Subject: [68ATTENDEES] London

From: Ben Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 17:27:24 -0500

For anyone from the US who has already arrived, _and_ transferred via  
LHR:

What was the transfer experience like? Did you go through the  
transfer center, or did you transfer landside (i.e. go through  
immigrations and customs).

How strict were they with carryon bag size for you "exactly one carry- 
on"?  Did they actually measure your bag? I've got a combined laptop/ 
camera backpack that may be a cm too thick according to the official  
limits. It's a soft back, so I can squeeze it into the space--which  
may or may not work depending on how they enforce the limit.

Thanks!

Ben.

_______________________________________________
68ATTENDEES mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/68attendees

---

From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 15:33:54 -0700

Not going through now, but LHR transfer makes any U.S. transfer look like a
cake-walk.

You probably are wondering why you have a 2.5+ hour layover: you will need
it.  The security lines go slow and back up, unless you are traveling
Business or First Class on BA, which gets its own security line.  It¹s not a
OneWorld line, so status on AA doesn¹t help.

> may or may not work depending on how they enforce the limit.

_______________________________________________________________________
Notice:  This email message, together with any attachments, may contain
information  of  BEA Systems,  Inc.,  its subsidiaries  and  affiliated
entities,  that may be confidential,  proprietary,  copyrighted  and/or
legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual
or entity named in this message. If you are not the intended recipient,
and have received this message in error, please immediately return this
by email and then delete it.
_______________________________________________
68ATTENDEES mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/68attendees

---

From: "Aaron Stone" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 14:20:07 -0000

On Thu, Mar 15, 2007, Eric Burger <[email-masked]> said:

> Not going through now, but LHR transfer makes any U.S. transfer look
> like a cake-walk.
> 
> You probably are wondering why you have a 2.5+ hour layover: you will
> need it. The security lines go slow and back up, unless you are traveling
> Business or First Class on BA, which gets its own security line. It's
> not a OneWorld line, so status on AA doesn't help.

My Dad tells a story about traveling in Europe after college (in the early
70's, to put a date on us both) and coming upon the entry queues in
London:

 o Britons & Commonwealth: no line, staff waiting.
 o Everyone else: two hour line, short staffed.

So he walked over to the Britons line, apologized for the American
revolution, and handed them his passport. "Good show, about time!" they
said, "But sorry, you'll still have to wait in the queue."

Aaron

---

From: "Natale, Bob" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 18:50:06 -0400

As we are sometimes told as children: "If you have nothing nice to say
about some person/place/thing, say nothing." 

I can only say nothing in this case (BA and LHR).

BobN

-----Original Message-----
From: Ben Campbell [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2007 6:27 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [68ATTENDEES] London

Thanks!

Ben.

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 17:43:12 -0700 (PDT)

Transfers in London are in a sense done "airside" except fo the fact 
that they force you through another document (ticket) and security
check. This is presumably so that:

- They can confiscate any duty free weapons you have purchased on 
  board from that catalog in the seat pocket in front of you.

- They can give you the opportunity to shop and eat in all their fine
  (ahem) airport establishments.

- They can allow you to experience British friendliness and 
  hospitality first hand, when you are in the best possible mood.

Said checkpoint at LHR in the morning is a nightmare, and even worse 
if you have to change terminals. You're probably better off actually 
checking your bag to London, going through arrivals and checking back 
in again at least if the onward carrier is in the same terminal.

Some of us have sworn off London as a transfer point. I just took the
train from Frankfurt airport to Amsterdam and it was quite excellent,
fast and convenient, and certainly not expensive.

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Editor and Publisher,  The Internet Protocol Journal
Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   GSM: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: [email-masked]  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj

---

From: Ben Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 21:30:09 -0500

I get it that transferring through LHR and BA are not so popular. But  
does anyone have a concrete answer to the question about enforcement  
of carry on bag sizes?

Thanks!

Ben.

---

From: "Drage, Keith \(Keith\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 03:53:16 +0100

If going through LHR do not go landside if you can possibly avoid it.
Following the transfer signs and stay airside, you will go through a
quick identification check and a security screening with shorter queues
than you will find landside. 

In LHR they are tending to enforce baggage sizes - more so than any
other airport I've been through. However not sure whether this is just
on landside security, or whether it applies to both landside and
transfer security.

There are some tricks you can play, like take the laptop out of the bag
before they try and put it in the gauge - you're going to have to take
it out anyway for security screening. 

If you do end up having to go landside, then if you are travelling
business, or have a gold card for the airline you are travelling on,
then usually you can get to use the fasttrack lane for both passport
control going out, and security coming back in - however make sure the
airline gives you the appropriate card or sticker to let you do this.

Regards

Keith

> Sent: Friday, March 16, 2007 2:30 AM
> To: Natale, Bob
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [68ATTENDEES] London
> 
> I get it that transferring through LHR and BA are not so 
> popular. But does anyone have a concrete answer to the 
> question about enforcement of carry on bag sizes?
> 
> Thanks!
> 
> Ben.
> 
> > What was the transfer experience like? Did you go through 
> the transfer 
> > center, or did you transfer landside (i.e. go through 
> immigrations and 
> > customs).
> >

---

From: Ben Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 21:58:01 -0500

Hi Keith - followup question inline:

> it out anyway for security screening.

How does the gauge work? I suspect my bag may be a hair on the thick  
side--but it's due to foam padding which is extremely "stuffable".  
That is, with a little force it will fit in a smaller space even when  
full. Will there likely be an opportunity to demonstrate this?

---

From: "Drage, Keith \(Keith\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 04:03:25 +0100

The guage is the standard bent tube thing you see in lots of airports.

If you do get asked to prove your baggage fits, they don't seen to like
seeing things forced in. I've ended up having to repack my bag to take
it through - carelessly place the laptop power supply in your bag and it
will be too wide. 

Regards

Keith

> Sent: Friday, March 16, 2007 2:58 AM
> To: Drage, Keith (Keith)
> Cc: [email-masked]
> > quick identification check and a security screening with shorter 
> > queues than you will find landside.
> >
> > There are some tricks you can play, like take the laptop out of the 
> > bag before they try and put it in the gauge - you're going 
> to have to 
> > take it out anyway for security screening.
> 
> How does the gauge work? I suspect my bag may be a hair on 
> the thick side--but it's due to foam padding which is 
> extremely "stuffable".  
> That is, with a little force it will fit in a smaller space 
> even when full. Will there likely be an opportunity to 
> demonstrate this?
> 
> >
> popular. But

---

From: Stephan Wenger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 06:29:26 +0100

My personal experience is that they are strict on the bag count, but  
not necessarily on the bag size.

Late last year I have seen a number of women crying their eyes out,  
because they carried purses of various sizes in addition to their  
already stuffed rollabouts, and were mercilessly sent out to check in  
one bag.  Same goes with male (US?) tourists and their fanny-packs  
(although in this case it's usually not crying but yelling) :-).   
Duty-free bags count as well.

Stephan

---

From: Robert Loomans <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 16:28:00 +1000

Ben Campbell wrote:
> does anyone have a concrete answer to the question about enforcement of
> carry on bag sizes?

Just done the Terminal 4 to Terminal 1 shuffle and waiting for my flight
to Prague.

The one bag is very real you have to make damned sure you have just one
bag going into security. It was very quiet this morning (5am!) and they
were still enforcing this.

I didn't see anyone pulled up for the size, however. My backpack is a
little too big too, but they don't seem to be too concerned about that.

Rob

-- 
Robert Loomans                                 Email:  [email-masked]
Programmer/Analyst, APNIC                      Phone:    +61 7 3858 3100
http://www.apnic.net                             Fax:    +61 7 3858 3199
_______________________________________________
68ATTENDEES mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/68attendees

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 07:11:23 +0000

On Mar 16, 2007, at 5:29 AM, Stephan Wenger wrote:

> already stuffed rollabouts, and were mercilessly sent out to check  
> in one bag.  Same goes with male (US?) tourists and their fanny- 
> packs (although in this case it's usually not crying but  
> yelling) :-).  Duty-free bags count as well.

I don't know about "crying their eyes out", but I can say that I had  
a similar experience in Heathrow yesterday. I was taking United SBA- 
 >SFO->LHR and British Midland to Dublin. UA was for some reason  
unable to check me in for the BMI flight, so I had to do that at the  
transfer desk in Heathrow. In between the arrival gate and the  
transfer desk there was a station that very expressly was not  
interested in my taking my second bag through.

There is a bit of idiocy here. If they had let me get to the transfer  
desk and then had the two-bag-police do their thing, I could have  
checked the bag in there. I pointed that out to the gentleman  
enforcing the rule, and he kind of shrugged his shoulders. I'm sure  
it is pointed out to him from time to time. He told me that the  
procedure is to (a) go through customs to "enter" the UK, (b) check  
in with BMI leaving with at most one bag, and (c) board from there.

whatever. I did that. Then, noting that the Republic of Ireland is in  
fact a separate country from the United Kingdom, followed signs to  
the "international" gates. Sigh. It seems that the flight to the RoI  
is a "domestic" flight.

Airports. I have decided that there is a lot to know about them that  
isn't worth asking. I don't really want to know.

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 07:12:11 +0000

> little too big too, but they don't seem to be too concerned about  

saw one yesterday.

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 09:20:56 +0100

>> little too big too, but they don't seem to be too concerned about that.

I saw one refused at LHR a couple of weeks ago because it fitted
perfectly in the gauge *except* for its small roller wheels. "Sorry, sir,
you will have to check that in." [repeat until customer believes it]

All transit airports are obnoxious, but I find LHR and CDG to be the
worst.

     Brian

---

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 09:43:47 +0100

> All transit airports are obnoxious, but I find LHR and CDG to be the

FRA is working hard to end up in the same category as those. I  
because of that have started to change in Munich when needed, even  
though FRA is about 30 minutes shorter flying time from CPH that is  
"my home".

    Patrik

---

From: "Drage, Keith \(Keith\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 13:21:12 +0100

The special border arrangements between the UK and the Irish Republic
has been in place since 1919.

I'm sure we told people about it at the time.

Keith 

> From: Fred Baker [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Friday, March 16, 2007 7:11 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> > one bag.  Same goes with male (US?) tourists and their fanny- packs 
> > (although in this case it's usually not crying but
> I don't know about "crying their eyes out", but I can say 
> that I had a similar experience in Heathrow yesterday. I was 
> taking United SBA-  >SFO->LHR and British Midland to Dublin. 
> UA was for some reason unable to check me in for the BMI 
> flight, so I had to do that at the transfer desk in Heathrow. 
> In between the arrival gate and the transfer desk there was a 
> station that very expressly was not interested in my taking 
> my second bag through.
> 
> There is a bit of idiocy here. If they had let me get to the 
> transfer desk and then had the two-bag-police do their thing, 
> I could have checked the bag in there. I pointed that out to 
> the gentleman enforcing the rule, and he kind of shrugged his 
> shoulders. I'm sure it is pointed out to him from time to 
> time. He told me that the procedure is to (a) go through 
> customs to "enter" the UK, (b) check in with BMI leaving with 
> at most one bag, and (c) board from there.
> 
> whatever. I did that. Then, noting that the Republic of 
> Ireland is in fact a separate country from the United 
> Kingdom, followed signs to the "international" gates. Sigh. 
> It seems that the flight to the RoI is a "domestic" flight.
> 
> Airports. I have decided that there is a lot to know about 
> them that isn't worth asking. I don't really want to know.
>

---

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 07:31:12 -0500

> I'm sure we told people about it at the time.

yeah? This seems pretty normative. Where's the standards-track RFC  
documenting it?

--
Dean

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 10:36:34 -0400

Winston Churchill always referred to it as the "so-called Irish  
Republic" or other such words. I believe he
was in charge of these negotiations; he probably regarded the border  
as a temporary measure, like
NAT or MSDP.

Regards
Marshall

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 10:51:42 -0400

Fred Baker says...
> Then, noting that the Republic of Ireland is in

The same is true in the US with flights to Canada: you need your 
passport, but you use the "domestic" terminals and gates.

Barry

---

From: "Clint Chaplin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 08:02:53 -0700

Canada is kinda an anomoly.

There are so many destinations in the US from Canada, but only about 5
or 6 intrenational Canadian airpports.  Given that disparity, the US
customs/immigration found it would be easier and less expensive to do
US customs and immigration at the canadian airpoorts.  So, that's what
is happening; there's a little patch of US in each international
Canadian airport.  So, essentially all flights are domestic.

-- 
Clint (JOATMON) Chaplin
Principal Engineer
Corporate Standardization (US)
SISA

---

From: Janet P Gunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 17:27:31 -0400

I dealt with a similar stuffed shirt today. 

 I was carrying a computer backpack, and a small duffle bag, which held a 
film camera (yeh- I am behind the times), film, and a video camera, plus a 
heavy coat.  No way I was going to check either the computer or the 
cameras and film.

So I opened the duffle bag, took the coat out, and put the  computer bag 
"in " the duffle bag.  I could carry the whole thing with the handles on 
the duffle bag, although only about 10% of the computer bag was actually 
IN the duffel bag.  He didn't try to stop me.  And as soon as I got in the 
actual line for the real security screening, I separated everything again.

BTW, all the signs I saw clearly split destinations into two classes- "UK 
plus IRE" and "International".  Even though RoI has been independent since 
before WWII,  it is an "open" border.  And the Irish Punt was 1:1 tied to 
the English Pound until Ireland decided to go to the Euro.

Janet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a PRIVATE message. If you are not the intended recipient, please 
delete without copying and kindly advise us by e-mail of the mistake in 
delivery. NOTE: Regardless of content, this e-mail shall not operate to 
bind CSC to any order or other contract unless pursuant to explicit 
written agreement or government initiative expressly permitting the use of 
e-mail for such purpose.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Janet P Gunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 17:38:36 -0400

But the same is true in reverse for non-US citizens going through US 
Immigration.

But by having an EU passport AND a green card, (or an EU passport AND a US 
passport) you can usually get a short line at both ends.

Janet

---

From: Ben Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 19:30:02 -0500

So an overcoat would not count as a carry on bag, would it? I mean,  
it's London and all.

I've owned coats that could carry as much in their pockets as a small  
duffle. Too bad I didn't think of that prior to embarking on the  
current journey.

On Mar 16, 2007, at 4:27 PM, Janet P Gunn wrote:

>  I was carrying a computer backpack, and a small duffle bag, which  
> held a film camera (yeh- I am behind the times), film, and a video  
> camera, plus a heavy coat.  No way I was going to check either the  
> computer or the cameras and film.
>
> So I opened the duffle bag, took the coat out, and put the   
> computer bag "in " the duffle bag.  I could carry the whole thing  
> with the handles on the duffle bag, although only about 10% of the  
> computer bag was actually IN the duffel bag.  He didn't try to stop  
> me.  And as soon as I got in the actual line for the real security  
> screening, I separated everything again.
>
> BTW, all the signs I saw clearly split destinations into two  
> classes- "UK plus IRE" and "International".  Even though RoI has  
> been independent since before WWII,  it is an "open" border.  And  
> the Irish Punt was 1:1 tied to the English Pound until Ireland  
> decided to go to the Euro.
>
> Janet
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------- 
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------- 
> ------------------------------------
> This is a PRIVATE message. If you are not the intended recipient,  
> please delete without copying and kindly advise us by e-mail of the  
> mistake in delivery. NOTE: Regardless of content, this e-mail shall  
> not operate to bind CSC to any order or other contract unless  
> pursuant to explicit written agreement or government initiative  
> expressly permitting the use of e-mail for such purpose.
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------- 
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------- 
> ------------------------------------
>
>
> transfer

---

From: Ben Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 06:14:46 -0500

Reporting back:

The connection center at Heathrow (going from terminal 3 to 1) was  
painless. I got through the whole thing in under half an hour. The  
security line was short and quick, so I guess I just timed things  
well. They were not checking carry on bags for size other than by the  
eyeball method. They were being strict on the one bag thing. (About 1  
out of  4 Americans going through at the same time as I were  
attempting to carry 2 bags.)

On Mar 16, 2007, at 7:30 PM, Ben Campbell wrote:

> I've owned coats that could carry as much in their pockets as a  
> small duffle. Too bad I didn't think of that prior to embarking on  
> the current journey.
>
>> computer bag was actually IN the duffel bag.  He didn't try to  
>> stop me.  And as soon as I got in the actual line for the real  
>> security screening, I separated everything again.
>>
>> --------------------------------------------------------------------- 
>> --------------------------------------------------------------------- 
>> --------------------------------------
>> please delete without copying and kindly advise us by e-mail of  
>> the mistake in delivery. NOTE: Regardless of content, this e-mail  
>> shall not operate to bind CSC to any order or other contract  
>> unless pursuant to explicit written agreement or government  
>> initiative expressly permitting the use of e-mail for such purpose.
>> --------------------------------------------------------------------- 
>> --------------------------------------------------------------------- 
>> --------------------------------------
>>
>>

---

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 04:35:14 -0700

At 6:14 AM -0500 3/17/07, Ben Campbell wrote:

> well. They were not checking carry on bags for size other than by 
> the eyeball method. They were being strict on the one bag thing. 
> (About 1 out of  4 Americans going through at the same time as I 
> were attempting to carry 2 bags.)

I did the Terminal 3-to-1 shuffle Friday afternoon London time. 
Afternoons are generally better, I was off the plane quickly and 
walked fast to the Terminal 1/2 bus, which luckily was waiting as I 
arrived, and departed shortly afterwards.  But the security line in 
Terminal 3 was massive!  My inbound flight was late,  and my PRG 
connection was scheduled depart as I entered the security line.  A 
guard let me go to the head of the pre-line line (the line to get to 
the line), but even the priority line (for BA F/J) was long and slow. 
I only made the flight because it was delayed due to the gate staff 
not showing up on time.  Sadly, my bad missed it but was delivered in 
the middle of the night.
-- 
Randall Gellens
Opinions are personal;    facts are suspect;    I speak for myself only
-------------- Randomly-selected tag: ---------------
Whatever is only almost true is quite false, and among the most
dangerous of errors, because being so near truth, it is the more
likely to lead astray.

---

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 04:26:28 -0700

>  Canadian airport.  So, essentially all flights are domestic.

True, but I thought Barry was talking about flights *to* Canada 
*from* the U.S.  In that direction, you clear customs and immigration 
after arriving in Canada, but you generally follow signs to 
"domestic" flights when departing.

-------------- Randomly-selected tag: ---------------
Maybe Computer Science should be in the College of Theology.  -
                                              -R. S. Barton

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 05:49:12 -0400

>>>>> "Ben" == Ben Campbell <[email-masked]> writes:
    Ben> I get it that transferring through LHR and BA are not so
    Ben> popular. But does anyone have a concrete answer to the question
    Ben> about enforcement of carry on bag sizes?

  It is strange. I read recently, either Air Canada or American Airlines
magazine, that carry-on was officially:
    1) bag that fits in the tubes.
    2) a purse
      
  Where it got weird was that they defined a purse to possibly include a
laptop bag. (For me, my laptop bag is my "purse", and usually, it is my
only carry-on)
  My feeling is that most people who want to carry-on their wheelie
suitcase with all their clothes in it are playing social entitlement
games. As in:
       "Look at me, i'm so important that I change flights/plans
       so often, if I checked my bag, it would never catch up with me"

  Having said that, I'm traveling with my leather briefcase as my laptop
bag, and I have almost no space with the toys and the like that I have
for my son.

  We travelled KLM through AMS. Nobody cared about the carryons..

- -- 
]            Bear: "Me, I'm just the shape of a bear."          |  firewalls  [
]   Michael Richardson,    Xelerance Corporation, Ottawa, ON    |net architect[
] [email-masked]      http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/mcr/ |device driver[
] panic("Just another Debian GNU/Linux using, kernel hacking, security guy"); [

---

From: Ross Callon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 12:16:05 -0400

>immigrations and customs).

At the risk of being highly redundant, highly redundant, highly ...

I transferred in LHR yesterday, and it was the worst and slowest
transfer that I have ever had. I had a 1 1/2 hour layover, and my
arriving flight was 15 minutes early, and I still would have missed my
connection if my second flight had been on time (although I suspect
that they held it for about 1/2 hour in order to give people time to get
through the mess).

>may or may not work depending on how they enforce the limit.

I checked a huge bag, and carried on only one very small backpack.
This was due to an ugly experience a few months ago (my second
worse transfer experience ever, also at LHR) where I got to spend
15 minutes squeezing one very small bag into another very small
bag (if someone had been selling carry-on size suitcases on the
spot I could have *easily* put both inside one suitcase). The
experience of carrying only one very small bag for the entire
process was very nice.

Ross

---

From: "GOLDMAN, STUART O \(STUART\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 21:19:58 -0500

Folks,

My plane left Phoenix on time and was over LHR half an hour early. We
then circled for 15 minutes for "congestion control". We then had to
wait on the ground for close to an hour for a free gate. (Thus, about 45
minutes late.)

I ran from terminal 4 to terminal 1. BA advises to allow 75 minutes
travel time between 4 to 1.

Because it was now a very tight connection, I showed the boarding pass
to the lady at FastTrack and she let me though. There was no discussion
about the size of my backpack and I was NOT asked for proof of identity,
just the boarding pass.

I made my connection with time to spare and my checked suitcase made it
as well.

The Hilton taxi driver was waiting for me.

I am using the IETF wireless from my room and the 4th floor and it seems
great.

So far, so good.

Stuart Goldman
Alcatel-Lucent 
[email-masked]
602 493 8438

---

From: Bernie Hoeneisen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 12:50:25 +0100 (CET)

> that they held it for about 1/2 hour in order to give people time to get

This somewhat reminds me to my journey to the last IETF (San Diego), while
changing planes in IAD (Washington, Dulles)... Right before the half an
hour security line, there was 1 1/2 hours to queue for leaving your finger
prints and getting your picture taken (this seems to be really popular in
the US, as people are queing for hours...;-) ).
Anyways, no priority line or whatsoever. I only made my conneting flight
because it was late too...

Oh yeah...and the airline wouldn't allow me to carry my bag on my own
to my acomodation. They insisted me using their baggage delivering
service in the middle of the night...;-)

This time I probably made a new record in short waiting times at airports:
- Departure in ZRH: 3 minutes at check-in, 2 minutes at the security line.
- Landing in Prague: 5 minutes waiting for the luggage, 1 minute at 
Immigration...done. Welcome to Prague...!

Have fun!

cheers,
  Bernie

PS: The local beer tastes really good here...

---

From: Bernie Hoeneisen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 12:50:25 +0100 (CET)

Have fun!

cheers,
  Bernie

---

From: "M.T. Carrasco Benitez" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 13:01:12 +0100

1) Zurich
They will try all the can so you make the connection.
For example, they will you take from the finger down to a car and  
drive you directly to your next plane that they are holding for you:  
it happened to me a few year ago.

2) Quite good:  Frankfurt, Amsterdam

3) Try to avoid: London (they do not care), Paris (they will try all  
they can so you miss your plane)

T.

---

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 05:36:50 -0700

At 1:01 PM +0100 3/19/07, M.T. Carrasco Benitez wrote:

> drive you directly to your next plane that they are holding for 
> you: it happened to me a few year ago.

This may depend on the airline as well as the airport.  For example, 
in LHR I've had AA meet me at the jetbridge of my inbound BA flight, 
walk me down the stairs to the apron, and drive me in a car directly 
to the connecting terminal so I'd make my AA flight.  But I've never 
had BA do this for me in LHR (for either BA or AA arriving flights).

In Narita, I've also had JL meet me at the jetbridge of a late 
inbound AA flight and walk me to my JL connecting flight.

-------------- Randomly-selected tag: ---------------
It wasn't as easy to get programs right as we had thought.
                                           --Wilkes, 1949

---

From: "M.T. Carrasco Benitez" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 15:00:41 +0100

Indeed, it depends on the airline and it works particularly well with  
Swiss and associated airlines. But it also depends on the airport.  
One important factor is that Zurich Airport is smaller.

T.

On 19 Mar 2007, at 13:36, Randall Gellens wrote:

> This may depend on the airline as well as the airport.  For  
> example, in LHR I've had AA meet me at the jetbridge of my inbound  
> BA flight, walk me down the stairs to the apron, and drive me in a  
> car directly to the connecting terminal so I'd make my AA flight.   
> But I've never had BA do this for me in LHR (for either BA or AA  
> arriving flights).
>

---

From: Paul Aitken <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 14:48:09 +0000

Randall Gellens wrote:
> For example, in LHR I've had AA meet me at the jetbridge of my 
> inbound BA flight, walk me down the stairs to the apron, and drive me
> in a car directly to the connecting terminal so I'd make my AA 
> flight.  But I've never had BA do this for me in LHR (for either BA 
> or AA arriving flights).

BA have done this for me at LHR, and I've been on BA flights where
they've prioritised disembarkation of passengers with tight connections.

Unfortunately luggage transfer is not similarly expedited, so it pays to
travel with fresh clothes in your carry-on.

-- 
Paul Aitken
Cisco Systems Ltd, Edinburgh, Scotland.