Subject: [5gangip] IETF 95 Side Meeting Minutes of 5G Aspects of Next Generation Internet Protocols

From: Behcet Sarikaya <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2016 13:45:52 -0500

Hi all,

Please find the minutes below, apologies for being so late and thanks
to Huaru for reminding us:

 IETF 95 BarBoF on 5GangIP
 An informal lunch-time meeting on 5G issues as discussed since a year
on the Mailing List 5Gangip (5G Aspects of Next Generation Internet
Protocols) was attended by 45 people in the room and more than 10
remotely over MeetEcho from research and mobile community. These are
the notes from each presentation made in the meeting:

1. “Gaps in IP transport network for 5G” were identified by Jie Dong
(Huawei) who focused on delay and bandwidth constraints and proposed
to use new forwarding paradigms – e.g. Ethernet/ICN-type approaches.

2. Discussion on "5G -- It's the network, stupid" presented by Dirk
Kuscher (NEC) concluded in take-away that there is need for better
security & user privacy (object-based security may outperform current
“good” connection-based security) as well as more functionality in the
network (Transport performance and increasing heterogeneity), whereas
permission-less innovation and end-to-end communication principle
should be kept, and the resulting challenge is to find the right level
of transport abstraction, e.g. in terms of a powerful forwarding
layer, and sufficient general-purpose network capabilities.
3. “5G Core concepts” introduced by Marco Liebsch (NEC) reported on
the aspect of providing smart connectivity as examined in a not
EU-funded CONFIG activity (with broad participation of vendors,
operators, and academia) following an approach to derive from expected
diversity the need for context information enabling/assisting
flexibility/choice (selection) and finally tailoring (configuration).

4. ML co-chair Behcet Sarikaya presented “5G Architectures Overview”
arguing that a simplified layering model (denoted as next generation
IP) would show parallelisms to Identity - Location separation
approaches such as ILNP (Identifier-Locator Network Protocol,
specified in IRTF RG and published as RFCs 6740-6748) offers. Projects
as 'mobilityfirst' (http://mobilityfirst.winlab.rutgers.edu/)
proposing Fast global name resolution service (GNRS) and Generalized
Storage-Aware Routing (GSTAR) would also point out to solve at Core
Network level congestion.
 A lively discussion on the presented topics followed and a more
structured discussion on the ML until July meeting was announced.

Dirk & Behcet