Subject: [16ng] 16ng charter - updated

From: Soohong Daniel Park <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 06:21:43 +0900

Here is the updated 16ng charter. Please take a 
look at it and let us know your comments if any.

IP over IEEE 802.16 Networks (16ng)
===================================

Description of Working Group:

Broadband Wireless Access Networks address the inadequacies of low
bandwidth wireless communication for user requirements such as high
quality data/voice service, wide coverage, etc. The IEEE 802.16
Working Group on Broadband Wireless Access Standards develops
standards and recommended practices to support the development and
deployment of Broadband Wireless Metropolitan Area Networks.

A particularity of IEEE 802.16 is that it does not include a rigid 
upper edge MAC service interface. Instead, it provides multiple 
"Convergence Sublayers (CS)" with the assumption that the choice 
and configuration of the upper edge will be done in accordance 
with the needs of a specific deployment environment (which might
be DSL replacement, mobile access, 802.11 or CDMA backhaul etc.). 

Specifically, immediately subsequent to network entry, an 802.16
subscriber station has no capability whatsoever for data (as opposed
to management) connectivity. Especially, in IP CS case, the criteria
by which the Base Station (or other headend elements) sets up the
802.16 MAC connections for data transport are not part of the 802.16
standard, and depend on the type of data services being offered
(e.g., the set up of link layer connections will be different
for IPv4 and IPv6 services).

Additionally - as IEEE 802.16 is a point-to-multipoint network -
an 802.16 subscriber station is not capable of multicasting (e.g.,
for neighbor discovery, ARP, IP multicasting services, etc.) or
direct communication to the other nodes attached to the same
Base Station within the same subnet (prefix).

Unlike 3G or xDSL technologies, IEEE 802.16 is not part of an 
end-to-end system definition. Currently, the WiMAX Forum, and, 
in particular, its NWG (Network Working Group) is defining the 
IEEE 802.16 network architecture. Also, other standards bodies 
are carrying out similar efforts (e.g., WiBro-Wireless Broadband 
in Korea).

The principal objective of the 16ng working group is to specify the
operation of IPv4 and IPv6 over IEEE 802.16, taking into account the
IPv4, IPv6 and Ethernet Convergence Sublayers. The working group may
issue recommendations to IEEE 802.16 aiming at improving support
for IP.

The scope of this working group is as follows (WG Deliverables);

- Produce "16ng Problem Statement, Goal and Requirement" to identify 
the specific gaps in the 802.16 MAC for IPv4/IPv6 support, describe
possible network models (ie. point-to-point, broadcast etc.), and 
provide 16ng related terminology to be used for the base guideline 
while defining solution frameworks. [Informational RFC]

- Produce "IPv6 over IEEE 802.16 Networks in conjunction with IPv6 CS"
to define IPv6 operation including the transmission of IPv6 over IEEE 
802.16 link, Neighbor Discovery Protocol, Stateful (DHCPv6) and 
Stateless Address Configuration, Broadcast, Multicast, etc. 
[Proposed Standard RFC]

- Produce "IPv4 over IEEE 802.16 Networks in conjunction with IPv4 CS"
to define IPv4 operation including the transmission of IPv4 over IEEE 
802.16 links, ARP operation, Stateful Address Configuration (DHCPv4), 
Broadcast, Multicast, etc [Proposed Standard RFC]

- Produce "IPv6 over IEEE 802.16 Networks in conjunction with Ethernet 
CS" to define IPv6 operation including the transmission of IPv6 over 
IEEE 802.16 link, Neighbor Discovery Protocol, Stateful (DHCPv6) and 
Stateless Address Configuration, Broadcast, Multicast, etc. 
[Informational RFC]

- Produce "IPv4 over IEEE 802.16 Networks in conjunction with Ethernet 
CS" to define IPv4 operation including the transmission of IPv4 over 
IEEE 802.16 links, ARP operation, Stateful Address Configuration 
(DHCPv4), Broadcast, Multicast, etc [Informational RFC]

- Produce "IP deployment over IEEE 802.16 Networks" to illustrate the 
IP deployment scenarios including IP CS and Ethernet CS considerations 
over IEEE 802.16 networks based on the WiMAX and WiBro. 
[Informational RFC]

16ng will not initially consider other work items than the ones listed
above; however, other works related to improved IP over 16ng may occur
in other relevant WGs, and 16ng will participate and help coordinate
with such efforts.

This working group will take dual stack operation into account
in its specifications, and reuse existing specifications whenever
reasonable and possible. 

Goals and Milestones:

Jul 06 Submit Internet-Draft on 16ng Problem Statement, Goal and
       Requirement to IESG for considerations of publication as 
       Informational RFC

Sep 06 Submit Internet-Draft on IPv6 over IPv6 CS transmission over 
       IEEE 802.16 networks to IESG for consideration of publication 
       as Proposed Standard RFC

Oct 06 Submit Internet-Draft on IPv4 over IPv4 CS transmission over IEEE 
       802.16 to IESG for consideration of publication as Proposed 
       Standard RFC

Nov 06 Submit Internet-Draft on IPv4 over Ethernet CS transmission over 
       IEEE 802.16 networks to IESG for consideration of publications as 
       Informational RFC

Dec 06 Submit Internet-Draft on IPv6 over Ethernet CS transmission over 
       IEEE 802.16 networks to IESG for consideration of publication as 
       Informational RFC

Feb 07 Submit Internet-Draft on IP deployment over IEEE 802.16 networks 
       to IESG for consideration of publication as Informational RFC

Daniel (Soohong Daniel Park)
Mobile Convergence Laboratory, SAMSUNG Electronics.
>From [email-masked] Fri May 19 03:03:50 2006
Content-class: urn:content-classes:message
Subject: RE: [16ng] 16ng charter - updated
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 19:10:24 +0200
From: "Riegel, Maximilian" <[email-masked]>
To: "Soohong Daniel Park" <[email-masked]>
cc: [email-masked]

Daniel,

I do not understand the reason, why the IP-CS RFCs should become PS and
the IPoETH-CS RFCs should become Informational. Both solutions are
equally deployed in the market for different application scenarios
requesting the one or the other. The RFC 'IP deployment over IEEE802.16
networks' will show the particular application areas of the one and the
other. There is no one-fits-all solution for the choice of the
convergence sublayer.

Bye
Max

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Soohong Daniel
Park
Sent: Wednesday, May 17, 2006 11:22 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [16ng] 16ng charter - updated

Here is the updated 16ng charter. Please take a 
look at it and let us know your comments if any.

IP over IEEE 802.16 Networks (16ng)
===================================

Description of Working Group:

Broadband Wireless Access Networks address the inadequacies of low
bandwidth wireless communication for user requirements such as high
quality data/voice service, wide coverage, etc. The IEEE 802.16
Working Group on Broadband Wireless Access Standards develops
standards and recommended practices to support the development and
deployment of Broadband Wireless Metropolitan Area Networks.

A particularity of IEEE 802.16 is that it does not include a rigid 
upper edge MAC service interface. Instead, it provides multiple 
"Convergence Sublayers (CS)" with the assumption that the choice 
and configuration of the upper edge will be done in accordance 
with the needs of a specific deployment environment (which might
be DSL replacement, mobile access, 802.11 or CDMA backhaul etc.). 

Specifically, immediately subsequent to network entry, an 802.16
subscriber station has no capability whatsoever for data (as opposed
to management) connectivity. Especially, in IP CS case, the criteria
by which the Base Station (or other headend elements) sets up the
802.16 MAC connections for data transport are not part of the 802.16
standard, and depend on the type of data services being offered
(e.g., the set up of link layer connections will be different
for IPv4 and IPv6 services).

Additionally - as IEEE 802.16 is a point-to-multipoint network -
an 802.16 subscriber station is not capable of multicasting (e.g.,
for neighbor discovery, ARP, IP multicasting services, etc.) or
direct communication to the other nodes attached to the same
Base Station within the same subnet (prefix).

Unlike 3G or xDSL technologies, IEEE 802.16 is not part of an 
end-to-end system definition. Currently, the WiMAX Forum, and, 
in particular, its NWG (Network Working Group) is defining the 
IEEE 802.16 network architecture. Also, other standards bodies 
are carrying out similar efforts (e.g., WiBro-Wireless Broadband 
in Korea).

The principal objective of the 16ng working group is to specify the
operation of IPv4 and IPv6 over IEEE 802.16, taking into account the
IPv4, IPv6 and Ethernet Convergence Sublayers. The working group may
issue recommendations to IEEE 802.16 aiming at improving support
for IP.

The scope of this working group is as follows (WG Deliverables);

- Produce "16ng Problem Statement, Goal and Requirement" to identify 
the specific gaps in the 802.16 MAC for IPv4/IPv6 support, describe
possible network models (ie. point-to-point, broadcast etc.), and 
provide 16ng related terminology to be used for the base guideline 
while defining solution frameworks. [Informational RFC]

- Produce "IPv6 over IEEE 802.16 Networks in conjunction with IPv6 CS"
to define IPv6 operation including the transmission of IPv6 over IEEE 
802.16 link, Neighbor Discovery Protocol, Stateful (DHCPv6) and 
Stateless Address Configuration, Broadcast, Multicast, etc. 
[Proposed Standard RFC]

- Produce "IPv4 over IEEE 802.16 Networks in conjunction with IPv4 CS"
to define IPv4 operation including the transmission of IPv4 over IEEE 
802.16 links, ARP operation, Stateful Address Configuration (DHCPv4), 
Broadcast, Multicast, etc [Proposed Standard RFC]

- Produce "IPv6 over IEEE 802.16 Networks in conjunction with Ethernet 
CS" to define IPv6 operation including the transmission of IPv6 over 
IEEE 802.16 link, Neighbor Discovery Protocol, Stateful (DHCPv6) and 
Stateless Address Configuration, Broadcast, Multicast, etc. 
[Informational RFC]

- Produce "IPv4 over IEEE 802.16 Networks in conjunction with Ethernet 
CS" to define IPv4 operation including the transmission of IPv4 over 
IEEE 802.16 links, ARP operation, Stateful Address Configuration 
(DHCPv4), Broadcast, Multicast, etc [Informational RFC]

- Produce "IP deployment over IEEE 802.16 Networks" to illustrate the 
IP deployment scenarios including IP CS and Ethernet CS considerations 
over IEEE 802.16 networks based on the WiMAX and WiBro. 
[Informational RFC]

16ng will not initially consider other work items than the ones listed
above; however, other works related to improved IP over 16ng may occur
in other relevant WGs, and 16ng will participate and help coordinate
with such efforts.

This working group will take dual stack operation into account
in its specifications, and reuse existing specifications whenever
reasonable and possible. 

Goals and Milestones:

Jul 06 Submit Internet-Draft on 16ng Problem Statement, Goal and
       Requirement to IESG for considerations of publication as 
       Informational RFC

Sep 06 Submit Internet-Draft on IPv6 over IPv6 CS transmission over 
       IEEE 802.16 networks to IESG for consideration of publication 
       as Proposed Standard RFC

Oct 06 Submit Internet-Draft on IPv4 over IPv4 CS transmission over IEEE

       802.16 to IESG for consideration of publication as Proposed 
       Standard RFC

Nov 06 Submit Internet-Draft on IPv4 over Ethernet CS transmission over 
       IEEE 802.16 networks to IESG for consideration of publications as

       Informational RFC

Dec 06 Submit Internet-Draft on IPv6 over Ethernet CS transmission over 
       IEEE 802.16 networks to IESG for consideration of publication as 
       Informational RFC

Feb 07 Submit Internet-Draft on IP deployment over IEEE 802.16 networks 
       to IESG for consideration of publication as Informational RFC

Daniel (Soohong Daniel Park)
Mobile Convergence Laboratory, SAMSUNG Electronics.
_______________________________________________
16ng mailing list
[email-masked]
http://eeca16.sogang.ac.kr/mailman/listinfo/16ng