Subject: [6tisch] an idea about 1X and 6tisch

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2015 15:10:43 -0400

Alexander Pelov suggested something interesting.
1. CoAPie gives us CoAP across link-layer constructs.
2. EAP-over-CoAP [such as: marin-ace-wg-coap-eap] lets us move EAP using CoAP.

The result is that one could, conceptually use this to build a 1X-like
enrollment system.  I'm not sure which layer does
fragmentation/fraglettation; or even if there is enough bytes left over to
make this useful at all.

--
]               Never tell me the odds!                 | ipv6 mesh networks [
]   Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works        | network architect  [
]     [email-masked]  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [

---

From: Rafa Marin Lopez <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2015 11:31:30 +0200

Hi Michael:

Regarding EAP-over-CoAP, we will update our draft before Yokohama.

Best Regards.
El 26/09/2015, a las 21:10, Michael Richardson <[email-masked]> escribió:

> _______________________________________________
> 6tisch mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/6tisch

-------------------------------------------------------
Rafael Marin Lopez, PhD
Dept. Information and Communications Engineering (DIIC)
Faculty of Computer Science-University of Murcia
30100 Murcia - Spain
Telf: +34868888501 Fax: +34868884151 e-mail: [email-masked]
-------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Alexander Pelov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2015 10:08:02 +0200

Dear Michael, dear Rafa, dear all,

Thanks for getting back the discussion on using EAP over CoAP for AAA in 
6TiSCH. This will also make it cross-compatible with long-range radio 
AAA, which will also use EAP-over-CoAP.

I would say that we have the chance that the EAP over CoAP is still a 
(advanced) draft, so there could be exchanges to make sure that the two 
are well-adapted to each other.

For example, we could use CoAP block transfer for EAP message 
fragmentation (as suggested by the CoAP IE draft). There are some other 
ways in which we could use CoAP-only based fragmentation, but I would 
first like to see if there is any problem related to the block transfer 
(e.g. DOS?) as it would be my favorite.

I would also think that we could borrow some ideas from LTE key 
derivation, where with a single MSK (provided by the EAP process) we 
could derive as many keys as we want, and also have seamless roaming 
(keeping the perfect forward security property) of the communications.

Best,
Alexander