Subject: [68ATTENDEES] prepaid Czech SIM

From: "Dan Wing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 22:44:20 -0700

Has anyone noticed kiosks in the airport, or elsewhere, that sell prepaid
Czech SIMs?  

(I have an unlocked GSM phone, but it is SIM-less and I usually buy a
prepaid SIM at the airport.  Some countries only sell them in post offices
(Austria used to do this; I don't know if they still do).)

Thanks,
-d

_______________________________________________
68ATTENDEES mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/68attendees

---

From: Aaron Stone <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 23:10:07 -0700

The airport, the central train station, and the larger malls all have
such kiosks. Most of the major European networks operate in Czech:
T-Mobile, Vodafone, O2 -- but a prepaid sim with the same company in
another country won't work.

On my last visit in July, I was not able to use a Vodafone sim that I'd
bought in Greece (denominated in Euros). I had to buy a Czech sim
(denominated in Koruna). When I flew home through Germany, the Czech sim
did not work, but the Greek sim did!

I'd be interested to learn if some of the prepaid sim chip plans
actually are set up to work between different national currencies?

Aaron

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 10:13:29 +0100

> actually are set up to work between different national currencies?

It is not the currencies that is the issue. The question is what roaming 
agreements the operator that has issued the pre-paid sim has in 
different countries. It is quite common that pre-paid does not allow you 
to roam, thus they are not working. Or it might require that yoou 
contact the operator to unlock that function. However for example 
Vodafone do have agreement with quite many countries within Europe if 
they don't have their own network.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

IETF Transport Area Director & TSVWG Chair
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM/M
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------