Subject: [6lowapp] BOF proposal: update

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 22:31:18 +0200

Hi Carsten and al,

I have a few remarks/suggestions to complement the BOF proposal.
I would like to emphasize on the need for seamless integration of 
up-and-coming architectures and Web Services.

> Description:
> ...
> Still, it would be a mistake to start a new silo of application
> protocols that do not benefit from existing application area Internet
> experience. 
> The goal of 6lowapp is to produce application protocol and
> application commissioning solutions suitable for providing us the web
> for resource constrained devices suitable for use also over very
> constrained networks such as 6LoWPAN.
In the world of wireline embedded solution, the Device Profile for Web 
Services (DPWS) is now a recognized OASIS standard to provide low cost 
SOA solution at the device level, providing a complete solution both at 
the application protocol level and at the commissioning level.
In the wireless world, the DPWS solution can be used in conjunction with 
Binary XML encoding solutions such as EXI.

> 6lowapp WG Charter Outline:
> ---------------------------
> * This working group will not work on new content formats
>   or encodings, nor the compression or adaptation of HTTP. (to be 
expanded)
...but does not exclude considering standardized binary XML solutions to 
compress messages.

> 2. Application protocol:
>  ...
>   -- Features will include e.g. support for URLs, content types and
>      encodings, PULL and PUSH interaction models, basic REST methods,
>      both UDP and TCP, a simple form of cachability, and statelessness. 
Eventing is also important, e.g. WS-eventing (as provided by DPWS) using 
SOAP over UDP and Binary XML encoding.

>   -- Proxying with HTTP and SNMP must be straightforward.
Proposal:
   -- Proxying with HTTP, SNMP and WS-Management must be straightforward.

SNMP, despite a large installed based will likely decline in new 
architectures and will be replaced by new protocols like WS-Management. 
Seamless integration of WS-Management must be considered.

>  3. Application commissioning:
>  ...
>    -- Proxying with IP service discovery protocols such as SLP, SSDP or
>    DNS-SD must be straightforward.
Proposal:
     -- Proxying with IP service discovery protocols such as SLP, SSDP or
     DNS-SD or WS-Discovery as provided by DPWS must be straightforward.

Looking forward for your feedback.
Nicolas

---

From: Zach Shelby <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 00:07:42 +0200

Nicolas,

Great, this is really useful input regarding OASIS work. We specifically 
added OASIS in the charter for that reason. Now this is a good chance to 
align 6lowapp and OASIS!

> Binary XML encoding solutions such as EXI.

Definitely. Obviously some further DPWS optimization might be needed - 
but it is going in the right direction! So a goal would be that the 
6lowapp application protocol must be able to carry DPWS payloads? There 
may be interaction model issues to think of there (peer-to-peer?).

> ...but does not exclude considering standardized binary XML solutions to 

By supporting standard content-encodings (x-exi e.g.) this is easy. And 
of course application/octet-stream covers any.

> SOAP over UDP and Binary XML encoding.

OK, eventing will be added. I think this is covered by PUSH, but let's 
be explicit.

> Seamless integration of WS-Management must be considered.

Very good idea.

>      DNS-SD or WS-Discovery as provided by DPWS must be straightforward.

Let's add this as well.

Great feedback! Could you write a short draft on requirements to use 
OASIS DPWS and WS- solutions with 6lowapp work items?

Zach

> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> _______________________________________________
> 6lowapp mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/6lowapp

-- 
http://www.sensinode.com
http://zachshelby.org - My blog “On the Internet of Things”
Mobile: +358 40 7796297

Zach Shelby
Head of Research
Sensinode Ltd.
Kidekuja 2
88610 Vuokatti, FINLAND

This e-mail and all attached material are confidential and may contain 
legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, 
please contact the sender and delete the e-mail from your system without 
producing, distributing or retaining copies thereof.