Subject: [6lowapp] Contributing to 6lowapp

From: Zach Shelby <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 15:33:37 +0300

Hi,

Now that 6lowapp is getting off the ground, and we will have a BOF 
proposal later today, I wanted to encourage people to contribute on the 
mailing list and especially with Internet-Drafts before Hiroshima:

2009-10-19 (Monday): Internet Draft Cut-off for initial document (-00) 
submission by 17:00 PDT (24:00 UTC/GMT), upload using IETF ID Submission 
Tool.

This is a great time to contribute, as we are now collecting 
requirements, experience and solutionlets that may later be part of a 
related working group's chartered work. Contributions could be related 
to any of the subjects listed on the wiki, or if we are missing your 
subject then let us know that too:
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/area/app/trac/wiki/6LowApp

IDs at this point can be short, incomplete or even just ideas. So don't 
worry about submitting something that is perfect...

For information on writing and submitting an Internet-Draft see:
http://www.ietf.org/id-info/guidelines.html

Please note IETF IPR policy:
http://www.ietf.org/about/note-well.html

Use naming like this to associate this towards the 6lowapp activity as 
an individual submission draft-(yourname)-6lowapp-(subject)-00

If you plan on contributing something, or if you are looking for 
co-authors feel free to let us know on the list or directly to Carsten 
and myself.

Regards,
Zach

-- 
http://www.sensinode.com
http://zachshelby.org - My blog “On the Internet of Things”
Mobile: +358 40 7796297

Zach Shelby
Head of Research
Sensinode Ltd.
Kidekuja 2
88610 Vuokatti, FINLAND

This e-mail and all attached material are confidential and may contain 
legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, 
please contact the sender and delete the e-mail from your system without 
producing, distributing or retaining copies thereof.

---

From: Brian Frank <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 13:45:25 -0400

I have resubmitted my Chopan Internet Draft (Compressed HTTP over PANs)
under 6lowapp:

  http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-frank-6lowapp-chopan-00.txt

I had submitted a previous version under 6lowpan.  This version is almost
exactly the same except for one tweak regarding compression of the
request-method based on some feedback from the HTTP guys.

The idea behind Chopan is that we aren't just creating the "Internet of
Things", but hopefully creating the "Web of Things", so that the world at
large can identify resources in "edge devices" using standard URIs.

Side note: I have started work on a binary oBIX encoding that might be one
potential payload over whatever 6lowapp protocol(s) we end up defining (see
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/obix-xml/200909/msg00000.html)

Brian

On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 8:33 AM, Zach Shelby <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Now that 6lowapp is getting off the ground, and we will have a BOF proposal
> later today, I wanted to encourage people to contribute on the mailing list
> and especially with Internet-Drafts before Hiroshima:
>
> This is a great time to contribute, as we are now collecting requirements,
> experience and solutionlets that may later be part of a related working
> group's chartered work. Contributions could be related to any of the
> subjects listed on the wiki, or if we are missing your subject then let us
> know that too:
> Use naming like this to associate this towards the 6lowapp activity as an
> individual submission draft-(yourname)-6lowapp-(subject)-00
>
> If you plan on contributing something, or if you are looking for co-authors
> feel free to let us know on the list or directly to Carsten and myself.
>
> Regards,
> Zach
>
> --
> http://www.sensinode.com
> _______________________________________________
> 6lowapp mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/6lowapp
>

---

From: Zach Shelby <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 23:10:28 +0300

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the submission - our first technical submission to 6lowapp by 
the way - huray!

One idea you included in the draft which will be important to keep in 
mind is how to encode the content and encoding type into a reasonable 
sized binary field for whatever protocols we develop here. You are 
suggesting two bytes is reasonable (I would more than agree). In one 
project we have used one byte which was also plenty for the varieties 
envisioned over e.g. 6LoWPAN. I think the challenge here will be a 
representation that IANA can keep track of values for and is yet easily 
extensible.

Brian Frank wrote:
> I had submitted a previous version under 6lowpan.  This version is 
> almost exactly the same except for one tweak regarding compression of 
> the request-method based on some feedback from the HTTP guys.
> 
> Things", but hopefully creating the "Web of Things", so that the world 
> at large can identify resources in "edge devices" using standard URIs.

Right! The loosely coupled URL model is really the core feature of the 
REST model. I also find REST methods just as useful, although the old 
request/response pull model of HTTP could use some new features for 
embedded networks (pushing events or pub/sub).

> Side note: I have started work on a binary oBIX encoding that might be 
> one potential payload over whatever 6lowapp protocol(s) we end up 
> defining 
> (see http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/obix-xml/200909/msg00000.html)
> 

Although I don't know much about the internal structure of oBIX (just 
the XML face of it), it sounds to me a lot like the encoding problem 
which the EXI algorithm does for XML. Note that you could easily apply 
EXI as an algorithm to encode oBIX without first turning your oBIX 
structure into XML. Your object types, facets, data types and string 
dictionaries are all handled there pretty nicely. If you need any help 
with that just drop me an e-mail.

- Zach

> Brian
> 
> 
> 
> On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 8:33 AM, Zach Shelby <[email-masked] 
> <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
> 
>     Hi,
> 
>     proposal later today, I wanted to encourage people to contribute on
>     the mailing list and especially with Internet-Drafts before Hiroshima:
> 
>     2009-10-19 (Monday): Internet Draft Cut-off for initial document
>     (-00) submission by 17:00 PDT (24:00 UTC/GMT), upload using IETF ID
>     Submission Tool.
> 
>     requirements, experience and solutionlets that may later be part of
>     a related working group's chartered work. Contributions could be
>     related to any of the subjects listed on the wiki, or if we are
>     missing your subject then let us know that too:
>     IDs at this point can be short, incomplete or even just ideas. So
>     don't worry about submitting something that is perfect...
> 
>     Use naming like this to associate this towards the 6lowapp activity
>     as an individual submission draft-(yourname)-6lowapp-(subject)-00
> 
>     co-authors feel free to let us know on the list or directly to
>     Carsten and myself.
> 
>     Regards,
>     Zach
> 
>     -- 
>     http://www.sensinode.com
>     This e-mail and all attached material are confidential and may
>     contain legally privileged information. If you are not the intended
>     recipient, please contact the sender and delete the e-mail from your
>     system without producing, distributing or retaining copies thereof.
>     [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 

Zach Shelby
Head of Research
Sensinode Ltd.
Kidekuja 2
88610 Vuokatti, FINLAND