Subject: [6tisch] minutes webex 15 November 2013

From: Thomas Watteyne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 10:19:17 -0800

All,

You will find the minutes of this week's webex below.

FYI, all the minutes and slides are archived a
https://bitbucket.org/6tisch/meetings/.

Thanks to Xavi and Pascal for taking notes!

As usual, please fix anything we might have missed directly in the e-mail
and reply.

Thomas

-----

Minutes Webex 15 November 2013, 6TiSCH WG

Note: timestamps in PST.
Taking notes *(using Etherpad)*

   1. Xavi Vilajosana
   2. Pascal Thubert
   3. Thomas Watteyne

Present *(alphabetically)*

   1. Diego Dujovne
   2. Elvis Vogli
   3. Giuseppe Piro
   4. Guillaume Gaillard
   5. Maria Rita Palattella
   6. Pascal Thubert
   7. Patrick Wetterwald
   8. Penny Chen
   9. Pouria Zand
   10. Qin Wang
   11. Raghuram Sudhaakar
   12. Rouhollah Nabati
   13. Thomas Watteyne
   14. Tina Tsou
   15. Xavi Vilajosana

Recording

   - Webex recording (audio+slides,streaming)
   -
   https://cisco.webex.com/ciscosales/lsr.php?AT=pb&amp;SP=MC&amp;rID=73096312&amp;rKey=2d32af095b414ecc<https://cisco.webex.com/ciscosales/lsr.php?AT=pb&SP=MC&rID=73096312&rKey=2d32af095b414ecc>
    *[58min]*

Slides

   - slides_131115_webex.ppt<https://bitbucket.org/6tisch/meetings/src/master/131115_webex/slides_131115_webex.ppt>:
   slides shared during the call

Action Items

   - *Thomas* to create place for sharing 6TiSCH-related slideware and list
   presentations/publications.
   - *Thomas* to send link to Vancouver summary to 6TiSCH ML.
   - *Thomas* to upload draft minutes to IETF88 minutes.
   - *Qin* to give a talk next Friday about how easy and extensive is to
   map 15.4e to 6top.
   - *Thomas* to send details about coman ML to 6TiSCH ML.
   - *Chairs* to coordinate with authors to resubmit drafts as WG documents.

Agenda

   - Administrivia *[2min]*
      - Approval agenda
      - Presentations about 6TiSCH
   - IETF88 Vancouver meeting *[20min]*
      - (amended) agenda
      - official summary
      - adoption minutes
      - 6top reorganization
      - coordination with 6lo/NETCONF
   - Adoption WG documents *[5min]*
      - draft-palattella-6tisch-terminology-00
      - draft-watteyne-6tisch-tsch-00
      - draft-thubert-6tisch-architecture-01
      - draft-vilajosana-6tisch-minimal-00
   - update IEEE meeting *[10min]*
   - Slot Allocation Principles *[20min]*
   - AOB *[1min]*

Minutes

   - *[08.05]* Meeting starts > *Thomas* covers IPR note well, and
   indicates call recorded. Presents agenda for today
   - Administrivia
      - Approval agenda

      No issues are raised. Agenda approved.

      - Presentations about 6TiSCH
         - *Thomas* proposes to have a folder in the meetings repo to
         store/share slideware that we present around 6TiSCH.

         Action item: *Thomas* to create place for sharing 6TiSCH-related
         slideware and list presentations/publications.

         - *Diego* presented in Argentina a week before the Vancouver
         meeting to the Nacional Universidad of Cordoba. General
introduction about
         IEEE802.15.4, IEEE802.15.4e, 6LoWPAN, 6TiSCH, OTF.
         - *[Maria Rita]* Slides on 6TiSCH presented at esIoT can be moved
         to there, too. Are now hard to find.
         - *[Thomas]* Will do.
         - *[Xavi]* Presented 6TiSCH at gogoNET yesterday. Lots of good
         feedback, probably online video with many views. Agrees on sharing the
         slides.
      - IETF88 Vancouver meeting (20min)
      - (amended) agenda
         - *Thomas* acknowledges *Dominique*'s excellent presenttation on
         the coverage and gap analysis.
      - Summary
         - 40-50 people attended meeting?
         - Summary sent to to IESG.

         Action item: *Thomas* to send link to Vancouver summary to 6TiSCH
         ML.

         - Remark fro *Mehmet Ersue* and *Emmanual Baccelli*: work at
         NETCONF similar to our work on CoAP also 6lo. We should converge on a
         common solution to monitor and manage LLNs
         - *Yoshihiro Ohba* presented the security draft.
         - Some discussion about OTF scheduling.
         - *[Xavi]* Carsten Bormann commented about the focus on data model
         and information model that the interface should be described in a more
         formal way. This fits our plan to use YANG.
      - adoption minutes
         - Draft minutes of Vancouver meeting sent to ML. Call for adoption
         in the call.

         No issues raised. Draft minutes approved.

         - Need to upload draft minutes into IETF88 proceedings,

         Action item: *Thomas* to upload draft minutes to IETF88 minutes.

         - 6top reorganization
         - *Pascal* presents the draft organization today. Indicates the
         blocks of each draft.
         - A suggestion has been done to focus the 6top draft to the
         interface (in english) and also the data model:
         - interactions, options, etc. stay in CoAP draft.
         - remainder of the components are not chartered, so we will keep
         them in another document (personal I-D submission for now).
         - *Qin* proposed a re-organization of the 6top work in a private
         e-mail. Interaction of 15.4e and 6top has to be specified in detail.
         - Proposed re-organization that fits Qin's proposal.
         - Block diagram organization (from generic -- top -- to more
         specific -- bottom -- of the diagram) not related to any layered
         organization
         - *Pascal* indicates that the idea is that the mapping progresses
         as a personal submission and will become RFC later.
         - *Thomas* insists that all pieces are equally important, just
         sequenced in time.
         - *[Qin]* interface of 6top has to be mapped very precisely to
         IEEE802.15.4e MLME.
         - *[Thomas]* If we choose to cut the draft in 2 or 3: potentially
         all of them will become RFCs, this means that we are not
trying to split
         things to reduce precision, but just for organization.
         - *[Thomas]* Should we add the mapping of 6top to TSCH MLME to the
         6top draft?
         - *[Thomas]* Using the same document, enables a more complete
         definition (implementable) but the scope can be too wide.
         - *[Xavi]* what is the value if we do not have the mapping. 6top
         is not implementable without the mapping.
         - *[Pascal]* Having the interface can be a first step and enables
         us to re-charter and then focus to the lower mapping. Of course is
         necessary but separating enables better organization.
         - *[Pascal]* We need to start the mapping document now, and put as
         much info as we have there but then the completeness can be
achieved on a
         longer time scale.

         Action item: *Qin* to give a talk next Friday about how easy and
         extensive is to map 15.4e to 6top.

         - coordination with 6lo/NETCONF
         - Monitoring and management is not a problem specific to 6TiSCH at
         all, even in LLN space.
         - 6lo has a draft on using SNMP to read counters.
         - 6TiSCH has a draft involving the use of YANG and CoAP.
         - NETCONF has a draft called RESTCONF: a restful version of
         NETCONF, which uses HTTP to configure and retrieve YANG-based
information.
         - Talk with them and proposed/asked to have a CoAP version of
         RESTCONF. This is beyond 6TiSCH. We agreed that this effort
might fit to
         what we are doing. 6lo will write the requirements. RESTCONF
authors will
         work on the reduced/coap definition.
         - *[Raghuram]* We should follow up, please indicate coman mailing
         list.

         Action item: *Thomas* to send details about coman ML to 6TiSCH ML.

         - Adoption WG documents
      - The adoption of the following drafts as WG documents was proposed
      in Vancouver:
         - draft-palattella-6tisch-terminology-00
         - draft-watteyne-6tisch-tsch-00
         - draft-thubert-6tisch-architecture-01
         - draft-vilajosana-6tisch-minimal-00
      - Any issues to adopting them on this call?

      No issues raised.

      - Today is deadline for raising issues on the ML

      Action items: *chairs* to coordinate with authors to resubmit drafts
      as WG documents.

      - update IEEE meeting (10min)
      - *Pascal* attended 802.1 TSN meeting. Norman Finn proposed
      interesting approach for L2 to snoop RSVP packets.
      - Interest in agreeing on a L3 interaction so we can make use of
      underlying technology.
      - the slides will be published and give feedback on the ML.
      - *[Thomas]* Is there a pointer to look how RSVP is integrated on
      that L2.
      - *[Pascal]* The model is to use mac addresses in the rsvp packets.
      - *[Thomas]* One very important point in effort to coordinate with
      IEEE. The IEEE is considering changing the rules for IE idenfifiers. They
      are considering removing the unmanaged space of IE identifiers. This is
      very dangerous for 6TiSCH work, which uses unmanaged space. Wihout it,
      IEEE802.15.4e will loose a lot of its flexibility and the 6TiSCH WG will
      not be able to use different IEs.
      - PLC networks (IEEE 1901) is also adopting 15.4 headers, and e MAC
      layer as well.
   - *[08.57]* Slot Allocation Principles
      - *[Pascal]* We need more time for this topic, lets move it to
      another slot with more time.
      - Same slides as presented in Vancouver. Very important work, lots of
      feedback.
      - cEncourage people working on OTF to move forward and align with the
      presentation.
      - *[Maria Rita]* Suggest to set this at the beginning of the next
      week and have the discussion then.
      - *[Thomas]* Agreed.
      - *[Pascal]* Ted Lemon pointed out that we got good meeting and good
      presentations.
   - *[09.02]* AOB

   No other business raised.

   - *[09.02]* Meeting ends