Subject: [68ATTENDEES] Social

From: "T.J. Kniveton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 05:14:29 -0700

I found the food excellent with even a decent number of vegetarian 
choices (relative to other restaurants here), for those so inclined. The 
variety of food, just like the Hilton's breakfast buffet, was quite 
large with a plentiful spread of tasty items.

The place itself was a nice venue, and the staff were circulating quite 
frequently just like at the welcome reception. No reported security 
breaches either.

TJ

_______________________________________________
68ATTENDEES mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/68attendees

---

From: Ed Jankiewicz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 15:58:56 +0100

As a relatively uniformed tourist, my feeling was that the welcome 
reception could have been in any Hilton conference room anywhere in the 
world, while the social captured local flavor and color.  Given our long 
days of "Protocol Smackdown" it is really nice to get a quick taste of 
the local culture (other than a helpful hand in your pocket on the train.)

The welcome reception is always going to be "hotel-ish" due to location, 
however I'm sure any decent place in a tourist or business center can 
come up with something more appropriate.  Don't know what's in the works 
for Chicago, but deep dish pizza and the blues would be appropriate.

It would be interesting to plot the plummeting beer prices as the week 
wears on.  From a high of 120 Ck on Sunday to a claim of 9 Ck (with 5 Ck 
returned for the empty bottle) it has been some of the more stimulating 
research presented this week.  Please everyone, we need more data 
points.  Many hands make light work, even at 0,5l per lift.  If anyone 
plans to be in the Chicago area in the next 4 months, we can get a head 
start on the next graph.

I was going to facetiously complain about the social (My beer was so 
full it was overflowing!  I had to eat THREE desserts because there were 
TOO MANY CHOICES!!   I thought I needed to save a drink ticket for my 
coffee BUT IT WAS FREE!!!!!)  Kudos to the advance team on this one. 

And the locals alway smile when I say 'please' and 'thank you' in my 
poor Polish pronunciation, which could be taken for really bad Czech.
Na dzrowie!
Ed J.

---

From: Paul Aitken <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 16:41:00 +0000

Ed Jankiewicz wrote:

> Don't know what's in the works for Chicago, but deep dish pizza

+1

> and the blues

-100

> would be appropriate.

-- 
Paul Aitken
Cisco Systems Ltd, Edinburgh, Scotland.

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 18:09:52 +0100

>> Don't know what's in the works for Chicago, but deep dish pizza

Humm...

+100

	Henrik

---

From: Tony Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 13:24:22 -0400

IIRC last Chicago, the social was at a jazz club on a pier that was
pretty cool.

	Tony Hansen
	[email-masked]

---

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 10:39:54 -0700

>  IIRC last Chicago, the social was at a jazz club on a pier that was

As I recall, it was held in a large room on a pier, with three booked 
entertainers.  One of them was an excellent blues band (Ma 
somebody?).  Other than the heavy mosquitoes from the water 
proximity, it was excellent.

-- 
Randall Gellens
Opinions are personal;    facts are suspect;    I speak for myself only
-------------- Randomly-selected tag: ---------------
Inside every large problem is a small problem struggling to get out.

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan \(Dan\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 19:55:48 +0200

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Randall Gellens [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2007 7:40 PM
> To: Tony Hansen; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [68ATTENDEES] Social, reception, etc
> 
> As I recall, it was held in a large room on a pier, with 
> three booked entertainers.  One of them was an excellent 
> blues band (Ma somebody?).  Other than the heavy mosquitoes 
> from the water proximity, it was excellent.
> 
> --
> Randall Gellens

Yes, it was blues, Koko Taylor was the soloist if I am not mistaken. 

Dan

---

From: Michael StJohns <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 14:09:52 -0400

Navy Pier - the ballroom has been there since about the mid 70's or earlier. 

At 13:39 3/21/2007, Randall Gellens wrote:
>As I recall, it was held in a large room on a pier, with three booked entertainers.  One of them was an excellent blues band (Ma somebody?).  Other than the heavy mosquitoes from the water proximity, it was excellent.
>
>-- 
>Randall Gellens