Subject: Re: [113attendees] public transport

From: "Eric Vyncke (evyncke)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 10:11:42 +0000

Richard

Any update / confirmation on the information that you kindly sent us ?

Regards

-éric

-----Original Message-----
From: 113attendees <[email-masked]> on behalf of "Scheffenegger, Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tuesday, 8 February 2022 at 11:17
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Subject: [113attendees] public transport

    Just wanted to give people a short heads up:

    The Hilton Vienna Park is located right next to the Subway and S-Bahn
    (Fast Commuter Rail). Confusingly to non-locals, the Subway station is
    called "Landstraße / Wien Mitte", while the S-Bahn station is only known
    as "Wien Mitte" (Vienna Central). And yes, the "Wien Mitte" got added
    later to the subway station name, to be less confusing.

     From the Airport, there are two direct train lines - the less
    expensive, marginally slower S-Bahn with stops in all the commuter
    stations, and the direct connection with the CAT Line. Note that the CAT
    uses a different ticketing/billing system - while the S-Bahn can be used
    with "VOR" tickets, which can be used in the larger Vienna Metropolitan
    region.

    Note that while the travel time itself may be slightly longer with S7,
    the trains are staggered such, that whichever one is leaving sooner will
    also arrive faster. There used to be 2 CAT services per hour, 2 S7
    services, plus 1-2 ICE services operating the city/airport line, for an
    average waiting time of around 10 min.

    CAT trains depart at the airport (when running) at 08 and 38 min past
    top of the hour. (See below for other trains)

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_Airport_Train

    CAT Services are currently suspended, but it is not unreasonable to
    expect that to resume by the time of the IETF. (Airport Luggage can be
    checked in directly at the train station Wien Mitte, if you take that
    option).

    A two-way ticket on the CAT is priced €19(online prepurchase) /
    €21(vending machine).

    These CAT tickets can be bought in combination with some of the VOR
    multi-day tickets (see below) online or at the vending machine.

    Going with the "regular" train - S-Bahn , or at times the ICE, the
    airport is 1 zone away from the city. If you happen to end up in the ICE
    (same price to go to the city), you will have to change on the first
    stop (Wien Hauptbahnhof / Vienna Main Station) to the S-Bahn towards
    Floridsdorf - this is a short hike and two or three floors down from
    where the main trains arrive. Taking the ICE really is no sigificant
    time difference, as that train also runs directly into the city, and the
    "main" S-Bahn line runs at a 3-5 min interval (20 min during the night),
    and as long as you choose the correct platform towards Floridsdorf, any
    S-Bahn or commuter train will go through "Wien Mitte".

    For those who are train afficianados, here is the official ÖBB line
    table on the rail between vienna and the airport (907):

    https://www.oebb.at/de/dam/jcr:f51bb135-a368-4fd2-a3c0-b3688d799aa3/kif907.pdf

    VOR ticketed trains are running at 03, 11, 19, 33, 41 and 46 minutes.
    The 03 / 33 service is the one via Vienna Main Station, the other four
    will run directly via Wien Mitte / Vienna Central.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vienna_S-Bahn

    VOR ticket can be calculated and prepaid here:

    https://shop.vor.at/

    Price for a single trip Airport-City is €4,80 (or €9,60 for both ways).

    If you plan to use public transport in the city throughout the week, you
    can combine a single-trip ticket (airport to city limits) with a 2-day,
    3-day, 8-day (non-consecutive), week (consecutive) or monthly pass valid
    in the city center:

    https://preisauskunft.vor.at/current/index.html
    48h ticket: €14.1
    72h ticket: €17.1
    1 week ticket: €17.1 (ends on Monday 9:00 morning the week after
    invalidation)
    8 day ticket: €40.8 (each day needs to be invalidated individually.
    Multiple persons can "share" this ticket but have to travel as a group.
    All the above tickets are not individalized and can be used (at
    different times) by a different person.

    Month's pass €51 (I believe this one is only valid for a specifc person,
    and has to be bought in a VOR ticket shop - located at major stations.

    The least cost option to cover the week of the IETF is probably:
    1 single ticket (€2.4) airport to city limits
    48/72hr/week ticket within city limits until Monday 09:00 (14.1/17.1)
    1 week ticket coverig the actual IETF week (17.1)
    1 single ticket returning to the airport (on top of the still valid week
    ticket) (€2.4)

    Total cost €39 arriving between Mon 14.3 .. Fri 18.3, or €36 arriving
    Sat/Sun 19.3 / 20.3, or €21.9 arriving Mon 21.3.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vienna_U-Bahn

    -- 
    113attendees mailing list
    [email-masked]
    https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/113attendees

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 06:41:48 -0400

> Any update / confirmation on the information that you kindly sent us ?

The CAT was still not running on thursday morning.
The green CAT ticketing terminals are on but seemed locked, so don't be confused.

I used the regular (red) VOR/OBB ticketing machine.
The train was on track 3.  Of course, it was the *other* platform from the
one I used to buy my ticket.  The ride in on REX7 was simple and easy.

I got the 1-week ticket, since Thu/Fri/Sat/Sun is more than 72 hours.
I got, I think, the airport-zone upgrade, but I might not have done that
right.  I found the kiosk interface a bit slow and annoying. Patience.

    >     The least cost option to cover the week of the IETF is probably: 1
    > single ticket (€2.4) airport to city limits

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-

---

From: Tony Finch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 11:22:47 +0000

> The CAT was still not running on thursday morning.

It isn't due to re-open until the 29th. (Great timing!)
https://www.cityairporttrain.com/en/home

-- 
Tony Finch  <[email-masked]>  https://dotat.at/
Trafalgar: Northeast 4 or 5, becoming variable 2 to 4, then east 5 or
6 later near strait of gibraltar. Rough, occasionally moderate. Fair.
Good.

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 20:16:45 +0000

TH: I've updated the wiki page to reflect said great timing in big, bold letters. :)

---

From: Joachim Fabini <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 10:36:40 +0100

>> The CAT was still not running on thursday morning.

Why the CAT? The RailJets (RJ or RJX) are at least as comfortable and 
cheaper, take about 15 minutes to Vienna main station (Hauptbahnhof) and 
about 5 more to Wien Meidling - both stations are  perfectly connected 
to the subway, tram and bus services.

Btw, useful websites for public transport:

Vienna region routing:
https://anachb.vor.at/
-> English as language well-hidden at the top left (Menu)
Support for address-based and door-to-door routing.

Austrian and international trains: https://fahrplan.oebb.at/
-> English at the top left menu, then scroll down.

The "Wien Mobil" app can be used for routing within Vienna, too.

Airport to city
-> enter "Flughafen Wien Bahnhof" as departure station
-> enter your hotel (or "Wien Hauptbahnhof" for Vienna main station or 
"Wien Meidling" as destination.

A one-way ticket with RJ or other trains from Vienna Airport currently 
costs EUR 4.30 and is valid for a one-way journey to any location in 
Vienna (tickets can be purchased using the red ticket machines at the 
entrance of any railway or subway station).

For available tickets within Vienna (one-way, one-day, one-week passes) 
see https://vor.at/

regards
Joachim

---

From: "Elmar K. Bins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 11:00:38 +0100

[email-masked] (Joachim Fabini) wrote:

> about 5 more to Wien Meidling - both stations are  perfectly connected to
> the subway, tram and bus services.

Because it's not where people (from out of town mind you) want to go - they are
likely to have accomodations close to the venue, which is right across Wien
Mitte.

That said - just use the S-Bahn S7, which will drop you off right there.
Unless, of course, you want to go to the central station.

The rest you've summed up nicely (although I'd recommend using the ticket
machines instead of trying to fumble it online).

Elmar (also local)

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 06:41:17 -0400

> cheaper, take about 15 minutes to Vienna main station (Hauptbahnhof)
    > and about 5 more to Wien Meidling - both stations are perfectly
    > connected to the subway, tram and bus services.

I totally agree... I mentioned it was still down only because people might
try to take it, fail, and then not use public transit at all.

-- 
]               Never tell me the odds!                 | ipv6 mesh networks [ 
]   Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works        | network architect  [ 
]     [email-masked]  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [

---

From: "Scheffenegger, Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 13:56:08 +0100

This information should all still be correct.

---

From: NA-NiC <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 14:30:39 +0100

Would have been nice on the way back to drop the bag off…

greetings, el

—
Sent from Dr Lisse’s iPhone/iPad

---

From: "Scheffenegger, Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 15:50:55 +0100

FYI - due to the higher than usual temperatures, the apricot trees in
the famous Wachau area will start blossoming this week, according to
https://www.weinbergwandern.at/magazin/wanderungen-zur-marillenbluete/

This is not quite as of high cultural significance as the cherry
blossoming in JP, but still quite nice.

For those interested, the Wachau area is upstream of Vienna alonge the
river danbue, between Krems and Melk. River cruise ships as well as
Trains can be used to travel there. The river in that area is considered
a mountain stream - fast flowing with lots of turbulence. Don't fall in.

(Also, the Stift Dürnstein - and in the hills above, the former castle
where Richard the Lionhearted was jailed - starting the Robin Hood saga
- is in the middle of Wachau.)

Best regards,
   Richard

---

From: NA-NiC <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 19:43:26 +0100

Really no drama, had bought me the Vienna City Card, to activate on arrival, bought a ticket for the RailJet to Central Station at the vending machine, and then hopped onto the U1 to Karlsplatz where I stay at the Motel-One.

Both Google Maps and Maps.ME showed the same and correct information how to do that.

U1 then through the week for a couple or three hops to the Hilton.

Easy Peasy.

PS: Kaiserschmarrn done, so now for the T-Shirt :-)-O

el

—
> > Any update / confirmation on the information that you kindly sent us ?
[…]