Subject: [68ATTENDEES] Annoying Reception Food Service Protocol (ARFSP)

From: Ross Finlayson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 17:57:02 +0100

Ok, let's guess.  Was the unusual food service at thie evening's 
reception - where food (except, oddly enough, for cheese and 'rabbit 
food') was delivered solely by mobile humans with trays - due to:
	1/ Some unorthodox Czech health department regulation?
	2/ Excess employment (perhaps a legacy of the country's 
communist past)?
	3/ A misguided attempt to promote friendly interaction with the locals?
	4/ Training for the Czech Olympic Weightlifting team?, or
	5/ A devious way to limit food supply (and thus costs)?

     Ross.

ps. By the way, I hope nobody is paying 12 Kc for a beer at this 
hotel, when - just a few hundred meters away - there are bars selling 
beer for less than 1/3 of this price.  Just Say No to hotel price 
gouging!

_______________________________________________
68ATTENDEES mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/68attendees

---

From: "Greg Mirsky" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 10:35:38 -0700

Communism? On a contrary. It's capitalism 101 - you get only what is paid for. Communism never was built, as a matter of fact, and socialism was known for freebies (though not for all).

Cheers,
Greg

-----Original Message-----
From: Ross Finlayson [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Sun 3/18/2007 9:57 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [68ATTENDEES] Annoying Reception Food Service Protocol (ARFSP)

     Ross.

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 19:02:03 +0100

I thought it was rather nice. It was in fact how we did food at my  
daughter's wedding last August. We made sure there was enough food  
for a light meal, but didn't make people sit to eat it. Instead we  
had servers wandering around with trays.

On Mar 18, 2007, at 5:57 PM, Ross Finlayson wrote:

> reception - where food (except, oddly enough, for cheese and  
> 'rabbit food') was delivered solely by mobile humans with trays -  
> due to:
> 	2/ Excess employment (perhaps a legacy of the country's communist  
> past)?
> hotel, when - just a few hundred meters away - there are bars  
> selling beer for less than 1/3 of this price.  Just Say No to hotel  
> price gouging!
>

---

From: Janet P Gunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 14:04:20 -0400

Beer for 4Kc?  That is about $0.20!

Janet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a PRIVATE message. If you are not the intended recipient, please 
delete without copying and kindly advise us by e-mail of the mistake in 
delivery. NOTE: Regardless of content, this e-mail shall not operate to 
bind CSC to any order or other contract unless pursuant to explicit 
written agreement or government initiative expressly permitting the use of 
e-mail for such purpose.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ross Finlayson <[email-masked]> 
03/18/2007 12:57 PM

To
[email-masked]
cc

Subject
[68ATTENDEES] Annoying Reception Food Service Protocol (ARFSP)

                 3/ A misguided attempt to promote friendly interaction 
with the locals?

     Ross.

---

From: Ross Finlayson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 19:10:09 +0100

>Beer for 4Kc?  That is about $0.20!

Yep, I accidentally dropped a zero.  The hotel charges 120 Kc (about 
$US6) for a beer; most of the rest of Prague charges less than 1/3 of 
this.

	Ross.

---

From: Bernie Hoeneisen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 19:45:51 +0100 (CET)

What was your problem with the food at the reception? The food was good, 
the staff nice, and there was more than enough of it. The only problem 
was in the beginning they seemed to have a supply problem, but after that 
it was fine.

About the beer price:
I remember to have paid higher prize for a "beer" at other IETF meeting 
hotels. And it is everywhere the same, once you leave the hotel, the beer 
gets cheaper. And the beer they serve here is worth the price.

cheers,
  Bernie

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007, Ross Finlayson wrote:

> Ok, let's guess.  Was the unusual food service at thie evening's reception - 
> where food (except, oddly enough, for cheese and 'rabbit food') was delivered 
> solely by mobile humans with trays - due to:
> ps. By the way, I hope nobody is paying 12 Kc for a beer at this hotel, when 
> - just a few hundred meters away - there are bars selling beer for less than 
> 1/3 of this price.  Just Say No to hotel price gouging!

---

From: Janet P Gunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 14:54:07 -0400

I thought it was fine.  The food was good, and the servers made it to all 
corners of the room.  I particularly appreciated the servers with water 
and juice.  And they were still coming around with fresh food when I left.

I only wish there had been some of the good Czech bread to go with the 
cheese.

Considering the horror stories about Czech food I had from a friend who 
visited in communist times, I have been very happy with the food here.

Janet

To
[email-masked]
cc

Subject

     Ross.

---

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 14:21:56 -0700

I was very happy with the food!  I thought this was one of the best 
receptions, food-wise, of all time.  There were a good number of 
stationary food areas, and the roving servers with the more-desired 
foods was an excellent idea.  It allowed people to stay in small 
groups, talking, and still get something to eat.  It avoided the 
usual mass lines at the food stations.

And the beverage service was terrific.  It was never a problem to get 
some mineral water -- within a few minutes someone came by with a 
tray!

And at most receptions, within 45 minutes there is no more food being 
put out, whereas here they had plenty even when the lights came on at 
the end.

Very well done, in my opinion.
-- 
Randall Gellens
Opinions are personal;    facts are suspect;    I speak for myself only
-------------- Randomly-selected tag: ---------------
If you attack stupidity you attack an entrenched interest with friends
in government and every walk of public life, and you will make small
progress against it.                               --Samuel Marchbanks

---

From: "Petre Dini \(pdini\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 14:36:25 -0700

So, let us change the subject to  "Excellent Reception Food Service
Protocol".
I concur too.

This gives the right credit to the organizers.

-- Petre

-----Original Message-----
From: Randall Gellens [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Sunday, March 18, 2007 2:22 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [68ATTENDEES] Annoying Reception Food Service Protocol
(ARFSP)

I was very happy with the food!  I thought this was one of the best
receptions, food-wise, of all time.  There were a good number of
stationary food areas, and the roving servers with the more-desired
foods was an excellent idea.  It allowed people to stay in small groups,
talking, and still get something to eat.  It avoided the usual mass
lines at the food stations.

And the beverage service was terrific.  It was never a problem to get
some mineral water -- within a few minutes someone came by with a tray!

Very well done, in my opinion.
--
Randall Gellens
Opinions are personal;    facts are suspect;    I speak for myself only
-------------- Randomly-selected tag: --------------- If you attack
stupidity you attack an entrenched interest with friends in government
and every walk of public life, and you will make small
progress against it.                               --Samuel Marchbanks

---

From: David Partain <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 22:43:57 +0100

Hi all,

> Very well done, in my opinion.

I completely agree.  I thought the food service worked well despite my 
initial scepticism.  I never had to wait more than a few minutes for 
someone with food to come by, the servers were friendly, the mineral 
water was never far away...  I don't know that it's a model I want to 
be instituted everywhere, but I thought it was a very pleasant event.

David