Subject: [6tisch-security] some pointers to public-key crypto in standards and products

From: Rene Struik <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 09:45:29 -0400

Dear Pascal:

As requested, please find below some pointers to cryptographic support 
for public key operations in industry specifications and products.

Some standards and specifications that include public key support:
ZigBee IP, ISA SP100, ICAO ePassport, EMVCo chipcards, Connected 
vehicles (IEEE 1609.2, etc.), IEEE 802.11/Wifi Alliance, PIV access 
control card (FIPS 201, etc.), CoRE/Coap

Some chipsets:
http://www.atmel.com/Images/Atmel-8923S-CryptoAuth-ATECC508A-Datasheet-Summary.pdf
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/cc2538.pdf

Reference to any external standard or any external product does not 
indicate endorsement hereof or vouching for security claims.

There are thousands of academic papers on implementation of symmetric 
and public key crypto on small devices, including hundreds on more 
exotic - to mainstream audience - techniques on squeezing crypto on 
smaller and smaller devices (so-called light-weight cryptography). For 
those interested in a US DARPA initiative to create a complete 
anti-cloning solution (including crypto, antenna, packaging) for a 
penny, see http://www.darpa.mil/NewsEvents/Releases/2014/02/24.aspx.

Some of these aspects were discussed on the 6TiSCH security calls, most 
recently on the Feb 24, 2015 call:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/6tisch-security/current/msg00489.html

I hope this helps. It should at least provide some evidence that 
cryptographic components are fast reaching commodity status.

Final note: of course, there is still plenty of room to use crypto 
unwisely/imprudently. That is why people like me do not have to be idle.

Best regards, Rene

-- 
email: [email-masked] | Skype: rstruik
cell: +1 (647) 867-5658 | US: +1 (415) 690-7363

---

From: "Pascal Thubert (pthubert)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 14:00:42 +0000

Thanks René!

This is very helpful : )

Pascal

> -----Original Message-----
> From: 6tisch [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Rene Struik
> Sent: mercredi 11 mars 2015 14:45
> To: [email-masked]; tisch-security
> Subject: [6tisch] some pointers to public-key crypto in standards and
products
> 
> Dear Pascal:
> 
> As requested, please find below some pointers to cryptographic support for
> public key operations in industry specifications and products.
> 
> ZigBee IP, ISA SP100, ICAO ePassport, EMVCo chipcards, Connected vehicles
> (IEEE 1609.2, etc.), IEEE 802.11/Wifi Alliance, PIV access control card
(FIPS 201,
> etc.), CoRE/Coap
indicate
> endorsement hereof or vouching for security claims.
> 
> There are thousands of academic papers on implementation of symmetric and
> public key crypto on small devices, including hundreds on more exotic - to
> mainstream audience - techniques on squeezing crypto on smaller and
smaller
> devices (so-called light-weight cryptography). For those interested in a
US
> DARPA initiative to create a complete anti-cloning solution (including
crypto,
> antenna, packaging) for a penny, see
> http://www.darpa.mil/NewsEvents/Releases/2014/02/24.aspx.
> 
cryptographic
> components are fast reaching commodity status.
> 
> _______________________________________________
> 6tisch mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/6tisch

---

From: Kris Pister <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 15:23:48 -0700

What would really be useful is a more technical summary of how public key
is being used in these various standards.
What curve(s) does Bluetooth use?  isa100?
What protocols?  ECDH, ECDSA, MQV, X.5o9 certs, ...?
What are the packet sizes?  Are they compressing the certificates? If so 
how?

ksjp

On 3/11/2015 7:00 AM, Pascal Thubert (pthubert) wrote:
>> 6tisch-security mailing list
>> [email-masked]
>> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/6tisch-security