Subject: [6lo] RFC 8928 on Address-Protected Neighbor Discovery for Low-Power and Lossy Networks

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 12:05:07 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8928

        Title:      Address-Protected Neighbor Discovery for  
                    Low-Power and Lossy Networks 
        Author:     P. Thubert, Ed.,
                    B. Sarikaya, 
                    M. Sethi,
                    R. Struik
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       November 2020
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      29
        Updates:    RFC 8505

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-6lo-ap-nd-23.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8928

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8928

This document updates the IPv6 over Low-Power Wireless Personal Area
Network (6LoWPAN) Neighbor Discovery (ND) protocol defined in RFCs
6775 and 8505.  The new extension is called Address-Protected
Neighbor Discovery (AP-ND), and it protects the owner of an address
against address theft and impersonation attacks in a Low-Power and
Lossy Network (LLN).  Nodes supporting this extension compute a
cryptographic identifier (Crypto-ID), and use it with one or more of
their Registered Addresses. The Crypto-ID identifies the owner of the
Registered Address and can be used to provide proof of ownership of
the Registered Addresses. Once an address is registered with the
Crypto-ID and a proof of ownership is provided, only the owner of
that address can modify the registration information, thereby
enforcing Source Address Validation.

This document is a product of the IPv6 over Networks of Resource-constrained Nodes Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC