Subject: [6lo] 6lo-ap-nd comments, ... misconfiguration/typo comment from remote

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2016 18:09:04 -0400

The major protection that this kind of thing provides is for when the
network operator makes a *typo* installing some new piece of equipment that
for some reason, has a static IPv6.
[Not a typo on your slide..!]

NMS/NOC equipement is likely to have a static address, and a DNS name, etc.
IP address allocation in non-IT operators is always a pain in the ass, which
is why we have all the RAs, and autoconfiguration, etc...

But, also given backbone-router, we expect to have ethernet attached devices
visible to the LLN, and some of those will be PCs, and open ethernet
switches, and the wrong stuff will get plugged.

(Hey, I did it two weeks ago: duplicated a VM, then updated the IP addresses,
and uped the interfaces, but failed to clear *all* the OLD v4 addresses like
a reboot would have done.  Took me three days to figure out why one guy
couldn't ask that server; because I could just fine on IPv6, and whenever the
new machine won the ARP race...)

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-