Subject: [6lo] draft-ietf-6man-default-iids-01.txt

From: Samita Chakrabarti <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 00:03:30 +0000

Hello All:

Fernando has published a new version of the document. We had fair amount of discussions about this draft in this list.

Please review the document and provide feedback to the 6lo and 6man lists:
- If the modification looks okay for 6lo documents or any further change is needed

Thanks,
-Samita

-----Original Message-----
From: ipv6 [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2014 1:46 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-6man-default-iids-01.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Recommendation on Stable IPv6 Interface Identifiers
        Authors         : Fernando Gont
                          Alissa Cooper
                          Dave Thaler
                          Will Liu
	Filename        : draft-ietf-6man-default-iids-01.txt
	Pages           : 7
	Date            : 2014-10-08

Abstract:
   The IPv6 addressing architecture defines Modified EUI-64 format
   Interface Identifiers, and the existing IPv6 over various link-layers
   specify how such identifiers are derived from the underlying link-
   layer address (e.g., an IEEE LAN MAC address) when employing IPv6
   Stateless Address Autoconfiguration (SLAAC).  The security and
   privacy implications of embedding hardware addresses in the Interface
   Identifier have been known and understood for some time now, and some
   popular IPv6 implementations have already deviated from such schemes
   to mitigate these issues.  This document changes the recommended
   default Interface Identifier generation scheme to that specified in
   RFC7217, and recommends against embedding hardware addresses in IPv6
   Interface Identifiers.  It formally updates RFC2464, RFC2467,
   RFC2470, RFC2491, RFC2492, RFC2497, RFC2590, RFC3146, RFC3572,
   RFC4291, RFC4338, RFC4391, RFC5072, and RFC5121, wihch require IPv6
   Interface Identifiers to be derived from the underlying link-layer
   address.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-default-iids/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6man-default-iids-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-6man-default-iids-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------