Subject: [68ATTENDEES] 802.1X on Nokia E-Series, any success?

From: Bernie Hoeneisen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 18:00:06 +0100 (CET)

Hi!

Has anybody had success configuring the Nokia E-Series Smartphones
(E61 / E70 / ...) with the IETF setup of 802.1X ? There is something about 
configuring 1X on the IETF Wiki:

  http://community.ietf.org/wiki/index.php/Network_%26_Terminal_Room_Info#Wireless

Any further hints for Nokia E-Series?

cheers,
  Bernie

_______________________________________________
68ATTENDEES mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/68attendees

---

From: Morgan Sackett <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 19:05:24 +0100

Not sure if it is clear on the wiki, I'll clean it up so that it is.   
The only EAP type  that is currently supported is PEAP and you must  
use MS-CHAPv2.  If you have any other other configurations attempted  
first it will more than likely fail.

There is a cert that it is self signed, so there is no point in  
trying to validate it.  If anyone wants to use the 802.1x network but  
is continuing to have trouble, please stop by the Help Desk in Chez  
Louis.

Morgan

On Mar 21, 2007, at 6:23 PM, T.J. Kniveton wrote:

> Bernie Hoeneisen wrote:
>> (E61 / E70 / ...) with the IETF setup of 802.1X ? There is  
>> something about configuring 1X on the IETF Wiki:
>>
> So far, no. I tried to configure my E65 to use this network, and  
> configured the EAP plugin according to the wiki parameters, but WPA  
> authentication failed.
>
> I'm not sure what the realm is supposed to be, but since there is  
> no certificate I'm not sure whether that matters. I used ietf68 /  
> ietf68 user/pw, but that apparently didn't work.
>
> TJ
>

Morgan Sackett
VP of Engineering

VeriLAN Event Services, Inc.
215 SE Morrison Street Suite 2000F
Portland, OR 97214

Tel: 503 224-8822
Fax: 503 224-8833
Cell: 503 969-2154

[email-masked]
www.verilan.com

This e-mail contains proprietary information and may be confidential.  
If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby  
notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this  
message is strictly prohibited. If you received this message in  
error, please delete it immediately.

---

From: "T.J. Kniveton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 19:44:37 +0100

> first it will more than likely fail. 
Yep, I turned off all EAP methods except for PEAP. As I mentioned, there 
is no realm listed in the wiki; I don't know whether leaving it blank on 
my phone will give your authentication system an unexpected default (or 
whether it cares). And I selected only MS-CHAPv2, with ietf68 / ietf68.

I'll stop by the help desk with the phone and see if we can figure it out.

TJ

---

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 20:37:54 +0100

On 21-mrt-2007, at 19:05, Morgan Sackett wrote:

> Not sure if it is clear on the wiki, I'll clean it up so that it  
> is.  The only EAP type  that is currently supported is PEAP and you  
> must use MS-CHAPv2.  If you have any other other configurations  
> attempted first it will more than likely fail.

> trying to validate it.  If anyone wants to use the 802.1x network  
> but is continuing to have trouble, please stop by the Help Desk in  
> Chez Louis.

It certainly doesn't work with the Mac, and there are no obvious  
settings to change.

Since the networks share the same channels and the encryption only  
inserts additional overhead, I didn't bother to look at it beyond a  
cursory try.

I was pretty impressed that wireless performance during the planery  
was reasonable, although I wouldn't immediately use the word "fast".  
This has certainly be different in the past.

If the equipment supplies this information, I would be very  
interested to know about the percentages of 802.11a, b and g users.

---

From: Morgan Sackett <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 10:25:05 +0100

We do support the Mac.  You need to pick WPA Enterprise to get the  
username and password prompt.  Additionally, you can go into Internet  
Connect and set up a new 802.1X connection.  In the configuration for  
this network, just turn off all methods except for PEAP.

As far as the percentage of .11a to .11b/g users goes, we are seeing  
approximately 20% of all users.  If you do have capability to use  
802.11a I highly recommend it.

On Mar 21, 2007, at 8:37 PM, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

>> is.  The only EAP type  that is currently supported is PEAP and  
>> you must use MS-CHAPv2.  If you have any other other  
>> configurations attempted first it will more than likely fail.
>
> was reasonable, although I wouldn't immediately use the word  
> "fast". This has certainly be different in the past.
>

Morgan Sackett
VP of Engineering

Tel: 503 224-8822
Fax: 503 224-8833
Cell: 503 969-2154

[email-masked]
www.verilan.com

---

From: Luca Martini <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 03:24:28 -0600

I cannot get it work on my E70.
it would be nice to know which PEAP version they support ....
I have V0 , V1, and V2.
I enabled all of them but it still does not work.

Luca

Bernie Hoeneisen wrote:
> (E61 / E70 / ...) with the IETF setup of 802.1X ? There is something 
> about configuring 1X on the IETF Wiki:
>

---

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 12:10:52 +0100

On 22-mrt-2007, at 10:25, Morgan Sackett wrote:

> username and password prompt.

That part didn't work for me.

> Additionally, you can go into Internet Connect and set up a new  
> 802.1X connection.  In the configuration for this network, just  
> turn off all methods except for PEAP.

Right, that works: you need to do "edit configurations" in Internet  
Connect and then the different authentication methods can be enabled/ 
disabled.

> As far as the percentage of .11a to .11b/g users goes, we are  
> seeing approximately 20% of all users.  If you do have capability  
> to use 802.11a I highly recommend it.

Ok. But what I'm really curious about is the number of b users vs the  
number of g users... 802.11g is really hampered by 802.11b stations,  
it would be nice if the network could be 802.11g-only, but I'm  
guessing that's not happening anytime soon. Still interesting to see  
how many people are still on b these days, though.

---

From: Guy Davies <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 11:30:49 +0000

Hi Luca,

My Mac says that it's PEAPv0.

Rgds,

Guy