Subject: [6gip] STIN and 6G

From: Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2021 15:24:53 +0100

Space Terrestrial Integrated Network (STIN) is an acronym suggested also 
at TR-FG-NET2030 Sub-G1 of year 2020 (URL available), which is a focus 
group on Technologies for Network 2030, at ITU-T; the year 2030 suggests 
that this might happen at the same time as 6G.

A STIN network is something like the Space X's Starlink satellite 
network, or like the upcoming European initiative recently invoked by T. 
Breton and dubbed as a 3rd infrastructure in addition to Galileo 
(localization) and Copernicus (weather, pollution).

In the past, space-oriented organisations such as CNES (or ESA?) have 
already declared working on 5G, so it is expected that they might work 
on 6G too.

I think that 6G might be more concentrating on the air interface to the 
user, and probably develop more of a flat and universal core.  That core 
might plug into 6G base stations as much as it might plug into satellite 
IP networks.

STIN also considers the use of 'quantum' for crypto.

I would like to propose working on STIN and 6G, because it looks to be a 
promissing field.

Alex