Subject: RE: [68ATTENDEES] Travel Fairness Doctrine

From: "Antoin Verschuren" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 11:16:34 +0200

Andy Bierman wrote:
> 
> The level of de-humanization, indifference, mixed in with
> incompetence and economic pressures, has reached a new high,
> or rather a new low.  Unless you are very rich, the sir travel
> experience 
> is just something you have to endure to go to an IETF.
> (My carrier's employees seemed united in their quest to mess up at
> every step. I hope I get my luggage back someday.)
> 
> As much as I like having the IETF near Los Angeles often,
> it is clearly not fair to many other in the IETF, especially
> in Europe and Asia.

I aggree fully here.
I think it's a simple answer of "share the burden fair".
Do 3 different continents a year to give everyone an equal opportunity
to attend, and equal burden of getting there.

It might also help to decrease the number of ignorant mails on this
lists that sugest that culture outside North America is strange by
default.
It helps people from that area to remind that others might have the same
view about their own habbits and learn there is an outside world for
everyone that should be taken into considderation when cooperating in
something global as the IETF.

Antoin Verschuren
SIDN

_______________________________________________
68ATTENDEES mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/68attendees

---

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 03:39:09 -0700

> something global as the IETF.

Actually, I think we should leave it to the IAD to come up with
the plan to establish fairness, and the IETF Chair to decide if
it isn't.

IMO, the interval over which fairness is measured has to be longer
than one year to allow more flexibility for all the meeting logistics
we already discussed to death.  I would pick 3 years.  (I wonder
how how we have rated on your 3 continent test over an
overlapping 9 meeting interval?)

My main point is that it is not just travel budget that is
being shared unequally by having so many meeting in North America.

(2 more cents -- as great as Prague was, I would rather stick
to hub cities like London.)

> SIDN

Andy

---

From: Derek Atkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 13:25:36 +0200

> overlapping 9 meeting interval?)

Also keep in mind that sometimes the plan falls through so other plans
need to take over.  For example, Vancouver was a fall-through of a plan
to go to Asia.  Do you olan to take that into account?

> to hub cities like London.)

"Hub Cities" is in the eye of the beholder (or perhaps in the eye of
your preferred airlines).  Prague is a Hub City for me, as is Amsterdam.
Getting to London is no easier for me (assuming I want to stick with my
airlines).

-derek

-- 
Derek Atkins
Principal Software Engineer

PGP Corporation
4 Farragut Ave
Somerville, MA  02144

+1 617 623 3745 | [email-masked]

PGP Corporation -- Rest Secured.(TM)

PGP Fingerprint:
0FEE 5EA1 FF22 E0C9 4FFE
631A 9232 FF93 1C80 1DB7

This email and any attachments thereto may contain private,
confidential, and privileged material for the sole use of the intended
recipient. Any review, copying, or distribution of this email (or any
attachments thereto) by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not
the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately and
permanently delete the original and any copies of this email and any
attachments thereto.