Subject: [3gv6] IPv6-only as feasible service offering

From: Cameron Byrne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 19:23:29 -0800

Folks,

We had some discussion before about the various approaches to
numbering nodes to facilitate business continuity and service
assurance as IPv4 exhaustion grows increasingly critical.  Some folks
in a lab decided to see what type of user experience can be expected
using NAT64 and DNS64 and IPv6-only on the end system --  using
commonly available hardware and software that's available today.  In
this case, there is a NAT-PT box in place of NAT64, they used an open
source DNS64 implementation, and a standard WIndows 7 Starter edition
netbook.  I think the conclusion is that casual Internet use, as a
product, is possible today.  It is not everything IPv4 offers today,
but as IPv6 content and applications come on-line the IPv6
capabilities will exceed what IPv4 could do (no NAT for native flows).
 Thus, pure IPv6-only may engender a watershed of innovation in
applications, as opposed to innovation in middle-boxes.  But, i don't
want to get too optimistic :)

I have express my opinion before that dual-stack is not a complete
solution since both private and public IPv4 addresses are simply not
available or will be soon completely exhausted.  Dual-stack will have
a role in the future, just like public IPv4 addresses have a role
today.  Dual-stack, like public IPv4 addresses today, will be required
for users with special requirements (legacy IPv4 VPNs ....) , not
average web and email users that account for greater than ~80% of an
operator's customer base.  I also want to stress that this solution
best fits new subscribers and devices, it will not be a solution for
Window 98 ... or Windows XP in fact.

Screenshot video below, best viewed in HQ mode.  This is just a data
point with regard to functionality that is akin to NAT64 / DNS64 that
is available today.

http://www.youtube.com/theipv6guy