

>> western point of view and I find it a little embarrassing.
> 
> Maybe so.  How about "Accept evolving cultural norms, and allow those 
> who come to your country to do work (and spend money) to actually do 
> that work."?

Whose cultural norms?

Sounds the same to me.

-MSK

_______________________________________________
68ATTENDEES mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/68attendees

n.sendmail.com
	l2RJi87F023623
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 11:40:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [68ATTENDEES] Hilton Prague

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007, Randall Gellens wrote:
> We're all very glad to hear this.  Many others had the same good 
> experiences, but that does not mean that the unfortunate experiences of 
> those who were pickpocketed are invalid.

I never said they are invalid, but I do have trouble swallowing the 
assertion that the entire conference and choice of city was a wash because 
of them, which was the perspective I was getting from prior posts to the 
list.

> While I am of course happy for you that you are not sensitive to smoke, 
> I find it insulting that you seem to think that everyone else is like 
> you; it demeans those who have physical difficulties with smoke.

My mother has a potentially fatal bee allergy.  Were she to come to IETF 
as a contributor during a season when bees are active, I would find it 
absurd of her to assert that the conference facility or the host city 
must guarantee her a bee-free environment in the region of the hotel.

I have some pretty terrible hayfever sometimes during allergy season.  I 
would never consider demanding that we avoid any city with pollens to 
which I am allergic even though their presence in the air would render me 
of limited use to the working groups I wish to attend because I'd be 
reduced to a sneezing mess.  I would either cope with the problem, 
treat the symptoms as best I can, or attend remotely (e.g. via jabber).

> Spoken like someone who is not bothered by it.

Correct, but I've also given examples of things that do bother me a great 
deal which still wouldn't compel me to claim the environment was 
unacceptable for the conference.  Same logic, same opinion.

>>    Would we allow smoking in a non-smoking hotel back home if a delegation
>> of Czechs held a conference there?  Of course not. We're guests in their
>> culture.  "Stop smoking!  We bring a lot of money here!" is a singularly
>> western point of view and I find it a little embarrassing.
> 
> Maybe so.  How about "Accept evolving cultural norms, and allow those 
> who come to your country to do work (and spend money) to actually do 
> that work."?

Whose cultural norms?

Sounds the same to me.

-MSK

_______________________________________________
68ATTENDEES mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/68attendees