Subject: [16ng] revision of the charter

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 23:07:14 +0300

This is a slightly edited version of the charter. The
changes include

- Added a requirement for CS selection/negotiation to
  be possible, per earlier discussions.

- Added a statement that no single CS can be mandated
  at the client end, per earlier discussions.

- Added a statement that Ethernet CS work must take
  into account bridging and interoperability with existing
  devices, also per earlier discussions.

- Some editorial modifications

There has also been some discussion on the list about the
possible inclusion of Generic Packet CS work. However, based
on information we have received about the status of GPCS
work at the IEEE, it seems too early to take on such work
at the IETF. The proposed WG also has a lot to do with
its other deliverables. The GPCS case could be revisited
later when the work progresses, of course.

-----

IP over IEEE 802.16 Networks (16ng)
===================================

Current Status: Proposed Working Group

Chair(s):
TBD

Internet Area Director(s):
Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Mark Townsley <[email-masked]>

Technical Advisor(s):
TBD

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked] To Subscribe:
http://eeca16.sogang.ac.kr/mailman/listinfo/16ng
Archive: http://eeca16.sogang.ac.kr/pipermail/16ng

Description of Working Group:

Broadband Wireless Access Networks address the inadequacies of low
bandwidth wireless communication for user requirements such as high
quality data/voice service, wide coverage, etc. The IEEE 802.16 Working
Group on Broadband Wireless Access Standards develops standards and
recommended practices to support the development and deployment of
Broadband Wireless Metropolitan Area Networks.

A particularity of IEEE 802.16 is that it does not include a rigid upper
edge MAC service interface. Instead, it provides multiple "convergence
sublayers (CS)" with the assumption that the choice and configuration
of the upper edge will be done in accordance with the needs of a specific
deployment environment (which might be DSL replacement, mobile access,
802.11 or CDMA backhaul etc.).

Specifically, immediately subsequent to network entry, an 802.16 subscriber
station has no capability whatsoever for data (as opposed to management)
connectivity. Especially, in IP CS case, the criteria by which the Base Station
(or other headend elements) sets up the 802.16 MAC connections for
data transport are not part of the 802.16 standard, and depend on the type
of data services being offered (e.g., the set up of link layer connections
will be different for IPv4 and IPv6 services).

Additionally - as IEEE 802.16 is a point-to-multipoint network - an 802.16
subscriber station is not capable of multicasting (e.g., for neighbor discovery,
ARP, IP multicasting services, etc.) or direct communication to the other nodes
attached to the same Base Station within the same subnet (prefix).

Unlike 3G or xDSL technologies, IEEE 802.16 is not part of an end-to-end
system definition. Currently, the WiMAX Forum, and, in particular, its NWG
(Network Working Group) is defining a network architecture based on IEEE
802.16.

The principal objective of the 16ng working group is to specify the operation
of IPv4 and IPv6 over IEEE 802.16, taking into account the IPv4, IPv6 and
Ethernet Convergence Sublayers. The working group may issue recommendations
to IEEE 802.16 and WiMax aiming at improving support for IP.

The scope of this working group is as follows (WG Deliverables);

- Produce "16ng Problem Statement, Goal and Requirement" to identify the
specific gaps in the 802.16 MAC for IPv4/IPv6 support, describe possible
network models (ie. point-to-point, broadcast etc.), and provide 16ng related
terminology to be used for the base guideline while defining solution
frameworks. [Informational RFC]

- Produce "IPv6 over IEEE 802.16 Networks in conjunction with IPv6 CS"
to define IPv6 operation including the transmission of IPv6 over IEEE
802.16 link, Neighbor Discovery Protocol, Stateful (DHCPv6) and Stateless
Address Configuration, Broadcast, Multicast, etc. [Proposed Standard RFC]

- Produce "IPv6 over IEEE 802.16 Networks in conjunction with Ethernet CS"
to define IPv6 operation including the transmission of IPv6 over IEEE 802.16
link, Neighbor Discovery Protocol, Stateful (DHCPv6) and Stateless Address
Configuration, Broadcast, Multicast, etc. [Proposed Standard RFC]

- Produce "IPv4 over IEEE 802.16 Networks in conjunction with IPv4 CS"
to define IPv4 operation including the transmission of IPv4 over IEEE 802.16
links, ARP operation, Stateful Address Configuration (DHCPv4), Broadcast,
Multicast, etc [Proposed Standard RFC]

- Produce "IPv4 over IEEE 802.16 Networks in conjunction with Ethernet CS"
to define IPv4 operation including the transmission of IPv4 over IEEE 802.16
links, ARP operation, Stateful Address Configuration (DHCPv4), Broadcast,
Multicast, etc [Proposed Standard RFC]

- Produce "IP deployment over IEEE 802.16 Networks" to illustrate the IP
deployment scenarios including IP CS and Ethernet CS considerations over
IEEE 802.16 networks based on the WiMAX and WiBro.
[Informational RFC]

This working group will take dual stack operation into account in its
specifications, and reuse existing specifications whenever reasonable and
possible. The ability to negotiate the used Convergence Sublayer is
required, as no single mandatory CS can be specified for the clients.
Work based on the Ethernet CS needs to take into account interoperability
with existing hosts and other devices that employ Ethernet¸ to allow
bridging.

16ng will not initially consider other work items than the ones listed above;
however, other related work may occur in other WGs, and 16ng will participate
and help such efforts.

Goals and Milestones:

Jul 06 Submit Internet-Draft on 16ng Problem Statement, Goal and
       Requirement to the IESG for considerations of publication
       as Informational RFC

Sep 06 Submit Internet-Draft on IPv6 over IPv6 CS transmission over
       IEEE 802.16 networks to the IESG for consideration of publication
       as Proposed Standard RFC

Oct 06 Submit Internet-Draft on IPv4 over IPv4 CS transmission over IEEE
       802.16 to the IESG for consideration of publication as Proposed
       Standard RFC

Nov 06 Submit Internet-Draft on IPv4 over Ethernet CS transmission over
       IEEE 802.16 networks to the IESG for consideration of
       publication as Proposed Standard RFC

Dec 06 Submit Internet-Draft on IPv6 over Ethernet CS transmission over
       IEEE 802.16 networks to the IESG for consideration of publication
       as Proposed Standard RFC

Feb 07 Submit Internet-Draft on IP deployment over IEEE 802.16
       networks to the IESG for consideration of publication as
       Informational RFC