Subject: [6tisch] The IoT may get many orders of magnitude bigger

From: Tom Phinney <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 07:45:16 -0700

http://spectrum.ieee.org/nanoclast/semiconductors/nanotechnology/graphenebased-nanoantennas-could-speed-up-wireless-networks

---

From: Xavier Vilajosana Guillen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 18:52:40 +0100

We will need nano-radios, nano-protocols and nano-rfcs...

X

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 3:45 PM, Tom Phinney <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://spectrum.ieee.org/nanoclast/semiconductors/
> nanotechnology/graphenebased-nanoantennas-could-speed-up-wireless-networks
> _______________________________________________
> 6tisch mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/6tisch
>

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 19:04:25 +0100

The interviewed person is known in the nano-communications field.  He 
sometimes talked also about nanocomm as exchanges of phéromones between 
insects; this is not bad per se, but illustrates a certain difference. 
Pigeon communications is also very seriously taken care of, despite the 
known April Fool's RFC, no ironical remark.

In this report it is ack'ed that these antennas would work in the 'low 
end of the terahertz frequency range, between 0.1 and 10 terahertz.' 
i.e. submilimeter.  Even if that is a good achievement compared to the 
length of vibrating nano-meter tube, it may still be too high frequency 
for IP.

The highest frequency range where IP has set foot is below 25GHz. 
People may try to get it maybe at 60GHz for very short distance (meter?) 
radars.  But even at that range it is doubtful it may happen.

Other possibilities may be very high altitude where there is no water in 
the atmosphere.  That means not on Earth, and objects relatively close 
to each other.

But I am not sure IP is seriously considered even at 6GHz range...

Alex

Le 17/12/2013 18:52, Xavier Vilajosana Guillen a écrit :
> On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 3:45 PM, Tom Phinney <[email-masked]
> <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
>
>     http://spectrum.ieee.org/__nanoclast/semiconductors/__nanotechnology/graphenebased-__nanoantennas-could-speed-up-__wireless-networks
>     <http://spectrum.ieee.org/nanoclast/semiconductors/nanotechnology/graphenebased-nanoantennas-could-speed-up-wireless-networks>
>
>     _________________________________________________
>     6tisch mailing list
>     [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
>     https://www.ietf.org/mailman/__listinfo/6tisch
>     <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/6tisch>
>
>
>
>