Subject: [6tisch] Fwd: New Non-WG Mailing List: lp-wan -- Low-Power Wide Area Networking (LP-WAN), also known as LPWA or Low-Rate WAN (LR-WAN)

From: Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 13:30:43 -0500

All,
     This new mailing list may be of interest. It is hosting discussion
on deploying IP on very constrained wireless systems.

Regards,
Brian

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: New Non-WG Mailing List: lp-wan -- Low-Power Wide Area
Networking (LP-WAN), also known as LPWA or Low-Rate WAN (LR-WAN)
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 12:05:12 -0800
From: IETF Secretariat <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: IETF Announcement List <[email-masked]>

A new IETF non-working group email list has been created.

List address: [email-masked]
Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/search/?email_list=lp-wan
To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lp-wan

Purpose:

An LP-WAN has unique constraints, not seen until now - operation in the
ISM bands (unlicensed spectrum), very low throughput (300 bps - 50
kbps), very high density (10 000-100 000 nodes per Access Point (AP)),
infrastructure networks (star topology, no need for routing), AP
diversity (several APs can receive the same signal), coexistence of
public networks (country-wide) and private networks (city, building,
campus). Asymmetric links are also common, with at least one major
technology providing exclusively unidirectional data services.

LP-WANs will form the backbone of major IoT applications related to many
domains, such as Smart City, Smart Metering, ITS and are expected to
connect 3 billion devices by 2020. There are several such LP- WAN radio
technologies (Semtech LoRa, SigFox, Qowisio, others), each having a
proprietary, locked-in, non-standard solution for addressing,
localization, security, provisioning, AAA, etc. This is the case because
the stringent LP-WAN constraints do not allow for classical approaches
to be used as-is.

The goal of this mailing list is to discuss the problems that arise in
LP-WANs and how the IETF-based solutions apply to them. This is the
place to identify the candidate LP-WAN technologies, their specific
constraints and limitations, consider the corresponding IETF approaches,
and discuss the need for profiles or adaptations of the existing solutions.

For additional information, please contact the list administrators.