Subject: [69ATTENDEES] hand drums?

From: Jeff Hodges <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 16:57:14 -0700

who was it that brought the hand drums this eve (yes, i shud know yer name, sorry)?

thx,

=Jeff

_______________________________________________
69ATTENDEES mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/69attendees

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 19:53:58 -0700 (PDT)

Jeff,

That would be Spencer Dawkins and we all just sort of join in...

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Editor and Publisher,  The Internet Protocol Journal
Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   Mobile: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: [email-masked]  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj

---

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 06:10:27 -0500

Hi, Jeff,

>> who was it that brought the hand drums this eve (yes, i shud know yer 
>> name,
>> sorry)?
>
> Jeff,
>

And thanks to others who joined in, at this and previous IETFs. This was the 
first IETF where we had attendee kids joining us - Mary Barnes' youngest, on 
Monday night, IIRC. I look forward to having Darwin join us.

And please note that there is no audition required - we have enough to 
share...

This tradition started at IETF 41 in LA. I had attended JavaOne the previous 
week in San Francisco, and had purchased a doumbek that I happened to be 
carrying when I met Aaron Falk - Aaron is also a drummer, so while we were 
co=chairing PILC, we started every working group meeting with a short 
drumming break.

Although we were also drumming at plenaries, we stopped this practice as a 
courtesy during the ADMIN-REST period, because everyone who had been 
participating in ADMIN-REST discussions seemed to arrive at the plenary with 
a severe headache.

My favorite memories, and there have been a bunch of them, were

(1) drumming at the park outside the hotel in Oslo at about 1 AM (in late 
July, it was still "day"-light) and the only reason we stopped at 1 AM was 
because it started to rain,

(2) drumming at the park outside the hotel in Washington, DC (Aaron had 
driven his family down, so was able to bring a large djembe in the car),

(3) drumming at the entertainment park during the social in Orlando - I 
still had my doumbek cover then, and someone left a dollar bill on it while 
we were playing. That's the entire salary I've collected as a drummer after 
turning 18, and Aaron and I tore it in half - I still have my half.

(4) getting stopped in airport security in Yokohama (aluminum doumbeks look 
quite "interesting" when you x-ray the bag they are in - I was best able to 
explain to the nice Japanese security types by just playing the drums, 
standing in the checkpoint area).

I've mostly moved to small frame drums for IETFs, because they are so easy 
to pack. At this IETF, I had four frame drums (three nested), one 
tambourine, one Pandeiro (looks like a tambourine, but the jingles are 
"choked", so they don't have the same bright tinkling sound), and a brass 
doumbek - and could carry all of them in one hand.

So - a couple of things "in advance" -

(1) I'd like to invite people to bring small hand drums to Vancouver - see 
you there, and

(2) I'd like to apologize to my current co-chair, Eric Burger, who was not 
warned about my drumming past during discussions with Jon about adding me as 
co-chair.

Thanks,

Spencer

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 04:25:20 -0700 (PDT)

One of these days, the planets will align and our ad-hoc APRICOT band, 
"The Packet Droppers," will join Spencer and co for a pre-plenary 
concert. Until then, you'll have to make do with some pictures:

http://www.yikes.com/~ole/PD-Bali/index.html

Or maybe we should just combine IETF and APRICOT :-) :-)

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007, Spencer Dawkins wrote:

> co=chairing PILC, we started every working group meeting with a short drumming
> break.
> 
> participating in ADMIN-REST discussions seemed to arrive at the plenary with a
> severe headache.
> 
> (2) drumming at the park outside the hotel in Washington, DC (Aaron had driven
> his family down, so was able to bring a large djembe in the car),
> 
> (3) drumming at the entertainment park during the social in Orlando - I still
> had my doumbek cover then, and someone left a dollar bill on it while we were
> playing. That's the entire salary I've collected as a drummer after turning
> 18, and Aaron and I tore it in half - I still have my half.
> 
> I've mostly moved to small frame drums for IETFs, because they are so easy to
> pack. At this IETF, I had four frame drums (three nested), one tambourine, one
> Pandeiro (looks like a tambourine, but the jingles are "choked", so they don't
> have the same bright tinkling sound), and a brass doumbek - and could carry
> all of them in one hand.
> 
> (1) I'd like to invite people to bring small hand drums to Vancouver - see you
> there, and
>

---

From: Michael Graff <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 11:06:25 -0500

> standing in the checkpoint area).

I have a cast aluminum dumbek (same drum, different spelling) which I take to 
Pennsic (http://www.pennsicwar.org/) every year, for the large SCA 
(http://www.sca.org/) event there.  Once, when flying back, they were trying 
some sort of AI out at the Pittsburgh airport machines, and apparently I 
triggered some unexpected results.

I had used all available space in packing up, and filled the drum with dirty 
clothes, since they certainly won't hurt the drum.  It turns out when filled 
the X-Ray AI decided I had a nuclear warhead.  Without it, it was "unknown 
object."  Clearly, since I was carrying it, it wasn't what the AI thought, so 
it was funny, not scarry.

--Michael

---

From: Spencer Dawkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 11:07:17 -0500

Apparently the ruleset to detect "dirty bombs" still needs a little tuning, 
perhaps?

Spencer

---

From: Ray Pelletier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 12:22:48 -0400

Any chance of adding a guitar and a keyboard?
Ray

Spencer Dawkins wrote:

> Apparently the ruleset to detect "dirty bombs" still needs a little 
> tuning, perhaps?
>
> Spencer
>
>

---

From: Michael Graff <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 11:26:42 -0500

> Apparently the ruleset to detect "dirty bombs" still needs a little tuning,

From what the talkative pre-TSA worker told me, the machines were used to scan 
incoming items for various military bases (well, that was the AI's purpose) 
and they got the machines from storage.  Among other things that it had 
detected shampoo/conditioner sets (it didn't expect to see two slightly 
different bottles) and any coiled wires (which it would call "springs.")

The first, and last, TSA agent I've actually enjoyed talking with.

--Michael

---

From: Ed Jankiewicz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 11:38:50 -0500

given the vagaries of getting instruments hand-carried on airplane 
cabins, I hesitate to pack any more than a travel guitar or a uke.  
small but quiet.  But if I know there would be some interest in jamming, 
I might take a chance and bring my well-traveled and nearly 
indestructible mostly plastic Ovation...

For Vancouver and future meetings, might I suggest that anyone who feels 
up to packing/carrying an instrument do so, and we will look for 
opportunities for ad hoc musical aggregations?

-- 
Ed Jankiewicz - SRI International
Fort Monmouth Branch Office - IPv6 Research 
Supporting DISA Standards Engineering Branch
732-389-1003 or  [email-masked]

---

From: Tom Vest <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 14:53:14 -0400

Would these be acceptable for Vancouver?

(part of the Packet Droppers Road Rig)

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx? 
ObjectId=890&ParentId=60

Tom

---

From: Matt Pounsett <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 07:56:53 -0500

> http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx? 

We have a road rig?  Tom, you've been holding out!  :)
Since we're all adding to the percussives, I should see if I can find  
a safe way to pack my bodhran.

Matt

---

From: Ben Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 10:11:06 -0500

On Jul 28, 2007, at 7:56 AM, Matt Pounsett wrote:
> Since we're all adding to the percussives, I should see if I can  
> find a safe way to pack my bodhran.
>

This is starting to sound like a lot of fun. Does anyone have  
thoughts about how to mix louder or amplified instruments in with the  
smaller (read: not very loud) hand drums. Perhaps the people posting  
on the House of Blues sub-thread on sound reinforcement have thoughts  
on the matter?

Also if anyone has further thoughts on how to travel with these  
things and not causing a nuclear scare, it might be helpful. Would it  
make sense to ship a drum to the hotel in advance of arrival?

---

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 12:03:45 -0400

Sure.  You need a sound system.  A standard concert rig would do it.
You mic everything (or jack into the amp if the performer is happy with
that) and mix.  Getting good sound on a hand drum can be tricky, but
definitely doable.

Not something I carry to IETFs.  Actually, the only stuff I have at home
wouldn't do well on any airplane ride, but normal gig stuff would.

It can be rented pretty easily.

I'm game to run it, but we'd have to come up with a viable way to rent
something.

Brian

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Ben Campbell [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Saturday, July 28, 2007 11:11 AM
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [69ATTENDEES] hand drums?
> 
>

---

From: Spencer Dawkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 18:09:22 -0500

Hi, Ray,

> Any chance of adding a guitar and a keyboard?

We should continue in the great IETF tradition of "permissive, not 
proscriptive", I'm thinking. It's not like anyone ever auditioned for ANY of 
this...

Part of the trick seems to be "breaking down quickly and quietly", but I'd 
think that anything that works on this would work for us.

I'm thinking 
http://www.yamaha.com/drums/hipgig.html?CTID=5040578&CNTYP=PRODUCT may be a 
little over the top (mostly because I can't imagine breaking them down 
without cymbal noise), but no telling what people will show up with.

See you in Vancouver...

Spencer

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 16:21:25 -0700 (PDT)

I could torture everyone with an accordion :-)

Ole J. Jacobsen

---

From: Ed Jankiewicz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 12:45:32 -0500

typically in horror movies, a wheezy pipe organ sound is used for spooky 
scoring.  Occasionally an accordion is used to signal the presence of a 
polkageist.

but seriously folks - for Philly next year, I'll be within driving 
distance and can supply some equipment.  Perhaps there is someone in the 
Vancouver vicinity that could do the same?  The idea of renting locally 
is good, but my experience with renting sound equipment is that it is 
usually overpriced and under-engineered.

---

From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 19:32:39 +0100

we need more foot drums.

And bagpipes.

L.

---

From: Thomas Roessler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 14:50:56 -0400

> And bagpipes.

I'll take the jackhammer.

Cheers,
-- 
Thomas Roessler, W3C <[email-masked]>

---

From: "Von-Hugo, Dirk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 11:30:21 +0200

Hi folks
That's the idea how to replace the social event in case no host will be found - let's have a session ...
Regards
Dirk

---

From: Paul Aitken <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 11:18:06 +0100

> I'll take the jackhammer.

Sacrilege!

-- 
Paul Aitken
Cisco Systems Ltd, Edinburgh, Scotland.

---

From: Spencer Dawkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 06:17:00 -0500

With apologies to Jon Postel ...

From: "Paul Aitken" <[email-masked]>

>> I'll take the jackhammer.

I think if we agree now to be conservative in what we take to the IETF 
meetings and liberal in what we're willing to listen to once we get there, 
the result may be the best we can achieve in a group of a thousand or so 
people ;-)

Thanks,

Spencer, who promises to back off exponentially if everyone else will, 
too...

---

From: Jeff Hodges <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 09:39:32 -0700

Tom Vest wrote:
 > http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=890&ParentId=60

yeah, but they might be overkill too ;)

Ben Campbell wrote:
 >
 > Does anyone have thoughts
 > about how to mix louder or amplified instruments in with the smaller
 > (read: not very loud) hand drums.

well, if the roland v-drum set pointed to above is the only stuff requiring an 
amp, it can be easily accommodated with just a simple "keyboard amp" (guitar 
amps don't have the necessary range). I have a set of v-drums, and they can be 
turned down such that they aren't any louder than the hand percussives. They 
are ambiently pretty quiet as compared to other electronic drum pads -- because 
their heads are mesh and don't resonate (very much).

=JeffH

---

From: Tina TSOU <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 11:07:06 +0800

Hi,
My instrument is not easily portable, as it is a piano.
If we could find a piano or keyboard in the hotel bar to borrow and move it, 
I would join you.
Would you let us know which melody we gonna play? I'd better practice it in 
advance.

B. R.
Tina
+86-755-28972912 (Office)    +86-13922884380 (Mobile)
Messengers:
MSN: [email-masked]   Yahoo: tina_tsou    Skype: tinaTSOU    Jabber: 
[email-masked]    Google talk: [email-masked]

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Jeff Hodges" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 12:39 AM
Subject: Re: [69ATTENDEES] hand drums?

> well, if the roland v-drum set pointed to above is the only stuff 
> requiring an amp, it can be easily accommodated with just a simple 
> "keyboard amp" (guitar amps don't have the necessary range). I have a set 
> of v-drums, and they can be turned down such that they aren't any louder 
> than the hand percussives. They are ambiently pretty quiet as compared to 
> other electronic drum pads -- because their heads are mesh and don't 
> resonate (very much).
>
>
> =JeffH
>
>