Subject: [3gv6] IPv6-only UE -- beta deployment report

From: Cameron Byrne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 20:17:23 -0800

Folks,

Today for the first time i used the production national RAN network to
access an IPv6 PDP context on a lab GGSN.

The significance of this is that now, any where my network has RF
coverage (200+ million people in the USA), we can have native IPv6
connections -- today.  This is a primitive beta service that does not
have all the billing and other properties worked out yet, but folks
said build it (an IPv6 network)  and they (handsets, applications)
will come.  We built it, pretty easy actually.  Now we start the long
road to integrating provisioning, backend systems, ops training ...

Here is a blurry and low-quality video of the IPv6-only UE user
experience on the production network using today's software and
hardware in the RAN, Packet Core, and UE.  The UE is IPv6-only and has
the assistance of network-based DNS64 / NAT64 to access IPv4 content.
The UE does not have an IPv4 address or IPv4 PDP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFAZFGKIigk

A quick walk through of the video

1. Start with www.kame.net, native v6 content.
2. mobile.nytimes.com, which is IPv4 content via the NAT64 / DNS64
3. whatsmyip, to show NAT64 public side IPv4 address that the IPv4 content sees
4.  more ipv4 content at washington post
5.  comcast6.net, which shows my IPv6 address.  This is the IPv6
address of the UE [sorry it's blurry]
6.  more IPv4 content at yahoo mobile
7.  the facebook application, viewing photos.
8.  access an IPv4 IMAP (tcp 993) email account at GMX.com, and send an email.
9.  Google maps.  I did a previous search for coffee shops, and then
it also shows panning for map updates.

The T-Mobile representatives at the 3GPP-IETF conference in San
Francisco will have this phone and it will work anywhere there is
T-Mobile USA coverage as IPv6-only.

In a few months, I plan to launch an official beta "friendly user
trial" so that handset and application developers can attach to
T-Mobile's beta IPv6 APN to develop and innovate in an IPv6-only
environment.  I will post more details about that as we get closer to
launch.

Regards,
Cameron

---

From: Hui Deng <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 12:40:47 +0800

Hi Cameron

You are planning to show this demonstration in the coming workshop
based on Android phone?

thanks

-Hui

2010/2/24 Cameron Byrne <[email-masked]>:
> _______________________________________________
> 3gv6 mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/3gv6
>

---

From: Cameron Byrne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 20:56:06 -0800

> You are planning to show this demonstration in the coming workshop

Gary Jones from the T-Mobile standards group will have the phone for
demonstration in SF.  Android does not support the 3G interface for
IPv6 yet.  Android only support IPv6 on the WiFi interface, but we
hope that will change soon now that we have an IPv6 APN for them to
work with.

Thanks,

Cameorn

---

From: Hui Deng <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 13:51:31 +0800

Great, thanks for your demonstration

Best regards,

-Hui

---

From: "Fredrik Garneij" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 03:48:38 +0100

Hi Cameron,

Real deployment is what counts, good work!

I only own an "old" N95 to test with but still the applications I have
tested using IPv6 PDP + DNS64/NAT64 but also IPv6 PDP + IPv4 PDP
(Dual-stack nokia style - connection defined in individual application
settings) The reason for doing the later was that realplayer rtsp did
not work (no ALG) so I set it up to use a IPv4 PDP so when using the
browser (IPv6 PDP context) and clicking a link that fires up realplayer,
then realplayer requests a IPv4 PDP context for the streaming and
releases it when done with realplayer. 

Furthermore I have found that:
Ovi store access works, IPv6 + NAT64
Nokia maps/Ovi Maps works, IPv6 + NAT64
S60 Youtube app works, IPv6 to www.youtube.com (downloaded using Ovi
store access NAT64 btw)
Nokia Browser works, IPv6 or IPv6 + NAT64 
Google mobile app works, IPv6
Internet radio works ,IPv6 + NAT64
and the list goes on...

It seems like Nokia made their apps IP agnostic way back. Kudos to
Nokia. I test all phones I can get my hands on. Nokia works, other
phones may be capable of doing the same but the lack the GUI to
configure PDP Type as does the new linux Nokia btw :-( same goes for the
new google android (correct?) as I have understood from what you are
saying.

///fredrik :-)  

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Cameron Byrne
Sent: den 24 februari 2010 05:17
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [3gv6] IPv6-only UE -- beta deployment report

Folks,

The significance of this is that now, any where my network has RF
coverage (200+ million people in the USA), we can have native IPv6
connections -- today.  This is a primitive beta service that does not
have all the billing and other properties worked out yet, but folks said
build it (an IPv6 network)  and they (handsets, applications) will come.
We built it, pretty easy actually.  Now we start the long road to
integrating provisioning, backend systems, ops training ...

Here is a blurry and low-quality video of the IPv6-only UE user
experience on the production network using today's software and hardware
in the RAN, Packet Core, and UE.  The UE is IPv6-only and has the
assistance of network-based DNS64 / NAT64 to access IPv4 content.
The UE does not have an IPv4 address or IPv4 PDP.

1. Start with www.kame.net, native v6 content.
2. mobile.nytimes.com, which is IPv4 content via the NAT64 / DNS64 3.
whatsmyip, to show NAT64 public side IPv4 address that the IPv4 content
sees 4.  more ipv4 content at washington post 5.  comcast6.net, which
shows my IPv6 address.  This is the IPv6 address of the UE [sorry it's
blurry] 6.  more IPv4 content at yahoo mobile 7.  the facebook
application, viewing photos.
8.  access an IPv4 IMAP (tcp 993) email account at GMX.com, and send an
email.
9.  Google maps.  I did a previous search for coffee shops, and then it
also shows panning for map updates.

In a few months, I plan to launch an official beta "friendly user trial"
so that handset and application developers can attach to T-Mobile's beta
IPv6 APN to develop and innovate in an IPv6-only environment.  I will
post more details about that as we get closer to launch.

Regards,
Cameron

---

From: Cameron Byrne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 19:09:03 -0800

> Internet radio works ,IPv6 + NAT64

We have a very similar approach and similar results

> Nokia. I test all phones I can get my hands on. Nokia works, other

+1 for Nokia's IPv6 vision on the handset

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 09:25:24 +0200

Great! I would like to see more deployments like this, as well as 
getting this available on a commercial, general purpose APN.

It is also our experience that it is very easy to turn on IPv6 on a 
mobile network -- the existing tunnel infrastructure makes almost all of 
the cellular infrastructure agnostic to IP version. This is a far better 
situation than exists for most other types of networks.

Jari

---

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 08:42:39 +0100 (CET)

> +1 for Nokia's IPv6 vision on the handset

Apart from the fact that the brand new shiny N900 doesn't have any IPv6 at 
all, which I thought was strange.

Has anyone started a list of UEs that'll do IPv6 and to what degree? Would 
it make sense to start a wiki page where people can fill this in?

-- 
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email-masked]

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 12:50:45 +0200

Mikael,

> Has anyone started a list of UEs that'll do IPv6 and to what degree? 
> Would it make sense to start a wiki page where people can fill this in?
>

I would be interested in seeing such a page.

Jari