Subject: [6lo] #13 (routing-dispatch): Root as reference for compression

From: "6lo issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2016 11:33:56 -0000

#13: Root as reference for compression

 From: Tengfei Chang [mailto:[email-masked]]
 Sent: mardi 19 janvier 2016 14:00
 To: Pascal Thubert (pthubert) <[email-masked]>
 Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; Routing Over Low power and Lossy
 networks <[email-masked]>
 Subject: Re: [6tisch] Proposed improvement in RH3-6LoRH

 Hello Pascal,

 Thanks a lot for the detailed answer! I think it solves all my concern. I
 will vote for it!

 Tengfei

 On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 11:00 AM, Pascal Thubert (pthubert)
 <[email-masked]> wrote:
 Hello Tengfei:

 Basically the change proposal accounts for the assumption that the last
 segment may be different, which comes with the idea of supporting non RPL
 leaves. If you look at it the original RH4 (RFC 6554) makes a difference
 for the last hop.

 Also, the root is the one computing the 6LoRH so it is easier for it to
 take its own address as reference.

 Finally the text is unclear about which bits from the destination are to
 be used.

 All in all, using the root as reference makes more sense than using the
 final destination as I had initially proposed. So the new proposal is not
 a merge but an instead, with clarifying text about the process I showed in
 the picture.

-- 
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:               |      Owner:  draft-ietf-6lo-routing-
  [email-masked]     |  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect       |     Status:  new
 Priority:  major        |  Milestone:
Component:  routing-     |    Version:
  dispatch               |   Keywords:
 Severity:  -            |
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/6lo/trac/ticket/13>
6lo <https://tools.ietf.org/6lo/>

---

From: "6lo issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2016 11:34:10 -0000

Changes (by [email-masked]):

 * owner:  [email-masked] => [email-masked]

-- 
--------------------------------+---------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]  |       Owner:  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect              |      Status:  new
 Priority:  major               |   Milestone:
Component:  routing-dispatch    |     Version:
 Severity:  -                   |  Resolution:
 Keywords:                      |
--------------------------------+---------------------------------

Ticket URL: <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/6lo/trac/ticket/13#comment:1>
6lo <https://tools.ietf.org/6lo/>

---

From: "6lo issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2016 11:36:03 -0000

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 Added following text

 4.3.  Compressing Addresses

    The general technique used in this draft to compress an address is
    first to determine a reference that as a long prefix match with this
    address, and then elide that matching piece.  In order to reconstruct
    the compress address, the receiving node will perform the process of
    coalescence described in section Section 4.3.1.

    One possible reference is the root of the RPL DODAG that is being
    traversed.  It is used to compress an outer IP-in-IP header, and if
    the root is the source of the packet, the technique allows to fully
    elide the source address in the compressed form of the IP header.  If
    the root is not the encapsulator, then the encapsulator address may
    still be compressed using the root as reference.  How the address of
    the root is determined is discussed in Section 4.3.2.

    Once the address of the source of the packet is determined, it
    becomes the reference for the compression of the addresses that are
    located in compressed RH3 headers that are present inside the IP-in-
    IP encapsulation in the uncompressed form.

Ticket URL: <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/6lo/trac/ticket/13#comment:2>
6lo <https://tools.ietf.org/6lo/>

---

From: "6lo issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2016 11:36:13 -0000

* status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => fixed

-- 
--------------------------------+---------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]  |       Owner:  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect              |      Status:  closed
 Priority:  major               |   Milestone:
Component:  routing-dispatch    |     Version:
 Severity:  -                   |  Resolution:  fixed
 Keywords:                      |
--------------------------------+---------------------------------

Ticket URL: <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/6lo/trac/ticket/13#comment:3>
6lo <https://tools.ietf.org/6lo/>

---

From: "6lo issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2016 16:04:43 -0000

Published with version 04

Ticket URL: <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/6lo/trac/ticket/13#comment:4>
6lo <https://tools.ietf.org/6lo/>