Subject: [6lo] FW: I-D Action: draft-rashid-6lo-iid-assignment-00.txt

From: AbdurRashidSangi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2016 07:13:42 +0000

Hello everyone,

We have submitted a first draft to designate 6LBR to assign IIDs for failed DAD. Currently, DAD cycle is repeated until the conceived IID isn't declared unique. To remove the overhead of repeated DAD cycle, this document enables 6LBR to suggest an IID (to 6LN) for failed DAD. It improves the overall network performance by avoiding repeated DAD cycle.

Looking forward to get your comments.

Thanks.
Rashid Sangi.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 2016年3月16日 15:51
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D Action: draft-rashid-6lo-iid-assignment-00.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Designating 6LBR for IID Assignment
        Authors         : Abdur Rashid Sangi
                          Mach (Guoyi)Chen
                          Charles E. Perkins
	Filename        : draft-rashid-6lo-iid-assignment-00.txt
	Pages           : 9
	Date            : 2016-03-16

Abstract:
   In IPv6 Stateless Address Autoconfiguration (SLAAC), use of a random
   interface identifier (IID) is a common practice to promote privacy.
   If there are a very large number of nodes, as has been discussed in
   several use cases, the effect will to proportionately increase the
   number of IIDs.  A duplicate address detection (DAD cycle) is needed
   for each configured IID, introducing more and more overhead into the
   network.  Each failed DAD requires the initiating node to regenerate
   a new IID and undergo the DAD cycle again.  This document proposes an
   optimized approach that requires 6LBR (6LoWPAN Border Router) to
   provide a unique IID, avoiding the potential duplication.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-rashid-6lo-iid-assignment/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-rashid-6lo-iid-assignment-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/