Subject: [69ATTENDEES] Grand ballroom and jackhammer

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 09:47:35 -0500

WGs that are meeting in the Grand Ballroom should be aware that there 
is a jackhammer being used just outside the room. Your speakers will 
need to speak really loudly, but even then, lots of information is 
being lost.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium

_______________________________________________
69ATTENDEES mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/69attendees

---

From: Joe Abley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 09:51:06 -0500

On 24-Jul-2007, at 09:47, Paul Hoffman wrote:

> WGs that are meeting in the Grand Ballroom should be aware that  
> there is a jackhammer being used just outside the room. Your  
> speakers will need to speak really loudly, but even then, lots of  
> information is being lost.

In an ideal world someone would ask the jackhammers to stop during  
meeting slots.

Joe

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 10:54:23 -0400

Ditto for Crystal.

- Ralph

---

From: Thomas Roessler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 09:55:09 -0500

On 2007-07-24 09:51:06 -0500, Joe Abley wrote:

> In an ideal world someone would ask the jackhammers to stop
> during meeting slots.

Guess what, a number of people have tried that.  Allegedly, the
hotel is trying to locate where that jackhammer is operating to make
it stop (which seems to have happened just now); I don't know why
that's apparently a non-trivial exercise.

Cheers,
-- 
Thomas Roessler, W3C  <[email-masked]>  +33-4-89063488

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 09:59:18 -0500

State Ballroom was also in pretty bad situation.
And yes, the secretariat was on this problem
in under 15 seconds after it started. As someone
said, the hotel staff was trying to locate the
jackhammer :-( and that appears to have taken
a surprising amount of time. Then again,
sound travels in funny ways through structures.

The noise has stopped now, maybe they found
the source...

Jari

---

From: Nico <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 09:58:53 -0500

> that's apparently a non-trivial exercise.

Yesterday they had a similar problem with *smoke* from soldering;
*smoke*.

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 11:10:38 -0500

> Yesterday they had a similar problem with *smoke* from soldering;

I think we need to include other harmful activities in our
"no smoking in the hotel" policy from IETF-68...

Jari

---

From: Tim Chown <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 19:08:32 +0100

> The noise has stopped now, maybe they found

Well it's started again for the 1pm sessions.... quite loud in Ballroom.

Tim

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 13:24:16 -0500

This is clearly a pervasive problem this week.

In a Salon room, right now, we've been getting hit with some loud periodic 
buzzing machine sounds on the other side of wall, where the connecting door is 
marked 'construction'.  It is just occasional enough, and just below the 
volume level, so that the meeting is not being disrupted, but it is far, far 
beyond what a meeting group should have to tolerate.

Is it reasonable that a paying group, like ours, has to keep on top of this issue?

(That's a question about the responsibility of the hotel, not about the 
Secretariat?  For that matter, I obviously don't mean it as a question...)

d/

-- 

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking
   bbiw.net

---

From: Michael Graff <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 20:29:58 -0500

In the Monroe room during dnsops, we had to put up with both the low 
bass sound of hammering, which sounded like someone hitting the floor 
with a sledge from a distance away, to the scrape-scrape-scrape of a 
shovel.  Enough that at one point someone said into the microphone, "Can 
we please have the shoveling stop?"  It did not, of course, but it was 
rather disruptive.

I can handle being woken up 30 minutes early in the morning.  I really 
do not think we are getting a good deal out of this place if we cannot 
hear the meetings, even with microphones.

--Michael

---

From: Tim Chown <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 22:32:36 +0100

> hear the meetings, even with microphones.

Yesterday around 6am, maybe earlier, I heard what sounded like my next
door room neighbour sawing up his bed into tiny pieces.   For at least
one hour.  

Since we have some kind of long-term deal with Hilton (I believe?) then
presumably we can use that relationship to help reduce such building
works during conferences in the future.

-- 
Tim

---

From: Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 14:41:13 -0700

> works during conferences in the future.

Normally having a long term contract with a hotel chain is a license for
them to screw you on the incidentals in exchange for more predictable
room and conference space rates.

---

From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 15:25:08 -0700

With half the hotel blocked off for renovations I am pretty displeased that the main throughfare from the lobby to the third floor is blocked off for a 'Private Party'.

The hotel should have the courtesy to keep all throughfares clear at all times. Even more so when the elevator service is difficult to find on some floors due to the renovations.