Subject: [6lo] Modularity of draft-schoenw-6lo-lowpan-mib

From: Ulrich Herberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 11:19:13 -0800

I interpreted the general feeling in the room to be that this is a
very useful draft that fits well in the charter, and people seemed to
be in favor of WG adoption. There were some concerns about modularity
of the MIB module, in particular once we have the other IP-over-foo
documents, e.g., would we require a common part of the 6lowpan MIB
module and then optional parts of the MIB module for each type of
technologies?

We would like to see some discussion and hopefully some reviews of the
draft with that in mind. Ideally, I want to ask for WG adoption in
beginning of December, of course depending on the discussion.

Regards
Ulrich

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 20:25:22 +0100

> module and then optional parts of the MIB module for each type of

So far, I do not see a technical reason to split the module or
something like that. Concerning the mesh counters, I propose to make
them conditionally mandatory.

In MIB modules, it is possible to group a number of objects and to
organize the conformance statement in such a way that the counters are
mandatory only if a certain feature is implemented (mesh header
processing in this case). In other boxes, implementations such as
Contiki that do not do mesh header processing would be compliant
without implementing any of the counters. We might leave a counter,
though, to count the frames with mesh headers receveid that were
dropped.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 16:33:01 +0100

> though, to count the frames with mesh headers receveid that were

I have just posted revision -01. Next to some wording changes, I
have made the mesh counters conditionally mandatory. Find the
diff here: 

http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-schoenw-6lo-lowpan-mib-01

/js