delay, $8 for the second, and now
> carry a $5 credit with United for the final delay being to a
> marginally cheaper flight.
> 
> My hotel was unwilling to allow someone testing positive to remain
> there and isolate, because they aren't set up to protect staff
> cleaning your room, etc.  There were isolation hotels designated by
> the government, for quarantine-on-arrival and tested-positive
> separately; multiple tiers of hotels were available at differing
> costs.  However, the details and availability of these will vary.  The
> fixed rate included meals and the room for the mandated isolation
> period.  It would probably be wise to ask the conference hotel for
> their policy and identify any designated quarantine hotels in Vienna.
> 
> There can also be a gap between isolation guidance while in-country
> and requirements to board a flight, which are dictated by the
> destination country.  Had we stayed, we would have been required to
> isolate for several more days, but we met the requirements to return
> to the US and did so without issue.
[...]

---

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 12:55:35 -0800

I have the same questions.  In my case, I would have to travel through three countries (US, Germany, Austria), each with different rules.   Not too hard to imagine scenarios where it could take a long time to get home, worse case testing positive on the last day of the meeting.

Bob

> On Feb 9, 2022, at 11:52 AM, John R. Levine <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> While we all hope to go to Vienna and come home without incident, what happens if someone takes those many PCR tests and the result is positive?
> 
> How long do you have to quarantine?  Where can you quarantine, in the conference hotel or somewhere else?  What arrangements are there for meals?  What do you have to do to be allowed on a plane?
> 
> If this has happened to anyone, what has happened when you called an airline and said I'm supposed to fly tomrorrow but I tested positive?  I realize the basic rule is that if they don't let you fly they are supposed to refund your money but I don't want a refund, I want a flight on the first day I'm allowed to return.
> 
> Regards,

---

From: Dr Eberhard W Lisse <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 23:33:01 +0200

Bob,

Germany and Austria will in all likelihood have their Regulations
harmonized in March under the recent EU decision.

It will be not too much of a drama to collate the rules in play in the
several jurisdictions one will travel through during the meeting.  The
problem is not immigration into the US or travel within the EU, per se,
but the airlines will deny boarding.  So, one would basically keep in
mind the largest common denominator and be insured for that :-)-O

Of course social distancing, masking and disinfection are important as
well.

greetings, el

On 2022-02-09 22:55 , Bob Hinden wrote:
> I have the same questions.  In my case, I would have to travel through
> three countries (US, Germany, Austria), each with different rules.
> Not too hard to imagine scenarios where it could take a long time to
> get home, worse case testing positive on the last day of the meeting.
> 
> Bob
[...]

---

From: "Livingood, Jason" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 22:02:18 +0000

Excellent Q for Alexa and the AMS team. From what I have heard you will quarantine in your room and meals are delivered, but I do not know the particulars so will defer to the AMS team.

In any case, it seems possible that a person's quarantine period might extend beyond the end of the IETF meeting. Should attendees not have travel insurance or corporate travel support to cover those costs, the IETF LLC is prepared to provide travel-related financial and other support as needed for anyone in such a situation on a case-by-case basis. We don't want someone to feel stranded & alone and without support in this situation.

JL

---

From: "Scheffenegger, Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 00:19:37 +0100

The cost of the stay in the Hotel DeFrance, which is the designated
quarantine hotel for tourists, are picked up by the city of vienna.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotel_de_France_(Wien)

The hotel itself used to be a 5* hotel, however, while being quarantined
there you will be supplied with food and items for daily use by the
vienna chapter of the red cross - so don't expect 5* amenities. Also, I
would suspect that you are expected to stay mostly in your assigned
room, except for emergencies, and at least daily PCR tests (again, free
of charge).

It is located effectively on the other side of the Ring Road enclosing
the city center, as seen from the IETF venue.

Next to it is the (new) main university building of the Vienna
University (which, despite wikipedia claiming otherwise, is only the 2nd
oldest university with german as the primary language, founded in 1365
as the 3rd university globally; the oldest (originally) german-speaking
university resides in a city, where the IETF convened numerous times
before - in Prague).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Vienna

If you get a room overseeing the Ring Road, you can also spot parts of
the former city walls and the "Schottentor", and further down the Ring
Road, the red brick building known as Börse (Stock Exchange) - the
actual stock exchange relocated a couple years ago.
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schottentor
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiener_B%C3%B6rse_(Geb%C3%A4ude)

Finally, on the opposite side of the building, you may get a glimpse of
the Votivkirche in neo-gothic style.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Votivkirche,_Vienna

Am 09.02.2022 um 21:12 schrieb Mike Bishop:
> Having recently dealt with something like this in a different country, I
> can contribute an anecdote, at least. Airlines have largely waived
> think we paid $20 for the first delay, $8 for the second, and now carry
> a $5 credit with United for the final delay being to a marginally
> cheaper flight.
>
> My hotel was unwilling to allow someone testing positive to remain there
> and isolate, because they aren't set up to protect staff cleaning your
> room, etc. There were isolation hotels designated by the government, for
> quarantine-on-arrival and tested-positive separately; multiple tiers of
> hotels were available at differing costs. However, the details and
> availability of these will vary. The fixed rate included meals and the
> room for the mandated isolation period. It would probably be wise to ask
> the conference hotel for their policy and identify any designated
> quarantine hotels in Vienna.
>
> There can also be a gap between isolation guidance while in-country and
> requirements to board a flight, which are dictated by the destination
> country. Had we stayed, we would have been required to isolate for
> several more days, but we met the requirements to return to the US and
> did so without issue.
>
> Sent from Nine <http://www.9folders.com/>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> *From:* "John R. Levine" <[email-masked]>
> *Sent:* Wednesday, February 9, 2022 2:52 PM
> *To:* Alexa Morris; [email-masked]
> *Subject:* [113attendees] If one tests positive in Vienna
>
> Please consider the environment before reading this e-mail.
> https://jl.ly <https://jl.ly>
>
> --
> <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/113attendees>
>

---

From: "Scheffenegger, Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 00:38:16 +0100

If the PCR sampling performed on a routine basis on positive results
showed that you had the Omicron variant, it used to be 10 days
quarantine straight. But those were the rule an eon (3? weeks) ago.

Since then, the rules have been relaxed dramatically:

If you are unvaccinated (and somehow managed to sneak into Austria), the
quarantine is at least 5 days, and two consecutive negative tests. But
that will effectively never apply to anyone present in person.

If you have "full vaccination" status, two negative tests on consecutive
days before you are allowed to leave the quarantine.

But the exact details are very fluid and rapidly changing (towards
opening up pretty much everthing right now, for fully vaccinated
individuals).

So, even though your quarantine hotel is a 5* locality, with great views
all around, and paid in full by the city (but most likly no a-la carte
menu, but rather a choice between 3-4 different menus), don't get your
hopes up to enjoy this for too long...

But I understand there will be a dedicated CoVID officer at the venue,
who can be contacted and ready to deal with all eventualities and
contingencies should you run into a situation, that has to be dealt with
under the currently unknown rules at the time of the meeting.

Finally, it may be possible that fully vaccinated & boosted individuals
will become excempt from quarantine rules, by the time of the meeting.

Also, austria just eased the restrictions on large events - it is not
impossible, that may not even be required to perform daily PCR testing
to participate in the meeting, go for dinner or sightseeing - provided
that you can show a EU green pass equivalent document (e.g.
international vaccination booklet aka yellow vaccination pass, or US /
CA green pass with QR code/printout with your name and confirmation of
having had 3 shots...

---

From: "Scheffenegger, Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 00:40:42 +0100

As that cost would be covered by the city of vienna, a lack of insurance
coverage for a quarantine hotel should not be a (financial) issue.

Only the rebooking fees for your return flights may need to be covered
by an insurrance.

Only drawback - the authorities will decide, if you will be required to
stay in that 5* hotel (foreign guests without other ways to quarantine
themselves mostly will be transferred there).

---

From: John Scudder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 23:56:32 +0000

> On Feb 9, 2022, at 6:38 PM, Scheffenegger, Richard <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> or US /
> having had 3 shots…

I can’t say about Canada, but I don’t know what this “US green pass with QR code,” etc, is. To my knowledge, there’s no such thing; we have a “CDC COVID-19 Vaccination Report Card”. These are on white heavy paper, typically filled in by hand in pen (so, not even “printout with your name”), and have never met a QR code. There are any number of different private and state efforts to provide some kind of more official-looking and machine-readable thing, but no national standard beyond the CDC piece-of-paper.

I hope there’s some way of securing a pass that will be recognized within Austria, without too much trouble, on the strength of a CDC card, but so far I’m not clear on whether there is. 

—John

---

From: David Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 17:06:43 -0700

My state, for example (Colorado), has an app that will display a SMART
Health Card vaccine record. It will also show an on-device version of the
paper card. I wonder if either of these will be acceptable. Are the ones
with QR codes universal?

David

On Wed, Feb 9, 2022 at 4:56 PM John Scudder <jgs=
[email-masked]> wrote:

> I can’t say about Canada, but I don’t know what this “US green pass with
> QR code,” etc, is. To my knowledge, there’s no such thing; we have a “CDC
> COVID-19 Vaccination Report Card”. These are on white heavy paper,
> typically filled in by hand in pen (so, not even “printout with your
> name”), and have never met a QR code. There are any number of different
> private and state efforts to provide some kind of more official-looking and
> machine-readable thing, but no national standard beyond the CDC
> piece-of-paper.
>
> I hope there’s some way of securing a pass that will be recognized within
> Austria, without too much trouble, on the strength of a CDC card, but so
> far I’m not clear on whether there is.
>
> —John
>
> --

---

From: Jim Reid <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 00:11:30 +0000

> On 9 Feb 2022, at 23:56, John Scudder <jgs=[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

Maybe DHS, DoH or the State Department can enlighten you?

---

From: Henk Birkholz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 01:26:12 +0100

Not really useful to the actual issue about availability in the u.s., 
but maybe two interesting references as context:

The basis for the Electronic Health Certificate (HCERT) used in the EU 
had to be done relatively well, relatively fast - so that was done on 
github:

> https://github.com/ehn-dcc-development/hcert-spec

Essentially, it's a CWT, compressed with deflate, encoded in base45, and 
represented as a QR code.

Canada (or only Quebec?), I believe this is using this as a basis:

> https://spec.smarthealth.cards/

Similar story: based on JWT using compact JWS serialization, the JWS 
payload is stripped of whitesaces, compressed with deflate, and then 
encoded as Numerical Mode QR code.

So... JOSE and COSE ftw, I guess :-)

There are probably way more details out there that I am missing, but I 
do not attend to clutter the attendee list with that.

Viele Grüße,

Henk

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 01:45:29 +0100

On 2022-02-10, at 00:56, John Scudder <jgs=[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> I hope there’s some way of securing a pass that will be recognized within Austria

I don’t know whether this works with the weird US documentation, but in Europe generally the pharmacies are the gateway between the paper documents and the digital certificates (QR-code based).

The latter like living inside:
https://gruenerpass.gv.at/en/app/

Grüße, Carsten

---

From: Alexa Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 17:23:29 -0800

The US-based members of the Secretariat and NOC who were there last week report that a photo of their paper vaccination certificate, with photo ID (passport or driver's license) proved sufficient everywhere they visited (e.g. restaurants, bars). We recommend bringing the actual paper record on the trip, but you may be able to leave it in your hotel safe.

Alexa

> On Feb 9, 2022, at 3:56 PM, John Scudder <jgs=[email-masked]> wrote:
>

---

From: John Scudder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 01:47:55 +0000

Thank you!

—John

> On Feb 9, 2022, at 8:23 PM, Alexa Morris <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> 
>> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/113attendees__;!!NEt6yMaO-gk!V1peZ9Yw0P4SPSRW2apvJ8JxKHm06BPjE3fsTSOzZtTG0uaPgHkw8FjfBNAaJA$
>

---

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 9 Feb 2022 21:10:40 -0500

>paper card. I wonder if either of these will be acceptable. Are the ones

tl;dr Nope.

Here's a map of SMART card issuers:

https://vci.org/ (scroll down a couple of screens)

It's widely used in North America but in Europe only the UK and Macedonia.

It is a QR code of a signed JSON blob, we should be proud
that they are using many of our standards: https://spec.smarthealth.cards/

There are apps to display SMART cards on your phone, but since it's a
QR code, a copy saved as a file or a paper printout is just as good.
There is also a verifier app which will scan the QR code, check the
signature and display the contents.

The EU has a similar QR system but with the possible exception of
the UK, it's not the same.  I installed the French tousanticovide
app, pointed it at my SMART code, and it said non.  Wrong format.

Bonus tip: you can have as many US paper vax cards as you want.
Go back to the place you got vaccinated, ask politely, and they
should be able to look up the info and write out a new one
for you.

R's,
John

---

From: Alexa Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 18:33:51 -0800

What the Secretariat team was told is the following, and please keep in mind that things are changing rapidly and we are still securing additional details:

If someone tests positive for COVID, they should inform the onsite COVID officer (or a member of the Secretariat team, who will then inform the COVID officer). The attendee will be taken to the onsite quarantine room, where an antigen test will be administered. While waiting for the results, the COVID officer will also call the Austrian COVID hotline. Someone from the hotline team will either direct the COVID officer and attendee to a local PCR testing facility, or they will send someone to the hotel to perform the PCR test. The attendee will continue to quarantine in a designated hotel room during this time. Once the attendee is verified to have COVID, contact tracing begins. 

The infected attendee is then quarantined in their hotel guest room at the Hilton (or wherever they are staying). Alternatively, there is a local free quarantine hotel for travelers. The attendee is not permitted to leave their guest room, and will rely on room service for the first five days. The COVID hotline calls to check on the attendee after three days, to make sure they don't need to go to the hospital. In addition, the COVID quarantine hotline is available to answer any questions during this time. After five days the attendee may take another PCR gargle test (these are freely available) and may leave their guest room only to drop off their test at one of the dedicated drop-off locations.  Depending on the results, the quarantine will either be extended or the attendee will be permitted to move about freely and they can go about making plans to go home.

Alexa

> On Feb 9, 2022, at 2:02 PM, Livingood, Jason <[email-masked]> wrote:
>

---

From: "Eric Vyncke (evyncke)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 08:10:57 +0000

Indeed, a lot of technologies from the IETF in the US smart card and the EU green certificate[2] including draft-faltstrom-base45 (which is currently in IETF last call).

I found the whole think fascinating and could not resist to write a decoder [1] for US/EU with technical explanations:
https://ehealth.vyncke.org/index.php

Have fun 

-éric

[1] and I keep receiving daily emails about can you modify my QR-code ;-) which is mission impossible w/o the private keys
[2] have a look at which country issued the certificate (usually a EU member state) and in which country the vaccination/test took place (any ISO country code)

On 10/02/2022, 01:26, "113attendees on behalf of Henk Birkholz" <[email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]> wrote:

    Viele Grüße,

    Henk

---

From: Eberhard W Lisse <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 10:19:33 +0200

Cool :-)-O

el

On 10/02/2022 10:10, Eric Vyncke (evyncke) wrote:
> Indeed, a lot of technologies from the IETF in the US smart card and
> the EU green certificate[2] including draft-faltstrom-base45 (which is
> currently in IETF last call).
> 
> I found the whole think fascinating and could not resist to write a
> decoder [1] for US/EU with technical explanations:
[...]

---

From: Eberhard W Lisse <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 10:41:09 +0200

John,

just a small technicality, the UK does not belong to the EU (any
longer, hint: google "brexit" :-)))-O).

The UK version is indeed not compatible with the EU Digital Certificate
as a friend of mine found out in Ireland so he always had to unpack his
hardcopy :-)-O

As I wrote previously one can attempt to have the vaccination
"transferred" into an EU Certificate, the QR code of which DOES work in
the Austrian Green Pass app, the German blue Covid app and the
TousAntiCovid app (just tested :-)-O)

Therefor IETF (local) staff could/should really try and make an
arrangement with local authorities.

greetings, el

On 10/02/2022 04:10, John Levine wrote:
[...]
> The EU has a similar QR system but with the possible exception of the
> UK, it's not the same.  I installed the French tousanticovide app,
> pointed it at my SMART code, and it said non.  Wrong format.
[...]

---

From: Cathy Almond <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 08:51:17 +0000

> TousAntiCovid app (just tested :-)-O)

The UK pass is supposed to be compatible now?

https://www.nhsx.nhs.uk/covid-19-response/eu-gateway/

(But it sounds like this should not be relied-upon)

Cathy

---

From: Eberhard W Lisse <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 10:58:05 +0200

The trip was in October and it could well be that this has changed by now.

el

[...]

---

From: Eberhard W Lisse <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 11:14:12 +0200

Found

	 https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work-travel-eu/coronavirus-response/safe-covid-19-vaccines-europeans/eu-digital-covid-certificate_en

which shows:

	 The COVID certificates issued in those 33 countries (and
	 territories) are accepted in the EU under the same conditions as the
	 EU Digital COVID Certificate.  Likewise, the EU Digital COVID
	 Certificate is accepted by those 33 countries.

	 Albania
	 Andorra
	 Armenia
	 Cabo Verde
	 El Salvador
	 Faroe Islands
	 Georgia
	 Iceland
	 Israel
	 Lebanon
	 Liechtenstein
	 Moldova
	 Monaco
	 Montenegro
	 Morocco
	 New Zealand
	 North Macedonia
	 Norway
	 Panama
	 San Marino
	 Serbia
	 Singapore
	 Switzerland
	 Taiwan
	 Thailand
	 The Vatican
	 Togo
	 Tunisia
	 Turkey
	 Ukraine
	 United Arab Emirates
	 United Kingdom and the Crown Dependencies (Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man)
	 Uruguay

greetings, el

---

From: Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 10:18:16 +0100

Le 10/02/2022 à 00:38, Scheffenegger, Richard a écrit :
> that you can show a EU green pass equivalent document

It might be that even the cert might be no loger required at the time, 
says me following the disappearance of the cert in various places 
outside Austria (UK, France maybe).

Alex

  (e.g.
>> Excellent Q for Alexa and the AMS team. From what I have heard you 
>> will quarantine in your room and meals are delivered, but I do not 
>> know the particulars so will defer to the AMS team.
>>
>> In any case, it seems possible that a person's quarantine period might 
>> extend beyond the end of the IETF meeting. Should attendees not have 
>> travel insurance or corporate travel support to cover those costs, the 
>> IETF LLC is prepared to provide travel-related financial and other 
>> support as needed for anyone in such a situation on a case-by-case 
>> basis. We don't want someone to feel stranded & alone and without 
>> support in this situation.
>>
>> JL
>>
>

---

From: "Olle E. Johansson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 10:49:22 +0100

> On 10 Feb 2022, at 09:41, Eberhard W Lisse <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> John,
> 

That would be Northern Ireland.
In Ireland I imported my Swedish cert into the Irish app without a problem.
And they could scan the cert in my Apple Wallet too.
Interoperability FTW.

/O

---

From: Eberhard W Lisse <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 12:23:20 +0200

Nope, that was Dublin :-)-O End of October and they changed this in
November so I assume now he could impout his UK/NHS cert into any guven
EU app.

But free movement of goods and services is cool :-)-O

el

On 10/02/2022 11:49, Olle E. Johansson wrote:
[...]
> That would be Northern Ireland.  In Ireland I imported my Swedish cert
> into the Irish app without a problem.  And they could scan the cert in
> my Apple Wallet too.  Interoperability FTW.
[...]

---

From: Jan Zorz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 13:01:09 +0100

On 10/02/2022 00:56, John Scudder wrote:> I hope there’s some way of securing a
pass that will be recognized within
> Austria, without too much trouble, on the strength of a CDC card, but so far
> I’m not clear on whether there is.

Hey,

I suggest that you download on your iPhone or Android the QR code scanner that
is used by officials and security personnel in Austria to scan the code at the
entrance for validity and check it with your code when/if you have it.

Can't talk for Austria which app is official scanner there, for Slovenia (we are
neighbours) is "Preverjanje"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=si.nijz.covid

Maybe our Austrian friends can help here with scanner choice to test people's codes.

Cheers, Jan Zorz

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-- 
Anything that can be configured can be misconfigured. [RFC5505]

---

From: "Scheffenegger, Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 13:20:37 +0100

All the Apps provided in any EU country will be able to validate the QR
code privided by any other EU country.

Non-EU QR codes will NOT work (as has been pointed out here before).

Bring a physcial (paper) document about your vaccination status (ideally
the WHO yellow booklet ("International Certificate of Vaccination or
Prophylaxis") - or any other paper showing the vaccine/batch number,
date of administration and signature/stamp of the doctor - to cross the
border. With or without recent PCR test result (depending on carrier
rules, and if you are boostered / 3-shots, or not).

However, once in the country, actual checks in restaurants etc are
typically done only casually.

Just called the relevant agency (ARGES): The EU QR code is bound to a
social security number issues in the EU country of residence.
Visitors/Tourists who do not have a social security number from any of
the EU member states will not be able to get a QR code.

The recommendation is, to have all forms of documentation on hand, that
proof the vaccination status.

Als Alexa mentioned earlier, scans or even QR codes (which would not
work using the local app) will typically suffice for normal businesses,
venues, restaurants. Entry checks at the border will need the original
documentation.

But as the rules have changed twices over the last 4 weeks, and it's
still about 5 weeks before the meeting, expect the rules to change a few
more times.

Richard

---

From: Vittorio Bertola <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 14:06:10 +0100 (CET)

> Il 10/02/2022 02:23 Alexa Morris <[email-masked]> ha scritto:
>  

Austria might be more rigorous, but the practical situation in Italy is that a good half of the restaurants will not check your pass with the app anyway. They ask you if you're vaccinated and trust your word, or they have a vague glance at your screen/paper and say "ok", or (a minority, but a significant one) they actively ignore or boycott the pass requirement for commercial and political reasons. It's frequent to see passes being checked only to the people that show them voluntarily before anyone asks.

-- 
Vittorio Bertola | Head of Policy & Innovation, Open-Xchange
[email-masked] 
Office @ Via Treviso 12, 10144 Torino, Italy

---

From: "Joel M. Halpern" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 09:34:45 -0500

Unfortunately, in the US the approaches vary from state to state.

For those in Virginia, the Virginia Department of Health provides a pdf 
which includes the US QR code (not useful in Europe) and the date, type, 
batch number, etc of your vaccine administration(s).

Yours,
Joel

---

From: Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 14:49:23 +0000

> the EU member states will not be able to get a QR code.
This may be true in Austria, but note that those who will visit other
countries before IETF 113 may be able to do so while there. The French
system allows a visitor to present their documents at a pharmacy and have
them uploaded to the national system, so that they can use tousanticovid.
There is even a pharmacy within CDG (and some in the public areas as
well):  https://www.parisaeroport.fr/en/passengers/services/pharmacies .

best regards,

Ted Hardie

---

From: "Scheffenegger, Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 17:29:56 +0100

This is the effective state of the art over here too...

Strictly speaking, my QR code has never been properly vetted (scanned,
and name checked against photo ID), despite more heavy fines and checks
got implemented during the rise of the current (now Omicron) wave.

Thus I think that the critical point will be the checks when boarding
the plane and crossing the border control.