Subject: [16ng] proposed charter in text

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 23:38:22 +0200

In case people have access problems or don't have
word. This is taken from the link posted earlier to the
list. Not sure if the chairs have edited it later.

IPv6 over IEEE 802.16(e) Networks (16ng)

Last Modified: 2005-10-18

Chair(s):
Soohong Daniel Park<[email-masked]>
Gabriel Montenegro<[email-masked]>

Internet Area Director(s):
Mark Townsly<[email-masked]>
Margaret Wasserman<[email-masked]>

Technical Advisor(s):
TBD (if necessary)

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: http://eeca16.sogang.ac.kr/mailman/listinfo/16ng
Archive: http://eeca16.sogang.ac.kr/pipermail/16ng

Description of Working Group:

Broadband Wireless Access networks address the inadequacies of low
bandwidth wireless communication for user requirements such as high
quality data/voice service, fast mobility, wide coverage, etc. The
IEEE 802.16 Working Group on Broadband Wireless Access Standards
develops standards and recommended practices to support the
development and deployment of broadband Wireless Metropolitan Area
Networks. Additionally, IEEE 802.16e is an amendment that adds support
for mobility over the base IEEE 802.16 specification.

Recently, the WiMAX Forum, and, in particular, its NWG (Network
Working Group) is defining the IEEE 802.16(e) network architecture
(e.g., IPv4, IPv6, Mobility, Interworking with different networks,
AAA, etc). The NWG is thus taking on work at layers above those
defined by the IEEE 802 standards (typically limited to the physical
and link layers only). Similarly, WiBro (Wireless Broadband), a Korean
effort which focuses on the 2.3 GHz spectrum band, is also based on
the IEEE 802.16e specification. IEEE 802.16(e) is different from
existing wireless access technologies such as IEEE 802.11 or 3G, and,
while 802.16 defines the encapsulation of an IP datagram in an IEEE
802.16 MAC payload, complete description of IP operation is not
present and can benefit from IETF input and specification.

For example: immediately subsequent to network entry, an 802.16
subscriber station has no capability whatsoever for data (as opposed
to management) connectivity. The criteria by which the Base Station
(or other headend elements) set up the 802.16 MAC connections for data
transport are not part of the 802.16 standard, and depend on the type
of data services being offered (e.g., the set up of transport
connections will be different for IPv4 and IPv6
services). Additionally -as 802.16 is a point-to-multipoint
networkan 802.16 subscriber station is not capable of multicasting
(e.g., for neighbor discovery) or direct communication to the other
nodes in the network. While the built-in LAN emulation feature of
802.16 ("802.3 Convergence Sublayer") rectifies this, it may involve
additional packet overhead.

As for fast mobility, the characteristics of IEEE 802.16e link-layer
operation may require special considerations when implementing Fast
Mobile IPv6 (RFC 4068), something which may be pursued in the MIPSHOP
WG.

The principal objective of the 16ng BoF is to identify what
limitations and considerations apply to IPv6 adoption over IEEE
802.16(e), and to propose available solutions. The working group may
issue recommendations to IEEE 802.16(e) suggesting protocol
modifications for better IP support. The WiMAX Forum is slated to
specify IPv6 operation over IEEE 802.16(e) in 2006. On the other hand,
WiBro is already planning IPv4 deployment in 2006 (IPv6 over WiBro
will begin within a year). Accordingly, the working group will work
and coordinate with the WiMAX Forum and with the WiBro efforts.

As for IPv4 operation, its specification is quite advanced
already. Assuming enough interest is found, an additional work item
would be an informational document on IPv4 operation over
802.16(e). However, initial focus will be on IPv6.

The scope of this working group is as follows (WG Deliverables);

- Produce "Problem Statements for IPv6 over IEEE 802.16(e) Networks"
to identify the problems and limitations of IPv6 adoption over IEEE
802.16(e) networks. [Informational RFC]

- Produce "IPv6 over IEEE 802.16(e) Networks" to define IPv6 operation
including the transmission of IPv6 over IEEE 802.16(e) links, Neighbor
Discovery Protocol, Stateless Address, Auto configuration, Broadcast,
Multicast, etc. [Proposed Standard RFC]

- Coordinate with MIPSHOP WG with regard to "Fast Handover Mobile IPv6
over IEEE 802.16e Networks" to define fast handover scheme for mobile
IPv6 (RFC 3775) over IEEE 802.16e links. [Informational RFC]

- Produce "IPv6 deployment over IEEE 802.16(e) Networks" to illustrate 
the IPv6
deployment scenarios and considerations over IEEE 802.16(e) networks. 
[Informational
RFC]

This working group will reuse existing specifications whenever 
reasonable and
possible. Also, the working group will finish work on the deliverables 
listed above
before taking on any new items

Goals and Milestones:

Mar 06 Submit Internet-Draft on problem statements to IESG for
considerations of publication as Informational RFC

May 06 Submit Internet-Draft on IPv6 Neighbor Discovery Protocol
Implication to IESG for consideration of publication as Informational RFC

Sep 06 Submit Internet-Draft on IPv6 over IEEE 802.16(e) to IESG for
consideration of publication as Proposed Standard RFC

Nov 06 Submit Internet-Draft on IPv6 deployment over IEEE 802.16(e)
networks to IESG for consideration of publications as Informational
RFC

Dec 06 Working Group close or rechartering if necessary

---

From: Soohong Daniel Park <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 20:51:32 -0800

Jari,

That's the latest version of 16ng charter discussed today.

Regards,

Daniel (Soohong Daniel Park)
Mobile Platform Laboratory, SAMSUNG Electronics.
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Jari Arkko" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 1:38 PM
Subject: [16ng] proposed charter in text

> _______________________________________________
> 16ng mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://eeca16.sogang.ac.kr/mailman/listinfo/16ng
> 
>