Subject: [5gangip] 6gip soon

From: Behcet Sarikaya <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2020 09:18:48 -0500

Hi all,

We have been approved for a name change by INT area ADs. Hopefully soon the
name is going to change to 6gip. The request is currently with IETF
secretariat.

Regards,
Behcet

---

From: Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2020 16:29:19 +0200

Than you for this action, it is a great initiative.

I hope there will not be a massive de/re-subscription of all 
subscribers, so there will not be notification emails.

I hope I do not have to change my local filters of the Subject line to 
move to a folder named '5gangip' currently.

I hope the archives of this 5gangip discussions will still be visible.

But, reason tells me it is impossible to hope for all these things.  I 
could have hoped for it if there existed a mechanism, or a protocol, to 
provide such a smooth migration.  I think it does not exist.

Yes, it is possible technically to change the Subject line in the 
mailman GUI of the email list, maybe from 5gangip to 6gip.  But that 
will not change the [email-masked] email address, I think.

Yes, there is process in place to request something to Secretariat.  But 
that does not include (I think) a smooth migration of email list name.

Because of these reasons, migration might not be smooth.  And it leads 
to a very long list of email addresses of groups visible at 
ietf.org/mailman/listinfo.  I suspect also that this existence of this 
long list make people think that it should be reduced by removal.  This 
leads to removal of some lists and, some times, potentially, removal of 
WGs.  I find it unreasonable to remove WGs because their email list 
contribute to too long lists.  Migration would be better.

So, I wonder how this 6gip name will come into existence, and I am 
waiting to see.

Alex

Le 17/07/2020 à 16:18, Behcet Sarikaya a écrit :
> Hi all,
> 
> We have been approved for a name change by INT area ADs. Hopefully soon 
> the name is going to change to 6gip. The request is currently with IETF 
> secretariat.
> 
> 
> Regards,
> Behcet
> 
> _______________________________________________
> 5gangip mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/5gangip
>