Subject: [68ATTENDEES] iChat shortcuts to IETF jabber rooms

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 09:43:10 +0100

I use Apple's iChat for the jabber text conferencing. It works great  
and I love the comic book style balloons, but it does have the  
disadvantage that you have to type in the room names all the time.  
But iChat support an URL naming scheme that allows creating links to  
chat rooms, so I decided to make a little web tool to make joining  
those rooms easier. See:

http://www.bgpexpert.com/ietfjabber.php

There are also links on how to use iChat for IETF jabber.

Feedback is more than welcome in private mail.

_______________________________________________
68ATTENDEES mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/68attendees

---

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 11:43:11 +0100

On 19-mrt-2007, at 9:43, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

> I use Apple's iChat for the jabber text conferencing. It works  
> great and I love the comic book style balloons, but it does have  
> the disadvantage that you have to type in the room names all the  
> time. But iChat support an URL naming scheme that allows creating  
> links to chat rooms, so I decided to make a little web tool to make  
> joining those rooms easier. See:

> http://www.bgpexpert.com/ietfjabber.php

First of all, the page didn't work at first, but that has been fixed,  
my apologies.

Bill Fenner pointed out that there is an official way to do this with  
the xmpp: URI scheme, which is used in the HTML version of the agenda:

http://tools.ietf.org/agenda/68/

I've made an xmpp: version of my page at http://www.bgpexpert.com/ 
ietfxmpp.php

Unfortunately, iChat doesn't support xmpp:. However, you can add  
support for it with a small helper application, see the updated  
http://www.bgpexpert.com/ietfjabber.php

---

From: Ken Raeburn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 13:02:50 +0100

On Mar 19, 2007, at 11:43, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> First of all, the page didn't work at first, but that has been  
> fixed, my apologies.
>
> Bill Fenner pointed out that there is an official way to do this  
> with the xmpp: URI scheme, which is used in the HTML version of the  
> agenda:
>

It appears that Adium doesn't quite deal with these either, as far as  
I can tell.  It accepts the URI and pops open a Window, but it's not  
a regular group chat window, and I can't send anything.  However,  
through Adium's interface I can join the chat room and it works just  
fine.  My search for a plugin or scripting solution to this hasn't  
turned up a fix so far...

Ken