Subject: [68ATTENDEES] Netdisco at IETF68?

From: Philip Matthews <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 09:25:24 +0100

Does anyone know if the local network is running netdisco this time?

(For those who don't know what netdisco is, it is a tool that tells  
you where a person's laptop is on the wireless network. Useful for  
figuring out where people are if you are trying to find him/her).

- Philip

_______________________________________________
68ATTENDEES mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/68attendees

---

From: Jim Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 09:31:58 +0100

Philip,
	We certainly do have it running in the NOC, but thus far haven't  
setup a public-facing side to it. Honest, it's useful for more than  
just finding out which meeting people are in :-)

	We'll take your comment as a request for public functionality, and  
see what we can do.

	- Jim

---

From: "Larry J. Blunk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 04:53:18 -0400 (EDT)

My DHCP assigned name (dhcp-13c8.ietf68.org) is not resolving from the
outside.   This causes problems with SSH/IMAP servers which attempt
to match reverse and forward entries.

---

From: Morgan Sackett <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 10:28:08 +0100

There was a typo in an earlier version of the reverse zone that is  
causing this problem.  The error was corrected and republished a few  
days ago.  It seems that whatever name server your remote machine is  
using hasn't updated it's cache yet.   We can resolve both forward  
and reverse records for your IP from our name servers as well as from  
dns.interop.net.

> to match reverse and forward entries.

Morgan Sackett
VP of Engineering

VeriLAN Event Services, Inc.
215 SE Morrison Street Suite 2000F
Portland, OR 97214

Tel: 503 224-8822
Fax: 503 224-8833
Cell: 503 969-2154

[email-masked]
www.verilan.com

This e-mail contains proprietary information and may be confidential.  
If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby  
notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this  
message is strictly prohibited. If you received this message in  
error, please delete it immediately.

---

From: "Larry J. Blunk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 05:39:06 -0400 (EDT)

Sorry, this is a routing issue, not DNS.  Can't
get to networks where a more specific is advertised
to Abilene and a less specific aggregate is announced
to commodity providers.  I.e., 198.108.60.0/24 and
207.75.164.0/23.

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007, Morgan Sackett wrote:

> There was a typo in an earlier version of the reverse zone that is causing
> this problem.  The error was corrected and republished a few days ago.  It
> seems that whatever name server your remote machine is using hasn't updated
> it's cache yet.   We can resolve both forward and reverse records for your IP
> from our name servers as well as from dns.interop.net.
> 
> 
> This e-mail contains proprietary information and may be confidential. If you
> are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that
> any dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is strictly
> prohibited. If you received this message in error, please delete it
> immediately.
> 
> 
> 
> !DSPAM:45fe57fd90031050416456!
>

---

From: "Don Fedyk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 05:47:07 -0400

Hi

I used IETF68-a yesterday no problems. This morning I had to switch to
IETF68 get network access (IETF68-a associated but I could not see the
WEB etc). I'm in Grand Ballroom if that makes a difference. I have not
tried again since ~9:00 am. 

Don

---

From: Jim Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 10:57:37 +0100

Larry,
	Our primary uplink  is via CESNet, which is a local research  
network. They have commodity connectivity from TelliaSonera and  
connect to the R&E community via GEANT2 (operated by DANTE). We got  
the IETF connectivity up and running to CESNet late last week, but  
got resistance from DANTE when we requested that they transit our  
block across GEANT2. We got past the political block, but they didn't  
have the staff to make the required changes until 6am this morning.  
At 6am this morning, the folks at the DANTE and CESNet NOCs tried to  
make the required changes, but were unsuccessful. At 8:30, we asked  
the CESNet folks to prefer their routes from Tellia so we'd have 99%+  
commodity connectivity. The only destinations which are currently  
affected are ones that are advertising more specifics over the R&E  
networks.

	We're working with the GEANT2 folks now and hope to have a solution  
that we can implement early tomorrow morning (our low point in IETF  
usage).

	Our apologies for anyone who's affected.

	- Jim

On Mar 19, 2007, at 10:39 AM, Larry J. Blunk wrote:

>> causing

---

From: Jim Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 12:30:49 +0100

Gentlepeople,
	We've been able to work with the DANTE folks to get the appropriate  
holes punched through their ACLs,  so that we should now have  
reachability to all of the dual-homed sites on the R&E networks.  We  
will wait for a slow moment in the meeting to switch to advertising  
to the R&E networks as well.

	Please let us know at [email-masked] or open a ticket at  
hdesk.ietf68.org if you still have trouble.
	
	Thanks for your patience.

	- Jim

On Mar 19, 2007, at 10:57 AM, Jim Martin wrote:

> block across GEANT2. We got past the political block, but they  
> didn't have the staff to make the required changes until 6am this  
> morning. At 6am this morning, the folks at the DANTE and CESNet  
> NOCs tried to make the required changes, but were unsuccessful. At  
> 8:30, we asked the CESNet folks to prefer their routes from Tellia  
> so we'd have 99%+ commodity connectivity. The only destinations  
> which are currently affected are ones that are advertising more  
> specifics over the R&E networks.
>
> 	We're working with the GEANT2 folks now and hope to have a  
> solution that we can implement early tomorrow morning (our low  
> point in IETF usage).
>