Subject: [5gangip] New Version Notification for draft-vonhugo-5gangip-ip-issues-00.txt

From: Behcet Sarikaya <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 14:07:49 -0500

Hi all,

Dirk and I submitted the following draft on the issues discussed so
far in our mailing list.
Please read it and join the discussions.

We tried to address the comments made by many in our last side meeting
in IETF 96 in Berlin asking for charter, BoF, etc.
What we propose seems to be the best given our discussions so far.

Regards,

Dirk& Behcet

A new version of I-D, draft-vonhugo-5gangip-ip-issues-00.txt
has been successfully submitted by Behcet Sarikaya and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:           draft-vonhugo-5gangip-ip-issues
Revision:       00
Title:          Review on issues in discussion of next generation
converged networks (5G) from an IP point of view
Document date:  2016-09-14
Group:          Individual Submission
Pages:          12
URL:
https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-vonhugo-5gangip-ip-issues-00.txt
Status:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-vonhugo-5gangip-ip-issues/
Htmlized:       https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-vonhugo-5gangip-ip-issues-00

Abstract:
   This document discusses considerations related to open and upcoming
   issues with upcoming new communication systems denoted as 5G.  The
   draft reviews currently investigated topics, including both inputs
   from IETF and from other SDOs as well as research activities.
   Further the outcome of recent discussions at side sessions during
   IETF meetings are recaptured to help identifying a starting point for
   future thoughts.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat

---

From: Tom Herbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2016 10:53:59 -0700

Dirk, Behcet,

In section 5:

"How can we deal with multiple checksums, since it is very expensive
to compute checksums,"

What are these multiple checksums? Are these just Internet checksums
or does this include CRCs etc.?

Tom

---

From: Behcet Sarikaya <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2016 14:11:35 -0500

Hi Tom,

> or does this include CRCs etc.?

We took this part from the emails written on the list, mainly coming
from Richard Li, you can check on the list archive.

The context was 3GPP layering, especially below IP. I don't know in
detail those protocols, maybe Julius    knows?
I know that we have checksums at IPv4 but IPv6 eliminated it, also at
transport layer.

Maybe something to discuss on the list.

Behcet

---

From: "Gorry (erg)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2016 20:18:51 +0200

> On 21 Sep 2016, at 21:11, Behcet Sarikaya <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hi Tom,
> 
> 

Not eliminated really, no ip checksum, but the IPv6 spec requires a checksum at transport EXCEPT for some very specific uses.

> _______________________________________________
> 5gangip mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/5gangip