Subject: [68ATTENDEES] currency

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 08:11:23 -0700

Hi,

Do I need Euros or Czech Republic Koruny or both?

thanks,
Andy

_______________________________________________
68ATTENDEES mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/68attendees

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 16:30:05 +0100

Czech crowns. You will get bad exchange rates if you spend
Euros locally.

     Brian

---

From: Leslie Daigle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 12:22:01 -0400

Yes.  Exit customs and hang a right -- ignore the "change machine";
ignore the Visa/MC cash advance machine; go to the very very very VERY
end of the terminal, and there are about 4 (different) machines.

And if you take out the rough equiv of $100US, you will get a single
bill.  Sigh.

Leslie.

Derek Atkins wrote:
> Is there an ATM in the airport that will take US Bank ATM Cards and
> deliver CZK?
> 
> -derek
> 
> Brian E Carpenter wrote:

---

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 11:30:09 -0500

> Is there an ATM in the airport that will take US Bank ATM Cards and

According to Rick Steve's book, yes there are ATMs that will take US  
bank cards in the airport and the major train stations. He recommends  
you avoid the currency exchange booths in the airport, which are  
overpriced.

Taxis at the main train station also have a very bad reputation.

Beware that the #1 scam locally appears to be faux "currency  
inspectors", who ask to see your money, declare it to be counterfeit,  
and leave with it.

Any real law enforcement person should have and present a badge - - 
and there ARE plainclothes but badged inspectors on the metro and  
trams. And if anybody seeming like law enforcement takes anything  
from you, get a receipt -- and it should look official.

Apparently scamming tourists is only slightly illegal, but  
impersonating police (to the extent of showing a badge) is a major no- 
no for the locals.

And there are almost as many pickpockets as the Paris Metro (we all  
remember that one, right?). Hang onto your stuff.

--
Dean

---

From: Sven Ubik <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 17:31:55 +0100 (CET)

> And if you take out the rough equiv of $100US, you will get a single

Most ATMs have 200, 1000 and 2000 CZK bills. The trick is to manually 
choose value to maximize number of small bills, such as 1800 (not 2000) or 
3800 (not 4000) CZK.

Regards,

Sven

---

From: Aaron Stone <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 09:32:40 -0700

Would that be a 2000 crown bill? Answers the exchange rate question.

Aaron

---

From: Leslie Daigle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 12:40:07 -0400

Yep.  Apparently, current CZK-USD exchange rate is ~21 CZK to 1 USD

Leslie.

---

From: "Clint Chaplin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 09:45:12 -0700

Which means that a crown is about 5 cents.

When I was last there, I got the impression that the smallest coin was
a crown.  However, towards the end of my trip, I received a 1/2 crown
coin as change from the supermarket.  Are there 1/10 crown coins?

-- 
Clint (JOATMON) Chaplin
Principal Engineer
Corporate Standardization (US)
SISA

---

From: Sandra Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 12:57:49 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

Here's a web site that lists the Czech coins and banknotes, with
links to pictures.

http://www.myczechrepublic.com/basics/czech_currency.html

--Sandy

---

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 13:06:26 -0400

>coin as change from the supermarket.  Are there 1/10 crown coins?

Found via google:

http://www.expats.cz/prague/article/money/czech-currency/

-- 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edward Lewis                                                +1-571-434-5468
NeuStar

Sarcasm doesn't scale.

---

From: Scott W Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 13:20:44 -0400

> you avoid the currency exchange booths in the airport, which are

The same bank's ATM is also at the hotel.