Subject: [16NG] Protocol Action: 'Transmission of IPv4 packets over IEEE 802.16's IP Convergence Sublayer' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 07:07:10 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Transmission of IPv4 packets over IEEE 802.16's IP Convergence 
   Sublayer '
   <draft-ietf-16ng-ipv4-over-802-dot-16-ipcs-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IP over IEEE 802.16 Networks Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Ralph Droms and Jari Arkko.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-16ng-ipv4-over-802-dot-16-ipcs-07.txt

Technical Summary

  IEEE 802.16 is an air interface specification for wireless broadband
  access.  IEEE 802.16 has specified multiple service specific
  Convergence Sublayers for transmitting upper layer protocols.  The
  packet CS (Packet Convergence Sublayer) is used for the transport of
  all packet-based protocols such as Internet Protocol (IP) and IEEE
  802.3 (Ethernet).  The IP-specific part of the Packet CS enables the
  transport of IPv4 packets directly over the IEEE 802.16 MAC.  This
  document specifies the frame format, the Maximum Transmission Unit
  (MTU) and address assignment procedures for transmitting IPv4
  packets over the IP-specific part of the Packet Convergence Sublayer
  of IEEE 802.16.

Working Group Summary

   The document underwent much heated discussion, particularly on the
   proper choice of MTU.  The document captures consensus within the
   IETF and includes some information about the source of such
   opposing views: WiMAX Forum's use of an MTU of 1400 as opposed to
   1500 in this document. Such discrepancy is not new, as it is also
   found in the case of the so-called IPv6 CS (RFC5121). However, in
   the IPv6 case, the RA MTU option provides an easy solution, whereas
   no such reliable method exists for IPv4. Other topics received much
   input and guidance from 802.16 and WiMAX participants.

Document Quality

   This document was produced with the appropriate expertise, as it
   benefitted from the efforts within the IETF of many participants
   in IEEE 802.16 and the WiMAX Forum, including formal reviews from
   relevant experts in those bodies. 

Personnel

   Gabriel Montenegro ([email-masked]) is
   the document shepherd.  Ralph Droms ([email-masked])
   is the responsible AD.