Subject: [68ATTENDEES] Tipping

From: Ben Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 09:52:08 -0500

Is anyone familiar with tipping customs in Prague, for restaurants,  
taxis, hotels, etc?

Thanks!

Ben.

_______________________________________________
68ATTENDEES mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/68attendees

---

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 10:04:13 -0500

> Is anyone familiar with tipping customs in Prague, for restaurants,  

According to Rick Steves "Prage & The Czech Republic 2006":

Restaurants: Round up to 10%, and try to speak Czech.

Cabs: 5%, and try to speak Czech. Watch for being driven in a circle.

Hotels: 20Kc for the porter, 50Kc for the maid at end of stay.

--
Dean

---

From: Scott W Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 11:04:25 -0400

> Is anyone familiar with tipping customs in Prague, for restaurants,

Nothing or shrapnel

---

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 05:03:47 -0500

I came in via train to the main train station, then took the C or Red  
metro line to the Florenc stop (one stop from main train station).  
Going out the north exit to the street, I could see the Hilton. I  
walked left to the end of the street, then right (north) one block to  
the Hilton. Walking time, less than 5 minutes. There was only one  
major street to cross, and it had good lights.

Total cost about $1.

One can also get (which I did) a 7-day (pa sedm den) metro pass for  
about $14 -- I think it was 280Kc.

ATMS are a little tricky to find at the main station -- I walked  
around for a good 20 minutes before spotting them (and finally had to  
look in my travel guide for a clue).

I found one in a cluster of machines near the main entrance, and  
another in an "info" room off the main entrance. The machine I used  
dispensed in units of 500Kc. I pulled out 3500 Kc, which was one  
2,000 Kc note, one 1000 Kc note, and one 500 Kc note. I then used the  
2000 to buy the 7-day metro pass, making yet more change.

Dobrý den!