Subject: [68ATTENDEES] "Best Strudel in Europe"?

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 15:42:04 -0700

Accidently came across this.  It claims Susta Strudl in Prague has 
the "best strudel in Europe."  Anyone tried it, or care to comment?

<http://community.discovery.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/376102905/m/4301916608>
-- 
Randall Gellens
Opinions are personal;    facts are suspect;    I speak for myself only
-------------- Randomly-selected tag: ---------------
Woodhead's Law: "The further you are from your server,  the more likely
it is to crash."

_______________________________________________
68ATTENDEES mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/68attendees

---

From: "Michal Krsek" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 08:53:39 +0100

Hi Randall,
I never been there, and I can't find any restaurant on this address. Also 
searching "susta strudl" on czech corner of Internet didn't give me any 
relevant results.

If you really want go there, avoid the way from metro A line at evening. 
There is a huge cemetery..

BTW best strudel is from my grandmother :-)

            Regards
                    Michal

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Randall Gellens" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2007 23:42
Subject: [68ATTENDEES] "Best Strudel in Europe"?

> Accidently came across this.  It claims Susta Strudl in Prague has the 
> "best strudel in Europe."  Anyone tried it, or care to comment?
>

---

From: "Arnoud van Wijk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 13:47:29 +0100

Well. I may try it. But when I was in Vienna, the bakery at Schloss
Schonbrun claimed to be the best strudel bakery in the world. It was even
baked in front of your eyes. It was very very very yummie.
So.....only 1 way to find out who is the best!
/Arnoud

---

From: "Arnoud van Wijk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 13:53:33 +0100

<<If you really want go there, avoid the way from metro A line at evening. 
<<There is a huge cemetery..

Does that mean ghosts roam free at night or so? Or vampires?

<<BTW best strudel is from my grandmother :-)

Hmm I love strudel! Would she bake a few for us?

<<            Regards
<<                    Michal

/Arnoud

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 09:16:15 -0400

> Does that mean ghosts roam free at night or so? Or vampires?

Maybe the Golum will make an appearance.

>> the

---

From: "Michal Krsek" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 14:23:06 +0100

> Maybe the Golum will make an appearance.

To be frank, some "strange" people can appear there :-)

>> Hmm I love strudel! Would she bake a few for us?

Sorry, she is not living at Prague :-(

            Regards
                    MK

---

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 08:18:03 -0700

At 8:53 AM +0100 3/18/07, Michal Krsek wrote:

>  I never been there, and I can't find any restaurant on this 
> address. Also searching "susta strudl" on czech corner of Internet 
> didn't give me any relevant results.

I asked the hotel concierge where I could get poppy strudl, and she 
wrote down the same place, but she spelled the name differently :-) 
-- she wrote (if it comes out) "usta strudl", that is, r with carron 
as the first letter.

She told me to just take a cab there :-)

>
>  If you really want go there, avoid the way from metro A line at 
> evening. There is a huge cemetery..
>

-------------- Randomly-selected tag: ---------------
Waiter: "Tea or coffee, gentlemen?"
1st customer: "I'll have tea."
2nd customer: "Me, too -- and be sure the glass is clean!"
        (Waiter exits, returns)
Waiter: "Two teas.  Which one asked for the clean glass?"

---

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 08:21:30 -0700

>  So.....only 1 way to find out who is the best!

Strudl BOF?  (or strudl run)
-- 
Randall Gellens
Opinions are personal;    facts are suspect;    I speak for myself only
-------------- Randomly-selected tag: ---------------
If I knew what was going on, I'd be indignant!

---

From: Tony Li <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 17:21:46 +0100

> <http://community.discovery.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/376102905/m/ 

A group of us made it there today.  However, they were closed.

;-(

Tony

---

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 14:40:24 -0700

>  A group of us made it there today.  However, they were closed.

How did you get there?
-------------- Randomly-selected tag: ---------------
Eight out of every five people are math illiterate.

---

From: Tony Li <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 22:58:16 +0100

>>  A group of us made it there today.  However, they were closed.

The five of us walked.  It wasn't too bad as we were out for some  
exercise.  Directions from the Hilton:

Exit the Hilton and head East.
Cross under the railroad and immediately turn right.
In a few blocks, you should find yourself southbound on Prunihopluku.
Turn S. on Trocnovska.
E. on Husitska
SE on Prokopova
E on Jeseniova

Destination: Jeseniova 29

Tony

---

From: Tony Li <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 23:54:05 +0100

> Destination: Jeseniova 29

Better directions:

Tony

---

From: "Arnoud van Wijk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 00:55:27 +0100

Better directions what?
I seem to be missing text.

-----Original Message-----
From: Tony Li [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: zondag 18 maart 2007 23:54
To: Tony Li
Cc: Randall Gellens; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [68ATTENDEES] "Best Strudel in Europe"?

Better directions:

---

From: "Dan Wing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 01:10:39 +0100

There was a .kmz attachment in Tony's mail.  .kmz is used by Google Earth,
http://earth.google.com.  (I missed it, too, and Tony had to point it out to
me.)

-d

> From: Arnoud van Wijk [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Monday, March 19, 2007 12:55 AM
> To: 'Tony Li'
> Cc: 'Randall Gellens'; [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: [68ATTENDEES] "Best Strudel in Europe"?
> 
> Better directions what?

---

From: Nemeth Krisztian <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 00:39:55 +0100 (CET)

This evening we had a very enjoyable Italian dinner at

  Ambiente, Ristorante Pasta Fresca
  http://www.ambi.cz/ambi_pastafresca_kontakt_eng.php

All-Italian wine list, house-made pasta cooked al dente, good sauces, 
nice risotto, and a good tiramisu.

I saw Eliot there, too.  What did you think?

-d

---

From: Nemeth Krisztian <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 00:39:55 +0100 (CET)

Hi All,

Thought sharing the restaurant experiences would be useful... We've tried 
the following so far:

1 - U Sedmi Svabu. Medieval Tavern in the castle district. When walking 
up, turn left at 31 Nerudova, address: Jánsky vrsek 14 Really unique 
atmosphere, very nice pub. Beer is cheap (30 approx), food is moderate 
(starting from 150). Food is ok, but the quantities are rather moderate as 
well... All in all, worth to visit.

2 - Don't remember the name, neither the street :) But it's very close to 
Hilton, first or second corner from the Florenc station on Na Porici 
towards the center (i.e. west): so either Tesnov or Biskupska street. From 
Na Porici right, and after about 10 meters on the right side of the 
street. Authentic Czech pub crowded with local people. The food was good 
and cheap (main dishes at about 100 Kc) of a fair quantity even for my 
endless stomach. But, but, they cheated (overbilled) seriously when paying. 
Too bad, it would have been a good place. I'll never go back, and don't 
recommend it to you neither!

3 - McDonalds. Meals at approx 130. Same .... everywhere.

4 - Dont-remember-the-name self service restaurant. Left side of Na 
Porici, close to Florenc. Cheaper than McDonalds (meals at approx 60-65), 
and more versatile choice. Very very simple. Food is okey though. Juice is 
terrible, but only 10 Kc. Was ok for the money. (But really simple.)

5 - U Korbele -- Belonging to hotel Renaissance. V Celnicy 7, entrance 
through the hotel. 5-10 minutes walk from the Hilton. High prices (main 
dishes starting at about 300-350, beer is 120), but exceptional quality. 
Also laaaaarge quantities. The menu is not too long, but everything we 
tried was astonishingly good. Beautiful surroundings, friendly but polite 
staff. Really was value for the money. Definitely recomended (if the 
budget allows...)

To be continued :)

Krisztian

---

From: David Frascone <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 03:23:15 -0400

works with google maps too.  Type this url into maps.google.com: 
http://www.frascone.com/doc.kml

Dan Wing wrote:
>>> In a few blocks, you should find yourself southbound on 
>>>       
>> Prunihopluku.
>>     
>>> Turn S. on Trocnovska.
>>> E. on Husitska
>>> SE on Prokopova
>>> E on Jeseniova
>>>

-- 

David Frascone

              printf("to C or not to C...that is the question/n");

---

From: "Arnoud van Wijk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 09:37:24 +0100

That worked..

Thanks

/Arnoud

  _____  

From: David Frascone [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: maandag 19 maart 2007 8:23
To: Dan Wing
Cc: 'Arnoud van Wijk'; 'Tony Li'; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [68ATTENDEES] "Best Strudel in Europe"?

Dan Wing wrote: 

-d

-----Original Message-----
From: Arnoud van Wijk [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2007 12:55 AM
To: 'Tony Li'
Cc: 'Randall Gellens'; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [68ATTENDEES] "Best Strudel in Europe"?
 
Better directions what?

-----Original Message-----
From: Tony Li [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: zondag 18 maart 2007 23:54
To: Tony Li
Cc: Randall Gellens; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [68ATTENDEES] "Best Strudel in Europe"?

How did you get there?

 

Prunihopluku.

Turn S. on Trocnovska.
E. on Husitska
SE on Prokopova
E on Jeseniova

Tony

Better directions:

 

-- 
 
David Frascone

---

From: "Victor M. Grado" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 13:00:12 -0400

I heard the following is the best as far as Czech fare:

*U FLEKU PIVOVAR A RESTAURACE
*Kremencova 11
Prague 1 - Nové Město
Open: Mon-Sun 9:00-23:00
Tel: 224 934 019

anybody have tried it?  anybody want to?

 - Victor

PS. The difference of local McDonalds is that they sell Pilsner Urquel
(cans). Not sure all of them but some...

---

From: "Victor M. Grado" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 13:00:12 -0400

- Victor

---

From: "Michal Krsek" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 18:14:42 +0100

Hi Victor,
it may be a bit smoky and also full. 

Also as restaurant U medvidku (http://www.umedvidku.cz/) - typical czech food, beer and smoky. 

BTW you can check local restaurants, recomended on meeting Wiki (http://community.ietf.org/wiki/index.php/Entertainment%2C_Pubs%2C_Attractions%2C_Restaurants). You are welcome to add your own comments, recommendations and other useful information.

            Regards
                MK

  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Victor M. Grado 
  To: [email-masked] 
  Sent: Monday, March 19, 2007 18:00
  Subject: Re: [68ATTENDEES] Restaurant guide...

  U FLEKU PIVOVAR A RESTAURACE 
  Kremencova 11
  Prague 1 - Nové Město 
  Open: Mon-Sun 9:00-23:00
  Tel: 224 934 019 

   - Victor

  PS. The difference of local McDonalds is that they sell Pilsner Urquel (cans). Not sure all of them but some...

    To be continued :)

    Krisztian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Fall, Kevin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 10:34:35 -0700

I went w/4 others to this place last night.  It was excellent (although it is small, in a cave, and about a 45 min walk):

U Maltezskych Rytiru (At the Knights of Malta) - - Prokopska 10, Mala Strana - http://www.think.cz/velvet/03/22.html

(don't miss the wild boar and Maltese red wine.  The wine needs some breathing time, tho.  Reservation recommended).

- K

________________________________

From: Michal Krsek [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2007 10:15 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [68ATTENDEES] Restaurant guide...

Hi Victor,

            Regards

                MK

	----- Original Message ----- 

	From: Victor M. Grado <mailto:[email-masked]>  

	To: [email-masked] 

	 

	 - Victor

	

	Hi All,

	

	
	
	To be continued :)
	
	Krisztian

________________________________

---

From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 18:42:06 +0100

I went there about five years ago.  Pretty good food, excellent brewery
tour.  Funny bit was the brewmaster was longing for the communist era.  In
the capitalist era, they expect him to actually work.  Worse yet, they don't
give him nearly as much beer as they used to....

>> staff. Really was value for the money. Definitely recomended (if the

_______________________________________________________________________
Notice:  This email message, together with any attachments, may contain
information  of  BEA Systems,  Inc.,  its subsidiaries  and  affiliated
entities,  that may be confidential,  proprietary,  copyrighted  and/or
legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual
or entity named in this message. If you are not the intended recipient,
and have received this message in error, please immediately return this
by email and then delete it.
_______________________________________________
68ATTENDEES mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/68attendees

---

From: Tim Chown <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 17:45:28 +0000

Last time I was in Prague, this place was superb:

U Modre
Kachnicky II
V Michalske

Michalska 16
Praha I

Open 11.30 to 23.30

Tel:  224 213 418
E: [email-masked]

Excellent food and drink.   Live piano music with a chap in a DJ.

Tim

On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 10:34:35AM -0700, Fall, Kevin wrote:
> 
>    I  went  w/4  others  to  this  place  last  night.   It was excellent
>    (although it is small, in a cave, and about a 45 min walk):
> 
> 
>    U  Maltezskych Rytiru (At the Knights of Malta) - - Prokopska 10, Mala
>    Strana - [1]http://www.think.cz/velvet/03/22.html
> 
>     
> 
>    (don't  miss  the wild boar and Maltese red wine.  The wine needs some
>    breathing time, tho.  Reservation recommended).
> 
> 
>    - K
> 
>    ______________________________________________________________________
> 
>    Also  as restaurant U medvidku ([2]http://www.umedvidku.cz/) - typical
>    czech food, beer and smoky.
> 
> 
>    BTW  you  can  check  local  restaurants,  recomended  on meeting Wiki
>    ([3]http://community.ietf.org/wiki/index.php/Entertainment%2C_Pubs%2C_
>    Attractions%2C_Restaurants). You are welcome to add your own comments,
>    recommendations and other useful information.
> 
> 
>                Regards
> 
>                    MK
> 
> 
>    From: [4]Victor M. Grado
>    To: [5][email-masked]
> 
>    Prague 1 - Nové Mesto
>    On 3/18/07, Nemeth Krisztian <[6][email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>    Hi All,
>    ______________________________________________________________________
> 
> References
>    1. http://www.think.cz/velvet/03/22.html
>    2. http://www.umedvidku.cz/
>    3. http://community.ietf.org/wiki/index.php/Entertainment%2C_Pubs%2C_Attractions%2C_Restaurants
>    4. mailto:[email-masked]
>    5. mailto:[email-masked]
>    6. mailto:[email-masked]

-- 
Tim

---

From: Nemeth Krisztian <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 22:24:24 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

Restaurants, cont'd...

> 2 - Don't remember the name, neither the street :) But it's very close to 
[...]
> at about 100 Kc) of a fair quantity even for my endless stomach. But, but, 
> they cheated (overbilled) seriously when paying. Too bad, it would have been 
> a good place. I'll never go back, and don't recommend it to you neither!

Checked it again: something Garden (Garten?) is the name, the street is 
Biskupska. Avoid!

> 3 - McDonalds. Meals at approx 130. Same .... everywhere.

Less, approx 105.

----

Pizzeria Al Capone, on Na Porici, at the Bispuska corner, but at the other 
side of Na Porici. Nice ambiente, fair prizes (main dishes, pizzas at 
about 120, beer at around 30), good food, fair service. Unfurtunately only 
Stella Artois, no local beer (but Stella is good ;) ). But -- and it seems 
that there's always this "but" -- they've tried to cheat us again. 
Incredible, so far 3 out of 4 restaurants were playing it unfair. This 
time they gave us a printed bill of 580 (for 3 people), plus 120 Kc 
(>20%!!) handwritten on it. When we asked what's this, they lied it's the 
complementary bread & butter at the beginning. When asked to show it on 
the menu, it was on, but for something like 40 only. Than they said it;s 
the service fee. It wasn't on the menu, too. Then they said, ok, we don't 
have to pay that... No tip for them, not a single Ck, of course. Otherwise 
would have been a good place. With this: avoid, or be extremely careful, 
and not at all too generous when tipping!

Also everywhere else check the bill very-very carefuly, compare it with 
the menu, and never pay for what you haven't ordered. Shame on them.

Looking forward your experiences,

Krisztian

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 17:54:11 -0500

If you folks want some place with less international taste, you could go
to the restaurant called U-FLEKU. It's a very traditional Czech place,
where the musicians are dressed like Svejk, the brave soldier (for those
of you unfamiliar with Svejk, you can read about him in wikipedia,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Good_Soldier_%C5%A0vejk). Becherovka
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Becherovka) is very good, but do not take
more than 10 shots.

Have fun!

-----Original Message-----
From: ext Nemeth Krisztian [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2007 2:24 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [68ATTENDEES] Re: Restaurant guide...

Hi,

Restaurants, cont'd...

> 2 - Don't remember the name, neither the street :) But it's very close

> to
[...]
> at about 100 Kc) of a fair quantity even for my endless stomach. But, 
> but, they cheated (overbilled) seriously when paying. Too bad, it 
> would have been a good place. I'll never go back, and don't recommend
it to you neither!

Less, approx 105.

----

Pizzeria Al Capone, on Na Porici, at the Bispuska corner, but at the
other side of Na Porici. Nice ambiente, fair prizes (main dishes, pizzas
at about 120, beer at around 30), good food, fair service. Unfurtunately
only Stella Artois, no local beer (but Stella is good ;) ). But -- and
it seems that there's always this "but" -- they've tried to cheat us
again. 
Incredible, so far 3 out of 4 restaurants were playing it unfair. This
time they gave us a printed bill of 580 (for 3 people), plus 120 Kc
(>20%!!) handwritten on it. When we asked what's this, they lied it's
the complementary bread & butter at the beginning. When asked to show it
on the menu, it was on, but for something like 40 only. Than they said
it;s the service fee. It wasn't on the menu, too. Then they said, ok, we
don't have to pay that... No tip for them, not a single Ck, of course.
Otherwise would have been a good place. With this: avoid, or be
extremely careful, and not at all too generous when tipping!

Krisztian

---

From: Robert Jaksa <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 18:06:37 -0500

On one of my food bills there is a "DPH 19". Is that a sales tax here?  One
of three restaurants charged that.

I also got a 40 Kc person service fee at Al Capone (handwritten as service).
I just figure that is the service fee per person (~$2 US per person) which
is about what I leave on my own at "non-service fee included" restaurants
for comparably-priced meals. I figure it is the Czech's covering themselves
for "Euros" that don't understand that service is not included here because
it is in many other EU countries. (Of course, in the US, I usually leave 20%
for good service, so maybe they are counting on that.)

Anyway the pizza *and* service was very good at Al Capone's and I plan to go
back at least once. As for only serving Stella Artois, I will never complain
about that! IMO, 37 Kc for 0.5L of a premium imported lager at a restaurant
/ bar in downtown Prague is a bargain. Are you finding it cheaper somewhere
else? Those local brews are 20% more based on the places that I have gone to
thus far.

-----Original Message-----
From: Nemeth Krisztian [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2007 4:24 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [68ATTENDEES] Re: Restaurant guide...

Hi,

Restaurants, cont'd...

[...]

Less, approx 105.

----

Krisztian

---

From: Elwyn Davies <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 23:20:36 +0000

Yeth... I think Ish  may remember being theresh tthish ebening. I can 
vouch for thish being very ethnic and it being very difficult to reshist 
the hard sell of apritif/medishine/digestif.  And the beer washnt bad 
either.
6 stops on the 24 tram from Florenc or 5 stops on the 3 or 24 tram from 
Bila Ladut (just on the other side of the freeway) to Lazarska.
Or 3 stops on the Line B metro.
Then a short walk (more difficult on the way back on account of it being 
difficult to determine what is horizontal).

/Elwyn

---

From: Aaron Stone <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 16:35:13 -0700

The tipping customs are slightly inconsistent at different places. There
is a food sales tax, which is supposed to be clearly footnoted on the
menu if it is not already included in the price of each item. I'm sure
this footnote is probably in Czech and not translated, however...

Some places charge service per person. Other places have a per-person
minimum. The closer to the center, the more likely you are to find this.
Otherwise, tipping is usually whatever reasonable amount of change that
rounds your bill up to the next 20 or 50 crowns.

If you're getting really good service then the typical American ~15% tip
is appropriate because the folks at that restaurant probably have
figured out that people will often pay for good service.

For dinner tonight I went out with a good Czech friend to Pizza Einstein
near the I.P. Pavlova metro stop. http://www.pizza-einstein.cz/
86 crown for a 250g Veggie pizza
89 crown for a 250g Hawaiian pizza
26 crown for a 0,5l Krushovitse ('kruSovice') beer
19% tax, ~30 crown tip, 270 crown in all.

Aaron

---

From: "Michal Krsek" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 08:16:40 +0100

There are some noticeable informations:

1) Do not pay anything handwritten on the bill. Ask waiter for all printed 
bill.
2) If you want to pay per person, someimes waiter will bring a printed bill 
and then start summing personal bills (handwritten). It is legal, but always 
ask for handwritten bills before pay (you may see some "sum errors there").
3) Other times, you have to go at the bar and pay there (telling what you 
have ordered).
4) You don't need to tip - waiters are employyes of the restaurant, but if 
you are satisfied, you may round the bill to next 10, 20, 50, 100 or 200 
(this also avoid your wallet to be overloaded by coins) - rounding border 
depends on total amount (10%-15%).

            With kind regards
                    Michal Krsek

P.S: I'd like to kindly ask all people recommending any restaurant to go to 
ietf68 WiKi and add their experience there 
http://community.ietf.org/wiki/index.php/Entertainment%2C_Pubs%2C_Attractions%2C_Restaurants . 
Have to thank all people that allready contributed.

---

From: Roy Brabson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 09:10:03 +0100

> E: [email-masked]

It still is.  I ate there last week and had an excellent meal.  3 minute
walk from the Astronomical Clock in Old Town Square.  For pricing, main
course ran around 400-600 Kc.

---

From: Kjetil Torgrim Homme <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 09:10:28 +0100

> 1) Do not pay anything handwritten on the bill. Ask waiter for all printed 

well, that depends on the kind of place you go to.  I prefer to go to
the local beer halls (pivnice), and they never give you a printed bill
-- they leave a slip of paper on your table, and jot down the price
every time you order something (for beer, they just make a | mark which
are counted at the end).  note that if you leave your coaster out, that
may be taken as an implicit order of another beer when you're empty.
when you ask for the bill (platit), they do the sums and you pay.  I've
never encountered service charges nor sales tax being added to these
bills.  I also try to keep the tip within 15% -- overtipping may be
regarded as brash touristy behaviour, and won't blend you in with the
locals.

as for beer prices, the lowest I've found so far is Gambrinus 10 degrees
for 15 CZK less than a block from the Hilton.  I prefer the Staropramen
12 degrees for 20 CZK, though :-)

-- 
happy pivnice explorations!
Kjetil T.

---

From: "Victor M. Grado" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 04:39:53 -0400

And don't forget Slivovice:
         http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slivovitz
the drink that only mixes with more of the same...

also called "Moravian penicillin" (which shows its versatility). Made of
plum, but there are other 'flavors'

- Victor

---

From: "Michal Krsek" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 10:46:19 +0100

Hi Kjetil,

> regarded as brash touristy behaviour, and won't blend you in with the

sorry for being not so exact. You can accept written bill. But never accept 
printed bill with some amount written on it.

Sales taxes are indicated ONLY on printed bill. On written bill total amount 
includes sales tax.

> 12 degrees for 20 CZK, though :-)

If you love beer culture and Staropramen, you can also visit brand 
restaurants of Staropramen named "Potrefena husa".

http://www.staropramen.cz/pp/jnp/cz/znackove_restaurace/znackove_restaurace-potrefena_husa-pha_stare_mesto.html
http://www.staropramen.cz/pp/jnp/cz/znackove_restaurace/znackove_restaurace-potrefena_husa-pha_nove_mesto.html
http://www.staropramen.cz/pp/jnp/cz/znackove_restaurace/znackove_restaurace-potrefena_husa-vinohrady.html
http://www.staropramen.cz/pp/jnp/cz/znackove_restaurace/znackove_restaurace-potrefena_husa-pha_dejvice.html

        Regards
                Michal

---

From: "Keith Kyzivat" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 13:09:16 +0100

FYI
I've posted a review of Celnice (a touristy "Pilsner Urquell Original
Restaurant") and Le Cafe Colonial on the ietf68 wiki

http://community.ietf.org/wiki/index.php/Entertainment%2C_Pubs%2C_Attractions%2C_Restaurants

On 3/20/07, Victor M. Grado <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Good_Soldier_%C5%A0vejk ). Becherovka

-- 
Keith Kyzivat

SIPez LLC.
SIP VoIP, IM and Presence Consulting
http://www.SIPez.com
tel: +1 (617) 273-4000
_______________________________________________
68ATTENDEES mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/68attendees