Subject: Re: [3gv6] IPv6 WS 3GPP-IETF agenda item 4

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 14:50:56 +0200

Julien,

> what is the exact intent of the agenda item #4 ("Review of IPv6
> deployment scenarios
>   

The intent is as described -- review the deployment scenarios. We are in 
the meeting primarily in order to figure out if there's anything new to 
be standardized. A critical part of that is identifying what the 
problems are. I don't think the IETF should standardize new technology 
in this space lightly. In fact, a lot of the feedback that we got in 
Hiroshima was that the IETF should provide more guidance on what to do 
and less new proposed mechanisms. Given this, it is crucial that the 
meeting can evaluate whether the proposed deployment scenarios are 
reasonable. For instance, we could come to a conclusion that a 
particular deployment model is problematic and should be arranged in a 
different way. Or that there's too little interest for another 
particular deployment model to warrant a new global standard.

(Those of us who have worked for a long time in cross-SDO work realize 
that its not necessarily a good model for one party to come up with an 
architecture and the other party to be responsible for delivering 
protocol components to support that architecture. The results are far 
better when we can have a joint discussion early on about what the 
architectures or supported scenarios are.)

Jari

---

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 08:37:39 -0500

> architectures or supported scenarios are.)

Amen

---

From: "Hui Deng" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 22:52:57 +0800

Sounds interesting.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
> Scott Brim
> Sent: Tuesday, February 02, 2010 9:38 PM
> To: Jari Arkko
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [3gv6] IPv6 WS 3GPP-IETF agenda item 4
> 
> _______________________________________________
> 3gv6 mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/3gv6