Subject: [68ATTENDEES] IETF-68 - Beverage Breaks

From: IETF Secretariat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 10:11:12 -0400

Reminder: Since breakfast is included in the hotel room rate, there will
be only beverages available during the hours of 08:00 - 09:00 Monday -
Friday during the IETF Meeting.

Only 6 days left until the IETF meeting in Prague. You can register on
line at: http://www.ietf.org/meetings/68-IETF.html

March 12, Monday - Registration cancellation cut-off at 17:00 ET (21:00
UTC/GMT), send a message to [email-masked] if you need to cancel
your registration.

March 17, Saturday - Final Pre-registration and Pre-Payment cut-off at
17:00 ET (21:00 UTC/GMT).  After this time, you will need to register on
site during regular registration hours.

IETF Secretariat

_______________________________________________
68ATTENDEES mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/68attendees

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 20:43:52 +0100

> Friday during the IETF Meeting.

Sorry that doesn't make much sense :-)

I'd rather have preferred IETF beverages in afternoon, than in the 
morning, because hotel breakfast is free.

Or do I get something wrong.

Alex

> site during regular registration hours.

______________________________________________________________________
This email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security System.
For more information please visit http://www.messagelabs.com/email 
______________________________________________________________________

---

From: Benny Halevy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 21:52:05 +0200

> Or do I get something wrong.

We probably need an RFC to define the exact semantics for beverages 
availability ;-)

The way I read it is that beverages will be available all day long,
but food will not be available 8 - 9 am.
I.e. "only beverages" refers to to what is served between 8 to 9 rather
than beverages will be served _only_ between 8 - 9.

Benny

---

From: "Silverton Aron-C1710C" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 15:52:43 -0400

Alex,

It means that during 08:00 - 09:00 there will be drinks provided by the
conference, but no food.  If you want food in the morning, you can get
the hotel breakfast which is included in your room rate.

During the other breaks there will be the usual drink/snack.  At least
that is my understanding.

-A

----Original Message----
From: Alexandru Petrescu [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2007 2:44 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [68ATTENDEES] IETF-68 - Beverage Breaks

> IETF Secretariat wrote:
>> Reminder: Since breakfast is included in the hotel room rate, there
>> will be only beverages available during the hours of 08:00 - 09:00
>> Monday - Friday during the IETF Meeting.
> 
>> Only 6 days left until the IETF meeting in Prague. You can register
>> on line at: http://www.ietf.org/meetings/68-IETF.html
>> 
>> March 12, Monday - Registration cancellation cut-off at 17:00 ET
>> (21:00 UTC/GMT), send a message to [email-masked] if you
>> need to cancel your registration. 
>> 
>> March 17, Saturday - Final Pre-registration and Pre-Payment cut-off
>> at 17:00 ET (21:00 UTC/GMT).  After this time, you will need to
>> register on site during regular registration hours.
>> 
>> IETF Secretariat
>>

---

From: "Beaulieu, Marcia" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 15:59:12 -0400

Your understanding is correct. 

Thanks,

Macia

-----Original Message-----
From: Silverton Aron-C1710C [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2007 2:53 PM
To: Alexandru Petrescu; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [68ATTENDEES] IETF-68 - Beverage Breaks

Alex,

-A

---

From: Thierry Ernst <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 23:17:31 +0100

I agree it doesn't make much sense ... 

Those of us who don't stay at the Hilton get a discount on the IETF
fees, then, right ?

Thierry.

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 15:52:43 -0400

-- 
Thierry ERNST, PhD 
INRIA Rocquencourt France Project-Team IMARA / JRU LARA
http://www.lara.prd.fr +33 1 39 63 59 30 (office)

---

From: "T.J. Kniveton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 16:37:59 -0700

> Those of us who don't stay at the Hilton get a discount on the IETF
You're supposed to sit in the Hilton cafeteria in the morning, pretend 
like you are staying there, and eat the free breakfast.

TJ

---

From: "Eastlake III Donald-LDE008" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 21:57:55 -0400

So, by that logic, anyone not staying at the Hilton should pay a higher
registration since it is very likely that the function space charge at
the Hilton vastly reduced in return for the sleeping room pickup... In
fact you will probably never get even a majority to believe that the
charges are exactly fair. Trying to get there by making registration
variable based on a factor is really a policy question, not a fairness
question as everyone's view of fairness is different.

Donald

-----Original Message-----
From: Thierry Ernst [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2007 5:18 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [68ATTENDEES] IETF-68 - Beverage Breaks

Thierry.

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 09:25:11 +0100

> Those of us who don't stay at the Hilton get a discount on the IETF

Your logic is wrong. The fee simply doesn't include breakfast.

I assume that as in many European cities, most hotels in Prague
offer a room rate including breakfast.

     Brian

---

From: Ray Pelletier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 05:30:38 -0400

I would note that all 11 hotels with which contracts were made have a 
buffet breakfast included.
http://www.ietf.org/meetings/68-hotels.html
Ray

---

From: Shane Kerr <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 10:57:23 +0100

Ray,

That's fine I guess. At least nobody will be hungry. ;)

Assuming breakfast cost 5 euros per person per day, that's 25 euros per attendee
that NeuStar doesn't have to spend. Not a lot, but not insignificant. Basically,
it seems like the IETF has reduced costs at the expense of attendees and not
reduced fees.

Much more importantly, the breakfast was a "hallway activity". I found that
there was a lot of cross-area talk, and a chance to meet people working in
diverse areas, and newcomers, and old-timers, and so on. This is a large part of
the value of meeting face-to-face instead of doing everything via mailing lists.
And now it's gone, eliminated in a sweep of a bureaucratic pen.

- --
Shane

---

From: Ray Pelletier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 06:48:39 -0400

Shane Kerr wrote:

>-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>Hash: SHA1
>
>Ray,
>
>that NeuStar doesn't have to spend.
>
Food and beverage costs are not picked up by the Host.

> Not a lot, but not insignificant. Basically,
Fees actually rose this year to $600 to cover increases in costs.  The 
2007 budget took into account the F&B budget for all contracted 
meetings, including Prague and Chicago, when it was adopted.  All 11 
hotels with whom we contracted provided breakfast buffets with the room 
costs.  It would have been wasteful to have twice provided for breakfast 
and would have resulted in further changes in the budget, including the 
possibility of increasing reg fees.

>And now it's gone, eliminated in a sweep of a bureaucratic pen.
I agree.  We heard a great deal of positive feedback in San Diego about 
having breaks in a large room where people could interact.  We are 
loking to replicate that experience elsewhere, however, space 
limitations in the Prague Hilton did not permit this time.  It remains 
on our checklist.
Ray

>-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
>Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)
>Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org
>
>iD8DBQFF+moDMsfZxBO4kbQRAgKWAJ4wgG7eVoeD8zWWCXtMoYBgeevCPACgslAn
>qRod+BGR3B/cds8C0CPCaxA=
>=logJ
>-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
>
>
>  
>

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 13:47:05 +0100

On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 09:52:05PM +0200,
 Benny Halevy <[email-masked]> wrote 

> We probably need an RFC to define the exact semantics for beverages

I disagree. It should be an ION, not a RFC. (See RFC 4693)

---

From: Ken Raeburn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 12:33:51 -0400

> I disagree. It should be an ION, not a RFC. (See RFC 4693)

Do we get deIONized water?

Ken