Subject: [16NG] Protocol Action: 'Transmission of IP over Ethernet over IEEE 802.16 Networks' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 07:46:53 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Transmission of IP over Ethernet over IEEE 802.16 Networks '
   <draft-ietf-16ng-ip-over-ethernet-over-802-dot-16-12.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IP over IEEE 802.16 Networks Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Ralph Droms and Jari Arkko.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-16ng-ip-over-ethernet-over-802-dot-16-12.txt

Technical Summary

   This document describes the transmission of IPv4 over Ethernet as
   well as IPv6 over Ethernet in an access network deploying the IEEE
   802.16 cellular radio transmission technology.  The Ethernet on top
   of IEEE 802.16 is realized by bridging connections which the IEEE
   802.16 provides between a base station and its associated subscriber
   stations.  Due to the resource constraints of radio transmission
   systems and the limitations of the IEEE 802.16 MAC functionality for
   the realization of an Ethernet, the transmission of IP over Ethernet
   over IEEE 802.16 may considerably benefit by adding IP specific
   support functions in the Ethernet over IEEE 802.16 while maintaining
   full compatibility with standard IP over Ethernet behavior.

Working Group Summary

   The document underwent much discussion, sometimes heated on topics 
   such as distributed versus centralized bridges, whether to use the
   point-to-multipoint 'multicast' capabilities of the 802.16 
   link-layer, and about the proper choice of MTU. The document
   captures consensus and includes some of the relevant discussions
   including pros and cons of decisions taken. The appendix of the
   document includes much text in this respect.

Document Quality

   There has been a review including IEEE 802.16 and WiMAX folks in
   addition to the WG. There was a first WG LC ending on September 7,
   2007. The resulting revision was subjected to detailed review by
   the IEEE 802.16 committee. That feedback was discussed at IETF 71
   in Philadelphia and the relevant changes incorporated. The document
   was submitted to a second WG last call subsequent to Philadelphia
   and those changes have been fed into the current version being 
   submitted to the IESG (version 6).

Personnel

   Gabriel Montenegro <[email-masked]> is the Document
     Shepherd for this document.
   Ralph Droms <[email-masked]> is the responsible AD.

RFC Editor Note

Delete first two sentences from the third paragraph
in the Introduction.

OLD:

  Ethernet is a widely deployed transmission technology.  It provides
  unicast transport, handles broadcast and multicast traffic
  efficiently, and provides rich services such as Virtual LANs.
  However, Ethernet has been originally architected and designed for a
  shared medium while the IEEE 802.16 uses a point-to-multipoint
  architecture like other cellular radio transmission systems.  Hence,
  Ethernet on top of IEEE 802.16 is realized by bridging between IEEE
  802.16 radio connections between a BS (Base Station) and its
  associated SSs (Subscriber Stations).

NEW:

  Ethernet has been originally architected and designed for a
  shared medium while the IEEE 802.16 uses a point-to-multipoint
  architecture like other cellular radio transmission systems.  Hence,
  Ethernet on top of IEEE 802.16 is realized by bridging between IEEE
  802.16 radio connections between a BS (Base Station) and its
  associated SSs (Subscriber Stations).