Subject: [68ATTENDEES] Monday: sipping & mmusic sessions

From: Ray Pelletier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 03:23:23 -0400

If you are participating in the sipping session Monday at 0900, or 
mmusic at 1740 this is for you.

We will be trying a jabber experiment by using a professional 
transcriptionist to report the session real time.   It is an experiment 
to see whether this service improves access and participation in the 
sessions for those where English is a second language, or where hearing 
may be difficult because of sound quality, aging ears (like mine), or 
other hearing issues.

Unless otherwise directed by the WG Chairs it is expected the jabber 
rooms are:
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

It is anticipated that a short survey will be available mid-week to 
capture feedback on the experiment.

Ray
IAD

_______________________________________________
68ATTENDEES mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/68attendees

---

From: "Arnoud van Wijk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 10:07:00 +0100

Indeed,
I am using this scribe since december 2000. Many people have seen her. In my
opinion she is one of the best in the world.
I am comparing the real time feed on her laptop and the jabber screen. 
In my case, I need the text readable as close to what the speakers say. With
as low delay as possible.
The jabber delays, since it is line by line. But it looks very good and is
quite useful if you need to read back what it is about for other people who
are not profound deaf like me :-)

I encourage all of you to try it out and also let us all know what you think
of this service. :-)
And suggestions to improve ofcourse.

I am looking if we can get a real-time streaming service aswell next time in
Chicago. So that you could compare and be as close in synch with the speech.

Anyway my compliments to John Pope and Renee and Ray!

This is a fine demonstration that services that are essential for deaf and
hard of hearing people ALSO benefit hearing users!
That is also my message to all the IETF people that the text over IP work
(RFC4103) and related ToIP drafts are not limited to handicapped/special
needs only. Also have a look at the ToIP draft that gives more background
info on real time text and how to use.
[shameless self promotion]
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sipping-toip-07.txt
[/shameless self promotion] :-)

Cheers
Arnoud van Wijk

-----Original Message-----
From: Ray Pelletier [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: maandag 19 maart 2007 8:23
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [68ATTENDEES] Monday: sipping & mmusic sessions

Ray
IAD

---

From: Scott W Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 05:26:20 -0400

It seems that we have multiple goals for scribes.  Here are two I can
think of:

  - For some, we need rapid, word-for-word transcription.  This is a
    good service for those who have trouble hearing, have trouble with
    the language, or are physically not at the meeting.

  - For others, we need brief notes of the essential points in the
    discussion.  For this it helps if the scribe has experience in the
    WG, knows who the speakers are, and knows which points are
    important.

For me, if I am busy in another room but want to monitor a WG session,
I don't want to know every word that is said.  I don't have the cycles
to spend full-time in more than one room simultaneously :-).  I need
to see real-time notes such as "Cullen disagrees with Rohan and thinks
foo is not as important as baz".

So I see value in both, but they are different, and should have
independent jabber "rooms".

---

From: Rohan Mahy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 11:27:32 +0100

I think we should do the transcript next time, but in a separate room:

ex: [email-masked]

thanks,
-rohan

---

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 11:33:27 +0100

I agree. The transcript was very, very helpful -- but it rendered the 
room unusable for any other purpose.

/a

---

From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 11:44:23 +0100

Hi,

actually, the SIPPING chairs asked for two chat rooms, but it seems they 
could not be set up in time.

Cheers,

Gonzalo