Subject: RE: [16ng] WG Adoption : draft-riegel-16ng-ip-over-eth-over-80216-01

From: "Hongseok Jeon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 19:37:53 +0900

Hello DJ, 

Sorry for too late response. 

We have fixed our document with your editorial comments. 

Thank you for your comments. 

And I would like to clarify your ambiguity about Section 7.1.  

As you mentioned, all IP traffic is carried over unicast CID. 

Specially, broadcast and multicast IP traffic are replicated and transmitted
via IEEE802.16 unicast connection. 

Best Regards, 

Hongseok. 

  _____  

From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of David Johnston
Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2006 12:21 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [16ng] WG Adoption :
draft-riegel-16ng-ip-over-eth-over-80216-01

Comments on draft-riegel-16ng-ip-over-eth-over-80216-01.

A little cleanup. Change

3.

   Service-specific Convergence Sublayer (CS):  Sublayer in the IEEE 802.16

      MAC layer which classifiers external network data and associates

      them to the proper MAC service flow identifier and connection

      identifier

7.1 s/feeded/fed/

7.1 I don't understand the text mandating unicasting to the SS. I think it
is ambiguous as to which layers address with unicast addresses and which
address with multicast addresses. There are 3 that matter.

1) The 802.16 MAC CPS, that has unicast and multicast CIDs.  

2) The 802.3 CS service that carries unicast, broadcast and multicast 48 bit
MAC addresses

3) The IP layer that carries unicast, broadcast and multicast v4 and v6
addresses.

Which of these is being constrained to be unicast? (1) is already
constrained by text earlier in the document.

Broadcast IP traffic should be carried on a broadcast MAC address over a
unicast connection. 802.1D specifies the meaning of a point-to-point LAN in
the context of bridging and 802.16k specifies that a pair of communicating
802.16 CSs are in fact such a point-to-point LAN. So this text perhaps
should specify that all IP traffic, regardless of address type is carried
over Ethernet packets that are carried over unicast CIDs at the 802.16 MAC
CPS sublayer.

DJ

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Soohong Daniel Park
Sent: Tuesday, November 07, 2006 3:02 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [16ng] WG Adoption : draft-riegel-16ng-ip-over-eth-over-80216-01

Hi folks,

During the meeting today, we had consensus that the Transmission of IP

Packets over Ethernet over IEEE 802.16 would be accepted as a WG

draft.

The relevant WG deliverables are described in our charter:

- Produce "IPv6 over IEEE 802.16 Networks in conjunction with Ethernet

CS" to define IPv6 operation including the transmission of IPv6 over

IEEE 802.16 link, Neighbor Discovery Protocol, Stateful (DHCPv6) and

Stateless Address Configuration, Broadcast, Multicast, etc. [Proposed

Standard RFC]

- Produce "IPv4 over IEEE 802.16 Networks in conjunction with Ethernet

CS" to define IPv4 operation including the transmission of IPv4 over

IEEE 802.16 links, ARP operation, Stateful Address Configuration

(DHCPv4), Broadcast, Multicast, etc [Proposed Standard RFC]

The latest version of this document can be found at:

http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-riegel-16ng-ip-over-eth-over-80216-
01.txt

NOTE: Both IPv4 and IPv6 are merged into the one document following

the WG consensus and AD's approval.

Unless there are any strong objections from the ML, we'll ask the

author to publish the next version as a WG I-D.

Thanks,

Gabriel & Daniel

Chairs, 16NG Working Group

_______________________________________________

16ng mailing list

[email-masked]

http://eeca16.sogang.ac.kr/mailman/listinfo/16ng

---

From: "David Johnston" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 10:10:34 -0800

Hongseok,

The ambiguity I perceived in 7.1 was as follows..

"Broadcast or all-nodes multicast data such as router advertisements are
unicasted to intended SS via the point-to-point connection.

"

So if I have a broadcast IP packet to send over 802.16 it gets
'unicasted' to the SS via the point to point connection. So what
addresses do I use? The MAC address setting is unclear? Did the above
text mandate it be unicast, or did it say nothing on the matter.

IP Address                    : Broadcast

802 MAC Address          : ????/unicast

802.16 MAC                  : unicast transport CID.

I think it is better to be clear that the text is saying nothing on the
matter. Then the default rules for IP addr -> MAC address mapping would
apply.

Maybe..

"Broadcast or all-nodes multicast data such as router advertisements
shall be carried to the intended SS via unicast 802.16 transport
connections.

"

________________________________

From: Hongseok Jeon [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, December 04, 2006 2:38 AM
To: David Johnston
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [16ng] WG Adoption :
draft-riegel-16ng-ip-over-eth-over-80216-01

Hello DJ, 

Specially, broadcast and multicast IP traffic are replicated and
transmitted via IEEE802.16 unicast connection. 

Best Regards, 

Hongseok. 

________________________________

Comments on draft-riegel-16ng-ip-over-eth-over-80216-01...

A little cleanup. Change

3.

   Service-specific Convergence Sublayer (CS):  Sublayer in the IEEE
802.16

      identifier

7.1 s/feeded/fed/

7.1 I don't understand the text mandating unicasting to the SS. I think
it is ambiguous as to which layers address with unicast addresses and
which address with multicast addresses. There are 3 that matter.

2) The 802.3 CS service that carries unicast, broadcast and multicast 48
bit MAC addresses

Broadcast IP traffic should be carried on a broadcast MAC address over a
unicast connection. 802.1D specifies the meaning of a point-to-point LAN
in the context of bridging and 802.16k specifies that a pair of
communicating 802.16 CSs are in fact such a point-to-point LAN. So this
text perhaps should specify that all IP traffic, regardless of address
type is carried over Ethernet packets that are carried over unicast CIDs
at the 802.16 MAC CPS sublayer.

DJ

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Soohong Daniel
Park
Sent: Tuesday, November 07, 2006 3:02 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [16ng] WG Adoption :
draft-riegel-16ng-ip-over-eth-over-80216-01

Hi folks,

draft.

Standard RFC]

http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-riegel-16ng-ip-over-eth-over-80
216-01.txt

Thanks,

Gabriel & Daniel

16ng mailing list

[email-masked]

---

From: "Hongseok Jeon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 17:31:26 +0900

DJ, 

That is a good point. 

We need to be clear the text. 

Our document, of course, follows the address mapping rules specified in
[RFC0894], [RFC2464] 

IP Address                    : broadcast/multicast/unicast

802 MAC Address         : broadcast/multicast/unicast

Thanks for your point. 

Hongseok. 

  _____  

From: David Johnston [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, December 05, 2006 3:11 AM
To: Hongseok Jeon
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [16ng] WG Adoption :
draft-riegel-16ng-ip-over-eth-over-80216-01

Hongseok,

"

So if I have a broadcast IP packet to send over 802.16 it gets 'unicasted'
to the SS via the point to point connection. So what addresses do I use? The
MAC address setting is unclear? Did the above text mandate it be unicast, or
did it say nothing on the matter.

IP Address                    : Broadcast

Maybe..

"Broadcast or all-nodes multicast data such as router advertisements shall
be carried to the intended SS via unicast 802.16 transport connections.

"

  _____  

Hello DJ, 

Best Regards, 

Hongseok. 

  _____  

A little cleanup. Change

3.

      identifier

7.1 s/feeded/fed/

DJ

-----Original Message-----

Hi folks,

draft.

Standard RFC]

Thanks,

Gabriel & Daniel

16ng mailing list

[email-masked]